Start by marking “Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)” as Want to Read:
Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)

Girls of Paper and Fire

(Girls of Paper and Fire #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  21,317 ratings  ·  4,568 reviews
Each year, eight beautiful girls are chosen as Paper Girls to serve the king. It's the highest honor they could hope for...and the most demeaning. This year, there's a ninth. And instead of paper, she's made of fire.

In this richly developed fantasy, Lei is a member of the Paper caste, the lowest and most persecuted class of people in Ikhara. She lives in a remote village
Published November 6th 2018 by Jimmy Patterson Books

To ask other readers questions about Girls of Paper and Fire, please sign up.
Natasha Ngan Hi! Thank you for your question. Just sharing my answer to someone who asked this on my author page :)

GIRLS does explore sexual assault and the…more

GIRLS does explore sexual assault and the traumatic aftermath, so it's a theme throughout the book. However I've tried to write it as delicately and respectfully as possible, so the scenes are (in my opinion) not graphic, but the characters do talk and think about what happened afterwards. I didn't write it with the intention to distress or shock readers - it's written with love and care, and I myself am a sexual abuse survivor. Ultimately though it's a very personal thing, so I can't tell you whether you will or won't be affected by reading it. Perhaps you can only read it on good days when you feel strong and not too vulnerable? Hope that helps! Nx(less)
Natasha Ngan It's the first of a trilogy so yes! :)…moreIt's the first of a trilogy so yes! :) (less)

·  21,317 ratings  ·  4,568 reviews

Start your review of Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
Chaima ✨ شيماء
[Sappho’s voice] Sweet mother, I cannot weave, slender Aphrodite has overcome me with longing for a secret warrior-assassin-goddess and her rebel girlfriend!!

So, what's this book about?

In Ikhara, the world our protagonist Lei inhabits, there are three castes: Moon, the reigning caste that is entirely demon; Paper, the downtrodden caste that is wholly human and Steel, who are endowed with both demon and human elements. Every year, the Moon caste’s king selects eight Paper Girls as his
Elise (TheBookishActress)
And there is a fire catching among us.

I mean, I think I knew this had My Exact Vibes from the first time I heard of it. so perhaps it’s not the biggest shock in the world that I really, really liked this, but still - this book deserves the world, and you should DEFINITELY read it.
Emily May
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arc, 2018
And there is a fire catching among us.

This was SO MUCH MORE than I expected. Girls of Paper and Fire is a lush fantasy story that goes to some extremely dark places. The light amid this darkness is the central f/f romance that evolves gradually and naturally, never overtaking the
Melanie

ARC provided by Hachette in exchange for an honest review.

“We might be Paper Girls, easily torn and written upon. The very title we're given suggests that we are blank, waiting to be filled. But what the Demon King and his court do not understand is that paper is flammable. And there is a fire catching among us.”

Once I heard that this was an ownvoices Asian inspired fantasy world where two girls, who are forced to be concubines to a demon king, try to overcome it all and fall in love, I
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I am so cheesed off right now that I'm having trouble putting my fury to (virtual) paper. This is CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE all over again. People were singing this book's praises for being diverse!fantasy featuring not just a heroine of color, but a heroine of color who was a lesbian. How could this be bad? I asked myself. The advance reviews were great, and almost unanimously positive. It was an F/F romance set in a fantasyscape based
may ➹
I don’t want an easy life. I want a meaningful one.

I don’t think I can ever describe just how much this book means to me, but as soon as I’d heard that this book actually existed, I knew I needed it in my life. And I’m so happy that it’s getting all the hype, because this book is gorgeous and beautiful and a story we all need to read and listen to.

In this world called Ikhara, there are three castes, and a Demon King who rules them all. There’s Paper: the lowest caste, fully human, with no
Cindy Pham
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Update: The more I think about this book, the more I think an accurate rating would be 3 stars, considering that I don't feel enticed enough to read the sequel. This is another case of the concept and subversion of tropes are great, but the characters and relationships are not developed well enough for me to be attached.

---

What I appreciate most about this book is that it takes the standard YA fantasy narrative of an ordinary yet “special” girl being wed to a powerful king and makes it a story
Natasha Ngan
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Yes, I'm totally biased. But guys, this really is the book of my heart. As I say in my author note:

The story within these pages is a work of fiction, but also a work of love. The world I created in Ikhara has been heavily inspired by my experiences growing up in Malaysia, a country with a dense mix of cultures, and also as a person of mixed ethnicity. As such, it’s a bit of a hybrid—like me. I feel extremely lucky to come from a multicultural home, and it has shaped-and will forever continue to
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
In this fantasy world, every year, the violent and oppressive Demon King—the strongest of a caste of people marked by their animal-like appearances—takes eight Paper Girls (of the plain, human Paper caste) to become his concubines. Lei never expected to become one of those girls, but even more shocking was the twist of fate she met upon her arrival at the palace—her unstoppable and desperate fall into a forbidden love with another Paper Girl.

When I first heard the synopsis for this book, I was
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Just No! Doesn’t matter why! I liked Wren, that’s about it. Almost everyone else can kiss my arse! It would have to be my beautiful pink sprayed edges book!!!!

Mel

October Fairyloot! Pink Sprayed Edges! Yessss!! Although, I think it's next month that the US and Canada are not getting sprayed edges. Only other countries and of course that made me mad because y'all know I'm addicted to sprayed edges! =D Click on link below the pic to see the goods!

LINK TO THE GOODS

This was also the Owlcrate
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I already have 301 books on my TBR

BUT

this sounds so damn intriguing.

An f/f romance,
at a palace,
nine girls that get trained as consorts?
Forbidden love?

OH JEEZ!!!
*closes eyes and presses the "want to read" button*

Oooops! *facepalm*
Vibur
Sep 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
And there is a fire catching among us.

Well, I'd be more than happy to light this protagonist's flimsy, highly flammable, paper-y ass on fire.
(Rant alert. But after putting myself through the agony of reading and re-reading this, I am feeling decidedly grouchy.)

Girls of Paper and
Lily ☁️
My full review is now up on my blog! Also, this happened … no big deal.

“I know what it means to dream about the past.
To dream about things you have loved, and lost.”

Some books entrance you with their devastatingly gorgeous, lush, and magical prose, transporting you to a whole new world with the magnificent imagery they weave, leaving you spellbound, and speechless.

Some books draw you in with characters so full of heart and soul that you feel as if you’re living their stories, leaving you
Lola
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
In Lei’s world, demons rule over mortals and she, a Paper girl—the lowest of the casts—has no power whatsoever. Until she is sent to serve the king—in bed, mainly—and creates allies. She then realizes she might just have power after all and be meant for more than bedding the enemy.

The problem is that dear Lei feels too much. She lets her emotions show on her face at all times and reacts without thinking first. She gets in trouble because she doesn’t take the time to question and plan, someone
Elena
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

An own-voices queer characters story about two sapphic girls who fall in love while experiencing violence and abuse as they are held as concubines to the Demon King? I was sold.

Girls of Paper and Fire is about Lei, a 17-year-old made of fire
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow. This book was so intense and amazing. I’m still processing how I feel about it. I absolutely loved it though.
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4.5 Stars

”We might be Paper Girls, easily torn and written upon. The very title we’re given suggests that we are blank, waiting to be filled. But what the Demon King and his court do not understand is that paper is flammable. And there is a fire catching among us.

You know that special pain that comes when a book with an amazing premise fails to live up to expectations?

Now imagine the exact opposite. THAT was this book for me. That special kind of joy when a book with high expectations
Trina (Between Chapters)
I am very impressed. The thing that stands out to me the most is that the writing was both beautiful and engaging. I enjoyed the main character's arc, the f/f romance, the rebellion aspect, and the class politics. The ending and epilogue were great! Felt like a movie.

Audiobook: Above average, highly recommend!

tw: I would especially caution readers about the focus on sexual assault. The main character is forced into life as a courtesan that she wants no part of. To the best of my knowledge, here
Kayla Dawn
I really enjoyed the writing style, especially descriptions of clothes and the setting were done very nicely (even though some parts were a little cheesy and overdone, but I can deal with that if it's not too excessive).

The characters were fine but I think they could've gotten more depth to them and I feel like our protagonist didn't really change much throughout the whole story. Would've loved to see some growth in her (There was a little bit, but also not really u know?).
I hope we're going to
Nick
Sep 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
This looks sensational.
C.G. Drews
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whoa this was perfectly magical and emotional and harrowing...so deserving of the hype! It's such a dark premise, but it's handled so well. And can I just say the amount of Asian #ownvoices fantasies coming out at the moment is incredible (!!) not only that this has an f/f romance, demons, rebellions, secret assassins, empowering female friendships aND A BEAUTIFUL COVER.

bless tbh, we have been blessed

WORLD BUILDING
dude, this was amazing. Complex and developed, with history and lore!! the world
Yusra  ✨
hOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL I AM IN TEARS THE CLIFFHANGER IS TOO MUCH

--------------------------------------

wow, this is EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL IN REAL LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tatiana
Dec 25, 2018 marked it as dnf
Recommends it for: those who like standard fantasies
Final thoughts

Sorry, book club, I am not going to get through this. I tried two times, and I just can't. This story has been written better by other, more talented, writers. James Patterson doesn't know what he is talking about.

Do yourself a favor read this instead:

Original hot take

I am curious, did Natasha Ngan, Tomi Adeyemi, Megan Bennett, Renee Ahdieh go to the same creative writing class? They sound exactly the same, they have the same narrators and the same write-by-numbers plots and
Samantha
Jan 16, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF’d because I found myself not caring about the story or characters. The brutality of the world was not offset by me caring about the plot or characters. Nothing is happening and reading reviews from people who have read it, I don’t think this will improve for me.
Cesar
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

*heavenly choir*

Oh my God, I love this book so much! This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018 and it did not disappoint. I fulfilled all of my needs and paid off in the end. I cannot describe how much I enjoyed my time reading Girls of Paper and Fire.

description

This may be a fantasy story, but the messages behind it are so prevalent in our time. A lot of my friends have said that the book is about rape culture, how rape is about power, and I agree with them. There are so many good
Chloe
SO GOOD!!!
Heather
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Really enjoyed this book!
✨    jamieson   ✨
And there is a fire catching among us.

when someone says there's a fantasy ya book coming out with a slowburn f/f romance following a girls struggle to defy the demon king and the misogynistic societal structures he embodies by undermining his system of choosing girls to be his
Lex Kent
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good YA fantasy book. I’m a huge fantasy fan so I was excited to read this. While the pace was a tiny bit up and down at times, enough went on to keep me on my toes and to keep reading. It looks like this is going to be a start of a series which I’m happy about.

The world is split up in a three caste system with humans being the lowest and demons on top. Lei, is a human whose beauty gets her noticed and stuck in the position of being the demon kings concubine. While supposedly an honor
Acqua
I'm so glad this book, an f/f book about an Asian girl who is a survivor of sexual abuse, is a NYT bestseller.

Girls of Paper and Fire is a beautiful, necessary book. It's also very dark by YA fantasy standards. It's worth reading, but I think one should keep in mind that it contains sexual assault, animal violence/death of a pet, death of a parent, and outing.

Girls of Paper and Fire follows Lei, a queer girl living in a fantasy world inspired by Malaysia, which is ruled by a demon king who takes

• Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • Amber & Dusk (Amber & Dusk, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
Natasha Ngan is a NYT bestselling author and yoga teacher. She grew up between Malaysia, where the Chinese side of her family is from, and the UK. This multicultural upbringing continues to influence her writing, and she is passionate about bringing diverse stories to teens. Natasha studied Geography at the University of Cambridge before working as a social media consultant and fashion blogger.

Girls of Paper and Fire (3 books)
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Girls of Fate and Fury (Girls of Paper and Fire, #3)
“I don't want an easy life. I want a meaningful one.” 112 likes