Start by marking “Everything I Know About Love” as Want to Read:
Everything I Know About Love

Everything I Know About Love

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  42,222 ratings  ·  2,508 reviews
A spot-on, wildly funny and sometimes heart-breaking book about growing up, growing older and navigating all kinds of love along the way

When it comes to the trials and triumphs of becoming a grown up, journalist and former Sunday Times dating columnist Dolly Alderton has seen and tried it all. In her memoir, she vividly recounts falling in love, wrestling with self-sabotag
336 pages
Published February 1st 2018

To ask other readers questions about Everything I Know About Love, please sign up.
Becky You are missing 'relating' to her. I think it speaks to some people and not others because I grew up in a 90% similar environment the book had me laug…moreYou are missing 'relating' to her. I think it speaks to some people and not others because I grew up in a 90% similar environment the book had me laughing in tears because I've been through everything she has been through.. It's not really a story where you can jump in and escape into(less)
Chloe Bridge The book does move on from this. I almost gave up at this point for similar reasons, but there are some lovely bits about friendship, loss and learnin…moreThe book does move on from this. I almost gave up at this point for similar reasons, but there are some lovely bits about friendship, loss and learning to love yourself later on. (less)

·  42,222 ratings  ·  2,508 reviews

Start your review of Everything I Know About Love
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
2.5 rounded down

I'm on the fence with this one - it was light and very readable (even while discussing some heavier topics) and I enjoyed the early 00s nostalgia trip for a bit (yes, we all remember MSN messenger), but overall this felt bloated, self-indulgent and could have been 100 pages shorter. I wasn't a fan of the inclusion of the "recipes" (one was for scrambled egg?!) or fictional satirical emails either.

I’ve enjoyed Dolly’s writing in The Sunday Times magazine in the past, but this coll
Pip
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Ladies and gentlemen, I have met my new personal hero. I started reading this book and immediately felt like I was cushioned perfectly in cotton wool and marshmallows, covered in fluffy blankets with cherubs singing to me and playing with my hair.

In other words - this is genuinely one of the most lovely and funny and heartwarming memoirs I've read in my rather short life so far. I LOVE it more than I could possibly say. I laughed out loud (even on the tube which I find daunting) and cried on and
Nadia
Loooooved it! 😍😍😍

I'm a bit embarassed to admit that I hardly knew who Dolly Adlerton was before reading this book, but after finishing Everything I Know About Love, I'm now a massive fan!

Dolly took me on a journey through love, friendship, heartache and anxiety that was relatable, honest and funny. Filled with disastrous dates, wild nights out but also moving stories about friendship, this book will make you both laugh and cry.

I heard this book being described as Sex and the City for millennials
Amy
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Bloody hell, pals. This book is sweet and silly, smart and serious. I would highly recommend.

I don't read an awful lot of auto-biographical stuff but I knew of Dolly already, through her PanDolly and High-Low podcasts with Pandora Sykes and her amusing dating column in the Sunday Times. And when it popped up on NetGalley, I wanted it. I wanted it real bad. So, yes: this is a NetGalley freebie but thoughts are my own, of course: what is the point otherwise?

So. Everything I Know About Love. That
Lex
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I saw this book everywhere. It sat on my shelf for months because I wasn't quite sure what it was, and then I skimmed the first few pages and ended up reading the whole thing within 24 hours. It's funny and sad, and hopeful and realistic. It has a bit of Louise Rennison about it in the best way. Sobbed big chunky tears and laughed out loud many times. V good!!!!
Jessica
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, romance
I received an ARC of the book for free from the publisher (Harper Books) in exchange for an honest review. Since I received an ARC, my quotes from the book are tentative.

I found this to be a very relatable memoir. There were some passages that really spoke to me. For example, a paragraph from the chapter, Tottenham Court Road, perfectly describes me right now. She writes:

“When you begin to wonder if life is really just waiting for buses. . . and ordering books you’ll never read off Amazon. . .
Georgia
Apr 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
I listened to Everything I Know About Love on audiobook, mostly during my commute. This was good and bad - good because I hate to not finish books and there's no way I would've finished this if I had to dedicate 100% of my attention to it, as opposed to listening whilst travelling, cleaning etc. However, the bad was that I perhaps would've interpreted it differently in book form. In audio form, I found Dolly frustrating, whiney and self-indulgent where I might have taken the written format more ...more
Michelle Curie
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Hey world, it's the girl who has spent the last two days glued to the pages of this book. It's not like I didn't know who Dolly Alderton was before, I didn't even know she was somebody you could know. When I received an advanced reader's copy of this from NetGalley, a quick google search put me right.

Turns out she's a journalist and former Sunday Times dating columnist who also has her own podcast The High Low and now also memoir. In Everything I Know About Love she shares the trials and triumph
Jessica
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed it at the start for nostalgia reasons (yes, I remember the modern sound! I remember chatting on MSN!). But after a while, I found it quite repetitive, both of itself (here's another drunk story that I'm officially telling in a disapproving tone but really I'm quite impressed with how mad and fun I am) and just of loads of other writing (let's make fun of excessive hen dos/weddings etc like a million other people, let's talk about being true to yourself and liking yourself first before ...more
Antonia
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Nearly everything I know about love, I've learnt from my long-term friendships with women.”

As I've stated in my past reviews: I'm not a big fan of biographies. I found myself to never really like the author (or the protagonist, however you want to say it). This one I got for my birthday and I gave it a fair shot. And I actually enjoyed it!
Multiple times I found myself thinking "god I HATE her" and like 2 pages afterwards I'd realize I hated her so much 'cause she reminded me of myself. Dolly m
Cassie
Mar 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another book that I was disappointed by. This I have decided is because I'm obviously not the right age and by that, I mean that I'm too old and cannot relate with - the casual drug taking, the one-night stands or the desperation to have to be at a party.
And what was with the random lists and recipes that were peppered through the book? Was there a point to this?
Personally, I felt that this kind of memoir has been done a million times before and much better.

I have given this book 1 star on Go
Nicola Dewilde
Jan 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book just didn’t work for me. I didn’t really understand the point it was trying to make?
The last third was the most relatable but I’m not sure I would recommend to anyone.
Rahel
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has taught me a shocking amount about empathy.
Most people who read this I‘m sure will find themselves in every other page and will marvel at how familiar Dolly‘s stories and feelings feel.
For me, I kept thinking every couple of pages how much unlike Dolly I am as a person, and how different my problems and mishaps and self-doubts are to hers.
And yet with every new page, I found myself feeling more and more close to her, I started genuinely loving her, which seems like such a weird thin
Ruth
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
You'd think as a librarian I'd have realised that this was a biography/memoir as I was reading it, or I would have looked up the author or something, but no! It made a lot more sense when I realised that's what it was, because as a novel it wasn't hanging together very well at all!
I felt it was sort of okay...I know that sounds a bit wishy-washy, but basically there were some parts that I really enjoyed reading, and I felt were written very well, but then there were other parts that were either
Jessie
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were parts in there that I really enjoyed and appreciated. I felt like, at times, I really connected with Dolly. The writing style was nice and made for an easy read. However, as the book progressed, I felt - at times - quite annoyed with her character. I find it quite brave to open up about your life in the way she did. It was believable and real and although I didn’t always agree with her, it was interesting to read about someone’s life who went through similar struggles and sometimes de ...more
Kristīne
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Started reading with no idea who Dolly Alderton is, after some brief googling I still don't, but it doesnt matter. She is someone my age, different backgrounds, but same pain, same joys.
I liked the funny bits. It was interesting to read how different life had been in another country, and how different 2 girls - any girls! can be at same age. Not being a grown up can vary across cultures, you know.
Sad bits made me remember my "formative years", all the awkward moments, desires, failures of a twe
Ellen
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I definitely took some time to warm to this book. For most of the first half, I was thinking, "If I wanted to hear about posh public schoolgirls getting coked out their tits and spending time with nasty men I'd hang about any one of the pubs in St Andrews on a weekday." Luckily, the book finds its feet after Dolly graduates university and gets out of the 'fun but horrifying anecdote' part of her life and into the bit where she has to contend with being a proper adult. I feel like if I were older ...more
Fatma
I was expecting to love this ever since hearing about Dolly Alderton and listening to her talk on various podcasts, but it was so very mediocre.

Fundamentally, my problem with this book is that it was not at all—and I'm about to use a Cursed word here—relatable to me. My adolescence could not have been more different from Alderton's. Obviously I don't need an author to have had the same experiences as me to enjoy a book, but I feel like with this book especially you need to have some personal con
Annie
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book but I’ve been left disappointed. Lured in by the hype around it and also by the title, which should have probably been ‘everything I know about being single and having friends’. I thought it was a slight cop out to write a book supposedly all about what you know about love, then finish by saying “I’ve never really experienced it other than with my girl friends”. The value of your friendships is a fair point but should that really be the conclusion of this book? ...more
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listen to Dolly’s podcast ‘The High Low’, which I love, so I knew I’d love this book. Being exactly the same age as her, I could relate to so many of her cultural references (especially those about the emergence of the internet into our daily lives and the use of MSN messenger which became pretty obsessive for my peers and I!) and although this was something which really sold the book for me, I imagine they’ll resonate with people a few years younger and older than I, but will be lost on most ...more
Sophie
I tried to read this book three times and I’m not going to give it yet another chance.
I stopped reading around page 180, but I just can’t finish it.
I struggle empathising with someone who just messes her life up. I don’t mean to be judgemental or anything, I happen to like Dolly Alderton, or I like her insight on things, more exactly.
I think this is because of where I come from, but I cannot read about drugs and heavy-drinking and think that’s alright. It’s not. In fiction, I’m okay with it b
hanna
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
inhaled it in less than 24 hours, loved every single part of it.
i feel like i'm not alone, and like everything's going to be fine and like i have to buy at least 10 more memoirs because this genre is so much my thing apparently. dolly alderton describes one of my most private and scary thoughts in this book, i haven't often felt so seen and understood. i also miss my friends terribly because this book celebrates friendship and i'm not able to see them right now. still, this book made me forget a
Lizzie (TwoFaceLizzie)
I guess I should say thank you Dolly for teaching me great lessons before my thirties. I needed this book in my life atm. This book may talk about love, but it is mostly about coping with life, death, depression, anxiety and deciding who you should consider family and who should be out of your life.
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
I pretty much love everything Dolly writes and this was a fun, self-aware, poignant memoir. Nothing revolutionary but recommend if you're in your 20s and need something to help you through or just want a laugh.
Simon Pegg
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Katie.dorny
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2020
In equal parts cringe and heart warming, 24 year old me really needed this literary hug.

It got a bit (a lot) preachy towards the end but the humour saved the book on this one.
Anna
Dec 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well I finished it. Apart from a couple of moments of reprieve, I can confirm that this was a hate-read of a memoir by someone incredibly privileged and self-absorbed. Glad to see she eventually did a bit of growing up but MY GOD.
Inês
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
he told me that when we are children, we are constantly told to contain our behaviour. he described how being told not to be bossy or not to show off or not to be a clever-clogs puts up barriers around certain recesses of who we are; and we’re scared to ever revisit them again as adults. instead, we hide those parts of ourselves, the bits that are dark or loud or eccentric or twisted, for fear of not being liked. it was those parts of ourselves, he argued, that were the most beautiful.

well,
Evie Braithwaite
I just love this woman.

Although I adored Dolly already from listening to her podcasts, I wasn’t sure whether I’d be able to connect with her. I’m just embarking on the journey into my twenties, I never went to boarding school and my love life isn’t exactly anything to write home about. However, this was such a heart-warming memoir so full of hope which had me both laughing out loud and tearing up.

Everything I Know About Love isn’t restricted to talk of romantic relationships. Rather, Dolly has n
Beth Bonini
My 24 year old daughter bought this book and then she passed it around to all of her flat mates. At the time they were all going through relationship angst and break-ups and I can well imagine how Dolly’s voice was a beacon of light shining through the darkness and confusion. I don’t know if all women my age (51) can remember what it is like to be in their 20s, but I certainly can - and in a weird way, I feel like I am back at that stage again (single again after 25 years of marriage). There isn ...more
Page Turners: #1 Everything I know about love - Dolly Alderton 30 94 May 18, 2020 02:06AM
Page Turners: Welcome! 23 127 Apr 26, 2020 01:30PM

• How to Fail: Everything I’ve Ever Learned From Things Going Wrong
  • Normal People
  • Conversations with Friends
  • This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor
  • Queenie
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • How Do You Like Me Now?
  • My Thoughts Exactly
  • The Flatshare
  • So Lucky
  • Adults
  • Exciting Times
Dolly Alderton is an award-winning author and journalist. She is a columnist for The Sunday Times Style and has also written for GQ, Red, Marie Claire and Grazia. She co-hosts the weekly pop-culture and current affairs podcast The High Low alongside journalist Pandora Sykes.

Her first book Everything I Know About Love became a top five Sunday Times bestseller in its first week of publication and w

Articles featuring this book

As we wrap up our 2018 Reading Challenge, we decided to ask our Goodreads coworkers a simple yet tough question: What were the ...
“I would like to pause the story a moment to talk about ‘nothing will change’. I’ve heard it said to me repeatedly by women I love during my twenties when they move in with boyfriends, get engaged, move abroad, get married, get pregnant. ‘Nothing will change.’ It drives me bananas. Everything will change. Everything will change. The love we have for each other stays the same, but the format, the tone, the regularity and the intimacy of our friendship will change for ever.” 59 likes
“I am always half in life, half in a fantastical version of it in my head.” 46 likes