Start by marking “The Life of St. Thomas More” as Want to Read:
The Life of St. Thomas More

The Life of St. Thomas More

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Excerpt from The Life of Sir Thomas More

Some books are valuable for what they teach us and others we prize for what they are. William Roper's book about Sir Thomas More may justly claim a place amongst the select few which are no less rich in matter than pleasing in form. In a style which may seem involved sometimes, but has nevertheless all the charm that belongs to our l
Published January 28th 2002 by Neumann Press (first published 1626)

To ask other readers questions about The Life of St. Thomas More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life of St. Thomas More

Tony
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A MAN OF SINGULAR VIRTUE being a Life of Sir Thomas More by his son-in-law William Roper. (1626). William Roper. ****.
This is a Folio Society edition of this well-known biography that includes an introduction by A. L. Rowse and a selection of letters from More to a variety of his contemporaries. The book is illustrated throughout with paintings and drawings from the period. We most of us know about the ultimate disagreement between More and King Henry VIII that led to More’s execution. What we
Alessandro Giuliani
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dai-13-anni
La prima biografia, scritta dal genero: fresca, immediata, parte essa stessa della straordinaria vicenda umana che testimonia.
Renee
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An interseting, though sometimes chronologically incorrect, window into 16th century England. The biography focuses on both politics and religion concerning the court of Henry VIII, as well as More's personla life. Roper's writing is extremely flattering, as More was his father-in-law, though the man's character was undoubtably noble. Many of More's lines in the Showtime series "The Tudors" are direct quotes from this biography.
Ibe Innocent
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elena, Jonathan, Hannah
Recommended to Ibe by: Nobody
This is a must read for all. Especially for nostalgic Catholics. Sir Thomas who was the tutor of king Henry displayed what it means to Fear God rather than man. He wouldn't compromise the Divine Faith he held from the Church. I recommend this to all for a better understanding of the orthodox Faith.
Rosemary F. Eichler
Thomas More a man of integrity

Very difficult to read. Thomas More bravely tried to give his king advice that would keep the king a just person. Thomas More became a martyr trying to his job and keep his king on the moral high ground. I just picked the wrong book.
Steve Gordon
"I pray you, Master Lieutenant, see me safe up , and for my coming down, let me shift for myself." Now that's the way to go to the scaffold for your beheading. Sir Thomas was a very interesting fellow indeed.
Therese May
This was a good book, but hard to read. The language is just so different and the sentences so long at times, that you can get lost while reading.

It is very interesting to read a first hand account of what happened to Sir Thomas More though.
Kip
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to know how accurate the Movie "A Man for All Seasons" is. At the conclusion of the book, having watched the movie, I decided it was pretty accurate.

Unfortunately, I didn't become a great fan of Sir Thomas More. His actions prior to
FR ADRIAN G HEAD
Inspiring

Although it is written in old English, St Thomas More gives us a wonderful example of total commitment and fidelity to the Faith despite the threat of death.
Nancy Drew