Start by marking “Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 126 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #126)” as Want to Read:
Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 126 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #126)

Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 126 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #126)

FICTION
"The Discovered Country" by Ian R. MacLeod
"At the Cross-Time Jaunter's Ball" by Alexander Jablokov

NON-FICTION
"SF Short Fiction Markets in China:
Published August 1st 2017 by Wyrm Publishing (first published March 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 126, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 126

Start your review of Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 126 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #126)
carol.
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to carol. by: Peter Tillman
"Waiting Out the End of the World in Patty's Place Cafe" by Naomi Kritzer.

Read because I'm a sucker for the end of the world.

Cathy
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018, magazines
"Waiting Out the End of the World in Patty's Place Cafe" by Naomi Kritzer

“I ran out of gas in Belle Fourche, South Dakota, just two hundred miles short of Pierre, my goal. Pierre, South Dakota, I mean, I wasn’t trying to get to someone named Pierre. I was trying to get to my parents, and Pierre was where they lived. I thought maybe, given that the world was probably ending in the next twenty-four hours, they’d want to talk to me.“

End of the World. Nothing else needed to make me read this. Nice.
Peter Tillman
This review is solely for "Waiting Out the End of the World in Patty's Place Cafe" by Naomi Kritzer. It's a great story. She's really getting her writing chops down. Go, Kritzer!

Opening paragraph:

"I ran out of gas in Belle Fourche, South Dakota, just two hundred miles short of Pierre, my goal. Pierre, South Dakota, I mean, I wasn’t trying to get to someone named Pierre. I was trying to get to my parents, and Pierre was where they lived. I thought maybe, given that the world was probably ending
Corinne
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So far only read:

Waiting Out the End of the World in Patty's Place Cafe by Naomi Kritzer 5* Available on Spotify
I liked it a lot. What would you do right before an Apocalyptic event? We watched the MC acknowledge and come to terms with a better *for her* choice. Lovely story, relevant and realistic with a great set of secondary characters.
G33z3r
A couple of likable stories, but nothing that knocked my socks off.

"Two Ways of Living" by Robert Reed —
I guess from the title we're to compare: 1. A person performing long periods of hibernation as a way of extending lifespan deeper into the future, and 2. An artificial intelligence living inside a dog. Unfortunately, I never made a connection with either party's motivation, and so although the story is rich in idea, it's storytelling is kind of bland and un-involving. **1/2*

"Real Ghosts" by
Jen
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-freebie
Review for “Waiting Out the End of the World at Patty’s Place Cafe”. I know I read this, but may not have been able to review it until I saw a friend review of it. Hard to know which compilation the stories I read are in. This story was great, loved it. Highly recommended. 5 stars.
Odo
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
3.5/5.0
Eric Mesa
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magazines
"Two Ways of Living" - A world in which humans can essentially hibernate by eating a ton of calories and then a chemical cocktail to go unconcious. Additionally, the person does not age. The short story essentially serves as a meditation on what kind of person would do such a thing and what their reasons might be. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending.

"Real Ghosts" - Every culture speaks with the dead, but there's a special emphasis on it among Asian cultures and that's where the world is
Michael Whiteman
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two Ways Of Living - Robert Reed **
A man tries to extend his lifespan by hibernating for years at a time. He meets a woman and her dog during several gaps, seeing the dog's voice-AI develop and her attitude change. Never really connected and the ending was a bit glib.

Real Ghosts - JB Park ***
An elderly man debates with his siblings and himself about being scanned so his "holo" can be recalled by family members after he dies. Well-realised bickering relationships among brothers and sisters, some
Cat M
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review is of "Waiting Out the End of the World in Patty's Place Cafe" by Naomi Kritzer.

A lovely, warmly queer story about apocalypses, both personal and global. Like always with Kritzer I appreciated the quiet, carefully-crafted characters, and the delightful sense of kindness that's a hallmark of her work, but sadly uncommon in these types of stories.
Richard
Good issue.
Dennis
Jul 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Place holder for Waiting Out the End of the World in Patty's Place Cafe by Naomi Kritzer
Pearse Anderson
Two main thoughts come to me: firstly, this is the best single issue of Clarkesworld I have read, just a bit worse than issue #119 but still a fun, quick read.
Secondly: I feel really good reading single issues, because it makes me believe in myself. Sometimes schlock can get published, and if that's printable so my work can be. Now, I'm not talking about the magazine being schlock, just the latter half-ish of this issue. "At the Cross-Time Jaunter's Ball" felt like a failed short film idea from
Daksha Patel

• Padre Pio: A Personal Portrait
  • Mono no Aware
  • The Christmas Angel Project
  • A Kiss With Teeth
Neil Clarke is best known as the editor and publisher of the Hugo and World Fantasy Award-winning Clarkesworld Magazine. Launched in October 2006, the online magazine has been a finalist for the Hugo Award for Best Semiprozine four times (winning three times), the World Fantasy Award four times (winning once), and the British Fantasy Award once (winning once). Neil is also a seven-time finalist ...more