Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Audio Collection” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Audio Collection

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Audio Collection

(Sherlock Holmes #1-9)

71 hrs 58 mins

Ever since he made his first appearance in A Study In Scarlet, Sherlock Holmes has enthralled and delighted millions of fans throughout the world. Now Audible is proud to present Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection, read by Stephen Fry. A lifelong fan of Doyle's detective fiction, Fry has narrated the complete works of Sherlock Hol
Audible Audio
Published February 27th 2017 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes

Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Rating: 3.5-3.75 stars?
Beata
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ten stars would be too few for A C Doyle in the interpretation of Stephen Fry ... two Masters meet ..... and give delight to readers ......
Gio Listmaker
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Gio by: Andrea
Shelves: favorites

Stephen Fry Narrates Sherlock Holmes

The Characters Come To Life

Image result for Stephen fry gif sherlock

The Different Voices Are Amazing

Highly Recommend
Katerina
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing narration of (mostly) amazing stories.

This is a great listen and a splendid investment of one 15-dollar Audible credit:) It's wonderful to get to reread Sherlock Holmes mysteries for the first time since secondary school and to find them still gripping and cool. Also, Fry's prefaces to each volume is a delight.
BrokenTune
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply the best!

(Except if you are listening to the US version of the Audible audiobook which, at the time of writing, is missing the final book in the Holmes canon...because of copyright reasons, apparently.)
Melissa Rose
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How does one review the complete anthology of Sherlock Holmes adventures?

These classical works by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are such a huge part of contemporary literature that I find it difficult to convey my thoughts suitably.

Nevertheless, as some who had never read Sherlock Holmes before, Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection was an amazing introduction; Stephen Fry did a brilliant job of immersing the reader in each of the adventures.

As such, I believe that with 72 hours of Sherlockian
Sheila Beaumont
It's not quite complete (the "Casebook" is omitted), but this is the best and liveliest narration of the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels I've ever heard. Stephen Fry does a brilliant job of it, and his introductions are fascinating.
Cáitín
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I just love Sherlock Holmes and it was great to be able to set back and listen to Stephen Fry reading these stories and also given us some interesting information about the tales and Arthur Conan Doyle own private thoughts
Andrea
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, classics
Between fact and fiction is a space where legend dwells. It is where Holmes and Watson will always live. ~ Stephen Fry

Almost 72 glorious hours spent listening to the wonderful Stephen Fry bring Holmes and Watson to life can hardly be considered a waste of time. His love for these stories is so palpable, it makes even the most boring case a delight to listen to!

I also really loved his personal introductions which sometimes explained the role Holmes has played in his own life, or philosophized on
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}

Absolutely wonderful.

Stephen Fry does an amazing job narrating this and his introductions to each book were a joy. I honestly think that this is a collection that everyone who loves audio books should consider adding to their library. I will add the disclaimer that I adore Stephen Fry though and would likely be happy with him reading the phone book. This however is not the phone book. It is the enigmatic Holmes and his Watson.

I had some issues with various cases, mostly the sexism and racism t
A.M.
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, i-own
2435 pages or in audio book, 71 hrs 58 mins. Let’s call it 72 hours.
All four novels and five short story collections.
A Study in Scarlet
The Return of Sherlock Holmes
The Valley of Fear
His Last Bow
The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes

It even includes the only work written in third person pov [it was originally a stage play]. It is very odd to have things happening without Dr Watson there to describ
Bart
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: masterpiece
Sherlock Holmes stories are remarkable, and with Stephen Fry as narrator, it's a magical story!
Dyan
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did it! I finished!

I listened to this collection on audiobook and I must say, it was a great experience. The narrator was Stephen Fry, and his narration is just wonderful!
Sadly, I didn't jot down which stories I liked over others, and they would be too many to recap anyway, so I'll just say a few words about the collection as a whole:
I really liked it! I'm glad I finally read this classic of its genre and I'm also happy I read them on audiobook, as I don't know for sure if I would've powered m
Sarah-Grace
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had read the complete Sherlock Holmes a couple times. First time when I was 12 year old, that was my summer vacation. Listening to Stephen Fry narrate made it existing and new again for me. Also it is awesome that I saw the movie he was in as Mycroft.
Deanna
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes is reliably good-not-great for me, and still worth the occasional nostalgic re-read.
Jazzy Lemon
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant read, Stephen does all the accents and makes the stories such a pleasure !
Cloak88
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This here is a true literary classic!

The Sherlock Holmes collection of novels and short stories is in it's entirety, a work of art. This massive audio-collection of 72 hours includes all of Holmes's stories, and a true delight to listen to. Especially so because of the added context and flare given by narrator Stephen Fry (who in his own right is a SH fan).

In short this is an almost mandatory example of quality literature for any old school detective stories.

Ps.
As a side note I would like to a
Bookish Nessie
The Adventures of S. Holmes ⭐⭐⭐⭐ The Hound of Baskervilles ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
His Last Bow ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Stephen Fry's voice ✨✨✨✨✨
Kiesha ~ 1Cheekylass
I am totally in love with this collection. It's taken me 3 decades to finally appreciate the GENIUS of Sherlock Holmes and my Dear Watson. There are so many great stories in this collection. I think A Study in Scarlett was my favorite but many other short stories were equally as brilliant. I'm totally hooked, so much so that I'm considering STARTING the series again. This was 70+ hours of bliss! Highly recommended for anyone who loves Mysteries.

Stephen Fry's narration was UTTERLY brilliant.

I wis
Erik Warming
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All of Sherlock Holmes - 72 hours with Steven Fry. Loved it!

But I did cheat a bit, taking breaks with others books, as this is a heavy meal to go through in one sitting.
Muphyn
This will take some time... 72 hours of Sherlock Holmes, phew.

I expect that I'll have listened to most of these previously but Stephen Fry narrates them so deliciously and these stories never seem to get old that it'll be hours of audio fun. :)

Wow, I've done it! 2 1/2 months and 73 hours later, I've listened to EVERY SINGLE SHERLOCK HOLMES story ever published! They are all deliciously ingenious, some more than others but it's amazing how 100 years later, they are still captivating and withstand
Brian
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always wanted to read the Sherlock Holmes books but I'm glad I waited for this set.

This single title contains all the novels as well as 4 of the 5 short stories (I don't know why they left out the case-book) and its delivered spectacularly by Stephen Fry.

I'm only through the first book and partially into the second but I feel safe to say that giving the entire collection 5 stars at this point is a no-brainer.

Best part is, you can own it for free is you sign up for a 30-day membership to Audibl
Deborah
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sublime. Having all of Sherlock's adventures in one place is awesome enough, but Stephen Fry does a masterful job of bringing the audio version to life. At times I felt as if I was watching the stories unfurl, not listening. Highly recommended for those new to -and familiar with - the Conan Doyle masterpiece.
Anna
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take that you 71 hour bitch! I think I’ve been working on this for more than a year!
Marjo
Stick a fork in it! It's done!

I don't regret the time and money spent on this, it's generally pretty good. But there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
Tom Radev
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading the Hound of the Baskervilles when I was a child, no more than 12 years old and never actually finishing it, for some odd reason. I have since read it, along with majority of Sherlock Holme’s adventures and despite the fact that some of the stories are clearly stretched and just quickly written due to the high demand from readers- they are joyes. Every story is written with such grace and wonderfully structured sentences.

Now, the audio book – without a doubt the best audio bo
Megan
Nov 28, 2017 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: audio, 2017
The Hound of the Baskervilles was chosen for my office book club for December and I decided to use one of my precious audible credits on this 63 hour long Sherlock Holmes collection. After listening to and not really enjoying about 3 hours of The Hound of the Baskervilles, I finally decided to return it. I didn't care for Stephen Fry's voice. He has a pleasant accent, but his voice is too nasally and you can faintly hear some of his mouth movements. I don't think I would be able to make it throu ...more
Irena
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-audio-books
71 hrs and 58 minutes of delight. Stephen Fry's delivery is excellent, as always. The audio book includes not only the complete collection of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories and novels, but also Stephen Fry's introductions to each novel or story collection. These introductions were a pleasant surprise for me and an added value. I didn't know Stephen Fry was such a passionate Sherlockian, and since his childhood too, just like me, although I had never been a proud member of a distinguished ...more
Andrea
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I took my time over about a year to revel in the world of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. I listened while I was driving, cleaning, playing games on my phone, in the bath tub, other, and was also walked into dreamland by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s tales many many nights. I rise from this immersion with a sharper view in the art of deduction as well. I’ll miss this venture and will probably return back to these stories again.
Darius Murretti
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great banquet of short stories of Sherlock Holmes adventures. Rely on it Holmes will always a have the situation well in hand !

I got the audio book from audible for 9.80 on my platinum plan its 62 hours of Audion book it took me 2 months to listen to it all and i will do it again a few years

Fry does a perfect job or portraying Holmes and Watson .

a most singular book :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Audiobooks: Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection read by Stephen Fry 16 40 May 27, 2019 01:14PM

• The Beat Hotel: Ginsberg, Burroughs and Corso in Paris, 1957-1963
  • Flickan och skammen: En bok om samhällets syn på slampor
  • Suede: Love and Poison: The Authorised Biography
  • The Holocaust: A New History
  • The Most Dangerous Man in America: Timothy Leary, Richard Nixon and the Hunt for the Fugitive King of LSD
  • Lemon Jail: On the Road with the Replacements
  • Uncommon People: The Rise and Fall of the Rock Stars 1955-1994
  • Coal Black Mornings
  • The Kenneth Williams Diaries
  • A Place Called Waco: A Survivor's Story
  • Meetings with Morrissey
  • The Battle For Paradise
  • The Wire: Truth Be Told
  • Because We Say So (City Lights Open Media)
  • David Bowie: A Life
  • Burning Down the Haus: Punk Rock, Revolution, and the Fall of the Berlin Wall
  • To Throw Away Unopened
  • Withnail and I: the Original Screenplay
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism re

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)