Start by marking “Manjhi Moves a Mountain” as Want to Read:
Manjhi Moves a Mountain

Manjhi Moves a Mountain

Dashrath Manjhi used a hammer and chisel, grit, determination, and twenty years to carve a path through the mountain separating his poor village from the nearby village with schools, markets, and a hospital. Manjhi Moves a Mountain shows how everyone can make a difference if their heart is big enough.
Published September 1st 2017 by Creston Books

To ask other readers questions about Manjhi Moves a Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manjhi Moves a Mountain

Start your review of Manjhi Moves a Mountain
[Shai] Bibliophage
The tale of Manjhi Moves a Mountain is an inspiration for everyone to never give up on achieving what you dream. Even if it takes several years before you were able to achieve it, never lose hope and just continue what you're doing.

I was astonished that this children's story book is based from the true story of the real Manjhi, or Dashrath Manjhi in real life. The storytelling written by Nancy Churnin and the illustrations drawn by Danny Popovici will delight anyone who read this amazing book.

Edward Sullivan
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The remarkable true story of Dashrath Manjhi who spent twenty years chiseling away at a mountain to carve a path that would connect his poor village with another with schools, markets, and a hospital. An inspiring story of patience, persistence, and perseverance.
Mary Lee
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
True story of a man who exemplifies perseverance, carving a road through a mountain one chisel swing at a time.
Gary Anderson
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Moving mountains” is usually a hyperbolic metaphor for accomplishing seemingly impossible tasks. In the nonfiction picture book Manjhi Moves a Mountain, a dedicated laborer literally moves a mountain to connect two villages. Manjhi’s poor village “in the heart of India” is separated from a more prosperous village by a mountain. Manjhi throws a stone in frustration. Inspired by seeing a dust crumble from the stone, Manjhi begins to chip away at the mountain with his hammer and chisel. At first, ...more
Nicole
Wow! Such a simple story (the title says it all) contains such an extraordinary feat fueled by love and hope, that I was moved to tears!
Lorie Barber
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why aren’t more people talking about this book?
Stephanie Bange
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Churnin is building an oeuvre of picture book biographies about little-known, diverse people from history who have had an immense impact on their field of work or environment. The third is about Dashrath Manjhi who spent 22 years manually chipping away at a mountain in India that separated his poor village to a wealthier one. What once was a 34-mile hike from one village to the other became a 9- mile walk. At first a curiosity, others in the village began supporting him by chipping away more of ...more
Lynn
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story reads like a legend but is about a real event and a real person. Inspiring and astonishing story of persistence and selfless dedication. Bright and appealing illustrations complete an excellent book.

Terrific book for classrooms as it is can be used in so many ways.
Margaux
I picked this book up thinking it was a fable from India. It is, in fact, the biography of a real man who spent 22 years of his life literally moving a mountain. When he realized that the only thing keeping his village and it's inhabitants from a better life was the mountain that separated it from the other towns, he decided things needed to change. Manjhi worked the fields by day and spent all of his free time chiseling away, little by little {by hand, I might add} chipping away at the giant ...more
Earl
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love stories like this where a situation is questioned and a solution is presented and a new better life is created for lots of people. And the fact that this is based on a true story makes it more incredible. Even after reading the author's note at the end, I want to read more about Dashrath Manjhi and the circumstances of his monumental act.
Barbara
Oh, what we can learn from this true story of true grit! While others in his village of Gehlaur, India, simply bemoaned the fact that a mountain separated them from Bihar, a much larger town with modern conveniences, Dashrath Manjhi decided that he would take action. If there were a road through the mountain, he decided, then villagers could save a great deal of time when traveling. Thus, he tackled the impossible and tried to move a mountain. Using a chisel and a hammer, he blasted away at that ...more
Sharon
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was about two years ago that I happened across the true story of Dashrath Manjhi who chipped away at a mountain for more than 20 years to finally make a path connecting his village to not just the next village, but also to doctors, a school, water and jobs.

The book does not mention how Manjhi started the quest because the mountain stood between his wife and the medical care she needed. She died many years before he finished but he endured through much ridicule, believing that his vision was
Karen Gedeon
Manjhi Moves a Mountain – written by Nancy Churnin, illustrations by Danny Popovici – Based on the true story of Dashrath Manjhi who believed in a better life for the people in his village, Manjhi Moves a Mountain takes readers through his realization that only a mountain stood in the way of a better life. While most people would accept this as fact, Manjhi looked for improvement. After 22 years of digging, he succeeded in cutting a road through the mountain. Rich desert colors in orange, yellow ...more
Juliana Lee
True story about a man who lived in a poor village on one side of a mountain which had a prosperous village on the other side. It was difficult to get to schools, shops, and hospitals so the poor village became poorer. Standing at the top of the mountain Manjhi could see both sides clearly and wondered how he could help. Then he began a 22 year task of chipping away at the mountain one inch at a time. When the people saw that what he was doing was actually helping, they also chipped in to help ...more
Jana
When we hear of the kind of faith that can move mountains, the story of Dashrath Manjhi is a terrific example. This picture book biography is about a man in India who was fed up with having to climb over a treacherous mountain everyday in order to work on the other side. Manjhi's side of the mountain was poor and the other side had plentiful food and resources. Manjhi decided that he would dig a road through the mountain, creating a passage that would allow folks access to the other side. With ...more
Linda
Based on the true story of Dashrath Manjhi's idea that turned into a quest and a love story, too, because he saw a need to connect his poor village to the more prosperous one "over" the mountain. He sold his three goats to trade for a hammer and a chisel and began. It took 22 years, but he did it, a road to get to the other side was made, and now it was only 9 miles to get better health care, to get to school, to shop for things not available in his small village. Inspiring, and beautifully ...more
Jessica
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a cool story - Dashrath Manjhi built a road through a mountain between his village and the next closest. He did it by hand and it took 22 years - a labor of love perhaps in memory of his wife who had difficulty getting medical care on a journey that was quite lengthy but 22 years later was very manageable due to his labor. It's shelved in the 600s in my library, but I could also see it getting some rotation among biography fans, and would make a good read aloud to the school aged crowd.
Viviane Elbee
Wow! The kids and I had never heard of Manjhi and were fascinated to learn his story, and how he created a road in the middle of a mountain in India, mostly by himself over 22 years with rudimentary tools. This is a much longer picture book, best suited for elementary students.
It is a wonderful story to kick off a discussion about how one person can make a big difference with vision, hard-work, and perseverance.
Andrea
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-pb
This story made me marvel over what a single person can accomplish. There’s a thought-provoking question in the text: Why should some people have so much and others so little? This book would be excellent to discuss with children of all ages. They will be amazed and impressed by Manjhi’s hard work and what he accomplished. The carefully chosen details in this story made it come alive for me. I could easily imagine “their pockets jangled with money” and “Powdered rock and tiny chips sprayed.”
Annie Zagorec
I thought that this was a good book. I think that it is important how this book was based on the true story of Dashrath Manjhi, and how he carved a path to connect his village to more resources. I think that this book did a good job recognizing diversity, and giving the message of determination and selflessness. Overall, I found this to be a good book with fantastic illustrations, and I would recommend it to younger readers.
This seems like its a fable or folktale of some sort, but amazingly, this is a true story of how a man in India actually cut through a mountain to connect two communities, and as a result vastly improved the quality of life in the poorer village by giving them access to schools and hospitals etc...
Alex Wakeham
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it's perfect for children ages 7 and under. It's about a boy who sees something that is unfair about his village and also sees a way he can change it. He works tirelessly his whole life, to see his idea come to fruition. His work is for the betterment of his entire village. It teaches kids that if they work hard for something they believe in, eventually they will get there.
Abigail Rothwell

I like this book because it shows adventurous ways. Also, how they work hard in their village to help encourage and protect the village. it shows students how people work in other countries. Not only that with the hard work, you make a huge impact. If it was not for certain jobs that everyone does the country may fall apart.
Carmen
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such an inspiring story! I'm not sure if my 5yo got out of it what I did, persistence and a sort of justice. So I would recommend it for about 6 or 7yo and up. For children I believe that every time they re-read it they will get something new out of it. Even adults would benefit from reading this true story and experience how life in India can be.
Paris Krug
This was overall a good book! I think that it is important to understand since it is based of a true story. I think that it is important how this book was based on a true story. I thin that this book did a good job recognizing diversity and giving the message of determination and selflessness. Overall, I found this book with fantastic illustrations and I would recommend it to younger readers.
Kristine
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tells the story of Dashrath Manjhi who spent 22 years chiseling a path through a mountain in India to connect two villages.

What kind of "mountain" can you move to make things better in your community?
Mary
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Based on a true story from India, yet told as a folk tale. Dashrath Manjihi used a chisel and hammer for 22 years (1960-1982) to cut a road through a mountain to join two villages. This shortened a treacherous 34-mile journey to a 9-mile walk to schools, hospitals, and jobs.
Persistence
Ms. B
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story about perseverance. This is the biography/memoir of Dashrath Manjhi who took 22 years to cut a road through a mountain in India to help his village gain quicker access to healthcare and schools.
Heather
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Great true story of perseverance and justice, but aimed for an older crowd. Ages 7-10.
Robin
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing and inspiring true story that reads aloud well. Great themes of persistence and ordinary people having the power to make the world a better place. Highly recommended for ages 5-8.

• Dancing Hands: How Teresa Carreño Played the Piano for President Lincoln