Start by marking “Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter” as Want to Read:
Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter

Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter

From the creator of Dilbert, an unflinching look at the strategies Donald Trump used to persuade voters to elect the most unconventional candidate in the history of the presidency, and how anyone can learn his methods for succeeding against long odds.

Scott Adams--a trained hypnotist and a lifelong student of persuasion--was one of the earliest public figures to predict T
Published November 16th 2017 by Portfolio Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Win Bigly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Win Bigly

Start your review of Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter
Stephanie
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
When Facts Don’t Matter are Ethics Important?
WIN BIGLY by Scott Adams

Hey, if you are a Conservative Republican, voted for Trump or believe that President Obama isn’t a citizen, then you should run out and buy this book without even reading my review. And, actually, I don’t want to fight with anyone so I would prefer you did not.

This is my opinion of this book.

Thirty-five years ago, at 22, I received an MA in Rhetoric and Communication and I studied messa
Jim Razinha
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I chose this book because I thought the title humorous and the subtitle true. I had no idea that Scott Adams was anything other than a sometimes funny cartoonist. I had no idea that he let himself be persuaded. I had no idea he was irrational until I read this. Of course, as a trained hypnotist, he wants the reader to believe that he has insights no one else had, and that he might have even influenced an election. Interesting... given that he's irrelevant, I still can't fathom his chutzpah in th ...more
Jake Rems
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I suggest coming into this reading with an unemotional mindset; simply sit back and learn about the rules of persuasion and how they align with evolutionary programming. It is an easy, yet thought-provoking read which shares insight on human perspective and how it is easily skewered. All of this seasoned with bits of dry wit.
Bird Lovegod
Nov 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Before I start with this review, let me point out that Scott Adams is a man who believes that we can bend the will of the universe towards our personal goals by simply writing them down several times on a piece of paper, wrote a blog post which he claimed would give the reader "better orgasms", and spent an entire chapter of a book trying to disprove gravity. He also predicted that Trump was going to get 65% of the popular vote, and asked his readers to "hold him to it" once the election rolled ...more
CëRïSë
Nov 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
I didn't know anything about this book other than that I had seen it in Lorin's feed,* it had Dogbert in a Trump rug on the cover, and it had a funny title. If I'd known more about the book or its loathsome author, I'd never have read it. Now that I have, however, I've learned some things:

1. Scott Adams is a "trained hypnotist," "trained persuader," and "good at describing things in words" (73), and his "brain has a filter to spot persuasion" (130). "Objectively speaking, [his] opinions will usu
L.A. Starks
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is for marketing and advertising types and anyone who didn't get enough of the 2016 election...

Scott Adams writes a fun book about hypnosis, persuasion, and branding--imparting knowledge along the way about talent stacks and of course, his experience as a public prognosticator in the 2016 election. From joint-smoking alternate realities to all-too-real death threats, Adams covers a distinctive waterfront of issues, including the person he identifies as a branding, marketing, and persua
Nicole DiStasio
Nov 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
I try to only review books once a month (so as to not annoy people with reviews), but I am making an exception here so as to help prevent anyone who has this on their list of "to reads" from saving themselves the frustration. This book is TERRIBLE.

Scott Adams situates himself as some kind of expert, and after multiple times rattling off his credentials he closes by offering the caveat that he's not technically an expert so you should take everything he says with skepticism. I URGE you to follow
Mehrsa
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
What a crock of crap. I was actually super excited in the intro because he kept promising that he's not a Trump fan, but he was just going to talk about his methods of persuasion. I was all in for that. But then I kept reading and I was confused and then I researched Scott Adams and he's a cheerleader pretending to be an observer and all his arguments fall apart with just a tiny bit of scrutiny. So, he's such a master persuader that everyone actually hates him? He's such a master persuader that ...more
Robert Anderson
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will not be tolerated in the liberal echo chamber...Too many truths and too little emotion. Let the triggering commence!
Joseph Serwach
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Read: How to Win Campaigns, Lose Friends and Change America

Scott Adams, best known as "the Dilbert guy" became the one pundit who got nearly everything right in 2015-16-17 when he saw the "Master Persuader" forever change the rules of politics (and media influence) in August 2015. Megan Kelly dropped a barrage of political nuclear bombs on Donald Trump with a question guaranteed to destroy his political career when Trump interrupted her, provoked laughter and took over the national agenda (
Scott Wozniak
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't agree with everything he says, but I really like the way he makes me think differently.

Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame) was swept into controversial politics when he started blogging (early in the 2016 US Presidential race) that Trump was using professional persuasion techniques and would win because of it. He was not a Trump supporter, in terms of policies. Just someone who saw technique that would work.

This book is about those persuasion techniques. Yes, there are many interesting exampl
Jeanne
Feb 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I try to finish the books I start and really try to learn from people of different perspectives. I couldn't finish Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter, Scott Adams' book on President Trump's persuasion skills. Cut to the chase: Adams describes Trump's persuasion skills as "weapons-grade" and a Master Persuader.

I get annoyed by an author's tone. Adams describes himself as a commercial-grade persuader: "I don’t normally turn up my persuasion powers to weapons grade. But I can
Russ
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You probably won't read this book. Sad!

By associating with Donald J. Trump, Adams has alienated half of his potential audience. That's a shame because he has written one of the best books of 2017 as well as the best post-mortem on the 2016 election. The book provides two ways to win and no way to lose. The reader will learn about persuasion as well as a reasonable and rational explanation of Trump's victory. Spoilers: 1) I believe the explanation of persuasion is more valuable than the political
Ahmad Abugosh
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
As a big fan of Scott Adams (I love God's Debris & How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big), I was super excited to read this book, and as I heard him promote it online, I guess I was "pre-suaded" to buy it as soon as it came out.

This book has a monumental goal: Trying to de-brainwash or "red pill" people that are still in shock as to how Trump won (which admittedly I still am). If you are new to Adam's thoughts, you would probably learn a lot and might even start seeing "the other m
Bill Powers
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Win Bigly by Scott Adams is one of the best non-fiction books I have read in years. Politics aside, if you are interested in the art and science of persuasion, you must read this book.

If you are interested in a political analysis of the 2016 presidential election cycle that is light years ahead of the usual chattering nabob talking heads of the mainstream media, Win Bigly is a must read.

Whether you were on Team Hillary or Team Trump – this is one damn good book!
Kathryn Beal
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
Fascinating read and great tips in here for personal branding. Persuasion isn't a hard science, so there are some moments of the book that seem more like magical thinking, but overall I loved his observations of Trump's rise to the presidency.
Charles J
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Would you like to read a book about Scott Adams? Then this is your book, especially if you want to hear Scott Adams talk about how awesome he is. Would you like to read a book about persuasion techniques? This book may shed a little light, maybe two pages’ worth. Would you like to read a book about how Donald Trump got elected, which is what this book is supposed to be? You are mostly out of luck—unless you want to be told that Donald Trump got elected primarily because of Scott Adams, in which ...more
Ed Erwin
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
Scott Adams writes: "One of the ways I make myself more persuasive is by telling people I'm a trained hypnotist and that I am familiar with all of the tools of influence."

In this book he does just that. Over and over and over he tells us that he is a trained hypnotist. Whether that makes him more persuasive is less clear. I found it annoying. Studying hypnosis helped him to learn some things, but it isn't a magic bullet and others arrive at the same point through other means.

There is plenty of g
Ajay Sambhriya
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
An observer sees patterns everywhere he looks in society, Scott Adams is one such guy who also happens to be a trained hypnotist, trained hypnotist, trained hypnotist, trained hypnotist..... Like 50 times.

Right from start when Donald Trump ( Or a master persuader, master persuader, master persuader....... Like 1000 times) announced his candidature for presidency elections it did fit right into not one but many patterns Scott has been witnessing in past. With all patterns hinting Trump's victory
Amber Lea
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well, that was something.

I found out about this book through a conversation that went something like, “Hey, you know Scott Adams, the guy who does Dilbert?” “Yeah, of course.” “Well, he has this blog where he talks about how he’s a trained hypnotist and he thinks Trump knows hypnosis too.”

It was something to that effect, that isn’t a direct quote, but I was like hmm, interesting. That sounds INSANE, and I love insane so...here I am.

Let me say, right off the bat, this book barely has any content.
John Martindale
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though I knew of Dilbert, I haven't previously read Adams' comics, and I didn't know about his blog or entrance to political reflections before coming across this audiobook in my library.
He is pretty sure of his ability to observe persuasion, and seemed to make a decent case for it, but over and again he announced how he could be wrong and would mention different possible interpretations, that is part of what was so unique, he was very self-reflective, the tone was 'I might be wrong and here i
Chad
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, business, politics
Two conclusions I came to after reading this book:

1) Scott Adams has a very accurate perspective about Trump's "weapons-grade" persuasive powers and political rise.
2) Scott Adams has a very high opinion of Scott Adams.

Until about two years ago I knew Scott Adams only as the Dilbert guy. But once he started accurately predicting Trump's political path using the lenses of persuasion and hypnotism, gaining critics along the way but scoring on predictions over and over when most everyone else was ag
Vicki
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Appreciated the discussion about persuasion in reference to Donald Trump becoming President. I was not familiar with Scott Adams’ influence during the election so I was able to listen to this book without preconceived bias. A great read for anyone with an interest in politics (especially the most recent election) and who has an open mind.
Akshith Rao
Dec 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I give this one Star not because it talks about how Trump is a master persuader who took calculated steps to win the presidency. The arguments presented were not convincing enough and the book felt a tad more like a (Trump is God) religious book sprinkled with some scientific terms here and there.
Dave
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biz
Filters (what lens you see the world through) are a major theme of this book. You have to read this book through the Persuasion filter.

Adams sold me on the Persuasion filter - I look at his book as study in persuasion and the 2016 election as a case study of persuasion. Put aside all the policy, ideology and everything else - different filters.

Adams writes if you like a filter and it helps forecast the future then use it. Persuasion works; facts, logic, reason - don't. 24/7 news doesn't either.
Ione
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with an open mind that wants to analyze the election through a new lens
If you read this book be ready for the ride!

First, I must say my biggest struggle with this book was the authors ego. He makes a point that to set the stage to be persuasive you should,"Broadcast your credentials in a way that appears natural and not braggy. People admire talent but they hate bragging." I would encourage Mr. Adams to take his own advice.

Second, no matter which side of the political field you lean towards, there is something in this book for you. The author frequently repeats th
Ryan
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wrongthink
This book does a great job of identifying and analyzing the persuasive techniques used, consciously or unconsciously, by President Trump in the 2016 election. Independent of how one feels about Trump as a politician, or any intellectual analysis of his positions on issues, Adams shows how he used language and presence to convince millions of people to vote for him. It is a persuasive case (heh) and implies this kind of candidacy will be the default in the future. The book does kind of fall apart ...more
Martijn Reintjes
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
WOW, Scott Adams (the writer) is so full of himself that it makes it almost impossible to work yourself through the book.

He does give an interesting take on why Trump won the elections. But instead of Trump, he made the book all about himself and how he saw what was coming (and maybe even caused it).

I was hoping to learn a bit about persuasion from the book, but all the "lessons" are so huff-puff branded and self-encompassing (for the author) that you really have to dig hard to distill them.

If y
David
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
There's an awesome 200-page book spread throughout this acceptable 300-page book. (3.5 stars)
Nicky Billou
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have ever read on the subject of persuasion. I am a professional persuader, and as such am keen on honing my edge.

Scott's book helped me do just that.

If you sell for a living, read this book. If you litigate for a living, read this book. If you write for a living, read this book. If you need to win elections for a living, read this book.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #58 Win Bigly 1 10 Nov 08, 2017 07:23PM

• Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
  • The One Sentence Persuasion Course - 27 Words to Make the World Do Your Bidding
  • Impossible to Ignore: Creating Memorable Content to Influence Decisions
  • Conspiracy: Peter Thiel, Hulk Hogan, Gawker, and the Anatomy of Intrigue
  • 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos
  • Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
  • Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts
  • The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure
  • Resistance (At All Costs): How Trump Haters Are Breaking America
  • The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • The Decadent Society: How We Became the Victims of Our Own Success

Adams was born in Windham, New York in 1957 and received his Bachelor's degree in Economics from Hartwick College in 1979.

He also studied economics and management for his 1986 MBA from the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.

In recent years, Ada

News & Interviews

“We humans like to think we are creatures of reason. We aren't. The reality is that we make our decisions first and rationalize them later....Your illusion of being a rational person is supported by the fact that sometimes you do act rationally.” 2 likes
“The grand illusion of life is that our minds have the capacity to understand reality. But human minds didn’t evolve to understand reality. We didn’t need that capability. A clear view of reality wasn’t necessary for our survival. Evolution cares only that you survive long enough to procreate. And that’s a low bar. The result is that each of us is, in effect, living in our own little movie that our brain has cooked up for us to explain our experiences” 2 likes