Start by marking “Limelight (Penny Green #1)” as Want to Read:
Limelight (Penny Green #1)

Limelight

(Penny Green #1)

How did an actress die twice?

London, 1883. Actress Lizzie Dixie drowned in the River Thames, so how was she murdered five years later in Highgate Cemetery?

Intrepid Fleet Street reporter Penny Green was a friend of Lizzie’s and Scotland Yard needs her help. Does Penny unwittingly hold clues to Lizzie’s mysterious death? Penny must work with Inspector James Blakely to invest
Published February 28th 2017 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Limelight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Limelight

Start your review of Limelight (Penny Green #1)
Moonlight Reader
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I borrowed this from the KU. It reads like a first effort, the pacing isn't great and it drags but it wasn't entirely without charm and I think it's likely that the series will improve with practice.
The Lit Bitch
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Like many other bibliophiles, I subscribe to BookBub. Basically every day I get an email telling me about all the great deals for ebooks in categories that I have selected. This service is free so if you like book and want to hear about good deals on ebooks, subscribe!

So in one of my emails last week there was a special ad feature at the bottom of the email that said ‘have you discovered Penny Green yet?’ with this great foggy London photo in the background.

And in my mind all I could hear was ‘n
Katherine Sunderland
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do love an Emily Organ book!

I stalk Emily - sorry - I mean I keep an eye out for Emily's new books as I have read every single one and never been disappointed. This is no exception. Moving to a new historical era following on from the Runaway Girl series that was set in the 1350s, Limelight is set in 1883 and yet again Organ shows off her talent for creating a convincing world and transporting the reader back in time.

What I also admire about Organ's writing is that even though I recognise her
tattooedreader13
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, I liked the concept and the setting...but felt that the author told me the story, rather than showing me the story. I was never absorbed in the story, it felt more like I was reading the clifnotes version, rather than the actual tale.
Kari Chapman
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
The mystery was interesting, but the story suffered from having the wrong narrator. The young Scotland Yard detective would have been a much better narrator. For all that Penny cast herself as an investigative journalist, I didn't see anything in the story to back that up. A researcher, sure, as she seemed very good at going into libraries and finding information. But there was nothing in this book to show that she understood investigation. Her few attempts involved bumbling around clumsily tryi ...more
Ashley Marsh
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I actually found this really enjoyable. I loved the characters and the mystery actually kept me guessing.I’m happy to have discovered this series. I’ll definitely be reading the next book soon.
Georgie Minter-Brown
I do love a Victorian murder mystery, but I'm not ranting and raving about this one.

For me, it was a bit bland. I love a main character that is complex and flawed, and Penny just seemed a bit too perfect yet boring. I wasn't as hooked as I have been with other books on this genre and felt like the story dragged somewhat.

I didn't actually guess the ending which I always a plus and a lot of thought and research had been done to make this story reflect the times. I particularly love the mention o
Teresa
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book had two things working against it. The wasn't overly interesting to me, and the narrator wasn't good enough to lift me out of my bored state. I'm not sure I could do audio anymore (not horrible just...not engaging), and I'm not sure I'll ever have the desire to continue with reading only. Nothing about this start made me want to continue... but I never say never.
C-shaw
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Terrific authentically-researched novel about a female journalist in London in the 1890s who solves a murder. First in a series which I will definitely continue. The protagonist, Penelope Green, is eminently likeable.
Beth
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, I wasn't very impressed with this Victorian mystery. There were punctuation errors and anachronistic expressions. I do appreciate that the author did a lot of research into issues of the day. However, the writing seemed rather clumsy and overly direct. I'm not interested in continuing the series.
Avery (Book Deviant)
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3star
See more of my reviews on my blog the Book Deviant

Limelight opens up with Penny being approached by Blakely, tossing you into the story the moment you open up the novel. The banter between the characters, in addition to the setting, gives you an amazing atmosphere that leaves you so engrossed in the story that it literally flies by. During the first half, I couldn’t stop reading this one. I was really engaged and interested in the story, and I felt for Penny and her struggles.

After a while, thou
OLT
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
In 1883 London bachelor-girl reporter Penny Green is struggling to make ends meet after losing her newspaper job. When the death of actress Lizzie Dixie, an erstwhile close acquaintance of Penny's, is reported, this causes a big public stir since, supposedly, Lizzie had died five years earlier in a boating accident on the Thames. What had she been doing in these five years and who had now wanted her dead?

Since Penny knew Lizzie, she is asked to help young Scotland Yard inspector James Blakely to
Cindy
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I finished this one yesterday and found myself trying to figure out how I felt about the book. I mean, I didn't HATE it, but I didn't like it either. Penny, our MC, has an interesting back story, but I still thought her actions didn't make a lot of sense.

In the end, I think it was just that writing was pretty - well, average. We only got to really know 2 characters in the book, and they were still a little flat. The pacing was off, all the action occurs in the beginning and the very end. There
Stacie  Haden
This felt like a first effort. It was just good enough to try another (because I bought it before reading this one) It took me a long time to finish it, as l kept putting it aside to read something else. There was no evidence whatsoever that the Penny has intelligence or any investigative skills. She feels like a side character...a boring side character. James Blakely should have been the main protagonist. Dialogue was stilted, there was too much "filler" and too much repetition. Dear Author, pl ...more
Tony Hisgett
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, historical
Penny has an interesting back-story, I particularly like that Scotland Yard are trying to recruit her to help with a case, even though they were responsible for unfairly getting her sacked from her reporters job. This was a good beginning, but I’m afraid this was probably the high point of the book.
Brenda Mengeling
I liked the premise of a young woman reporter in 1880s London becoming involved in the murder investigation of a famous actress who had died in a ferry accident five years previously, but was now just found shot to death in a cemetery in London. The solution was reasonably clever also. What wasn't so clever was how the reader is taken from A to B. For an ace reporter, Penny jumps to completely unsupported conclusions several times during the course of the story, assuming that what has sprung to ...more
Lindap
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75 / 4 Stars

A Victorian Who-done-it.

An actress friend of Penelope's has died....again. Five year earlier Lizzie Dixie was presumed dead when a boat sank killing over 600 people. She left behind a husband and daughter. Fast forward and they find Lizzie shot to death at a local cemetery. Penny, being a female journalist and former friend of Lizzie's is approached by Inspector Blakely and asked for her insight and help figuring out what really happened to Lizzie, and discover where she's been fo
Jenny
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Penny is a reporter but she was fired from her last job because she is so tenacious and stubborn. (view spoiler)

I liked Penny and I liked the historical aspect. I would read more about her and Inspector Blakely! And maybe find out what happened to her father?(view spoiler)
Ann
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading and enjoying The Teacher I looked forward to this story and soon discovered it is a very good read.
Penny Green is a great character and I love the interaction with James. This is a good mystery which keeps you guessing. Lots of atmosphere of the time period too.

I must also say here as it isn't listed anywhere, I enjoyed Westminster Bridge, details how to get this are at the back of this (Limelight) book. An added bonus.

I hope we get to read more of Penny Green.
Renee Babcock
Mystery series set in 1880s London. This started off a little slow for me, but then I found myself interested in it until the end. I figured out a few plot points before the end, but it doesn't bother me enough to not want to read more. I thought this was a nicely written, easy to read cozy mystery.
Joan Jenkins
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice read. I enjoyed the story and it wasn’t particularly taxing to read or taxing emotionally. As you don’t get to know the murder victim that well and she is rather a one dimensional character - you don’t get too vested in the outcome. But includes some nods to the women’s rights issues of the late 19th century. The books is clearly well-researched and part of an ongoing series.
Jan
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Almost a 4* read. It had all my favorite elements: a murder in 19th century London with a Scotland Yard detective - so I found it comfortable and enjoyed for the most part. Though at times it was a little repetitive and I felt let down by the end. But I will definitely be reading the next one. Both are free with kindle unlimited which is another plus.
Helen
This is definitely a first book. It got four stars from me because I definitely see the potential in this series.
Penny Green is a writer for a newspaper in 1885 London. The charm of Penny is that she’s not precocious and doesn’t have all the answers. Always playing the superior over her male counterparts. She’s very real in knowing her limitations but feeling like somewhere within herself she does know the answers and will fight to find them.
Inspector James Blakely is investigating the murder
Cara Hinton
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the book, but I don't think I'm going to read #2. I liked the characters, and the story line, and I love the period this is set in, but the plot was just average.
Ella
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2019
2 1/2 stars
Clare
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was delighted to know that this is the first in a series, as I can now look forward to reading more about Penny Green and her adventures. Love the setting and historically - based details.
Kathryn
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm chasing after what seems to be an illusive mix of dark Victorian and detective story, which I have found in a couple of novels and Ripper Street but sadly not here. Another reviewer said that the writer describes what happens and doesn't show you and I think this is a good description of the book. The heroine wears glasses but you only realise this when she takes them off half way through the novel. She does an awful lot of staggering backwards and holding herself onto things, sometimes so m ...more
Marie
This was a pleasant surprise. Simply yet well written with a likeable heroine + hero and an interesting mystery that gets better as the book goes on. I do hope that the rest of the series doesn’t disappoint! On to book two!
Patricia Gulley
A good mystery with lots of clothes and location descriptions. I couldn't really believe that the protag got the news reporter job in the first place, yes she could write something to get her fired, but the rehiring element was thin.
Crystal Cornell
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely Written Mystery

I do hope a sequel is published soon. This book was thoughtful, well written and kept me wondering who did it until the surprise ending. I love Victorian English mysteries. This wasn't a "cosy" mystery but a story with real tragedy, heartache, adultery and quiet need. Oh, there's a little touch of romance too for Penny. I hope this storyline continues in the next book. You know a story is good when the book ends and you are sad because you want it to continue. I'll be waiti
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Diamonds & Dust: A Victorian Murder Mystery
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
  • Honour & Obey
  • The Murder of Patience Brooke (Charles Dickens Investigations #1)
  • The Deathly Portent (A Lady Fan Mystery, #2)
  • An Infamous Betrayal (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #3)
  • Murder by Ghostlight (Charles Dickens & Superintendent Jones #3)
  • The Slum Reaper (Esther & Jack Enright Mystery, #4)
  • The Night Caller (Esther & Jack Enright Mystery #2)
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries, #6)
  • A Brazen Curiosity (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #1)
  • The Richmond Thief (Lady Althea Mystery #1)
  • The Quickening and the Dead (Charles Dickens Investigations #4)
  • The Gaslight Stalker (Esther & Jack Enright Mystery #1)
  • The Opium Purge (Lady Fan Mystery #3)
  • Fear & Phantoms (The Victorian Detectives Book 6)
  • The Mortal Blow (Lady Fan Mystery Book 5)
  • Dear Laura (Inspector Lintott Mysteries Book 1)
Emily Organ is the author of the popular Penny Green Victorian mystery series which counts over half a million downloads worldwide. The first book in her Churchill & Pemberley cozy mystery series was shortlisted for Amazon UK's Kindle Storyteller Award in 2019. Writing historical mysteries combines her love of history and mystery. Emily lives in the south of England with her family. Find out more ...more

Penny Green (8 books)
  • The Rookery (Penny Green, #2)
  • The Maid’s Secret (Penny Green #3)
  • The Inventor (Penny Green #4)
  • Curse of the Poppy (Penny Green #5)
  • The Bermondsey Poisoner (Penny Green #6)
  • An Unwelcome Guest (Penny Green Series Book 7)
  • Death at the Workhouse (Penny Green Series Book 8)