Jump to ratings and reviews

Vampire Blood #2

The Red Lily

When Red falls for the Big Bad Vampire...

The Black Lily resistance needs a larger army if they are to defeat the vampire monarchy. In order to do so, former lieutenant and traitor to the vampire Crown, Nikolai must seek help from the red-hooded temptress he needs to avoid at all costs. The secret he carries could prove dangerous for her if she gets too close...even though keeping her close—very close—is the only thing on his mind.

Sienna will do anything for the Black Lily, and when Nikolai asks for her assistance to gain the trust of the commonwealth, it's the last thing she wants to do. The thought of leaving her woods and her wolves behind is terrifying...not to mention the danger being with Nikolai poses.

250 pages, ebook

First published June 19, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Juliette Cross

33 books2,231 followers
For upcoming news and releases, sign-up here: http://eepurl.com/XeKIn

JULIETTE is a multi-published author of paranormal and contemporary romance, including the best-selling STAY A SPELL series. She is the co-host of the podcast, Smart Women Read Romance with her niece, Jessen. As a native of Louisiana, she lives in the heart of Cajun land with her husband, four kids, and sundry animals. When she isn’t working on her next project, she enjoys binge-watching her favorite shows with her husband and a glass (or two) of red wine or whiskey.

Follow JULIETTE on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/juliettecro...

Follow JULIETTE on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/juliettecros...

Follow JULIETTE on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Juliette__Cross

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
17 (4%)
1 star
3 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 104 reviews
Profile Image for Carol [Goodreads Addict].
2,272 reviews24.7k followers
May 12, 2017
“Be true to who you are and who you are meant to be.”

The Red Lily - Juliette Cross:

The Red Lily is book two in the series, Tales of the Black Lily by Juliette Cross. Have you ever experienced that moment in time when you read the final word in a book and you just sit there, stunned, not knowing what to think or do after what you just read? Well, that happened! This book…if you thought you loved the first book in this series, just wait until this one, until you get to know Sienna and Nikolai, and fall in love all over again.

red caped woman on a horse:

Sienna lives in the Silvane Forest guarded by the hart wolves who are also her friends and companions. As much as she loves the solitude of the forest, ever since she met Arabelle and Marius, she is committed to the cause of The Black Lily. To do all she can to help to free the peasants from the oppression of Queen Morgrid. Her task is to travel to several cities to try to rally recruits to help in the fight. To do this she will need to leave her beloved forest. She will also need a guardian. Who better to volunteer for this position than Nicolai, the former Lieutenant for the queens army, now active fighter for the Black Lily alongside his friend, Prince Marius. The same Nicolai that has filled her dreams every night since she first laid eyes on him.

cottage in the woods:

Nikolai didn’t hesitate a moment to volunteer to escort the beautiful Sienna on her journey. He would allow no other to be so close to her. He has thought of nothing else since he first met her, the woman in the red cape with the fiery red hair.

“Was it his infatuation with this woman that colored his senses, washing him with desire and electric power? Or was it the woman herself who lit him on fire?”

“This woman was certainly a witch, for she beguiled him every step of the way.”

wolves of the forest:

The chemistry is so strong between these two. But Nikolai doesn’t feel he deserves such a pure and beautiful sole. He is a monster, a monster with a dark past that he keeps hidden. A dark secret that surely if Sienna knew, she would cower and run from him as she should. But even with that, they can’t fight their feelings for very long before they give in to the pull that binds them together.

“Is this…feeling because you’ve tasted my blood?”
“No, sweetheart. It is not. This is pure, burning desire.”

goddess of fire:

Danger lurks as their journey progresses and evil finds them. Nikolai will do anything to keep Sienna, the woman he knows now that he loves, safe. He tries to convince her to abort the remainder of the trip but she is committed to seeing this through. There is more to Sienna than even she realizes. A spark of magic deep within her, a spark only she can unleash once she learns not to fear it.

forest:

This is one of those books that build slowly, pulling you in deeper and deeper and then, WHAM, the author hits you with a heart stopping turn of events. Then, just when you think your heart rate has recovered, she hits you again! Believe me when I say that this book won’t let you out of it’s clutches until the very final page. The love story between Nikolai and Sienna is so beautiful. I couldn’t stop thinking about them throughout the time I was reading this book. But there is also so much more going on. We meet new characters, and find out so much more about the atrocities and motives behind the actions of the evil Queen Morgrid. There was one particular scene that was just devastating it was so horrible.

flaming heart gif

Juliette Cross’s storytelling was truly masterful throughout this book. Her descriptions painted vivid pictures in my mind that will remain for a very long time. This series has captivated me and I am so thankful I am given the opportunity to share my feelings with you. I truly hope that if you haven’t started book one yet, that you do now, so you will be ready when this one is released. I am sure you will fall in love just as I have.

Book one, The Black Lily, was a Cinderella retelling. This one is a Red Riding Hood retelling. I am told that book three, The White Lily, will be a Snow White retelling. Don’t wait, and get started now. This series is amazing.

“She wasn’t simply any woman. She was Sienna.”

Profile Image for Kat valentine ( Katsbookcornerreads).
583 reviews765 followers
June 7, 2019
Another fabulous book in this epic series by the amazingly talented Juliette Cross!!! I absolutely loved this spin on red riding hood and the big bad sexy as f##k big bad wolf,he can eat me anytime!!! This continues to be a very entertaining series with truly exception characters and the storytelling is superb. Nikloai and sienna had a awesome chemistry and I adored the word play something juliette is a master at. These two lovers are both strong and passionate and I knew once they both let their walls down the world would go up in flames from their passion. And the steamy love making scenes were swoon worthy! Let me tell what, Juliette writes one hell of book and she excels at paranormal romance. If you like bad boys with a side sexy check this series out! These vamps will make your lady parts sing !! Until next time happy reading you all !💋💖
Profile Image for Robin (Bridge Four).
1,574 reviews1,462 followers
June 20, 2017
Released Today

The Black Lily (Vampire Blood #1)

Fairytale retelling of Little Red Riding Hood with Vampires. Um....yes please.

description

Little Red Riding Hood isn’t exactly my favorite fairytale but I seem to really enjoy re-tellings of it and Juliette Cross’s interpretation is no different.

Sienna lived in the woods with her grandmother for years. She has heard all about the temptations that they can offer a young woman. Sienna never dreamed that she would ever be interested in a vampire but that all changed when Nicolai and his prince joined the Black Lily and came into her life.

I love Nicolai. I’m not sure if he is intended to be the woodsman in this or the big bad wolf but he does have a silver tongue and says some the best things to Sienna.
“None of them hold a candle to you,” he said abruptly. “Your alabaster skin glows and looks so soft, it begs to be touched. Your auburn hair, even coiffed in a simple braid, is fine as silk. Your carriage when you walk, when you sit so still as you are now, denotes a genteel lady of the highest ranking. And your eyes”— he shook his head, a smile quirking one side of his mouth—“ you could slay many a man with one come-hither look.”
Catching her breath after such a speech, she said, “I would never tempt a man unwittingly.”
“Sweetheart, you could tempt the devil to his death if you so choose. I thought you would do so to me last night.”

As they travel the land to try and recruit more people into the revolution they become better acquainted and fall into more and more danger. The queen in onto them and sending some of her special vampires after the duo trying to stop them from picking up anymore supporters. Man I hate the evil queen who seems to view humans as disposable and just cattle to be slaughtered. She and her son do some extremely despicable things in this installment and I can’t wait for them to get what is coming to them. I’m really hoping that Sienna will be able to be a powerful player with the gifts that have been bestowed to her in this book, especially after the price she had to pay to get them. But I’m glad that she has found a powerful protector along the way.
He was dangerous on any other day. But today, he was utterly lethal. He stood over Sienna like a dragon over his most precious treasure, daring any man to come close where he could devour them.

Like always Juliette Cross has some very unique interpretations of the lore normally surrounding fairytales and she gives us a good story. I enjoyed my time with Sienna and Nicolai and at the same time found myself really excited for some of the upcoming stories that seem to be in the works for this series. Specifically one that seems set up for a sleeping beauty retelling.
“The Royal Legionnaires locked Mina in her tower and starved her until she collapsed. Under the queen’s orders, they now feed her one drop of blood per week. Enough to keep her alive, but also trapped in the darkness of a hungry sleep.”

I’m very excited to see who will be the one to try and wake the sleeping princess.

I’m not really into vampires but I loved that this book also incorporated the Heartwolves more, their place in the forest and why they choose to protect Sienna. Their history was incredibly interesting and I wonder if they will get to play a bigger role in the revolution later as well.

Overall this is a really solid and interesting retelling with some steaminess added in. I like that most of Juliette’s works are 200-250 pages which is a perfect size read when you just want something a little sexy and fun.

Thank you to the Author Juliette Cross for the ARC in exchange for review.
Profile Image for Claire.
2,303 reviews704 followers
June 19, 2017
5 - Never fall for a vampire... There can be no future with the cursed. Stars!

The second book in Juliette Cross’s Vampire Blood series; The Red Lily picks up pretty much where its predecessor The Black Lily left off, only this is Sienna and Nikolai’s story.

ITs LIVE! -
Amazon US - http://a.co/f4iDd1l
Amazon UK - http://amzn.eu/2gzAYQm

This book was like an all-you-can-read emotional buffet. No lie, I went from happiness to heart-break, excitement to dread, laughing to crying. It’s sexy, it’s sensual, dark and brutal and all the feels in-between, Juliette literally takes you on a journey with Sienna and Nikolai, and you cannot help but feel the whole gamut of emotions with them.

She was sheltered and protected within the wood. But if she ever dared to stray too far, danger and death would surely follow…

I don’t want to say too much about the plot twists and turns in this one, it’s an high-speed adventure and you will be kept on your toes the whole time. The journey that Nikolai and Sienna take through the Commonwealth to try and drum up recruits and support for The Black Lily and the army she is building, includes stops in many towns that contain Queen Morgrid’s spies, so the risk of discovery for them both is high. I was literally clenching my Kindle and on the edge of my seat with each new village they visited waiting to see if they were going to be betrayed or not, there were times I was worried my death-grip would crack the screen.

"Revolutions aren’t won without danger. And death. We are all risking our lives."

The depth of the feeling and the relationship between Nikolai and Sienna also grows as their travelling takes them further from Sienna’s home in The Silvane Forest and her beloved Hart Wolves. And although innocent Sienna isn’t afraid to ask Nikolai for what she wants.

"When I do take you... there will be no question in that brilliant brain of yours that you... belong to me."

I loved Nikolai, an honorable Vampire dealing with his own personal demons, he doesn’t believe he is good enough for Sienna, and I loved reading the dual POV because it gave you the emotions and feelings building between them from both perspectives.

Her alluring scent had gotten under his skin, and he wouldn’t be satisfied until he’d gotten under hers…

This is a couple that go through the ringer, and the author is certainly not afraid to explore the darker side of battle with some of the things that happen to them in the telling of the story. But I loved each and every second of it, and I absolutely cannot wait for the next books release later this year.

The were a long way off from victory.

Some questions are answered in The Red Lily but a lot more are raised as well, we are introduced to further secondary characters, and the plot literally thickens with everything that is and has happened, I predict great things from the rest of the books in this series, and if the author carries on producing stories of the first twos caliber, this is going to be one hell of an unforgettable reading adventure.

"We will win this war."

ARC generously provided via Netgalley, and it was my pleasure to provide the above honest review.
Profile Image for Nicola.
1,393 reviews241 followers
June 8, 2017
Remember a few years ago and that angst-ridden vampire who everyone fell in love with? Well forget him, because now there's Nikolai.

description

Continuing the story from where The Black Lily left off, Juliette Cross takes her reader on a magical, heart-stopping and passionate rollercoaster ride as Nikolai and lady of the forest, Sienna begin their crusade to rally the locals in preparation for the stand against Queen Morgrid.

"She was sheltered and protected within the wood. But if she ever dared to stray too far, danger and death would surely follow."

From the moment I picked up the The Red Lily it consumed me, transporting me into Sienna and Nikolai's world. There's so much more to both their characters than you would imagine and, with them driving the storyline forward throughout, there is never a dull moment to be had: you experience every emotion they feel.

description

There's no question of not falling for this vampire and I fell head-over-heels completely and unashamedly in love with Nikolai—if ever there were an example of the undead having a heart, he is it. And Sienna is the type of heroine who I develop a lady-crush over because whilst she may live alone in the depths of the forest with the wolves as her companions, she's no shy wallflower.

"It would cut me too deep if anything should happen to you."

This story unfolds beautifully and brings every element that makes for the perfect read, leaving you cheering Sienna and Nikolai on, fanning yourself at the electric chemistry zipping between them, cherishing the tender moments and holding your breath as the story travels an unexpected path. And whilst there's no cliffhanger, there's just enough left open to carry us into the next book which I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on. The Vampire Blood series is shaping up to be a real keeper.

Copy received courtesy of Entangled Publishing for an honest and unbiased opinion. Image Adobe stock.

Profile Image for Jilly.
1,838 reviews6,209 followers
November 6, 2017
A fun retelling of Little Red Riding Hood with vampires. How can that be bad?

This story is as classic as racist grandparents.

Red Riding Hood is named Sienna. She lives in the woods and was introduced in the last book. In other words, you need to read the first one to get this one. But, it is actually even better, so...worth it.

Everyone considers her a witch.

She met Nicholai in the last book and has been having naughty dreams of him ever since. Nicholai is a vampire, and yes, of course he is sexy. Aren't all vampires? He's also got a taste for some witchy action in the woods.

Their mission is to journey around to nearby towns and recruit an army to defeat the evil queen. Of course, they have an enemy relentlessly pursuing them, and his name means "wolf". He is planning on killing Sienna by drinking all of her blood, but he also might torture and rape her first. You know, for shits and giggles.

The story had a lot of romance and action, but there was a point when Sienna is in the "Wolf's" hands where things get pretty hairy - in a bad way. So, it wasn't too fluffy and sweet. It got dark. We are also introduced to two potential new couples being Snow White and Rapunzel - or possibly Sleeping Beauty.
Question for those who have read this:

Overall, this was a fun book and continuation of the series. I am looking forward to the next one. I'm positive that the duke is Prince Charming.

Profile Image for Cheryl La Pa.
393 reviews64 followers
June 15, 2017
Loved it! This is the sixth book that I have read by Juliette Cross, so I knew that The Red Lily would be another riveting, delicious and imaginative read that would have my heart pounding and my pulse racing. And I was right. Based very loosely on Little Red Riding Hood, it is set in a fantasy world where vampires rule and humans live in fear.

Sienna is human, living a solitary life in the woods with her wolves to keep her company and protect her. She is known as the Witch of the Woods and is easily recognised by her long red cape.

Even though Nikolai is a vampire and former lieutenant to the vampire monarchy, he is now a member of The Black Lily resistance which opposes the vampire’s oppressive rule. Nikolai finds Sienna irresistible and fascinating, so he does not hesitate to volunteer to be her guardian when she is asked to recruit new members for the resistance.

They set off on their mission while trying to evade the Queen’s soldiers. Nikolai is wanted as a traitor, and the evil Queen Morgrid wants to make an example of them both to show others what happens to those that oppose her.

Ms Cross is an extremely talented writer and knows how to bring her characters to life. Sienna and Nikolai were both appealing characters, and I became completely invested in their adventure. The plot was perfectly paced and the romance was suspenseful, hot and sweet.

This is the second book in the Vampire Blood series though it can be read as a standalone. However, it is set in the same world as The Red Lily and some the secondary characters are also in the first book.

So escape into the supernatural world of The Red Lily. It is an irresistible blend of steamy romance and adrenaline filled action that will pull you in and have you on the edge of your seat until the very last page.
Profile Image for Tanja ~ KT Book Reviews .
1,355 reviews172 followers
May 23, 2017
Juliette Cross is quickly becoming one of the premier names in the paranormal/fantasy romance genre. Her books deliver a mega punch of action, adventure, and heart pounding romantic tensions that make her books simply un-put-downable.

The Red Lily is no exception. Sienna is a warrior in red who has been tucked away in her mystical forest. She has been called to duty by the Black Lily and needs a bodyguard— one all too willing to provide his services. Nikolai, a former Lieutenant of the vampire monarchy, is a wanted man, yet he’ll risk it all to keep the lovely Sienna safe.

““I’d rather take you away to some safe place and hide from the world so there is no one but you and me. I’d rather let the world bleed than put you in danger’s path one more day.””

Sienna and Nikolai create a calm in the storm for one another, and the way Cross weaves her words within this story is breathtaking. She makes this another stepping stone in her quest for storytelling perfection.

“The wind gusted through the trees. The leaves rustled, and a layer of snow drifted in a swirl across the road, sparkling like faerie dust. The night was silent and lovely. The world seemed at peace. But Sienna felt the coming storm, whirling in her breast and building for the dark days ahead. For now, she would try to savor this time with Nikolai. Heaven only knew what fate had in store for them around the bend.”

So, come. Join the magical journey of the Vampire Blood series. Revel in the feel of a magical world with a nod to the fairytales of old and immerse yourself in its wonder. You’ll thank me.

5 Stars

Pinterest
tumblr
YouTube
Book Babblers
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews577 followers
June 13, 2017
Queen Morgrid must be stopped. Her tyranny against the peasants is beyond unspeakable but it will take an army farther larger than the Black Lily resistance has to crush her brutal reign. The fate of the kingdom rests on the shoulders of one traitorous vampire and the beautiful lady of the Silvane Forest to gather the forces of the werewolves and more.

Sienna is committed to the cause and must accept the protection of vampire Nikolai. Can she trust him with her life or will her blood prove too tempting for his resolve? Even more unnerving, this is the very man who has shared her bed and her body in her sensuous dreams, in the flesh and very close, setting her heart tripping and her fantasies reliving themselves over and over in her mind. Further, Nikolai has his own secrets about Sienna, and is hard pressed to resist her beautiful charms or the scent of her sweet blood. Can he remain her guardian or will he become the thing her heart must be protected from?

As passionate as their feelings for their cause, the unspoken passion they share between each other is enough to set off their inner battles on an emotional front that is explosive. Juliette Cross has re-written the tale of Little Red Riding Hood and now it is all grown up, fiery hot and far more dangerous. THE RED LILYis a tale of strength, determination and soul-deep passions that cannot be denied as two souls journey into the world of the unknown, and connect on a level that will leave readers weak in the knees!

Juliette Cross uses her strong characters, their deep emotions and a seemingly insurmountable cause to once again rivet each reader to every page as trust, love and passion create strong allies in a war against evil!

I received an ARC edition from Juliette Cross in exchange for my honest review.

Series: Vampire Blood - Book 2
Publisher: Entangled: Select Otherworld (June 19, 2017)
Publication Date: June 19, 2017
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Print Length: 310 pages
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
For Reviews & More: http://tometender.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Saint Monique.
385 reviews166 followers
February 28, 2020
4 'Red Witch' stars

I don't have much to say about this one. I definitely liked Sienna and Nikolai more than the couple from the first book but the story was kind of boring in comparing with the previous one. For 65% they don't do much else except traveling around and being hot for each other. Not that I'm complaining about the 'hot for each other' part.

“I’m going to mark you deep, sweetheart.” He slid out his finger, then drove his cock inside to the hilt.
“Nikolai,” she breathed.
“That’s right.” He ground in a circle. “You’ll be saying my name a lot. You’ll be screaming it as well.”

description

Overall, it was a good book but like in the first one, I still have a feeling like something essential was missing.
Profile Image for Carvanz.
2,023 reviews684 followers
January 4, 2018
What an exciting follow up to Juliette Cross’ The Black Lily! I really didn’t expect to like this one as much as the first but in my opinion it superseded it in all areas.

Sienna has lived in the Silvane forest for years with the hart wolves of which she cares for as they care for her in return. Nickolai has arrived to deliver instructions from the Black Lily that she is to leave the forest in an effort to recruit followers for their cause against the vampire queen who has unleashed a blood madness upon her soldiers.

As they travel beyond the forest, the attraction they hold for each other is given permission to grow. Nikolai is a strong, possessive, protective hero that will do anything to keep Sienna safe. She is a sweet heroine that must remain strong until she can return to her home deep in the forest. Together they set the pages of my Kindle on fire!

Majority of this book is about their travels, the horrors that they find as well as the troubles that arise from some of the queen’s guards. The last quarter held me in suspense as the whole world turns on a dime for these two. I swear there were times I found it hard to catch my breath. There were definitely tears involved at one point. You’ll have to read it to know exactly how awesome Ms. Cross’ storytelling ability is and to discover what magic she holds at her fingertips.

ARC provided for an honest review

Can be read as a standalone
Dual POV
Very little OW drama – a few paragraphs
Possible triggers -
Profile Image for Deborah.
3,286 reviews429 followers
June 17, 2017

4.5*

This book features Sienna and Nikolai from The Black Lily.

Sienna (Red Riding Hood) lives safe and secure in the Silvane forest protected by the Hart Wolves but to help the Black Lily she leaves the safety and comfort of the forest.

Nikolai has been sent to protect Sienna and the instant attraction they both felt is still there and growing the more time they spend together.
Sienna and Nikolai are visiting villages trying to round up volunteers for The Black Lily but Queen Morgrid has given up all pretence of normality and is creating her own evil army and along with the aid of King Dominik she's looking unstoppable.
The sanguine furorem (blood madness) is spreading at an alarming rate and blood is needed to feed all the new vampires.
It's all coming down to a race against time.

This is a fabulous adventure which kept me hooked from the first page to the last and now I can't wait for the next book 'Snow White'

I voluntarily read a review copy kindly provided by NetGalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC.
Profile Image for Marta Cox.
2,530 reviews190 followers
June 8, 2017
This is the second book in this romance series that mixes up fantasy with a decided paranormal edge but what makes it stand out is the way the author weaves fairy tales into it. The first book The Black Lily took inspiration from the classic Cinderella story whereas this instalment seems to channel Little Red Riding Hood! Except our hooded beauty is no child but a woman who fully understands the evil that men can do and Sienna is determined to help the resistance known as The Black Lily to take down the cruel Vampire queen and her blood mad army once and for all.
Revolution of any kind is never easy and it's no different here. Sienna is charged with rallying as many villagers as she can but obviously will need a little help. Well step forward Nikolai, he may be a Vampire but he doesn't want to see his fellow countrymen crushed beneath the despotic rule of Queen Morgrid and is determined to aid his friend Prince Marius . Mind you it's no hardship being around the fiery Sienna as she's a woman he would definitely like to get his hands on and his fangs in! Their journey is a perilous one as you can never be sure if they are about to be betrayed but it will take them to the depths of despair as they face challenges that no one could have seen coming.
Well this couple practically combust on the pages and I'm surprised my kindle didn't have steam coming out of it! Yes this one is aimed firmly at older readers although for my personal taste perhaps just too many intimate scenes. However it's the story that captured my interest and we get to meet new characters here who surely must play a part as this series progresses. From a rather peculiar servant to the reason why Sienna reminds me of Red Riding Hood and no spoilers but it's not her cloak! Yes the author clearly has plans but a word of warning as she is not afraid to test her characters and at times this book was harrowing to read. Not for the faint of heart but if you want passionate romance with heart stopping action then this series is a must read.
This voluntary review is of a copy I requested from Netgalley and my thoughts and opinions are I believe honest and fair
Profile Image for Mei.
1,879 reviews404 followers
October 4, 2017
Ahaha, I knew that this would be the story of Little Red Riding Hood as soon as I met Sienna in the previous book! How clever am I? LOL

But, as in the Black Lily this is a fairy tale with a twist! :-)

I must admit that I love the twists Juliette Cross gives to the old fairy tales!

Here Little Red Riding Hood is not a girl, but a woman named Sienna. She's friend of hart wolves and lives alome in an enchanted forest where the heart stone is hidden.

In the previous book Sienna got involved with the Black Lily rebellion and offered her help to recruit other fighters for their cause.

So, a vampire lieutenant and Marcus' friend Nicolai is sent to protect and help her.

You see where this is going, no?

Sienna is a little bit naive and a little bit too much convinced that that she will succeed without much problem, but as she will find out that's not the case. She doesn't listen to Nikolai when he urges her to go back because he knows the danger they face... unfortunately... and things could have ended very, very badly!

Anyhow, there were many twists and turns that kept the story interesting!

I'm looking forward to the White Lily! :)
Profile Image for Erin Kelly.
163 reviews23 followers
June 22, 2017
This is the second book in the Vampire Blood series by Juliette Cross, which is an imaginative spin on fairytales with the best vampire mythology I've read in years. Book 1 was a Cinderella retelling setting the scene for a peasant rebellion against the vampire monarchy. This one is Red Riding Hood like you never imagined with the sexy Alpha vampire of your dreams. (Think Eric from True Blood with a tad more smolder and less sarcasm) It continues the story brilliantly and raises the stakes (haha) in ways that you can't imagine.

The Story-
Sienna has never strayed far from the Sylvane Forest; she finds comfort in her mystical surroundings and the giant hart wolves that protect her. Now, she must venture out to help build a following for the rebellion that is the only hope for the kingdom. Nikolai is risking everything to join the rebellion, but this assignment is putting his heart in danger for the first time.

My Thoughts-
My favorite vampires are the ones that are a little bad, a little snarky and a LOT sexy: Eric from True Blood, Damon from Vampire Diaries, Spike from Buffy. Nikolai is all the smolder and the sexy of those guys without the psychopathic killer thing. The best thing about him, though, is how all-in he is with Sienna. He is completely drawn to her innocence, her kindness, her everything. Their journey is all the feels. This book raises the heat level from book 1 in the series with some super sexy times. And WARNING: Cross will rip your heart out and stomp on it a bit.

The Bottom Line-
Cross does a great job of deepening the rich mythology of this world without overwhelming you with backstory. You should read the first book in this series, but Nik and Sienna's story is compelling on its own. The series progresses in a major way with this book, and you will be so ready for the next book when you finish. It's not a cliff-hanger; it just heats the story up in a way that captivates and makes you want to immerse yourself in this world to learn all its secrets. If you like fairytales, paranormal, alpha vampire heroes, and/or bad-ass heroines, you should totally read this book and series. 5 stars
Profile Image for Sissy's Romance Book Review .
7,517 reviews16 followers
June 18, 2017
'The Red Lily' by Juliette Cross is book Two in the "Vampire Blood" series. This is the story of Nikolai and Sienna. I have read the previous book (It was also great!!) but you can read this as a standalone if you choose to do so. But I do feel that you would enjoy this book more if you read the previous book. Nikolai and Sienna meet in that book and they both have parts in helping the previous main characters survive.
Nikolai is back and in need of Sienna help with a mission for the Black Lilly cause. Sienna has helped the Black Lilly before and also is a close friend of the Black Lilly. So when Nikolai comes with a letter from her and asking to help him secure information she agrees. Sienna lives in the woods with her wolves and does not interact to much with people because of the label they have given her as a witch. So she does feel somewhat worried about leaving the area but does what she must to help save people from the evil crown. Nikolai has been attracted to Sienna from the first moment he seen her but feels that she is all things good...where he feels tainted. But this journey has open them both up to letting go of their doubts an start to accept what is to become.
This is the second book I have read from Ms. Cross and I have feel in love with her writing! I am hooked on this series also. I just want more books from Ms. Cross ASAP!
Vampire Blood series:
Book 1: The Black Lily
Book 2: The Red Lily
"My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read."
Profile Image for Rhenna Morgan.
Author 27 books1,059 followers
April 29, 2017
Did someone say, "The Big Bad Wolf?"

Lordy, Nikolai had me the second he prowled onto the scene. I loved THE BLACK LILY, but Nik took that love and ratcheted it up about 1,000 degrees. All alpha and deliciously sexy, I found myself flipping the pages and ignoring reality until the very end. (Which came all too quickly.)

And Sienna--she's the type of heroine I love to read. Strong, yet comfortable in her femininity. And while their overall journey, championing The Black Lilly's agenda, was rich and full of suspense, one of my favorite parts of the book was the slow unveiling of her history and how she came to live in the forest. (Extra double bonus points for the wolves. Fingers crossed they get a series of their own.)

But the best part was the romance. One thing I can always count on from Juliette are smoldering interludes ripe with amazing chemistry and emotion, and THE RED LILY was no exception. Seriously, the ante in this series has been raised exponentially. So much so I'm practically begging for the next installment--THE WHITE LILY.
Profile Image for Jenn (The Book Refuge).
1,570 reviews2,272 followers
April 27, 2022
Woah! The sexy times have been upped quite a bit with this one! Nikolai and Sienna are on fire!! And that pun is intended for sure.

I loved this couple and their chemistry was amazing. I loved how the world is expanding and the hints at what is next. I am very excited for more.

4 stars.
3.5 on the spice scale
Profile Image for Kahea.
2,002 reviews102 followers
June 16, 2017
***5 ‘Show Me Life’ Stars***

I knew I’d be in for one hell of a ride when I started The Red Lily. I expected my heart to start racing with anticipation over what would happen next, but I didn’t expect to get all teary eyed...not once, but TWICE (which wasn’t cool since my makeup was all nice and pretty) but that’s what happened. Ms. Cross pulled out all the stops and then some with this book. It’s got it all: Hot, smexy alpha male vamps, evil batshit crazy vamps, strong willed women and a slew of secondary characters that you want to know more about even if you’ve only met them for a hot second (even the evil ones) and it’s all set in a world that is so vibrant that it’s easy to get lost in for a few hours and never want to leave.

I loved Nikolai and Sienna. Nikolai is all kinds of smexy, charismatic alpha male who can be all kinds of beastly one second and yet unconsciously kind and compassionate the next. He may have turned ‘traitor’, but that was because his strong sense of honor wouldn’t allow him to do any less. Sienna is a strong and independant woman, which is proven by where she lives and the circumstances that got her there as well as her decision to join The Black Lily, but she also has a kind and compassionate heart. What I found amusing about Sienna was how unaware she could be about her effect on people and the little, or sometimes big things, that made her stand out.

I loved how their journey to their HEA unfolded..well most of it. While the sexual tension between them was high, the angst was minimal. Both had their misgivings about being together, but it was more about how they perceived themselves and what they believed the future held for them, not how they viewed each other. They fun, flirty and the mutual respect they had for the other made it easy to see that they could have a future together. While most of the drama going on was due to their mission, they had their bumps in the road. One had me giving the author the evil eye, but I loved how it all worked out in the end.

I’m really enjoying how the whole working at overthrowing the evil crazy bitch queen story arc is unfolding and the pacing of it all as well as getting glimpses of who may or may not be getting a book of their own in the future. Friedrich I already liked after meeting him in The Black Lily, but now I want to dig around in his head a little more. I loved the hart wolves and I hope we see more of them as the series progresses. But the two that stand out the most are Riker and Dane. I had a bit of a gut reaction to Riker and I’m happy what I thought didn’t happen, and Dane, well, you’ll have to meet him to find out. So, bring on the next book!

~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed ~
Profile Image for Sylvia .
427 reviews116 followers
April 30, 2017
I am breathless and utterly speechless. The remarkable author, Juliette Cross, has simply consumed me with so many feels and many varying emotions, while reading this incredible retelling of Red and the Big Bad Wolf. I really don't think what I'm about to write is really going to do this beautiful and visually stunning story justice. But, I will try my best.

Can you imagine feasting your eyes on an Apple?! Now, this isn't just any Apple. In fact, it's deep and dark, ruby red skin reflects the moonlight while it hangs upon a lowly branch, deep in the heart of a forest. You're probably wondering what this Apple has to do with this story but please bare with me, I'm getting there. Now, back to the Apple. You reach up a delicately wrap your hand around this deliciously looking Apple and proceed to gently pick it off its branch and take a bite. You savour that first crunch and revel in the sweet nector, as you gloriously succumb to the feel of how light and crisp each bite is until you devour the whole thing. Salivating at every turn and sating the hunger you didn't think you had. Well, that my friends is how I felt reading this vividly rich and colourful second instalment of the Tales of the Black Lily. I know this imagery might seem a bit much, but trust me, this is the only way I know how to express the way I feel about The Red Lily. I couldn't get enough of this book. Every word I read, evoked such feeling in which took over my body in many ways. It really was an experience like no other, as I literally inhalled this story that forever has indented its soul on mine.

Everything about The Red Lily is divine. From the imaginative and seductive world full of the supernatural and the well-developed characters who set fire to your soul, to the fantastical imagery and depth to the very thorough plot and storyline, this book will have you roaring with all your might and leaving you ravenous, wanting and needing. This, my dear fellow readers, is what you call storytelling at its best.

As I finish off, I just need to point out that I received this ARC thanks to Entangled Publishing via Netgalley and wanted to thank the wonderful Juliette Cross for entrusting me with this intoxicating book and for creating the sexiest most devilishly beast of a vampire that is Nikolai. Can I get a RAWR!!

Profile Image for Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures).
1,521 reviews855 followers
May 21, 2017

“Be true to who you are and who you are meant to be.”

The Red Lily is the second installment in Juliette Cross, Tales of the Black Lily.

I had goosebumps while reading and am in awe. The first book was a creative marvel and then comes The Red Lily. Sienna and Nikolai will having you falling in love all over again.

I loved both Sienna and Nikolai. These two have thought of nothing but each other, though they don’t know it, not until they come together for the cause of The Black Lily. The chemistry is strong and they can’t fight their feelings for long even with danger around every turn.

The Red Lily builds you up, pulls you in and then, hits you with heart stopping events. Just when you think you have your emotions under control and nothing more can surprise you, BAM the author hits you again. This book will not let you put it down. The love story is beautiful, the authors storytelling is skillful, the pictures described where vivid, and the emotions just come off the pages.

I was taken on an action-packed, emotional journey, with some gut wrenching moments that had me in tears, along with some sweet and heartfelt moments, and several surprises along the way… Add it all up and you have a mind-blowing, unforgettable, and extraordinary romantic adventure.

Don’t wait to pick up this amazing series. Book one was the retelling of Cinderella and this one was the retelling of Red Riding Hood. I can’t wait to see what comes next.

Rated: 5 Stars

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy provided by Entangled Publishing, LLC via NetGalley with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

angelsgp-seethisreview-blure
Profile Image for Minxy Melissa.
1,740 reviews66 followers
February 8, 2019
The Red Lily was an amazing installment in the Vampire Blood series! This story was absolutely a swoony love story but it also contained a savagery that was not felt in the first book, The Black Lily. There’s an impending war where humanity was going to be fighting for their survival and the underground resistance known as the Black Lily was doing everything that they could to prepare for it. While the resistance was training and recruiting humans from whatever towns or villages they could, Queen Morgrid of the Glass Tower was also using her vampire legionnaires to take humans by force and use them to raise an army of her own to bring about an era of darkness.

Instrumental to the cause was Nikolai, close friend to prince Marius, husband to Arabelle, the leader of the Black Lily, who had been training the humans for the upcoming battle. Despite his role in the training when an opportunity arose for him to ferry a letter to Sienna, the women who the townspeople referred to as the Red Witch of the Wood, the siren who called to something deep inside of him, he jumped at the chance. Not a moment had gone by since their last encounter where she had not been in his thoughts, tempting him nearly to distraction. A temptation that also called to the beast that lived inside of him.

Sienna had lived a quiet life in her beloved woods with only her wolves for company for a long time. Despite her sheltered existence, she was not ignorant to what was taking place in the world outside her woods. When Arabelle had contacted her with a request to assist with gathering recruits from neighboring towns, Sienna did not hesitate to give her assistance. What made her uncertain was how she was going to hide her attraction to the vampire who had been visiting her nightly, in her dreams, the vampire who she shouldn’t want but desperately did. In spite of her fears of leaving the woods, Sienna joined Nikolai and together they started a journey that would bring about unexpected pleasures and indescribable pain.

I adored reading The Red Lily! It was so completely different from the previous book, which I was not expecting. It was also a twist on the Red Riding Hood tale and quite honestly is my favorite one so far. This story is a romance but the overarching plot is one filled with barbarity, cruelty, and an impending war that will decide the fate of all humanity. Definitely not something you would expect in a romance but with astonishing skill the story blends all those elements together into a heart pounding, sensual love story that also conveys the evil that is infiltrating the world around Sienna and Nikolai. Chapter by chapter I was seduced by The Red Lily with its incredible plot, powerful love story, and memorable characters. I can’t wait to read the next book in this series!

Find this review and more at The Genre Minx Book Reviews
Profile Image for Deanna from Deanna's World.
780 reviews46 followers
July 25, 2017
The Red Lily is a a raw, intense and deeply sensual story which shows you what happens when little Red falls for the big bad wolf! Both Sienna and Nikolai are the quintessential embodiment of the archetypes from the fairy tale.

The Red Lily started off good, then it got better and by about halfway on, it blew me away. Many tears were shed along the way as Ms Cross had me feeling deeply for what both Sienna and Nikolai were going through and most of all, suffering.

I adored Nikolai. I had liked him when I first met him in The Black Lily as a strong, silent soldier at Marius' right hand. In The Red Lily, we see the wolf. The beast unleashed. He is raw, primal and sexy as heck. He oozes sensuality as much as he oozes danger. It's like petting a wild wolf. You simply don't know if he'll let you or if you'll get bitten. But aside from that raw, primal intensity is a sensual man who is filled with honor, heart and love. A man who is protective of those he cares about and willing to fight for a cause he doesn't entirely understand but feels he needs to stand for those underprivileged and who cannot fight for themselves.

"He’d not been called my lord for many years, not since before he’d joined the Legionnaires. As the superior species, vampires were either of noble birth and therefore lords or ladies, or they were soldiers in the Crown’s Legionnaires. Since he wasn’t in uniform, she’d assumed he was a lord, which he was. But the thought struck something dark inside him, that humans who were unfortunately born into the peasantry never had a chance of coming into their own, seen as lesser simply by their birth. In that single moment, he understood why Marius’s wife Arabelle had started the Black Lily. And for the first time, it truly hit home that there was justice in their cause."

Nikolai is everything I love about my heroes. Ms Cross has done a fantastic job of creating a man that I've completely fallen for.

While Sienna is equally strong, she also has an innocence to her. She has led a sheltered life even though she fled an unwanted marriage to a wealthy nobleman. She's independent and a little wild, with a strength and a fire that burns bright inside of her. There is a moment in the story when it seems like everything is falling apart and Sienna suffers a great deal. Those moments, my heart broke and I may or may not have cursed Ms Cross for putting my heart through the wringer for what she and Nikolai go through. There's a scene where Sienna goes through a terrible thing and it brought to mind for me what Katherine suffered in The Deepest Well. That had me shaking my fists at Ms Cross. How dare you put me through this? I was suffering alongside Sienna, as I suffered with Katherine previously. Ms Cross stomped on my heart!!

And BTW, shout out to a horrible villain. Volkov was disgusting. I was so put out by him, I think I might has metaphorically thrown up a little bit in my mouth while reading about him. I felt physically ill from my reaction to him and what he did. Horrible. Horrible.

Fantastic continuation to the Black Lily series, Ms Cross. I can't wait for the next book.

Deanna's World

See more from Deanna's World
Profile Image for Chelon.
401 reviews10 followers
September 16, 2017
Loved this story, I felt like a voyeur on a really long sexy date. Sienna took a while to grow on me, but Nikolai just love. The story was written perfectly and as it progressed I found myself wanting more. Then bam, Mrs. Cross gave more and I read through the last 25% at breakneck speed. Now I'm left waiting for more until the next book.

I was given an ARC for my honest review.
Profile Image for Kay (❦ ᴗ ❦ ✿) BooksandMe.
470 reviews7 followers
November 5, 2017

Rating:

“I have longed for you. Daily. Nightly. Desperately. I want nothing more than to have you near me.”

Once upon a time, there lived Cinderella who married a dark prince and became the Revolutionary Queen. Along her journey, she became friends with Red Riding Hood who is enshrouded by enchantment and witchcraft that she is feared through the land but is the fairest of them all.

The wolves love her and protect her, and once she steps foot outside the Silvane Forest, danger would soon follow her until all was left of her was a lifeless body, mourned by a black knight she has fallen in love with.

Lol! I know, right? I feel like Sienna is the Red Riding Hood. So full of mystery and magic in her veins. But that her story is quite different. There is quite a fairytale in her story, although something else entirely. It's what enticed me to this series actually. I feel like the characters are those that were part of childhood fairytale but their story took on a different tale and a different direction because of the magic that had affected the land.

I love Arabelle and Prince Marius but Sienna and Nikolai is on a whole new level of worship from me. Their journey to help the goal of The Black Lily resistance was filled with action and seduction and never a dull moment in my opinion that all I've been left was to devour the pages of the book because I cannot wait to know what happens next. It is neither predictable nor something that would make you think of how everything was going, but you'd be left to go with the flow and expect devastating and heartbreaking events or surprises.

“So you best prepare yourself, my lady. Since I'm already damned, I aim to have all of you. I want to see that look of ecstacy on your face over and over again when I'm buried deep inside you and you're screaming my name.”

I cannot contain the excitement when I've received a copy of this book. Sienna's character was a mystery to me ever since The Black Lily and getting to know her, reading the growth of her character and discovering her secrets was definitely exhilarating! Nikolai was Nikolai. The former lieutenant definitely showed his skills and training in fighting and other things.

This series is definitely something that makes my blood pump faster and satisfies my vamp fix and bloodlust for fighting and scheming and blood where vamps are concerned. I definitely want more from Juliette Cross and the Vampire Blood Series!

“I always thought, maybe I am the witch they proclaim me to be.

You have certainly bewitched me.”

This book can be read as a standalone. But for better understanding and grasp of the characters as well as whole plot and enjoyment of reading, it is better to read in order.
The Black Lily (Vampire Blood, #1)
The Red Lily (Vampire Blood #2)
The White Lily (Vampire Blood #3)

Check out my blog here:

Profile Image for Sandy S.
6,189 reviews152 followers
June 20, 2017
4.75 stars--

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date June 19, 2017

When Red falls for the Big Bad Vampire...

••••••••••

REVIEW: 4.75 stars-- THE RED LILY is the second installment in Juliette Cross’s adult VAMPIRE BLOOD paranormal/fantasy series (formerly known as The Tales of the Black Lily series). This is vampire and former lieutenant Nikolai, and Woman of the Wood Sienna. Sienna and Nikolai were first introduced in book one The Black Lily. Nikolai is Prince Marius’s best friend, and Sienna is the mysterious woman Arabelle befriended in the woods

Told from dual third person perspectives (Sienna and Nikolai) THE RED LILY continues the search for supporters of The Black Lily. The Black Lily is an underground movement that is attempting to take down the royal vampire family, and their army of Legionnaires who are obliterating village after village in a frenzied blood madness known as the sanguine furorem. A one-time member of the royal Legionnaires, Nikolai now sides with the Black Lily resistance, and is the current guardian of the Woman of the Wood. When a missive comes from the Black Lily herself, Sienna and Nikolai set off on a cross country trek to gather an army to fight against evil Queen Morgrid of the vampires, and her royal Legionnaires.

THE RED LILY takes the tale of Little Red Riding Hood to the next level-a fantasy of myth, magic, vampires and love. Not only has Sienna befriended a pack of magical hart-wolves in the Silvane Forest but our heroine has been imbued with magical powers of her own. Nikolai is the Big Bad Wolf who has fallen for the red-haired beauty and it is his love that will guide the couple on their journey towards a happily ever after.

THE RED LILY focuses on the trials and tribulations of amassing a system of support in the face of encroaching war. Queen Morgrid’s blood infused Legionnaires have outnumbered and overpowered every form of resistance, and the Black Lily supporters have yet to gain enough power or numbers to be of any threat against the vampire army.

Juliette Cross’s THE RED LILY is a story of romance and love; magic and evil; power and the supernatural world of the vampire lore. The premise is intriguing, imaginative and enchanting; the romance is spirited, emotional and intense; the characters are passionate and inspiring. THE RED LILY is an energetic tale with a vibrant cast of characters who will captivate your imagination when the fairy tale from your childhood takes on an aura of romance and breathless imagination.

Copy supplied for review
Profile Image for Colliding Worlds.
331 reviews28 followers
July 18, 2017
Sienna and Nikolai are one of my favorite couples of all time. There was so much tension, chemistry and love between them und I love it, that the story focuses so much on them and their growing relationship. This strong focus on the characters made Sienna und Nikolai seem very real and comprehensible. Sienna has to endure so much on her journey with Nikolai and I suffered and hoped right along with her - and was rewarded by the most amazing punchline, where she kicks ass left and right! But it felt like the story arc regarding the Black Lily und the resistance against the Vampire Monarchy was therefore a bit neglected. That's no big deal, because there are still two books to come in the Vampire Blood-series (yay!), but I hope that the love story and the fight against the tyranny will be a litte more balanced in the next novel. I can't wait!
Profile Image for Clara.
74 reviews10 followers
August 31, 2017
Ok, I gotta be honest. I liked the first book but didn't really connect with the couple. But man did Juliette step up her game with this one!! I loved the couple and the story was phenomenal! Really can't wait for the next one!
Profile Image for Bindi Boo .
578 reviews116 followers
June 5, 2019
The series continues with more mystery..
This Red Riding Hood themed paranormal romance had just the right amount of sweet, sexy and action.
Off the to the one :)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 104 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.