Start by marking “Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire, #1)

Girls of Paper and Fire

(Girls of Paper and Fire #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  6,582 ratings  ·  1,768 reviews
Each year, eight beautiful girls are chosen as Paper Girls to serve the king. It's the highest honor they could hope for...and the most cruel.

But this year, there's a ninth girl. And instead of paper, she's made of fire.

In this lush fantasy, Lei is a member of the Paper caste, the lowest and most oppressed class in Ikhara. She lives in a remote village with her father, whe
Published November 6th 2018 by Jimmy Patterson Books

To ask other readers questions about Girls of Paper and Fire, please sign up.
Natasha Ngan Hi! Thank you for your question. Just sharing my answer to someone who asked this on my author page :)

GIRLS does explore sexual assault and the…more

GIRLS does explore sexual assault and the traumatic aftermath, so it's a theme throughout the book. However I've tried to write it as delicately and respectfully as possible, so the scenes are (in my opinion) not graphic, but the characters do talk and think about what happened afterwards. I didn't write it with the intention to distress or shock readers - it's written with love and care, and I myself am a sexual abuse survivor. Ultimately though it's a very personal thing, so I can't tell you whether you will or won't be affected by reading it. Perhaps you can only read it on good days when you feel strong and not too vulnerable? Hope that helps! Nx(less)

شيماء ✨
[Sappho’s voice] Sweet mother, I cannot weave, slender Aphrodite has overcome me with longing for a secret warrior-assassin-goddess and her rebel girlfriend!!

So, what's this book about?

In Ikhara, the world our protagonist Lei inhabits, there are three castes: Moon, the reigning caste that is entirely demon; Paper, the downtrodden caste that is wholly human and Steel, who are endowed with both demon and human elements. Every year, the Moon caste’s king selects eight Paper Girls as his concubine
Elise (TheBookishActress)
THIS RELEASED TODAY!!
And there is a fire catching among us.

I mean, I think I knew this had My Exact Vibes from the first time I heard of it. so perhaps it’s not the biggest shock in the world that I really, really liked this, but still - this book deserves the world, and you shoul
Emily May
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, young-adult, fantasy, 2018
And there is a fire catching among us.

This was SO MUCH MORE than I expected. Girls of Paper and Fire is a lush fantasy story that goes to some extremely dark places. The light amid this darkness is the central f/f romance that evolves gradually and naturally, never overtaking the p
Melanie

ARC provided by Hachette in exchange for an honest review.

“We might be Paper Girls, easily torn and written upon. The very title we're given suggests that we are blank, waiting to be filled. But what the Demon King and his court do not understand is that paper is flammable. And there is a fire catching among us.”

Once I heard that this was an ownvoices Asian inspired fantasy world where two girls, who are forced to be concubines to a demon king, try to overcome it all and fall in love, I kne
may ➹
I don’t want an easy life. I want a meaningful one.

I don’t think I can ever describe just how much this book means to me, but as soon as I’d heard that this book actually existed, I knew I needed it in my life. And I’m so happy that it’s getting all the hype, because this book is gorgeous and beautiful and a story we all need to read and listen to.

In this world called Ikhara, there are three castes, and a Demon King who rules them all. There’s Paper: the lowest caste, fully human, with no an

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I am so cheesed off right now that I'm having trouble putting my fury to (virtual) paper. This is CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE all over again. People were singing this book's praises for being diverse!fantasy featuring not just a heroine of color, but a heroine of color who was a lesbian. How could this be bad? I asked myself. The advance reviews were great, and almost unanimously positive. It was an F/F romance set in a fantasyscape based of
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I already have 301 books on my TBR

BUT

this sounds so damn intriguing.

An f/f romance,
at a palace,
nine girls that get trained as consorts?
Forbidden love?

OH JEEZ!!!
*closes eyes and presses the "want to read" button*

Oooops! *facepalm*
Lola
In Lei’s world, demons rule over mortals and she, a Paper girl—the lowest of the casts—has no power whatsoever. Until she is sent to serve the king—in bed, mainly—and creates allies. She then realizes she might just have power after all and be meant for more than bedding the enemy.

The problem is that dear Lei feels too much. She lets her emotions show on her face at all times and reacts without thinking first. She gets in trouble because she doesn’t take the time to question and plan, someone e
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Just No! Doesn’t matter why! I liked Wren, that’s about it. Almost everyone else can kiss my arse! It would have to be my beautiful pink sprayed edges book!!!!

Mel
🖤🐶🐺🐾

October Fairyloot! Pink Sprayed Edges! Yessss!! Although, I think it's next month that the US and Canada are not getting sprayed edges. Only other countries and of course that made me mad because y'all know I'm addicted to sprayed edges! =D Click on link below the pic to see the goods!

LINK TO THE GOODS

This was also the Owlcrate N
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4.5 Stars

”We might be Paper Girls, easily torn and written upon. The very title we’re given suggests that we are blank, waiting to be filled. But what the Demon King and his court do not understand is that paper is flammable. And there is a fire catching among us.

You know that special pain that comes when a book with an amazing premise fails to live up to expectations?

Now imagine the exact opposite. THAT was this book for me. That special kind of joy when a book with high expectations deliver
Maggie
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

An own-voices queer characters story about two sapphic girls who fall in love while experiencing violence and abuse as they are held as concubines to the Demon King? I was sold.

Girls of Paper and Fire is about Lei, a 17-year-old made of fire
Natasha Ngan
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Yes, I'm totally biased. But guys, this really is the book of my heart. As I say in my author note:

The story within these pages is a work of fiction, but also a work of love. The world I created in Ikhara has been heavily inspired by my experiences growing up in Malaysia, a country with a dense mix of cultures, and also as a person of mixed ethnicity. As such, it’s a bit of a hybrid—like me. I feel extremely lucky to come from a multicultural home, and it has shaped-and will forever continue to
Lily ☁️
My full review is now up on my blog! Also, this happened … no big deal.

“I know what it means to dream about the past.
To dream about things you have loved, and lost.”

Some books entrance you with their devastatingly gorgeous, lush, and magical prose, transporting you to a whole new world with the magnificent imagery they weave, leaving you spellbound, and speechless.

Some books draw you in with characters so full of heart and soul that you feel as if you’re living their stories, leaving you hel
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow. This book was so intense and amazing. I’m still processing how I feel about it. I absolutely loved it though.
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
In this fantasy world, every year, the violent and oppressive Demon King—the strongest of a caste of people marked by their animal-like appearances—takes eight Paper Girls (of the plain, human Paper caste) to become his concubines. Lei never expected to become one of those girls, but even more shocking was the twist of fate she met upon her arrival at the palace—her unstoppable and desperate fall into a forbidden love with another Paper Girl.

When I first heard the synopsis for this book, I was
Nick
Sep 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
This looks sensational.
Yusra  ✨
hOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL I AM IN TEARS THE CLIFFHANGER IS TOO MUCH

--------------------------------------

wow, this is EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL IN REAL LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
C.G. Drews
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whoa this was perfectly magical and emotional and harrowing...so deserving of the hype! It's such a dark premise, but it's handled so well. And can I just say the amount of Asian #ownvoices fantasies coming out at the moment is incredible (!!) not only that this has an f/f romance, demons, rebellions, secret assassins, empowering female friendships aND A BEAUTIFUL COVER.

bless tbh, we have been blessed

➸ WORLD BUILDING
dude, this was amazing. Complex and developed, with history and lore!! the world
Cesar
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

*heavenly choir*

Oh my God, I love this book so much! This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018 and it did not disappoint. I fulfilled all of my needs and paid off in the end. I cannot describe how much I enjoyed my time reading Girls of Paper and Fire.

description

This may be a fantasy story, but the messages behind it are so prevalent in our time. A lot of my friends have said that the book is about rape culture, how rape is about power, and I agree with them. There are so many good message
Cait • A Page with a View
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-arcs
Release date: November 6, 2018

Yeah, this is easily one of the best YA releases of 2018... The year might be only halfway over but I'm 100% fine calling it now. Absolutely everything about this book was incredible. The worldbuilding & writing were absolutely gorgeous, mesmerizing, enchanting — whatever enthusiastic term you can think of would totally fit. The story was SO easy to read and get invested in... it just flowed effortlessly.

Sometimes I find an awesome story idea but the execution
Trina (Between Chapters)
I may be adjusting my rating later on but as of finishing this I am very impressed. The thing that stands out to me the most is that the writing was both beautiful and engaging. I enjoyed the main character's arc, the f/f romance, the rebellion aspect, and the class politics. The ending and epilogue were great! Felt like a movie.

Audiobook: Above average, highly recommend!

tw: I would especially caution readers about the focus on sexual assault. The main character is forced into life as a courtesa
Vibur
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted so badly to love this.
Mired in suffering and pain, Girls of Paper and Fire is raw, harrowing and threaded through with themes of oppression, discrimination and sexual violence. More than that, it's fiercely empowering—a story of love and friendship, strength and determination, hope and courage.
The settings are richly imagined and the descriptions rendered in enthralling detail, lavish vignettes of Asian culture bursting with colourful, tangible life.
All the makings of what should have b
Heather
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Really enjoyed this book!
Lex Kent
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good YA fantasy book. I’m a huge fantasy fan so I was excited to read this. While the pace was a tiny bit up and down at times, enough went on to keep me on my toes and to keep reading. It looks like this is going to be a start of a series which I’m happy about.

The world is split up in a three caste system with humans being the lowest and demons on top. Lei, is a human whose beauty gets her noticed and stuck in the position of being the demon kings concubine. While supposedly an honor
Hamad
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

"We might be Paper Girls, easily torn and written upon. The very title we’re given suggests that we are blank, waiting to be filled."

🌟 It has been a week since I finished this book and I have been thinking about it the whole week. The short and direct answer is that it is a good book, but I certainly think it could have been better. I will break down my thoughts for this book which will help me giving it a final sta
Malanie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who are live for setting & if the romance is not strong it's not a big deal
Recommended to Malanie by: Lily ☁️
“Her kisses heal the parts of me that the King broke. They tell me: You are strong, Lei. You are beautiful. You are mine. And, always, most important: You are yours.”

There were some really beautiful moments in this book!!!! So, even though I’m only giving it 2.5/5 stars, I want it to be known that I support this book 100000% and feel tremendously proud that it exists. It's setting such a positive/powerful example. HOWEVER. The story itself just wasn’t my cup of tea??? I FEEL SO BITTER. my l
Carrie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan is a young adult fantasy read that again I must stress should be for the more mature audience. There are several things included in this one that deserve a bit of warning before picking it up, violence, slavery, abuse, rape along with animal cruelty.

Natasha Ngan’s world she’s created consists of three different levels to the society known as castes. First we have the Paper caste which are the lowest in the world of Ikhara, this caste consists of the humans
Lena
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the best bookstore in the world, RJ Julia's in CT!!!

Girls of Paper and Fire is the first book in a new YA Fantasy series featuring elements from the Asian culture as well as representing the lesbian community where girls are taken as sex slaves for an evil demon king.

I honestly couldn't be happier about everything that is this book and I certainly wasn't expecting this to be a soul crushing read. I had no idea about the two lovers being girls, but quite honestly, that made everyt
Acqua
I'm so glad this book, an f/f book about an Asian girl who is a survivor of sexual abuse, is a NYT bestseller.

Girls of Paper and Fire is a beautiful, necessary book. It's also very dark by YA fantasy standards. It's worth reading, but I think one should keep in mind that it contains sexual assault, animal violence/death of a pet, death of a parent, and outing.

Girls of Paper and Fire follows Lei, a queer girl living in a fantasy world inspired by Malaysia, which is ruled by a demon king who takes
Natasha Ngan is a writer and yoga teacher. She grew up between Malaysia, where the Chinese side of her family is from, and the UK. This multicultural upbringing continues to influence her writing, and she is passionate about bringing diverse stories to teens. Natasha studied Geography at the University of Cambridge before working as a social media consultant and fashion blogger.

She recently moved

Girls of Paper and Fire (2 books)
  • Untitled (Girls of Paper and Fire #2)
“I don't want an easy life. I want a meaningful one.” 34 likes
“I don’t realize it until I speak it. And it’s different from the times I’ve said it before, or the way I’ve hoped it, as if dreaming something enough could birth it into being. I know it now with a certainty that has fitted into the lost core at the heart of me, as hard and angular as my hope was soft and shimmering. The King will not have me.” 13 likes