Start by marking “Many: The Diversity of Life on Earth” as Want to Read:
Many: The Diversity of Life on Earth

Many: The Diversity of Life on Earth

After magnifying the beauty of unseen organisms in Tiny Creatures, Nicola Davies and Emily Sutton turn their talents to the vast variety of life on Earth.

The more we study the world around us, the more living things we discover every day. The planet is full of millions of species of plants, birds, animals, and microbes, and every single one -- including us -- is part of a
Published November 7th 2017 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Many, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Many

KC
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding illustrations and text. Nicola Davies can do no wrong.
Peacegal
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humane-education
This is a wonderful book that invites readers to share in the sheer joy and wonder of nature. Life teems around us, but is also fragile, and it's up to us to protect the world around us. The illustrations in this book have a delightful, classic look. Share this title with a young person today, and introduce them to the astounding world that surrounds us.
Meredith
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Nice sentiment and some good information, but I wish they either had the "footnotes" on every page or no pages (my preference) for consistency. Also more conceptual than factual.
Linda
I always thought it was wonderful to introduce my students to the idea of scientific identification, learning how the "Many" animals ended in the specific classification that each one did. I remember one time talking about ants, learning there are about 12,000 species of them on earth. Wow! This book introduces that concept so beautifully, beginning with one - girl, two - flower, three - ant, then MANY! Big and little, different and similar, Nicola Davies shares a few facts. For one "big" examp ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Davies, Nicola Many: The Diversity of Life on Earth, illustrated by Emily Sutton. NONFICTION. Candlewick Press, 2017. $15.99.

Many uses illustrations and a minimal number of words to celebrate the wide diversity of life on Earth. A call to action at the end informs readers that many species have already gone extinct and encourages readers to ensure that the remaining ones are protected.

This book would work especially well for an Earth Day lesson or as an opener to a discussion on biodiversity and
Martha
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-3-non-fiction
From the creators of the distinctive, award winning title, Tiny Creatures, comes another wondrous non-fiction story, Many: The Diversity of Life on Earth. Every page exhibits the bountiful diversity of our species, and the balance it naturally creates. Double page spreads of ecosystems are gorgeously rendered in watercolor, showing the beauty of the species' diversity which nature provides, until the end of the story. At this point readers views the irresponsibility human destruction is creating ...more
Tasha
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book invites readers to think about the wide amount of diversity in the animals and plants that live on our planet. The book offers a small scientific facts on some pages, giving a closer look at things like mushrooms, microbes, elephants, and habitats. The book moves on to fill pages with images of different types of animals, one fascinating two-page spread has animals that were discovered in the last 50 years. It also explores food cycles for several different species. The book en ...more
Joanna
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy
The cover and title alone would’ve been enough for me to give this five stars. Biodiversity beautifully illustrated? That’s my jam! But opening it up and going page by page was an experience I thoroughly savored, getting lost in each of the wonderful and detailed illustrations. There was a lot of cool information and the names of featured species would be fun for any kid to read or hear read. The theme of conservation and responsibility towards the planet and biodiversity was presented well: we ...more
Lou Rocama
This is probably the best conservation book for children I've read. Granted, I can think of only two others at present, but I'm sure there are more.

The text starts very easy with counting and gets more complex as it goes. This plateaus at the food chain, then goes through extinction and conservation. There are unobtrusive italics on some pages with asides that can be skipped if necessary (ex. "all of these animals were discovered in the last fifty years"). The pictures are detailed and colorful
Amy Layton
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Boy, did this book pack a punch.  It lulls you in with its beautiful illustrations and depictions of the various animals in the world alongside factual tidbits and then tells you all about how multiple species are now extinct, including some we probably have no idea about.  I certainly didn't expect this book, this beautiful book, to be so political, and I love it all the more for that.   It's honest, it's real, and it doesn't shy away from hard truths.

Review cross-listed here!
Amanda
Food chains, pollution, cause and effect, diversity, animals, interdependence, ecosystems

Some reviews said that the illustrations were too busy. Some reviews said that this books was bleak. I say that it depends on what your focus is! The illustrations are gorgeous; the text and illustrations remind us what a remarkable, brilliant, blessed, diverse world we live in! There is MUCH to appreciate and enjoy and admire; we should care for it like the precious miracle that it is and not abuse these re
Kate
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love illustrated children’s books like this one that cover a scientific idea or concept rather than a particular animal. This one does a great job of illustrating biodiversity. Doesn’t really do anything to help the reader conceptualize the magnitude of things 5,000 vs 100,000 vs 2,000,000. There is a little bit of mismatch between the simplistic language and the ability to conceptualize numbers that big.
Adrienne G
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-nonfiction
This story is a great introduction for children on the basics of biodiversity and human's effect on the environment. The footnotes/additional illustration information are helpful if you are reading the story one-on-one (adult to child). I'm going to play around with it to see if I will be able to adapt it for a group storytime, the illustrations at times can be a bit busy but with a old enough crowd I think they would really enjoy it.
Tam Newell
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Many explores how vast our living world is in simple prose. Woven within the text are various facts about life cycles, animal species, and animal discoveries. The book is great to teach students about citizenship and responsibility as it briefly explores the effects man has on other living things. .
Sue Poduska
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The flora and fauna of the earth are not only beautifully diverse but also interdependent in magnificently complicated ways. The author shows that interdependence in simple terms, highlighting food chains and ways usefulness goes both ways. Recommended for the classroom and for at the home of a budding biologist.
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just a fantastic science picture book. Illustrations are lush, detailed and just a feast for the eyes on every page. The main text is concise and informative, but the additional notes contain lots more treasures to learn and discover. A wonderful book about the diversity of life that is a must read for every budding scientist.
Melissa Mcavoy
In a charmingly illustrated picture book Davies visually and verbally explains the diversity of life on earth, the inter-connectedness of life and the threat humans pose, via careless exploitation of resources. I was worried this book would be a dull diatribe, but the detailed illustrations and inclusion of fascinating facts make this a complete winner.
Megan Jackson
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is GORGEOUS! The illustrations have so many details you need several minutes to absorb everything on each page and take it all in. The message in the book is a simple one that really hits deep and will resonate with kids and adults. I checked this out of the public library, but will be purchasing a copy for myself.
Cara Byrne
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Human beings are part of the pattern, too, and we need to make sure it stays big, beautiful, and complicated ... because we could not keep living on Earth if we had to count down instead of up .... from MANY to one." Great non-fiction read including gorgeous illustrations and just enough information to keep my four year old entranced.
Liz
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated! From one to many, and a gentle message to keep it that way--the diversity of the many creatures on Earth. Some pages contain tiny explanations but most do not. I would have liked end pages to learn more. I do, though, always enjoy the work of Nicola Davies.
Esutterlin
Skimmed for review new books added to our collection. Concept of numbers and variety of species.
Illustrations almost like an I-spy book they are so full. Talks about pollution and impact of humans on environment and threat to species' diversity.
Pam
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A look at all types of life on earth. Very busy illustrations which may overwhelm younger readers. The author shares about how many species there are in different areas. She also touches on endangered and extinct animals as well as how many new species are found. Strong conservation theme.
Katie
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A simple book about the beauty and complexity of living things. Great illustrations and nonfiction tidbits.
I enjoyed the message but I wish there was one additional page so that it didn't end on such a sad note.
Jess Verzello
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stunning illustrations. This green message book combines interesting facts about wildlife and living organisms with our responsibility to preserve those living things. Children will love pointing out all the different animals and learning fun facts.
poppy
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 2018
This is a beautifully illustrated and accessible book to many ages. It presents the diversity of life on earth in a way that makes it exciting and interesting to students, it shares a clear and gentle message of conservation and preservation, and I look forward to sharing it with my students.
Tracy Clausen
I am a big fan of "Tiny Creatures: the World of Microbes," and this book is just as wonderful. I love how Davies takes big or complicated concepts and perfectly simplifies them for the youngest elementary reader...hopefully leading them to further investigation! Beautifully illustrated as well.
Mary
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
beautiful illustrations. A great start to teaching children about the living world and how important each living thing is.
Patti
What a great book to share in a Earth day storytime or wild animals storytime. Recommended for K-2nd grade
Nicole
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This could absolutely be used when beginning to explore the food chains and ecosystems.
Bethe
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely message about the diversity of life on Earth, little factoids dispersed throughout the text, lovely illustrations as well.
"I was very small when I saw my first dolphin," says zoologist Nicola Davies, recalling a seminal visit with her father to a dolphin show at the zoo. Enchanted at the sight of what she called the "big fish" jumping so high and swimming so fast, she determined right then that she would meet the amazing creatures again "in the wild, where they belonged." And indeed she did--as part of a pair of scie ...more