Start by marking “The Lost Children (Detective Lucy Harwin, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Children (Detective Lucy Harwin, #1)

The Lost Children

(Detective Lucy Harwin #1)

Lizzy pulled the covers over her head. Then she realised what was being dragged behind the person with the torch. She rammed her fist into her mouth to stop herself from screaming…

For decades, The Moore Asylum was home to the forgotten children of Brooklyn Bay. But ever since a scandal forced its closure, the abandoned building has cast an imposing shadow. Until now – when
Published March 24th 2017 by Bookouture

Start your review of The Lost Children (Detective Lucy Harwin, #1)
Dash fan
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
The Lost Children got my senses awakened from the very first page.
It was dark and creepy and made my hairs stand on end. I knew from the first chapter I was in for a thrillingly creepy read and I wasn't disappointed!

The opening scene is at the children's Moore Asylum set in 1975
 It's night time and one girl is awake... she can't sleep... she senses something isn't right...she looks over to the empty bed and realises one of her friends still hasn't returned from treatment.
She wakes up her best fr
Andrea
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
What can I say about this book brilliant hooked from the start, had this book on my Kindle for ages can't wait to read book two in this series, DCI Lucy harwin and Mattie,made me laugh as what a connection they have.murders from the asylum and what did happen to those poor children.brilliant characters enjoyed this book and highly recommend.
Louise Wilson
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Detective Lucy Harwin is still trying to recover from her last case where a mother and her child were murdered. She is now on the trail of a killer who's fixated on avenging the asylums wrongs. The Moore Asylum was home to the forgotten children of Brooklyn Bay. A scandal forced its closure. Then the body of an elderly man is found, his body strapped to an ancient gurney.

This is an action packed, fast paced and at times a tense read. The content is believable. A decent enough read.

I would like t
Lisa
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Ok let me start by saying the plot drew me in big time but for some reason I couldn't get into Lucy's character at all for me she was just all over he place, I found myself losing concentration on the plot line which was written with a lot of thought it kept me engaged with those poor children & what they had to endure.

I think the character of Lucy could have been written better too many flaws, her daughter was going off the rails but she hardly cared the author could have written Lucy more lik
Sue
THE LOST CHILDREN is the debut detective novel by author Helen Phifer, a police procedural series set in the coastal town of Brooklyn Bay featuring DI Lucy Harwin. I found myself totally absorbed in the believable characters and the story. Another winner for Bookouture and this talented writer!

Lucy is called back to lead a murder investigation, after being on an extended medical leave for a case that was not handled well. It has been three months since the tragic incident. As part of her return
Amy
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

This one opens with a dark, sinister prologue that instantly reels you in. It’s 1975 and there are children locked up in an asylum and things are happening that will make your hair stand on end. We then flip to present day and are introduced to Lucy, a DI who is assigned to solve a murder case where the victims body was found inside the old, forgotten asylum. Except there’s one person who never forgot the horrors that occurred there, and they
Helga
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Helga by: Andrea
Shelves: british, mystery, series, crime
What goes around comes around.

An old man is found brutally murdered in the ward 13 of an abandoned asylum known as The Moore, once home (or rather a prison) to difficult, unwanted or disabled children.
The police begin their investigations and when an old woman, once a nurse at the same asylum, is murdered, they realize there is a connection between the murders and the notorious asylum.

A dark, intense and unsettling read, The Lost Children is the first in the Detective Lucy Harwin series.

Thanks
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
In the mid 70s, 9 year old Lizzie can’t stand her younger baby brother. He’s stolen her parents attention and all he does is cry. She decided to take matters into her own hands, and smothers him with a pillow. Unable to stand looking at their daughter, her parents send her to The Moore, an insane asylum for children, where lobotomies are a common practice.

Fast forward to the present day, a man is found murdered in the now abandoned asylum, and DI Lucy Harwin is called to the scene to investigate
Chloe
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
The Lost Children is a debut detective novel by Helen Phifer , featuring DI Lucy Harwin

On DI Lucy first day back from work she comes across a heinous murder committed in an asylum that has been closed down for many years. The asylum was a place for troubled children and horrible crimes were committed against them . It finally shut down after a scandal but somebody is bent on taking revenge against the people who ran that place .DI Lucy and her team are on the case and piece by piece the horrors
Linda Strong
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it

For decades, The Moore, housed the children who were disabled, had mental problems, some were just unwanted by their parents. Horrendous experiments were carried out on some of theses youngsters ... you'd have to count the cemetery stones behind the hospital to know just how many. Thankfully, the hospital was closed down 40 -some years ago.

Closed .. but not forgotten by everyone.

Detective Lucy Harwin has been on medical leave after a case went terribly wrong. Today is her first day back and she
Elaine
This is a fast paced, action packed thriller which had me riveted to the very end! It truly is a gripping thriller with superb believable characters brought to life in this enthralling story which is full of unexpected twists and turns. This is definitely a winner to me – I suggest you go read the story yourself rather than reading my review!

I am so impressed with how the author brought the characters to life. The flash backs from the serial killer add to the angst and are a brilliant way of fil
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
On her first day back to work after her last case ended in a devastating murder, Lucy Harwin is thrown into another case where a ruthless killer seems to be out to get everyone who did wrong back when The Moore Asylum was open. Past blends with the present as Lucy must figure out what had happened in the Asylum all those years ago and who would be responsible in committing such brutal murders before they strike again.

I don’t know how to feel about this book. It started out strong and interesting
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I really, really wanted to like this book, but for me were there just too many things that bothered me to truly enjoy reading this book. The Lost Children started off great, with the discovery of a dead body in the old asylum and I enjoyed the flashbacks during the books progress to 1975 when young Lizzy is committed to the asylum. I was intrigued by the story and wondered what the past had to do with the present murder.

However, I started to feel a bit annoyed with Detective Lucy Harwin as the
Sue
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another book from my backlist challenge this year. Personal goal.

Oh boy what can I say. This book is creepy, it’s age of your seat amazing work.

I’m onto book 2
Adrian Dooley
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another excellent debut female detective story. I'm on a bit of a role at the moment with these.

The Lost Children introduces us to Detective Lucy Harwin and her team. We meet her as she is just returning to work after being on extended leave after an operation went horribly wrong. She is straight back into it as a mans body is found in the local, now derelict Moore Asylum. A place that closed in the mid 70s but was a place where the forgotten children of Brooklyn Bay were placed. The troublesom
Eva
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The Lost Children is the first book in a new police procedural series. We are introduced to Lucy and her colleagues which sets the tone for the next instalments.

The first chapter tells us of some of the children who were patients at the asylum in the seventies. One of the children disappears from the ward and nine year old Lizzy quickly realises what happened to him.

The case the detectives are working on starts out most intriguingly. When a body is found in the abandoned asylum, it doesn't take
Thebooktrail
I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed with a bookouture book yet - this is a strong thriller which although disturbing is another good one to put on your list.

There is something chilling about asylums and mental hospitals - thank goodness we don’t treat fellow human beings in this way anymore but the asylum here operated in the 1970s and introduces you to a world of horror and despair.

There’s always something worse about the ill treatment of children and this did make me screw my face up in
Book Addict Shaun
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I love a new crime series, especially when it’s published by Bookouture, so I went into The Lost Children with great excitement. I started it late one night and just wanted to read on and on because the opening was so strong. It’s atmospheric, sets the scene brilliantly and just hooks you right in.

Helen Phifer writes with real emotion in her words. The scenes within the old asylum back in 1975 are haunting. Compare that with the scene in the present day of one of the doctors killed inside the a
Dee Ryan
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a really fast paced read. It flips between two times, current day and the 70's. The majority of the 1970s text is based in a children's "hospital" which is basically the asylum where they put children with learning difficulties and other problems.
When a body is found strapped to a trolley in the now abandoned and run down asylum DCI Lucy and her team have to work out the who what and when. The bodies start to stack up and the common thread that runs between the murders is the asylu
Renita D'Silva
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! This book was brilliant from start to finish! Fast paced, with many twists, a taut plot with tense, page turning, heart stopping thrills, this was an unputdownable, addictive read. Lucy Harwin is real and so relatable - the author has a way of putting us in Lucy's shoes, so we are partaking of the action, feeling and living and hurting along with her. Love this author and cannot wait for the next book in this fabulous series.
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
The Lost Children, by Helen Phifer, is the first novel in a brand new crime thriller series that will follow Detective Lucy Harwin.

Although I’ve been struggling with police procedural type novels lately, this one was exciting to me for several reasons. To start, when Bookouture publishes a book, I fall in line. They really are a stellar publisher and I have enjoyed everything I have read by their company. Helen Phifer had also been on my radar for quite some time after I saw a glowing review fo
Shawna P.
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley-read
It's been a few days since I actually read this and I honestly have forgotten most of it. The thing is, even after I read it, it wasn't very memorable. I base my ratings on how much a book distracts me from life, how much I recall of it and whether or not I was willing to put it down or not.

I love books involving asylums and whatnot. This book sounded like it would be right up my alley. Lizzy is a patient in this asylum when she witnesses something horrible occur one night. Decades later, the a
Sue McQuaide Kitt
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a brilliant book that I found very hard to put down. Helen Phifer is a new author to me and what a great find. In the description of this book, The Lost Children was said to appeal to fans of MJ Arlidge, Angela Marsons and Rachel Abbott and I 100% agree.

In the 1970’s The Moore Asylum was closed down, taking it’s shocking secrets with the closure until a body was found in ward 13 that had been lobotomised.

DI Lucy Harwin her partner Detective Mattie Jackson are both such wonderful and be
Laurie
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First I would like to thank NetGalley, the publishers and the author for my ARC copy for a fair and honest review.

I have to say lately I have been addicted to British police procedural/thrillers and this one definitely did not disappoint! DI Lucy Harwin and DS Mattie Jackson are probably two of my favourite characters lately. They are both complicated characters, with DI Harwin be not only complex, but humanly flawed and therefore very believable. The characters are well developed throughout the
Elaine Tomasso
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of The Lost Children, the first in a projected series of police procedurals set in the fictional coastal town of Brooklyn Bay to feature DI Lucy Harwin.

The novel opens with a scene from a hospital in 1975 and then cuts to the present day when an estate agent showing a potential buyer round a former mental asylum discovers a murdered body. DI Lucy Harwin is called back from medical leave to lead the investigation but it takes on
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
From the moment I picked up this story, I was invested.
There was no pussyfooting around with this it was BAM!!! straight into the fire & then the sparks were seriously burning & fizzling & popping The Lost Children was none stop action from start to finish and I adored it.
We start our story with the Estate Agent showing a prospective buyer around the Asylum, an old abandoned hospital that was home to many forgotten children that had basically been left there by their parents to rot, so awful and
Selina Trafford
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The police investigation and the characters seemed real. The character Heidi a bit odd understandably and I couldn't wait to get to the end to see what happened.

The ending for me seemed a bit of an anticlimax as I felt it was a bit abrupt.

I think thats because I like a reason for actions actions and there didn't seem to be one.

I would let that comment stop you from reading this book as it was a super read.
Lady Delacour
What a pleasant surprise!!!
Enjoyed the stories predictability
as well as it's unpredictability.
Picked this book because
of the narrators lovely voice.
Looking forward to the next book
in the series.
Julie Lacey
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a great book.
I really like the main character Detective Lucy Harwin - and her relationship with her colleague Mattie is intriguing.
This was a really gripping read and one that I raced through so I could find out what happened next.
This is a great start to a new series.
Betty
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Back in April, I put my auto-approval with Bookouture to good use, and downloaded this on Netgalley... and it sat for months waiting for me to read it while I read other books instead. I finally opened it up last week, and just like that, I've found a new series and author to love!

In my opinion, some of the best books (regardless of genre and sub-genre) use an old, abandoned asylum as a backdrop for the action. You can't pick a creepier setting that than... your imagination sparks images of sort
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Last Girls Alive (Detective Katie Scott Book 4)
  • The Innocent Girls (Detective Casey White, #2)
  • Their Silent Graves
  • Our Daughter's Bones  (Detective Mackenzie Price #1)
  • The Silent Dolls (Detective Ellie Reeves #1)
  • The Toybox
  • Her Final Prayer (Detective Clara Jefferies #2)
  • Her Shallow Grave (Detectives Kane and Alton, #9)
  • The Secret Admirer (Detective Natalie Ward #6)
  • Blood Rites (DI Kelly Porter, #6)
  • All His Pretty Girls (Detective Alyssa Wyatt #1)
  • Bold Lies (DI Kelly Porter, #5)
  • Lost Cause (DI Kelly Porter, #8)
  • Deadly Cry (DI Kim Stone #13)
  • Her Last Mistake (Detective Gina Harte #6)
  • Killing Mind (D.I. Kim Stone #12)
  • Somebody’s Daughter (Detective Natalie Ward #7)
  • Little Doubt (DI Kelly Porter, #7)

Detective Lucy Harwin (3 books)
  • Dying Breath (Detective Lucy Harwin, #2)
  • Last Light (Detective Lucy Harwin #3)