Start by marking “The Case of the Spurious Spinster” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Spurious Spinster

The Case of the Spurious Spinster

(Perry Mason #64)

A shoebox full of cash and an elderly mine owner who disappears, wheelchair and all, leave a secretary charged with murder.
Mass Market Paperback, 179 pages
Published July 12th 1988 by Ballantine Books (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Spurious Spinster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Spurious Spinster

Start your review of The Case of the Spurious Spinster
Evgeny
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Susan Fisher was working on a weekend because her boss asked her to (or told her to - this was not specified). To add to her problems the governess of the boss's son asked her to take care of her charge. This whole situation reminds me of a joke of a soldier mowing grass and officers coming up with ideas about more efficient utilization of the guy's work - simply by increasing his workload.
Soldier

Accidentally this joke was implemented in real life by countless CEOs that finally realized that the best w
Richa
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery. Though, Mr Gardner did not put up all the clues fairly. Only at the end were they logically given. Still, good whodunit.
I did not appreciate Paul Drake's attitude in this one.. Not of a good friend. Overly pessimistic. In contrast, was simply charmed by Della Street!
Newly Wardell
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this mystery was a real head scratcher! So an out of town billionaire arrives two days early to investigate a problem in the Mojave Mine. She is wheel chair bound and losing her sight. She then disappears! The next day the same woman comes in a day early to investigate the same problem and she vanishes from the hotel. A secretary is setup to take the wrap for embezzlement and (dun dun dun) murder. Luckily she calls Perry Mason.
False
I've been reading my way through Perry Mason books for the past two years. Some are incredibly hard to find, even using an interlibrary loan system. This book features the ever present curvy young innocent woman in trouble. She turns to Perry and it's off to the races. There is one character, the spinster and owner of a mine, that is wheelchair bound and wearing blue glasses for her blindness. For whatever reason my mind went this way, I thought about how this book was published in 1961 (I read ...more
R.W. Clark
Bust in the Dust

Played out mine. Cowboy willing to please. Owner home from Argentina. Young boy with thousands stuffed into a shoebox. Faithful governess and her nurse friend. Boorish boss.

And the dedicated secretary framed for murder, with Mason and Della standing over the corpse made ready for burning.

A rather ordinary story.
Stven
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Perry Mason story really is about twice as good as the one I finished earlier this week, The Case of the Green-Eyed Sister. It hits the ground running and keeps us on our toes the whole way... which is probably a poor choice of figures of speech since a pivotal scene is about meeting a lady in a wheelchair at the airport... but I'll let it stand. (*groan*)
Jeremy
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a standout entry in the Perry Mason series. Impersonations, con games, and a slick frame-up are all features here, plus as I recall, this was one where Della got a chance to show how smart and effective she is (her characterization across the books is inconsistent, but my favorites are when she gets to be a badass).
Sherry
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly love all Perry Mason novels by Erle Stanley Gardner. This is one of my particular favorites which I reread for fun. A glass of iced tea, some string cheese, and Perry and Della - my idea of a relaxing afternoon.
Les Anderson
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would never have figured this one out. Mason uses some clever tricks before the trial but it isn't until he determines who is lying on the stand that he is able to tie everything together. Possibly, one of the most devious murderers that Mason has ever caught.
Jeffrey Marks
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good use of the impostor crime. I wasn't quite sure about the ending though...
Linnja (Lynn)
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, mystery
Fun, Fun, Fun. I'd forgotten all about these mystery books.
NancyS
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable. I had forgotten how timeless and well written this author's works are.
PoligirlReads
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh the year is off to a good start with this one! I'm a fan of Perry Mason, so I thought a nice cozy way to begin 2020 would be with one of his books. ESG was on top of things with this one. Crafty adversaries and lots of twists and turns, with lots of folks looking guilty. I like it when Lt. Tragg and Perry work together (even with Tragg following along reluctantly the entire way).

The courtroom part doesn't happen until late in the story, and it's a hoot to see Burger all puffed up and convinc
کارآگاه
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
جالب، خوشخوان.
پری میسون شخصیت جالب توجهی دارد. یک وکیل دعاوی باهوش و خبره که توسط قلم یک وکیل دعاوی جان گرفته.
شاید نویسنده، خیلی از نظر نویسندگی قوی نباشد، اما بهرحال پایه و ستون محکمیست بر بنایی که طی سالیان بعد سکوی پرتاب جان گریشام و دیگر جنایی نویسان سبک حقوقی دیگر شد و سالها بعد، مایکل کانلی شخصیت میکی هالر را در وکیل لینکولن سوار بسیار بر پایه همین شخصیت خلق کرده باشد.
داستان هم مطابق معمول ژانر نوآر، در لس آنجلس و هالیوود میگذرد و سیر خوب و روانی دارد.
نه آنچنان جذاب که نتوان کتاب را زمین گ
Tony Piazza
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perry Mason Wins Again!

Excellent story with enough twists to keep you guessing. For Perry, this looks like one case he might lose, but in brilliant Mason fashion he... well, you have to read the book to find out the rest. Enjoyed the characters and the drama of the courtroom in this story. Definitely worth five stars!
Danny Reid
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Not one of the better Mason mysteries, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Steve
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perry Mason programmer. Not the best of the series but a good quick read for a mental getaway.
Dheeraj Sankar
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Perry Mason thriller. Holds you tight in the seat until you finish the entire book. A great read!
Beth
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Perry Mason novel I've read - I picked up a paperback copy at a rummage sale. The book was written in the early 1960s. A secretary is implicated in a murder and calls on PM to help her. The head of the company for which she works comes to town and gets the secretary's help to investigate possible embezzling involving a mine, then the company owner disappears. After another woman shows up claiming to be the president, and then a man is murdered, the secretary is blamed. A myste ...more
Ed
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, mystery
#64 in the Perry Mason series. Perry gets involved in the problem of a secretary who was storing a box received from her boss's son. The box was stuffed with $100 dollar bills. She can't reach her boss, the owner is coming to inspect the books, and it appears a money draining mine is not even active. The owner arrives early takes the books (and perhaps the box) and disappears. The boss arrives, denies there was a box of money and accuses the secretary of embezzlement. A second woman claiming to ...more
Tania
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love a good mystery? If you do, then The Case of the Spurious Spinster is an excellent choice. As famous as the character of Perry Mason is, I can't say that I've read any of that series before now. But this book happened upon me (it's been on my shelf waiting to be read for years) so I took the opportunity to acquaint myself with him. I was delighted at what I found - which is quick wit, a thirst for the truth and justice, and not a little mystery surrounding the who-done-it part of ...more
Doug Dams
In this case, Perry Mason's client is accused of the murder of a wealthy woman. But Perry finds an imposter posing as the wealthy woman, and the mystery deepens. Is she really dead? Whose body is in the morgue? Perry has to solve the case of identity and find a motive for the murder. It's a good story.
Vincent Darlage
Not the best Perry Mason, but it had a satisfying conclusion. It had a great scene between Tragg and Mason, but other than that, it was pretty average. Also, I think I remembered too clearly the TV episode based on this novel.
Brandy B. Stark
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pulpy

Though good, it is not on of my favorites. It is a bit slow but the twentieth st at the end was up yo par with Perry Mason!
Yrsa
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Den första Perry Mason-boken som jag läste. Sen hade jag visst fastnat för Perry Mason.
Gregg
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent novel. The episode should have been filmed as the book was titled, not named something else.
Andres
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Klassikaline Perry Masoni lugu oma tuntud headuses.

Kuigi mõnest liinist hakkasin juba enne Masonit aru saama, siis lõpplahenduseni ikkagi ei jõudnud.
Jekyllhyde
Feb 23, 2018
Frances Hood
Apr 28, 2016
Raphael S Wilson
Aug 29, 2015

• Top of The Heap (Cool and Lam #13)
  • The Case of the Missing Book: A Perry Mason Reading Guide
  • The Professor (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad and the Ridiculous
  • Give 'Em The Ax
  • The Criminal Justice Collection: Max Harrison Books 1-5 (Max Harrison Legal Thrillers)
  • The Girl in Room 105
  • The Burning Hills
  • Love, life & all that jazz....
  • Tell It to the Birds
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • Detective
  • The Sialkot Saga
  • The Rising Tide (World War II: 1939-1945, #1)
  • The Lonesome Gods
  • His Destined Bride (The Bride Series Book 2)
  • Trio for Blunt Instruments (Nero Wolfe, #39)
  • Everything Is Combustible: Television, CBGB's and Five Decades of Rock and Roll: The Memoirs of an Alchemical Guitarist

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye