Start by marking “Reasonable Doubt” as Want to Read:
Reasonable Doubt

Reasonable Doubt

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"Got a problem down here." Bloomington, Illinois, police officer Hibbens didn't sound like himself. His voice cracked. "There's something you ought to see."

The scene awaiting the other policemen as they entered the charming suburban house at 313 Carl Drive was one they would never forget. Three children and their mother lay hacked to death in their beds, their sheets and w
Published March 15th 1992 by St. Martin's True Crime Classics (first published May 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Reasonable Doubt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reasonable Doubt

Naomi Blackburn
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first came out in 1990 and have been trying to find it since then. This book was UNBELIEVABLE. Frequently, I had my mouth open while reading it. What makes this stranger than fiction, that I just found out trying to locate the name of this book, is that the murderer had his conviction overturned and relocated down to Orlando.
Rachel
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lee
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jane
Recommended to Lee by: my mom
Shelves: crime-mystery
Even though I was not born when this murder rocked the own that I current live in I truly thought this was a well written book. The writer had first hand experience in every detail of this case which makes this book all the interesting or as i like to say a page turner. I was also surprised at the amount of names that were mentioned in the book that i know from living in this town.
Although a sad situation the pictures that were used in this book also really add to the story that unfolded. Final
Fishface
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Odd little case about a totally repressed orthotics salesman who dusted his wife and kids so he could pursue other women. Major jerk. The interesting aspects of the case include the fact that he belonged to a minority religion -- the same one that spawned Johnny Haigh, FYI -- and that he may just have been a kinkoid pervo. Tantalizing ideas!
Patti Scates
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
The book is interesting, it kept my attention since I knew all of the places they were describing. The court proceedings could have been better summarized, I did not need the entire transcript. Other than that, I think the ending could have provided more information on the whereabouts of this psychopath. It is sickening he got away with this.
Ronnie Cramer
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Good, solid account of an interesting case. More trial-based than many other true-crime books. I appreciated the fact that the author waited until the epilogue before inserting himself into the narrative.
Steve
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old crime case from the 1980s, where the wife, 2 daughters and son of a orthotics maker and salesman are murdered with an ax and a kitchen knife while they sleep. Did he do it? Read it and make up your own mind.
Brandy
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
VERY well written!
April
Jul 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Just finished reading this for my book club. It was interesting, but I wish some of the trial had been summarized more...there was more detail than I needed.
Don
Aug 10, 2012 added it
Good book. I knew David was innocent from the git-go!
Teresa
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
It is a good account of the events. It is a chronological description of the events around the murder and the entire trial. It is still a good book and worth reading.
Acastro9720
Merrilee
Jul 01, 2015
Heidi
Apr 08, 2018 marked it as to-read
I'll be honest here. I haven't read the book. I've meant to for years though. rebecca was one of my classmates when she was murdered. I don't think things were ever explained to us and few of us got counseling, if it was even offered at the time.
Josie Plummer

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis