Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #5)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #5)

Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South

(Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics #5)

When Katara and Sokka return home to the Southern Water Tribe, they are shocked to find that it has gone from a small village to a bustling city! Malina, a Northerner, is behind the change and plans to unify the two groups, but Gilak, a Southerner, leads a fierce rebellion to stop her. In the face of these two opposing tribes, Katara will have to make peace with her nostal ...more
Published November 7th 2017 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.
Online Eccentric Librarian This is the final series that the writers did and so I'd definitely start with the first books. They follow chronologically though they are all pretty…moreThis is the final series that the writers did and so I'd definitely start with the first books. They follow chronologically though they are all pretty much stand alone.(less)

Start your review of Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #5)
Book Roast
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm so sad this is the final comic collection in the series! I have so much love for Avatar, which, I have no doubt, influenced the rating of this.
The art is, as always, stunning. STUNNING. However, I always found the water tribe focused stories a bit less interesting to me and thus found the story a bit lacking. It followed the usual path of conflict, however I did love the focus on politics (progress vs tradition) without involving religion. I thought that was brilliant. I still found the sto
April (Aprilius Maximus)
3.) The Rift ★★★★
4.) Smoke and Shadow ★★★★.5
5.) North and South ★★★★.5

-----------------------------------------------

This was so good. You can see so many parallels to the real world in this entire series and in this one especially. We have the Southern Water Tribe, who are in a transition period between the old and the new and everything that comes with it (technology, working with other nations to grow their civilisation and the struggles that some pe
Mrinmayi
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I am gonna HOPE that the next comic is better *sighs*
I was disappointed by the previous book BUT this book disappointed me, even more,

I am waiting for this comic series to regain its honor!!

And TBH I was *shocked*
I am a water bender
So obviously I was *excited* to be back with the water tribe
BUT what happened was..I got bored
Never thought AtLA could be predictable !!
If you have seen this series you might now that it has the BEST plot twist in the history of TV series
BUT this book was sooooooo pre
Ashley
This comic continues to be a great continuation of the TV show, but I really wish Aang and Katara would stop calling each other "sweetie." It makes all of my insides cringe. ...more
Juho Pohjalainen
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm seeing the trend by now: the Gaang arrives to an old place, finds a new factory or something planted in there, gets involved in a struggle between progress and tradition, the villain is always on the latter side, ends on a bittersweet note with nothing really resolved. Characters and situations change, but otherwise it's mostly the same. Taken in a vacuum, Inbalance pulled this off probably the best - while North and South was likely the worst.

Still a few good jokes, though.
Himanshu Karmacharya
The conflict between progress and tradition is the major theme explored in this book. Though, this theme is not new in Avatar Universe, Gene Luen Yang has still managed to make the book interesting, accompanied by beautiful artwork from Michael Dante DiMartino.
Michael
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
I finished these too fast and now I’m sad
milou  ☕️
I have often wondered how drastically the South Pole would have changed since Katara and Sokka left it to help Aang and this time we finally get an answer to it. Modernisation has found its way to the South Pole and Katara and Sokko are having difficulty with finding the place where they have grown up at. That paints a picture of how radically everything has changed.

It's kind of odd to me to see the South Pole resembling the architectural style of the North Pole because I had always imagined tha
Alyson Stone
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Book: Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South
Author: Gene Luen Yang
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars

This is another difficult one to rate. I did enjoy it, but I wasn’t completely wowed by it. it feels like these graphic novels have kind of fallen into the same formula. It feels like we are just writing these for the sake of keeping the world going. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still having a great time reading them, but it feels like we are losing a lot of the momentum behind them.

I really did find the f
Blake the Book Eater
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Gene Luen Yang finished off his run on the Avatar comics in high form. North and South focuses on a conflict that is explored in Korra season 2, but gets its important start here: the conflict between the Northern and Southern water tribes. This also explains how the Southern water tribe grew in the 70 years between the two shows!

More importantly however, this series gives us great characters, great conflict, and a insanely compelling story. I’m sad this was the end o
Kayla Charisse
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the A:TLA universe so, so much, and highly recommend reading the comics to those fans who haven’t picked them up yet!
rain
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
well this was a fun read as usual! i loved seeing earth king kuei and bosco once again. and of course the gaang is complete here (in part three at least) my heart overflows 😭
Amelia Oswald
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Returned to the Northern Tribe because after a little time it has become a freaking city. There is a group that is too bitter for change and think it would erase their culture so they try to sabotage. That is when the Avatar gang show up and fix it.
I enjoy this story, I think it's good to see how Katara and Sokka's tribe has been doing after the war.
Ba Crofts
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent conclusion to the comics, but I still wish there were more!
luciana
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
bitch i'm tearbending ...more
Aldi
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yay:
-Amazing art! The South Pole is always so restful for the eyes with all those soothing blues, and the architecture was beautiful.
-Team Avatar together again! (I'd missed Toph)
-The Dark One. That guy cracks me up.
-Fun action scenes. I love how well this series translates from the screen to graphic novel format.
-I liked all the industrialisation stuff, and how they handled the "you can't go home again" theme.

Nay:
-Waaayy too many "sweetie"s. This is the most ridiculous relationship ever, honest
Melanie
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
As with the previous comic, I really liked it. The plot was predictable, but it’s okay. The discussions about the Southern Water Tribe and the Northern Water Tribe were amazing and they talked about the effects of the war and the conflicts between the tribes. I would have loved to see the expansion of why the North didn’t aid the South during the war even though they were sister-tribes, so I hope in the future we get to see that. The conflict between tribes is still alive in Legend of Korra, but ...more
aidrielle
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
gilak was supposed to be the villain throughout this whole story but tbh i agree with him and his beliefs, if not his actions. i know imperialism and benevolent assimilation when i see it--the northern water tribesmen are elitists and borderline colonizers.
on another note, though, these stories just show how complex this avatar world is. it's incredible.
Janneke
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I can't get over the fact that Aang and Katara call eachother sweetie?? Why of all pet names did they chose sweetie?? ...more
natalia
this was lowkey deep and relevant to the conflicts we face in today's world... rlly enjoyed it <3 ...more
Lucas LeMaster
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For some reason, these graphic novels are the only things that I can stand to read at the moment. I need to get out of this reading funk.
I don't want them to be over! ...more
Edyta
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Seeing all the characters slowly evolving and growing up just warms my heart. I feel like a proud mother (if that even makes sense lol)
Gabrielle
This was such a great finish to this run of ATLA. And it really started to show the conflicts building to what we saw in Legend of Korra.

5 out of 5
olivia
Nov 13, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars because I lose years off my life when Katara and Aang call each other "sweetie" ...more
Samantha
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Really interesting exploration of sustainable development and paternalism.
dale ✿
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
ahh i love this crew :))
Hannah
Dec 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Didn’t enjoy this one as much but it did make me hungry 😋
Roma
Dec 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
6.5/10

Ok, so this was the weakest but it was still really enjoyable.
I'm relieved to hear that there's more Avatar content coming up in 2021
Emma
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really love this comic. It was very political but didn't really give an answer. It let the reader make its own opinions and own positions through the different point of view of the characters. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire (The Legend of Korra, #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars (The Legend of Korra, #1)
  • Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Katara and the Pirate's Silver (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #0.5)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender Imbalance Comics Book Nickelodeon Avatar
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Toph Beifong's Metalbending Academy (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender Team Avatar Tales Comics Book Nickelodeon Avatar
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender The Lost Adventures Comics Book Nickelodeon Avatar
  • The Legend of Korra: Lost Pets (Free Comic Book Day 2018)
  • The Shadow of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #2)
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy of The Fire Nation
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 1 (Imbalance, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 2 (Imbalance, #2)
  • Imbalance, Part 3 (Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, #3)
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He

Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics (6 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #4)
  • Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)