Start by marking “You Hold Me Up” as Want to Read:
You Hold Me Up

You Hold Me Up

This vibrant picture book, beautifully illustrated by celebrated artist Danielle Daniel, encourages children to show love and support for each other and to consider each other's well-being in their everyday actions.

Consultant, international speaker and award-winning author Monique Gray Smith wrote You Hold Me Up to prompt a dialogue among young people, their care providers
Published October 31st 2017 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about You Hold Me Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Hold Me Up

Danielle
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Absolutely beautiful book written in both English and Plains Cree. According to the author, the starting point was for "healing and Reconciliation" in response to the history of oppression of Indigenous people, particularly in regards to Residential Schools in Canada. The result is a project that embodies kindness, respect, and joy in relationships and communities with engaging, tender, pink-cheeked illustrations.
La Coccinelle
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
I feel bad about not being able to give this book a higher rating. The intention with which it was written was good. The text and message are fine, laudable even. So what's the problem?

I really didn't like the pictures. The very first one looked to me like the woman was side-eyeing the reader, and that was kind of the feeling I had myself as I went through the rest of it. The illustrations are very basic, and look almost like they were done by a child. Everybody's skin is blotchy, to the point w
Schizanthus
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
You Hold Me Up by Monique Gray Smith is a lovely picture book that teaches children empathy, compassion, love and the importance of supporting one another. I've read this book twice so far and the second read was as sweet and heartwarming as my first time through. Danielle Daniel's illustrations are bright, colourful and happy. I loved that the principles outlined in this book are shown clearly relating to children's interactions with not only their peers, but also adults and family.

I particular
Producervan in Cornville, AZ from New Orleans & L.A.
You Hold Me Up by Monique Gray Smith. Illustrated by Danielle Daniel. Orca Book Publishers. This book and illustrations show how simple actions support family, friends, and people in our social circles and communities in healthy ways. Highly recommend for young children. Thanks to NetGalley and Vanita Books for providing this ebook for review.
Kristy K
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read with my friend's daughter, Ava (4 1/2).

Ava's review: I thought it was too short, but I liked the pictures.

I agree with her. Cute story about loving each other, but really short.
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Beautiful book about empathy, community, solidarity, dignity and respect. The words on the main pages are short, simple, and profound, and there's also an author's note at the end about reconciliation, healing, and residential schools. The note seems more aimed at older kids and caregivers, whereas the main text could be read to very little ones.
Kate ☀️ Olson
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful picture book about supporting those around us. I plan to read it aloud to my 4K classes.

Thanks to the publisher for the review copy!
Nancy
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, netgalley
You Hold Me Up was a lovely book showing the love and respect between a First Nations community across generations. The message about dignity and caring for others is an important one to share with young readers, and was especially meaningful coming from an #ownvoices author. The illustrations were bright and eye-catching with a cherry-cheeked motif throughout. Recommended for both the message it imparts, as well as the welcome diversity.

Thank you to NetGalley for an advance copy in exchange for
Krystal
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful children's story provides Indigenous representation with a heartwarming message and vibrant images, which is particularly needed towards healing and reconciliation.
Raina
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e, not-amerika
Great ownvoices picture book. Brief text facing simple illustrations of different scenes.
Terri
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story about showing support and how important support and acceptance are for an individual.
Earl
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another Canadian import that I was super impressed with. The story is great for "how full is your bucket?" fans. It's also great to teach acts of kindness to readers who may be overwhelmed by all the bad news out in the world or are inspired by Wonder's message to choose kind!

The author's note discusses a deeper intention of why this book was written- the mistreatment of Canada's indigenous people through its implantation of residential schools.
Rogene Carter
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
An excellent book to teach young children about cooperation, friendship, and community.
Mary
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A quiet story of support and love, within families and among friends.
Alia
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Important book for discussion and healing. Lovely. Can't wait until it's a board book.
Lisa
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book does a great job of bringing awareness to the injustice brought to indigenous people in Canada. This book serves as a platform from which to launch discussions with children about history.
Educateempower
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The four words : You hold me up ring throughout this picture book, highlighting the importance of family, trust, friendship and love.

Written by two Canadian authors, this story highlights the damage done by the government to indigenous children in the past and at times, now.

A pertinent issue for many countries around the world, and as an Australian, something we need to do more about.

Children being taken from their families, never to see them again was something that happened all too often and
Ann Santori
Very simple picture book written in "the spirit of reconciliation" for wrongs done to indigenous families in Canada. None of these policies/politics are explored explicitly here . . . rather, the reader just is treated to a lovely list of ways we "hold (each other) up" by the kindnesses we share. Diversity in illustrations is much appreciated.
Jessica
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very simple. The theme is kindness together, kindness to others. I love the illustrations.
Amanda Geske
“You hold me up when you respect me.”
Tracey
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
diverse picture book (love among families and friends; preschoolers ages 2 and up)
* Prominently features diverse characters: according to the author's note, this book was inspired by and written partly for Canada's First Nations populations impacted by the Indian Residential boarding schools (in which kids as young as 5 were taken away from their families and dumped in these school with very little in the way of support, dating from the 1880s all the way to 1996). Most if not all of the people d
Linda
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*netgalley review*

The book aims to show simple love and family bounds in indigenous families. It was a nicely written short book. The drawings were fine but they could be better. I just wished it could be much longer. The pictures could have told more or what was written could have been longer. Other than that, the book was adorable and enjoyable. It can be read to kid(s) within really short time.
Shandra
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very sweet book by a Canadian/First Nations author about the ways we hold each other up as family, friend and community. The illustrations are sweet, though I'm not sure why everyone needed a circle of pink on their cheeks... Still, I think it would be a sweet storytime book, and definitely a good lap book for one on one reading.
Pam
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful book that talks about ways to respect and support each other - ways to hold each other up.
Ashley
Lovely book with very simple text about supporting and loving each other. Clear illustrations with a simple but distinct style. Could be a useful tool for talking to children about respecting each other, filling each other's buckets, having positive interactions.

Recommended for children ages 2-6, and you could probably get grade 2 and 3 classrooms to listen to it without it seeming too childish.
A Yusuf
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Lovely book, beautifully illustrated.
This is a simple book about being human. Of holding each other up, giving love, in many simple important ways, from listening when others speak, to sharing, to playing together, and singing together. Simple ideas, but for so long in Candian, amongst First Nations people this was not always possible because of residential schools.

Now, there is nothing, except a note from the author, explaining this, at the end, and this book can be read on as simple picture book level about how all children and a
Rachel
*thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.
Ok first the bad then the good. I felt that the pictures, though nicely bright and and colourful, they might have been a bit better. I feel bad for saying that but I have to stress that im NOT saying they are bad as they are far far better than anything I can do, but thats my honest thoughts. Ok so, the good. Ohh my god this was completely and utterly ADORABLE!! I loved it! It was so heart
Margaret Boling
12/13/2017 ~~ An affirmation of all the ways we can show kindness in our families, schools, and communities. Author Monique Gray Smith wrote the book "in the spirit of reconciliation" and dedicated the book to "the children, families and staff of Aboriginal Head Start programs" (from the dedication). While the illustrations feature people of the First Nations (Native Americans), the book is appropriate for all who want to start conversations about supporting each other through kindness and consi ...more
Ilana
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although aimed primarily at indigenous children and families, as a step forward towards reconciliation and national healing, this colourful book is dealing with basic human feelings of love, compassion and respect. The text is minimal, complimented by the illustrations, covering the most important interaction in family and society, based on empathy and building trust and long lasting relationships. From the perspective of multicultural communications it adds another layer of relevance and it can ...more

• When I Was Eight