Start by marking “A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)

A Spoonful of Murder

(Murder Most Unladylike Mystery #6)

The sixth mystery from the bestselling, award-winning author of Murder Most Unladylike.

When Hazel Wong's beloved grandfather passes away, Daisy Wells is all too happy to accompany her friend (and Detective Society Vice President) to Hazel's family estate in beautiful, bustling Hong Kong.

But when they arrive they discover something they didn't expect: there's a new member o
Published February 8th 2018 by Puffin (first published January 4th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about A Spoonful of Murder, please sign up.
sienna It helps quite a bit because previous events have been referenced in it from past books and all of the characters have not been explained. However, it…moreIt helps quite a bit because previous events have been referenced in it from past books and all of the characters have not been explained. However, it is not vital that you read them but it may let you enjoy the book more (plus they are worth reading).(less)

Start your review of A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
Maddie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Gorgeous setting, great detecting and the shining light that is Hazel Wong. This is almost rivalling First Class Murder as my all time favourite!

Can this series please go on forever?
Lauren James
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ukya
I'd missed Daisy and Hazel SO MUCH. This was so well researched and intricate and I'm just SO PROUD of Robin. I want 200 more of these books ASAP, please.
Louise / Daisy May Johnson
There was a point in reading this when the back of my neck started to tingle. It's not often that happens, but when it does, it's the sort of thing you need to pay attention to. And I think you've experienced it too; that little sensation that you are reading something that is kind of superlatively wonderful, and your whole body has realised it. A literary spider sense if you will. The voice that forms afterwards and whispers: this is good.

I had that with A Spoonful Of Murder. I had it in spade
Laura Noakes
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This series just gets better and better.
Peter
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth of the Murder Most Unladylike series I've read (although not the fourth in the series - naughty!). It is possibly my favourite so far. I love the Hong Kong setting and all the meticulously researched detail that Robin has got into the story. None of that weighs down what is another great murder mystery and whodunnit. And Hazel taking the lead as the chief detective, much to Daisy's chagrin!
Swati Daftuar
Never stop writing, Robin Stevens. Never. Stop. Writing.
Mehsi
Hazel and Daisy are going to Hong Kong! And you can already guess that their visit will be much more than what they came for!

I was so exciting about this book that I just couldn't wait and bought it during my trip in London. Yay for the book coming out in the week I was going to London. It is just so much fun to buy a book in the bookstore (especially during its release week), I so wish we had some good English bookstores here with the prices as they have in England (and not double, triple or ev
Melanie
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stevens’s best mystery so far! Seeing Hazel & Daisy in Hong Kong was an absolute joy. I loved that Hazel was able to take the lead when she would normally be in Daisy’s shadow and Daisy being forced to experience the role of the ‘sidekick’. Utterly wonderful. ...more
Iona Sharma
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I had read the first in this series, Murder Most Unladylike, back in 2016, and thought it was ok but not overwhelming. The main reason I put the series down was a deep distaste for how Daisy treats Hazel. Several years and books later, I tried this one -- and it's very, very good! In this one, Hazel returns to Hong Kong with Daisy in tow to attend the mourning of her grandfather, and of course, a murder occurs. The murder mystery is compelling, but so is the setting - lovingly research 1930s Hon ...more
Linniegayl
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved the sixth entry in the series. It's an A for me, so five stars here. In this book Hazel and Daisy go far away from their English boarding school, all the way to Hong Kong. Hazel's grandfather has died, and though she will miss the funeral (travel by ship from England to Hong Kong does take awhile), she will be there to mourn with her family. And of course, Daisy goes along with Hazel.

When the two arrive at the family home Hazel has an unpleasant surprise. Her father's second w
Chloe
Another rich, exciting murder mystery in one of my favourite series. Loved the descriptions of food, dress and customs in 1930s Hong Kong, as well as the role reversal between Hazel and Daisy, which allows for some real character development for both of them. Can't wait for more!

I read this book for the Popsugar Reading Challenge 2018
Jasmine
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well now I just want to go back to Hong Kong, (fortunately with less murder and betrayal), no fair.
Prudence and the Crow
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: patc-2018

How Robin Stevens keeps these coming at such pace, and yet still with such depth, development and detail, I can't imagine, but this is a wonderful continuation of the adventures of Hazel and Daisy, and I absolutely adored it.

Hong Kong flies off the page as deftly as Deepdean and Cambridge did in the earlier novels - Hazel comes absolutely into her own in a way that shows perfectly the value of first person narration - everything about her tone and behaviour sits that much more comfortably when
Lexie
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
These books are aimed for 8-12 year olds, and since I'm now a teenager I'm not really the target market. All the same, I've been a fan of this series for a while, and really like Robin's writing, so obviously I was super excited to receive this book! This time, Hazel and Daisy are at Hazel's home in Hong Kong, which is a really interesting setting, as I've not read much set in Hong Kong, so I was excited for that! They're there as Hazel's grandfather had recently passed away, but once there Haze ...more
16kelseyl
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was so excited for this book to come out and I was not disappointed. It was another page turner and kept me guessing right till the end. I felt very connected with the characters and followed them throughout the story. I did not expect the ending but then everything started to make sense. Would recommend to everyone who loves mysteries
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
A pleasant little evening time read. It was nice for Hazel to be the one "in the know" and Daisy the one floundering around wondering what's going on. Of course it's all a bit convenient that even the nannies and kitchen help speak perfect English in 1936, but hey, it's fiction.

At the beginning the foreshadowing rattles and bangs, in the obvious "If I had only done X, things would have been so different" way--over and over. At one point Hazel makes a strange statement. First, "Like most Chinese
Zoe
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is just extraordinary. I think it's the best in the series so far, and it's stunning. Set in 1930s Hong Kong, it's (as always) a fast-paced, vividly imagined murder-mystery which is (as always) a cheerful delight to read.
It's so much more, though. I love Robin Stevens' depiction of family relationships & their emotional turbulences. I love her exploration of social structures, and the complexities of being an insider (Daisy) and and outsider (Hazel) - which are twisted upside-down in
Joyce Hertzoff
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the latest entry in the Murder Most Unladylike series, Daisy has accompanied Hazel to her home in Hong Kong. Hazel’s grandfather has died and she was called home for the mourning period. But there were several surprises for her, the biggest was that she had a brother, Teddy, and another was that her maid had been reassigned to the baby boy. When Hazel and Daisy accompany Teddy and the maid to the doctor’s office above a bank, they’re nearby when the maid is killed and Teddy kidnapped. The Det ...more
Karen Barber
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delight this latest instalment of Hazel and Daisy’s adventures was. Thank you, Robin Stevens, for the story.
This time round the girls are in Hong Kong when Hazel is called back after the death of her grandfather. As we come to expect the girls are soon caught up in another mystery when Hazel’s new brother is kidnapped.
There’s a number of suspects and the girls get to carry out some daring deeds as they investigate the crime.
What I particularly loved in this book was getting more of a sen
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this as an audio book.

Fab! LOVED that this was set in Hong Kong and how this affected the dynamics between Hazel and Daisy. Through out the series Hazel has been gaining in confidence to stand up to her 'friend' Daisy. Daisy does love Hazel, but she loves to be in charge and directing Hazel more so when Daisy is out of her comfort zone, in a foreign country, Hazel has to take charge! This added great development to their characters and the story of friendship.

It was great to hear abo
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
Mistletoe and Murder is still my favourite but this is predictably fabulous. It continues Hazel’s arc of growing independence and self confidence, and I enjoyed Daisy being the ‘fish out of water’ in Hong Kong enormously. As the crimes become more complicated and horrible I think Robin Stevens does an admirable job of maintaining the ‘pluck and spirit’ atmosphere while treating the murdered characters with respect. Roll on the next romp, which I think is coming in October.
Lisa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new Murder Most Unladylike book is always a treat & this one is no exception. The Hong Kong setting allows us to see different sides to Hazel & Daisy and I particularly enjoyed seeing Daisy so discombobulated at times! This was really Hazel's story though and the opportunity to find out more about her family & life in Hong Kong was most welcome.
Detective Society Forever!
Tammie
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Read- February 2020
- I took a little break from reading over the weekend but finishing this today has brought my reading mood right back which I'm very happy about. I am taking a small break from this series to read books for Contemporaryathon but I'm excited to get straight back into this series next week.
Lucinda Tomlinson
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a change of pace and setting as our girls head off to Hazel's home in Hong Kong and for once Daisy can't be the know-it-all she usually acts like and Hazel gets to take the lead on the case a little more - even if she is also a suspect in this one!
Izzy  Hobbs
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Daisy and Hazel and all there mysteries! I really enjoyed this book! A really well written mystery and I loved every second of it!! I definitely recommend if your into murder mystery or reading this series! Enjoy! :)
Kirsty Stanley
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favourite so far. Loved the setting.
Caolainn
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rose Arnold
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-by-myself
I liked this one because it was mostly about hazel wong
Nia
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one — possibly my second favourite after First Class Murder. I loved how Steven's has subtly changed the way she's writing Wells & Wongs as they grow older. Spunky, feminist, and very intriguing, this one is a thrilling & most enjoyable read! ...more
Alison
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-mysteries
I loved it! It was so exciting and intense especially at the end!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: have to change! 3 20 Mar 18, 2019 08:51AM

• The Case of the Drowned Pearl: A Murder Most Unladylike Mini-Mystery: World Book Day 2020
  • The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)
  • Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose: Secret Agents, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Peacock (The Sinclair's mysteries #4)
  • The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #2)
  • The Mystery of the Painted Dragon (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #3)
  • The London Eye Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #1)
  • Villains in Venice (Taylor and Rose Secret Agents 3)
  • The Whispers in the Walls (Scarlet and Ivy, #2)
  • Black Cats and Butlers (Rose Raventhorpe Investigates, #1)
  • Spies in St. Petersburg (Taylor and Rose Secret Agents, #2)
  • The Lights Under the Lake (Scarlet and Ivy #4)
  • The Dance in the Dark (Scarlet and Ivy #3)
  • The Lost Twin (Scarlet and Ivy #1)
  • The Curse in the Candlelight (Scarlet and Ivy, #5)
  • Mystery & Mayhem: Twelve Deliciously Intriguing Mysteries
  • The Last Secret (Scarlet and Ivy, #6)
  • The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly, #1)
Robin's books are: Murder Most Unladylike (Murder is Bad Manners in the USA), Arsenic for Tea (Poison is Not Polite in the USA), First Class Murder, Jolly Foul Play, Mistletoe and Murder, Cream Buns and Crime, A Spoonful of Murder, Death in the Spotlight and Top Marks for Murder. She is also the author of The Guggenheim Mystery, the sequel to Siobhan Dowd's The London Eye Mystery.

Robin was born i

Murder Most Unladylike Mystery (9 books)
  • Murder Most Unladylike (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #1)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • Death Sets Sail (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries #9)