Start by marking “Bookstore Cats” as Want to Read:
Bookstore Cats

Bookstore Cats

Reading an article about cats who live in bookstores inspired author Brandon Schultz to further investigate the lives of bookstore cats. Cats have strong personalities that enchant and engage, and it turns out there are many of them living in every reader's favorite environment: the bookstore. With personalities and histories as varied as the books they tend, each cat has ...more
Published October 7th 2017 by Glitterati

To ask other readers questions about Bookstore Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bookstore Cats

Start your review of Bookstore Cats
Pamela
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it

Purrrrrfectly charming!
Book Buying With Katie
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
CATS AND BOOKS. Enough said.
Darla
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading about these cats and their stories. It was delightful to see them all in their homes loving life in the midst of books and the people who work and shop at the stores.The cat poems and folklore thrown in was also interesting.

The Cat Tales Store in Portland, IN, definitely caught my interest. What a great idea to combine a used bookstore with a cat rescue charity. Brilliant!

And what a treat to find out that there is a bookstore with cats in residence within driving distance.
Stacie
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bookstore Cats, by Brandon Shultz, is a charming book that's perfect for any reader or feline lover to peruse. Filled with real-life stories & photos of cats who live in independent bookstores across the US and Canada, it's a light read that you'll want to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon (or two, or three!) paging through.

Interspersed throughout are also some famous cat poems, as well as interesting facts on literary cats and some well-known writers who owned cats. Those who have a penchant
Lauren
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A cute little gift or keepsake book about bookstore cats from independent bookstores around the country. I also liked the odes to literary cats throughout. Very cute!
TheRavenking
As everyone knows cats are very reader-friendly animals. They like to relax, nap, lie in some comfortable spot spending their time most likely thinking about what they have read last night (since they can see in the dark, it’s seems obvious that they only visit the library after sunset). They don’t like to be rushed and have a natural aversion against human stupidity.

Bookstore cats seem to be an American curiosity. These felines act like mascots for their stores, some of them have hilarious
Stephanie
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: scanned-books
This book filled a need I didn't know I had - that is to say photos of cats with books. By the end of the book I wanted more photos of cats with books. The asides on books/stories/etc with cats in them or other literary related cats was nice but really I came for the photos of cats with books. From that line of thinking the bios of the cats or the extended plug for a cat rescue/bookstore or the portrait shots of cats without books didn't really do it for me...I didn't mind them but truly this ...more
Lindsey
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, nonfiction
It's hard not to feel warm and fuzzy over this collection of bookstore cats. Between profiles and photographs of real bookstore cats are cat-themed poems (I had no idea Percy Shelley wrote a cat poem) and lists of famous cats (i.e., cats in literature, cats owned by authors, cats from legend and mythology, etc.). Most of the cats were rescues but have since found homes in bookstores and made names for themselves among the literary masses. This book made me want to visit all of these bookstores - ...more
Kevin Coolidge
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Huck and Finn, the cats at From My Shelf Books & Gifts at 7 East Avenue in Wellsboro, are famous. Just ask them. These rascally cats are about to be even more famous. They are going to be in a book called "Bookstore Cats" about bookstore cats, of course.

In January of this year, the writer, Brandon Schultz, contacted Kevin Coolidge, owner of From My Shelf Books. "He had heard about our bookstore cat, Hobo, and wanted to include him in his upcoming book," Coolidge said.

Hobo, the bookstore cat
Alissa
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. I could have knocked it out (and added it to my Goodreads 2018 Reading Challenge) in a matter of hours, but I wanted to savor it. Besides, this is the sort of book that's best read in small doses, when you have a spare moment here and there. Also, too much of this book could result in Cuteness Overload. And trust me when I say this is NOT a pretty thing: Glazed eyes, drooling, incoherent babbling and inappropriately loud squealing, inability to focus on anything that ...more
Donna
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you love cats and books/bookstores, you will love this book!! Lots of photos of cats that "work" in bookstores and short descriptions of the cats and how they came to be bookstore cats. Also lists of cats in literature and some poems featuring cats.

I felt a personal connection to Wonton Chopsuey because he is the store cat for Chop Suey Books in Richmond, VA and have been lucky enough to meet him.

Recommended!!
Kristal Cooper
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A gift from my sister, brought back from a vacation in Key West, FL.

The idea deserved 5 stars, but all of the lists that were thrown in brought the entertainment value down to 4. The last poem, by Edward Thomas, was such a downer that it pretty much ruined all of the good feelings I had built up throughout the rest of the book. I wanted to give the whole show a very low rating, but I just can't do that to a book about cats!
Kerrie
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it

My guess is that you probably have to be a cat lover to really enjoy this book, but there are obviously enough of us around.
Interspersed with photos of cats who "work" in US bookstores and their stories, are fact pages such as lists of cats who are - Owned by British Authors; In Poetry; Owned by Poets; in Comic Books; and so on.
A delightful book to dabble in, and perhaps a good present for a cat lover.
Karen
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Books and Cats! Two of my favorites! This is a beautiful book. It features bookstores and their resident cats except for one that is, also, a shelter that finds homes for their cats. All the cats have beautiful and, in most cases, full-page photos. There are notes about the stores and their cats and, also, included are poems and facts about literary cats. Needless to say, I loved this book and highly recommend it!
Ally
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the cutest thing in existence- lots of cute photos and info about cats from different bookstores across North America, and talks about a really cool one in Indiana that adopts out the cats they have in their store which I think is great. This is just too cute, I need to visit all these bookstores!
Heydi Smith
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cat-books
A gorgeous book with beautiful stories and pictures of cats. Really enjoyed it.
Leanne
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Page after page of bookstores and cats. What's not to love?
Countrymm
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thus is. Wonderful look at real life cats who live in libraries The cat profiles and photos are so much fun.
Barbara
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book about cats in bookstores and hearing their stories. Most especially loved the many photos of the kitties talked about in the book.
Cindy
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
My husband got this for me for Christmas.
Now, I want to take a trip and visit every bookstore (and cat) mentioned.
Jenny

• The Creative Life: True Tales of Inspiration
  • Shattered Warrior
  • Jim Henson's The Power of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1
  • West Coast Avengers, Vol. 1: Best Coast
  • An East End Murder (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #4.5)
  • Cats are Weird and More Observations
  • East of West, Vol. 9
  • Rick and Morty, Vol. 9
  • Bone, Vol. 8: Treasure Hunters (Bone, #8)
  • Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom