Start by marking “El señor de las muñecas y otros cuentos de terror” as Want to Read:
El señor de las muñecas y otros cuentos de terror

El señor de las muñecas y otros cuentos de terror

El señor de las muñecas y otros cuentos de terror es una excepcional colección de relatos que nos atrapa desde la primera página. Historias que nos hacen vivir en medio de emociones intensas y a veces contradictorias, pero siempre con la sospecha de que lo que sucede entre los personajes, no es exactamente como lo percibimos. La intriga unas veces, y el terror otras, nos a ...more
Paperback, Contemporánea, 296 pages
Published April 5th 2017 by Alba (first published May 3rd 2016)

Edwin Lowe
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of El señor de las muñecas y otros cuentos de terror
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
When Robbie's cousin Amy died of leukemia, a disease he knew nothing about, he didn't ask questions, nor did he cry. Instead he stole his cousins doll.
When all the adults around him were busy whispering and grieving, I felt sorry for
this little boy being left in the dark.
Robbie had been a a quiet student, but teachers seem to like him and his grades were usually high.
At home, Robbie's being quiet maddened his father....."for it seemed sullen, rebellious".
Robbie had the habit of grunting ins
Char
The Doll-Master and Other Tales of Terror. The problem here lies with the "Tales of Terror" part of that title, because it's a bold statement and I'm afraid these stories never did reach that level.

Don't get me wrong-all of these tales were well written and a few of them were extremely creepy, (such as The Doll-Master and Big Momma), but for me it was always easy to see where the stories were going to end up and they were NEVER scary. (I guess a lot of my problem with this collection
Zoeytron
Copy provided by Net Galley in exchange for a review.

Six short stories, touted to be tales of terror. Terrifying, no. Sorry. Entertaining, yes. Absolutely. Well written and slightly dark, but nothing new or unexpected to prickle the back of my neck or make my thumbs twitch. Recommended for those who are carefully considering a walk on the dark side, or those who like to dabble a bit without the worry of gore. Well-seasoned terror fiends will go away hungry.
Althea Ann
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**** The Doll-Master
(Previously read in "The Doll Collection." Re-read.)
While, in general, I don't think that there's anything wrong with little boys playing with dolls, there's certainly something quite, quite wrong with this specific boy playing with dolls.

**** Soldier
Powerful, disturbing story. This isn't what I expected from "Tales of Terror" but it's quite horrific. Oates brings us into the head of a man who's something of a cross between Bernie Goetz and George Zim
Helene Jeppesen
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an impressive collection of dark and twisted tales; I simply couldn't have asked for more! "The Doll-Master and Other Tales of Terror" contains six short stories which are all cleverly written in such a way that makes you unable to see what is coming. I loved it!
Some of the stories are very contemporary and deal with modern issues in a twisted way, whereas other stories ressemble classic horror tales that we all know and love. What all six of them have in common, though, is that th
Sandra
Never having read Joyce Carol Oates before, but having heard much about her and her writing, I decided to lose my JCO virginity with these tales of terror.

The Doll-Master 4*
My favorite. I have this fascination with dolls. Not that I collect them, heck, I barely played with them as a child. I just like how certain dolls can be adorable and creepy at once. And the main character collects them...How? That is the big question. I expected there to be some supernatural element to this, but in the end, I/>The
Jan
Was hoping for so much more from this collection of short horror stories...I just could seem to connect to any of them.

There are a total of 6 stories, coming in at about 300 total pages....maybe that was part of the problem for me. The build up seemed to be a bit drawn out and I think that hurt in maintaining any suspense. I didn't find many of the tales to have much 'terror' to them either.

These aren't bad stories, just a bit forgettable to me.

ARC provided by NetGalley<
Sheila
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oates is someone I've been reading off and on for 20 years or so, and of course I've barely scratched the surface of her work. This is a pretty standard collection of stories from her--stories that are chilling, but grounded in the real world, and stories that sometimes (like real life) lack a satisfying ending. I'm giving this collection of six stories 4 stars based on the strength of "Gun Accident" and "Equatorial."

The Doll-Master: 3 stars. A solid suspense story; the vague ending of this one worke/>The
Nancy Oakes
My many thanks to Mysterious Press for the copy that showed up at my door!

There are six stories in this rather dark collection, and once again the author has focused on human horrors rather than anything supernatural. While I admit I wasn't overly in love with each and every story in this book, I will say that the author's ability to create atmosphere continues here as it does in most of her short-story collections. If you've read her work in the past, you know exactly what I mean. A
Leo Robertson
OMG so I was in Oslo last weekend and I found this one on sale!! So good! You can never go wrong with JCO. You can go okay or mediocre with her, but rarely worse ;)

Just thought I’d open with that pointless anecdote, dear Goodreader, to remind you that this is my review and you’re here, after all, for my opinions. And my opinions, despite how clever we both know you are, are not a thing you can correct! Hahaha.

Anyways! The title story is cool and with a twist I didn’t see
Marjorie
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, netgalley
Excellent, beautifully written collection of short stories. I enjoyed each and every one of these stories and found them to be disturbing, chilling, suspenseful and thought provoking and sometimes even sad.

My favorite of the six, though it was hard to choose a favorite, was “Mystery, Inc.”, which every mystery book lover will devour like candy (pun not intended for those who have read the story). I felt like I was reading an Edgar Allan Poe story that I had somehow missed over the ye
Roman Clodia
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book full of Joyce Carol Oates' trademark poisonous little gems of stories. Grotesque, macabre, chilling, what makes them frightening is her fearlessness in plumbing the depths of humanity. She draws us into the twisted worlds of these tales making us almost scared to recognise where they're going.

Anyone who has read her unforgettable Daddy Love will know what this writer is capable of: this isn't as shattering as that book but these stories bear some of the same marks. A f
Lisa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, top-author
Yay for Joyce Carol Oates because I love her writing!

But boo for short story format! What can I say, I just have a real problem with short stories.

They always seem to end when I'm just getting into them and this collection was no exception.

The stories were all good (especially Big momma & Mystery Inc) but I wanted more time with each!
Chris
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A very fine collection of dark stories by a master writer in her prime. Really, it is a matter of taste with regard to which of the individual stories you will prefer, but Oates genius is evident in every word.

I found the first story, the title story--The Doll-Master to be a bit predictable and that took away from my enjoyment but it also reinforced for me something I
Amy
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terror? Not so much. More unsettling. I have read several of Oates novels, but never her short stories, so I was unsure of what to expect here. Many of her novels deal with dysfunctional families and that is where she flourishes in this collection. The stories are disturbing, but she shows her hand a bit too soon. There is some suspense but the endings are usually a bit of a letdown. The "terror" in these stories can be chalked up to human nature and its many perversions.

Not quite the tales of
Kimberly
2.5 stars.

While Joyce Carol Oates is undeniably an incredible writer, these "tales of terror" really fell short in the "terror" department for me. Her literary style is strong, and the stories evoke real emotions and often portray events from an angle other than what we're used to. While I admire her prose, I felt that a true horrific element was missing in these particular tales--some much more so than others.

Still, personal favorites of mine were "The Doll Master", and
Louise
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
I will write a sentence or two about each story in the book but not too much as I don’t want to give anything away and spoil your enjoyment of the book.

The Doll – Master: Robbie’s cousin Amy passes away from Leukemia at a very early age. Stealing Amy’s doll is the start of his obsession and begins collecting more throughout his life. His collection includes china, wooden and even barbie dolls which he keeps in a deserted part of the house, however they are not just any old dolls. ...more
Asha
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of six exciting, thrilling short stories that had me anxiously turning the pages and covering up the last paragraphs of each story so as not to inadvertently spoil myself.
Matt
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collection of 6 short stories
The Doll-Master- a young boy becomes infatuated with his deceased younger cousin's doll and as he grows, he becomes a very quiet, reclusive individual. He also begins to collect "found dolls" and develops quite the fascination with them. Robbie's (main character) first person point of view was creepy and written well enough to evoke a sense of unease about him. Rating: 4/5
Soldier- A troubled Caucasian man is on trial for murdering an African American teen
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
3 1/2 stars for this offering of six short stories/novellas from Joyce Carol Oates.

This collection was a real mixed bag. Some of the stories had inconsistencies in them, the author repeated herself, and in places the writing could be termed no less than clumsy. But when it was good, it was very, very good. All but one have that macabre little twist in them that makes you catch your breath.

1. The Doll-Master: A young boy starts collecting dolls after his cousin dies. 3 sta
Akylina
Review on The Literary Sisters.

Joyce Carol Oates was one of those authors whom I had been hearing a lot about but had never had the opportunity to experience myself. Seeing one of her upcoming short story collections being available on NetGalley, I hurried to request and read it, anticipating great things from it.

However, the stories were not at all what I expected. As the title of the collection indicates, all the stories included here are 'tales of terror'. Even though I haven't read much ho
4cats
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As an opening to this review I must say I love Joyce Carol Oates, she is one of America's finest and prolific authors who I sometimes think that writing to her is like breathing to the rest of us, it's a thing she must do to live.

I was very happy to get a chance of an early copy of this new collection of short stories. Again I love the short story format, at their best they offer us a glimpse of life at it's best or worst. And so to this collection, I've got to be honest and say it w
Scott
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joyce Carol Oates belongs in the upper echelon of American writers. I think she doesn't get the respect she deserves because she is 1) prolific, and 2) alive. It is a shame that it is unseemly to recognize genius until it is safely in the ground.

Putting the soap box away, let us address The Doll-Master and Other Tales of Terror. These six "short stories" (though I believe two qualify as novellas) are not what the average reader would think of as terror or horror stories, which I have
Ruthanne Davis
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Lots of suspense in each of these stories by my favorite contemporary author. These are not your typical horror stories, but stories of every day folks and the terrors they must face.
This is my second reading of this book and I admit to being a bit critical in my first review. No more; I think I’ve learned to appreciate more than just the stories.
Some of the endings are less than gratifying and just leave you hanging and the first time I read this book, several years ago, that disturbed m
Erin
Six stories, not of otherworldly terror but the bad things that humans do to one another, includes "The Doll-Master," "Soldier," "Gun Accident," "Big Momma," "Equitorial" and "Mystery, Inc." all of which had been previously published in various magazines and collections, but in the recent past (2014 or later). My favorite was probably the one I had read before, "Mystery, Inc." but all were interesting and likely to be enjoyed by fans of Oates's work.
Christine
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I will never think of dolls the same now. The doll master was my favorite in this collection, but I enjoyed the others as well. I always find it hard to rate books with multiple stories involved. It goes without saying that some will be liked more than others, and with this as a whole I'm going with 3.5... Rounding up.
James Adams
This is rough, because there were a couple good stories here, but the chaff overcame the wheat.
These are stories of dread and suspense, not surprise, meaning most unfold with an inevitability that can be tricky to manage without becoming predictability. The first two stories fall into the trap while blending together, stylistically, becoming a dull drone in the back of the brain. "Gun Accident" is better, but "Equatorial" is just awful. Dull, dull, dull. Is her husband trying to kill her?
Jenny
3,5

When reading the 'Tales of Terror'-part of the title one might jump to the conclusion that some form of supernatural, otherworldly horrors might be awaiting. Non of that is to be found in those 6 stories, Oates version of horror is made up of human nature. Which to her seems to provide more than sufficient darkness. I've enjoyed some of these stories immensely while others left me relatively untouched. They all seem to follow a similar scheme. They abandon the reader right in the middle
Caterina
This is my first approach to the writings of Joyce Carol Oates and I guess I should have started with one of her more renowned works. This collection of short stories is surely well-written but lacks in atmosphere and suspense. The characters are interesting but not very likable and the ending in almost all the stories is vague and not conclusive (although this is not an issue for a lot of readers) leaving the rest to our imagination. These are stories where the action is limited and the charact ...more
Amy Neftzger
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories could probably be more accurately described as "thrillers," although some individuals may find them terrifying. I found them enjoyable and intriguing. Each story is unique, and involves some twisted thinking in one form or another - where the reader can clearly see that something is wrong and keeps reading to see if the problem explodes in one way or another. Reality is precariously balanced at many times. I found myself occasionally asking, "how could the character think that?" bu ...more

• Growing Things and Other Stories
  • The Dark Domain
  • Babyteeth, Vol. 1: Born
  • Flight or Fright: 17 Turbulent Tales
  • New Fears: New Horror Stories by Masters of the Genre
  • Best New Horror 10 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #10)
  • The Ones That Got Away
  • The Cormorant
  • The Suicide Motor Club
  • Haunted Longmont (Haunted America)
  • Who Was Edgar Allan Poe?
  • Werewolves of Montpellier
  • Florence Broadhurst: Her Secret & Extraordinary Lives
  • Secret Story
Joyce Carol Oates is a recipient of the National Book Award and the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in Short Fiction. She is also the recipient of the 2005 Prix Femina for The Falls. She is the Roger S. Berlind Distinguished Professor of the Humanities at Princeton University, and she has been a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters since 1978. Pseudonyms ... Rosamond Smith and Lauren Kelly.
“It is a terrible thing to feel that you might break down, you might utter a confession that could not then be retrieved.” 2 likes
“In dreams sometimes it is like this. I am lying very still, my arms and legs are numb or paralyzed. There is a medical term—peripheral neuropathy. A tingling sensation in fingers and toes that moves upward bringing with it a loss of feeling, a spreading numbness, a kind of amnesia of the body.” 1 likes