Start by marking “Lady Sparrow” as Want to Read:
Lady Sparrow

Lady Sparrow

When young heiress Minerva Caldwell buries her elderly husband, she uncovers a disturbing secret. Now, with help from a handsome lord, she embarks on a search that will risk her life-and her heart.
ebook
Published May 19th 2004 by Signet Book (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Sparrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Sparrow

Start your review of Lady Sparrow
Rane
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rane by: willaful

I adore these old trads, with the great story their pack in such a small book, and Lady Sparrow with it's wit and charm is just plain delightful with a somewhat sad back story, but it just showcased the strength of the young heroine Minerva Caldwell, whose been used as a pawn by her father and later her husband's family- but no more when she learns about her husband's many illegitimate children that takes her own a road that could either break or heal her heart.

Along the ride is a fun hero
MRB
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of the handful of Metzgers I've devoured, this one is my very favorite. Granted, it's not unusual for me to fall in love with the less popular books by popular authors, so take my gushing with a few grains of salt :)

I gravitated towards Metzger's books because I love humor in my romances. In fact, I NEED humor in my romances, and will hastily cast aside grim, self-serious books which seem to forget that romances can contain actual joy and fun to counterbalance the usual angst :) That said,
Vintage
Lady Sparrow is a widow, thank you very much, and not displeased about it. Sold to a peer by her ambitious father, betrayed by the man she elopes with, and married to a pox ridden older Earl with a nasty nephew as heir, she would be happy to jettison the male portion of the human race. Just one problem, she's found out that her husband has left a plethora of illegitimate sons around, about six or maybe nine. Most importantly the son that she thought died at birth might be alive. Since she has a ...more
Lyuda
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darker read than the usual BM stories. Oh, there is plenty of the authors trademarks: engaging plot, humorous one-liners, charming protagonists, and, of cause, there is her usual staple: starchy but enduring butler, some droll secondary characters, mischievous shaggy mutt getting in everybodys way. But the first 15% dedicated to the heroines background was definitely disturbing and heart wrenching. Introduction of our hero shortly after, saved it from becoming all doom and gloom and brought a ...more
Ririn Aziz
Unlike most of Ms Metzger's books that I have read before, this one is slow paced and need a bit of pushing to finish it...hmmmm...
Kathleen
I LOVED this story. It's not as comedic as some of Metzger's books, but there are some droll scenes. In my view, it is not precisely dark, but it is based on some dark deeds that occured in the past, before the book began.

I loved the sexy interaction between Minerva (Lady Sparrow) and the bespectacled aristocratic detective she hires, Lord Lowell. She hires him to track down her dead husband's illegitimate children, and her own beloved child that she thought had died at birth, some years ago.

I
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew by: Christina ~ Brunette Reader

Not great Metzger - a plot with too many holes and cardboard characters for me.  But her eye for absurd little details is good, and I liked the idea of the second son of a duke becoming a detective - I think she might be on to something there.
Mela
It isn't a memorable Regency romance. Barbara Metzger isn't Georgette Heyer, but still, I really enjoyed Miss Lockharte's Letters and I liked a few other books.

The main concept in "Lady Sparrow" is interesting. But, it isn't good used. I couldn't stop thinking how Heyer would have written it. I think, that thanks to these thoughts I have more enjoyed reading. Unfortunately, Metzger wrote a simple Regency romance with a little humour.

It isn't bad but I would not recommend it, because there are
Anneceleste
The beginning was very promising. The heroine is looking for the missing children of her late husband and her own child. Unfortunately I lost interest when the first two children were introduced in the story. Neither true romance nor true mystery.
OLT
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to fellow Amazon reviewer Mountaineer for bringing this Metzger book to my attention. I've read a lot of Metzger Regencies through the years and somehow this one fell through the cracks for me and that was a shame. But better late than never!

What an admirable couple Metzger supplies as her hero and heroine. Adorable heroine Mina (Minerva) Caldwell, daughter of a rich cit shipbuilder, has been put upon all her life by men. First there was her domineering father, whom she tried to escape
Annette
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Minerva is a wealthy widow at the age of 23. She was sold by her wealthy father to an old man with a title. The marriage was short and early in the marriage she gave birth to a baby boy who died.

She accidentally finds that her late husband left many illegitimate children. She decides to find them and make them a part of her family. Since she no longer has a family she determines that she will build one.

Lord Lowell, the second son of a duke has fashioned himself into a private investigator. He
Chi
That, was absolutely lovely!

I won't rehash the blurb of the story, but I will say this: Mina (short for Minerva) was an absolutely determined, smart young woman, wanting to do right by her dead husband's illegitimate children, while Lowell was a wonderful, supportive man of hire, always by her side.

All the characters were beautifully depicted (such as Lowell's mother, his brother, Dorcas, etc etc), and it was satisfying to see everyone paired off so nicely.

I loved the knowing, sly nods that
kate
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reread and I sill love it.

AT last a heroine that is intelligent and resourceful. God bless you Minerva. The hero is the son of a duke but not a rake or a rogue. He has a work ethic. Way to go Lowell. Nice people doing a nice thing rescuing orphans. An added bonus evil villain gets his in the end. Great cast of secondary characters. Can you believe not one misunderstanding in the whole book? I'm speechless. Five stars for me means I'd read it again sometime and I will. Thanks Penny for the
Susannah Carleton
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful! After her dreadful husband's death, Minerva, Lady Sparrowdale, tries to untangle his accounts, which leads to her trying to find his bastard children (of which she was unaware), which leads to love and romance.
Amy
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sort of complicated mystery story woven rather tightly into a mostly clean historical romance. The main characters were pleasant, the villains were nasty, the ending was happy.
The main premise of the story was sort of sweet and kind of disgusting as the female main character looked for the illegitimate children of her syphillitic old geezer husband who died. The geezer was supposedly either trying to clear up his case of the pox by sleeping with as many untouched young ladies as possible or
Jerry Jares
This is a unique story because it begins with the death of Lady Sparrow's husband.  He is an unlamented earl who, with Lady Sparrow's father, forced her to marry the earl.  After he dies, Minerva finds records that her deceased husband had fathered several boys.  He had to pay for the children's' keep because he had lied and tricked the women into false marriages.  He was trying to keep the information from the newspapers and ton.  However, Minerva had no idea how to find the children.

So, she
Lou
This was a fun read. It has plenty of those little tongue-in-cheek moments and wry asides that I like about Barbara Metzger's books. It's not all fluffy braincandy, but even the more serious subjects are kept fairly light. Not so much that it glosses over them, though.
Will probably read again one day.
Kay Terrell
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction at its finest. I was captured immediately by Mina's predicament and how she was able to rise above a life with out love and kindness. Loved that her Lord Lowell wore spectacles too!
SM
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Wonderful read. Classic metzger 👍
LemontreeLime
Perfect regency read, finished it in one sitting. Humour, romance, and the most intrepid butler, ever.
Elen
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
more like 3.5, but feels like 4. i have put off reading this one, the premise didn't appeal to me - but that shouldn't have deterred me, after all, this is metzger's, and while some of her works might not be outstanding, or a heart-flutteringly romantic, she always writes those feel good books. this was no exception

1.5,18 4. Even better upon re-reading!
Monique Takens
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is exactly how a romance should be . A man and a woman falling gradually in love with each other by working en talking together . The best book by Barbara Metzger I have read so far . 5+ stars .
Jenna
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites from Ms. Metzger!
Lisa
This had some cute moments with all of the children coming out of the woodwork.
Crystal
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft-copy, 4-star
2nd, I really enjoyed this book. The two main characters Mina and Lolly were great together. The relationship was perfect.
Bark
Feb 28, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
In from PBS, thanks for the recommendation willaful.
Nenya
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
humorous (trademark BM). decent enough storyline. didn't care about the H so much (his tomcatting that is). other than that, nice fun read.
Alisha
Inach
Nov 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jun 11, 2015 10:28AM

• A Lady of True Distinction (True Gentlemen #7)
  • Frederica in Fashion (The Six Sisters, #6)
  • My Own True Duchess (True Gentlemen #5)
  • The Weaver Takes a Wife (Weaver, #1)
  • The Wedding Journey
  • The Work of Art
  • A Truly Perfect Gentleman (The True Gentlemen #6)
  • A Holiday by Gaslight
  • These Old Shades (Alastair-Audley, #1)
  • A Chance Encounter (Mainwaring, #1)
  • Egg Drop Dead (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Marrying Harriet (The School for Manners, #6)
  • Blind Date (Harlequin Temptation #1009)
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • Sugar and Iced (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #6)
  • Those Endearing Young Charms (Endearing Young Charms, #6)
  • The Discarded Duke
  • WTF: What have we done? Why did it happen? How do we take back control?
Barbara Metzger is the author of over three dozen books and a dozen novellas. She has also been an editor, a proof-reader, a greeting card verse-writer, and an artist. When not painting, writing romances or reading them, she volunteers at the local library, gardens and goes beach-combing and yard-saling.

Her novels, mostly set in Regency-era England, have won numerous awards, including the Romance