Start by marking “A New Map of Love” as Want to Read:
A New Map of Love

A New Map of Love

How can you pack for the journey of a lifetime?

George Baxter has settled for a comfortable life, content as the years unfold predictably - until Win, his wife of twenty-six years, dies.

With his loyal dog Monty by his side, George throws himself into his work as an antiques dealer. His business is at the heart of the village and all sorts pass through the doors, each person
Published April 20th 2017 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about A New Map of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New Map of Love

Start your review of A New Map of Love
Monique Mulligan
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A New Map of Love by Abi Oliver brings readers an old-fashioned life-in-an-English-village story about George, who leads a predictable but comfortable life until his wife, Win, dies. Life is suddenly a whole lot less predictable but a whole lot more exciting, especially widow Sylvia arrives on the scene with her heaving bosom and fluttering eyelashes. I enjoyed this sweet and cleverly characterised story - at one point I was telling George what I really thought about Sylvia, but he didn't listen ...more
Paula Sealey
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A gentle plot and beautiful writing with lovely observations carry this sweet story about George. Recently bereaved, he is trying to put his life back into some sort of order and along the way encounters women who are set to change his future.

I loved all the characters, conniving Shelia, heart of gold Vera, George himself and even Monty the dog! They were all portrayed so well and village life was described in such a charming way.

A lovely book to lose yourself in for a few hours.

*I received a c
Joanne
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A New Map of Love is a lovely, gentle read following George Baxter as he comes to terms with the death of his wife. They had been married for 26 years but it is only now that she has died that he realises that their marriage had perhaps become rather too comfortable. Although filled with feelings of guilt, he starts to feel that he does not want any more of his life to simply drift by. Most of all he wants to find a soulmate, a true soulmate which he feels his late wife wasn't. There certainly s ...more
Maggie BB
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, netgalley
This is a charming book, but not exactly a book for me. There was nothing I particularly disliked about it, but nothing that really grabbed me either.

This is very much a character driven book, and Abi Oliver creates a wonderful cast of varied characters. They all have such unique and full personalities - even bit characters who have very little page time come out of the page as real people and you get a immediate sense of who they are. I really like that.

The story is sweet, and real. George Ba
Karen Whittard
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is very well written. It has some flawed but humane characters that burst out of the page and feel like you know them as soon as you first meet them. It is very light and would be great for people who don’t like to read heavy books. Abi’s observations and circumstances that are written about in this book as all very well thought out and feel very down to earth and believable.

Unfortunately thou the book was just not for me. I felt it was a little hard to like George the main character.
Linda Hill
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Newly widowed George Baxter finds he is somewhat out of practice when it comes to women!

I so enjoyed this lovely book. Abi Oliver has created a world where the rhythms of life, nature and society hark back to a gentler age so that reading A New Map of Love feels like a nostalgic and wistful homecoming.

I thought the settings were wonderful. The 1960s are so well evoked through the musical references and the terrible dilemmas George has in balancing chivalry with emancipation. Vera in particular e
Bethany
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I was provided an e-arc of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. A New Map of Love is a charming story about a small-town widower connecting with his past and re-discovering love after the death of his wife. Set in 1970's rural England, George is an antiques dealer grieving the loss of his wife, and a marriage that was perhaps more practical than passionate. Now middle-aged, he works to process his conflicted feelings of grief and freedom, manage his business, re-discover ...more
Karen Mace
This was a sweet and gentle paced read following George as he tries to get on with life following the death of his wife. He sees this as an opportunity to grab life and try new adventures but when faced with choices it seems he doesn't really know what he wants and it shows him how much he misses his wife and realises how he may have taken her for granted while she was always around.

With his faithful dog, Monty, by his side there are many humorous observations to be had by the reader as you see
Jasmine
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Leeza Robertson
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I need to preface this review by saying that I do not normally read books about white middle age men. Mainly because I don't really relate to them as main characters and this book was no different. I could not get into the MC of this book. I just did not find George relatable at all. But, again, this is a personal thing. The book itself is beautifully written and the supporting cast in this book is wonderful. Kevin, Vera and in the end Elizabeth are wonderful characters. I also liked the inclusi ...more
Kim
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s February, 1964 George Baxter, proprietor of Chalk Hill Antiques, has recently lost his wife Winifred. George is a mild mannered, likable sort of man, with a lifetime of loneliness facing him every time he looks in the mirror. It isn’t that he is without friends as the cronies off his wife are determined that he not be left behind. Poor George just can’t face any of it.

He has his antique business and his basset hound, Monty. He isn’t a saint and he isn’t strong. He has been known to find sol
Shannon
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A lovely book. It’s like a lazy afternoon under the trees or a long bubble bath. It’s set in a small English village, with a mostly lovely cast of characters. While I wasn’t completely enamored with George, he was entertaining. It’s beautifully written, and the author does a good job describing the characters and setting the scenes. My biggest complaint was that on occasion it could get a bit verbose, there could be too much time spent on descriptions or even too much time spent in George’s head ...more
Elisabeth
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new map of love
By Abi Oliver

After a long and comfortable marriage to his wife Win, George Baxter has recently become a widower. Now the only companionship that he has is his loyal dog Monty, a stream of Win's well-meaning friends and his successful antiques business.
George meets local widow Sylvia Newsome and quickly becomes besotted with her and begins to see his future as very different as to what it would've been with Win. However, things never turn out the way you expect them to and meeti
Sally
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not a literal road novel, as suggested by the cover and a passage near the beginning of the book, but a metaphorical...no, I won't use the 'J-word'! I have read and enjoyed lots of the author's work under her other name. I can see why she wanted to have a fresh start for this one, as it's from a man's point of view whereas she has mainly written about women before. A very tender and 'grown-up' story about a widowed man and his struggles to find love. He finds more than he expected in the end! Ve ...more
Susan Aldridge
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I came across this book through a mention in Myslexia, a magazine for women who write that I subscribe to. Listened to on audible while walking around on a mini-break in Ambleside! It's about an antiques dealer looking for love when he becomes widowed after a less than satisfactory marriage. At first I thought this was just a bit 'quaint' and easy reading, but actually it's better than that - very well structured and a very nice portrayal of supporting characters. The background of antique furni ...more
Heidi
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
In February George runs away from the funeral of his wife of over twenty years, by November he finds himself. A New Map of Love is a character driven story about self-discovery in your fifties, loss, new beginnings, making mistakes and learning from them. I can't say that I was smitten with any of the characters, except perhaps George's dog, Monty, but I could certainly relate to them. We all have so much to learn, let's hope we use the time we have to accept who we are and become who we always ...more
Natasha Ellis
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
When I started this book I felt it was a bit twee and dated and not really for me. Found it strange that a woman was 53 yet portrayed like an old woman. As the cover was quite contemporary it took me a while to realise book was set in the 60’s/ early 70’s. I found some of the detail too much and a tad boring.

Different era I know but the amount of drink driving George does is amazing.
Whilst it wasn’t a bad book, I felt it was aimed at someone older than me (late 40’s). George was an idiot and I j
Ellen
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
An antiques dealer in a small village in England, George becomes a widower and feels a sense of starting over. Never experiencing deep passion with his wife, George is anxious to experience more. The minor characters in the book are all appealing and well described. As George meets new people, his horizons expand and his view of what a companion should be evolves. I enjoyed the story, and the quirkiness of the characters. A nice read.
Kim
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovey and interesting read. Greatly enjoyed getting to learn more about antiques through George's narrative.

Not without faults but completely enjoyable. Abi Oliver's writing really brings the character of George to life. The story is fleshed out with a whole cast of interesting characters.
Suzy Thomas
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Utterly small village England in the late 1960's - what a quaint place.

Poor old George! He has quite a time of it but muddles through. Filled with extremely staid yet lovable British characters, in what was really very changing times.

I rarely say this, however this book was a delight from start to finish.

Would thoroughly recommend, and very much look forward to more from Abi Oliver
S
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story with very believable characters and emotions. The charming setting of English village and the beautiful narrative does pure justice to this story. The story is funny and at the same time poignant and uplifting. It was an engaging read.
David Gill
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit slow at first and I might not have continued reading, but as it was a book group read I persevered and I'm glad I did as it turned out to be a delightful book, full of quirky characters and interesting turns of event.
Sophie Smith
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I loveddd this book! Such a nice summer read, lovely characters and a really great story! A really great read.
Gail
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
The storyline had some good moments - and then there were parts that dragged on just a bit too much (I mean, seriously, he couldn't see how fake she was??)
Lisa Chapmen
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a story following mr Baxter after his wife Win dies. I really enjoyed it as it is a feel good, easy to read and relax with
Charlotte
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a lovely and heart-warming read!
Anne
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Now why on earth has it taken me so long to read this book? I thought it was quite wonderful - review to follow soon...
Naomi
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good themes covered and nice easy read
Karen Whittard

Sushmita (Fervently Curious)
This was a well-written book. Unfortunately, it wasn't the book for me. This is a light read. I felt like I knew the characters, which is a good thing.

However, I did have a hard time liking George. And that's a problem because he is the MC. Mainly because I couldn't look past him cheating on his wife.

Sometimes, the story dragged on which could easily have been avoided.

Overall, it was an okay read.

• The House at the End of Hope Street
  • The Sea Beast Takes a Lover: Stories
  • Too Good To Be True (Shetland Island, #6.2)
  • The Perfectly Imperfect Woman
  • Stone Mothers
  • Dream Dark (Caster Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Daniel Isn't Talking
  • The New Me: My Journey Back From Traumatic Brain Injury
  • A Meditation on Murder (Death in Paradise #1)
  • When the Mountains Roared
  • Goodbye, Paris
  • Date with Death (The Dales Detective, #1)
  • All The Beautiful Girls