Start by marking “Love and Other Consolation Prizes” as Want to Read:
Love and Other Consolation Prizes

Love and Other Consolation Prizes

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  10,163 ratings  ·  1,764 reviews
A powerful novel about an orphan boy who is raffled off at Seattle’s 1909 World Fair, and the friends who teach him what it really means to have a family, from the author of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

Inspired by a true story, this is the unforgettable story of a young boy named Ernest, set during the 1909 Seattle world’s fair called the Alaska Yukon Pacific E
Published September 12th 2017 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Love and Other Consolation Prizes, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Heather In the year that Fahn worked as one of the upstairs girls, I believe she did have to "work" with other men. Obviously, Ernest would not have had…moreIn the year that Fahn worked as one of the upstairs girls, I believe she did have to "work" with other men. Obviously, Ernest would not have had enough money to buy all of her time. But, I think that Ernest kept his promise by reading to her at night and being there for her. He always took care of her. (less)

Angela M
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it

On one level, Jamie Ford's novels can be characterized as sweet, sad, tender love stories, where the main character is Chinese or half Chinese . If you've read anything at all about Ford, you know that his grandfather was Chinese. I love that he honors his heritage with his stories. But his stories are more than sweet love stories and tributes to his background; they are stories of substance. They reflect the history and society of the times of which he writes. Prejudice, the importance of ident
Larry H
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
"'My theory,' Maisie said, 'is that the best, worst, happiest, saddest, scariest, and most memorable moments are all connected. Those are the important times, good and bad. The rest is just filler.'"

For Ernest Young, born Yung Kun-ai in China just before the start of the 20th century, some of the worst and saddest moments in his life came at a very young age. At five years old, the illegitimate son of a white missionary and a Chinese woman, he and his mother know abject poverty, which causes his
Carol
4.5 Stars! Another engrossing and heartfelt story by Jamie Ford!

It's 1902 China when we first meet Yung Kun-ai aka Ernest Young who at age five has just witnessed an (OMG!) horrific act by his starving, destitute mother before leaving him with her only possession....a metal hairpin....to meet up with a stranger and be shipped off to America.

Aboard ship in the cargo hold, we learn the caring ways of young Ernest, witness his soft-hearted soul and see his smart-as-a-whip brain in action as it save

Diane S ☔
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year is 1909, Seattle's World Fair, and a young boy, Ernest is being auctioned off to the winning ticket holder. Used to adversity, since being given away by his mother, sent on a ship where he almost dies. Then under the patronage of the wealthy Mrs. Irvin, sent to a boarding school, where he was the but of jokes, and an outcast. Now he finds himself won by Madame Flora and taken to live in the notorious, vice ridden, Tenderloin District.

Love can be found in many unusual places, in many dif
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
*Now Available in Paperback* Great book club choice!

I just had to read this as soon as I was approved for the ARC. I read “Songs of Willow Frost” and “Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet” and really enjoyed both of them, I was hoping this book was another winner. It is!!

One of the first really good historical fiction reads of 2017, the characters that Mr. Ford creates are so well developed, they are unique and yet relatable and believable. The novel is written between dual timelines.

The fi
Karen
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful heartfelt novel based on the true story of a 12 year old boy who was raffled off as the prize at the 1909 Seattle World's Fair.
This story starts with the boys beginning, in China, his journey and arrival to America, and his growing up in a brothel where he fell in love with two different young girls.
The story takes us back and forth from 1909 to the early 1960's, from him as that young boy to a older man with adult children and how his love for these two young girls from t
Debra
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Inspired by a true story, Jamie Ford has written a wonderfully moving historical novel about a boy who is auctioned off during Seattle's 1909 World Fair. Ernest was born in China to a Chinese Mother and Western Missionary Father. His Mother, unable to care for him, sells him to a man who places him on a ship with other sold or unwanted children. Eventually he reaches American and is extremely lucky to be alive - not all children survived the trip. Through a course of events, Ernest is e
Cheri
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
!! NOW AVAILABLE !!

In 1909, Seattle was the time and place for the Alaskan-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. It brought more welcomed exposure of the area, a relatively unpopulated area still, following the 1905 Alaskan gold rush, and the 1905 Lewis and Clark Exposition in Portland. For Seattle, 1909 was a chance to have the attention of the world on their city.

“Love and Other Consolation Prizes was inspired by the true story of an infant boy who was raffled off at the 1909 Seattle World’s Fair, as
Holly  B
I really enjoyed this book that was inspired by a true story involving an orphaned half-Chinese boy. I've always been drawn to stories involving orphans and their unique perspectives on life. One of the settings is the World's Fair in Seattle and I can't resist anything involving ferris wheels and space needles!

Ernest Young clings to his mother's hairpin, the only remnant he has to remind him of his mother who has given him away. He endures a horrific boat ride to America where he finds himself
Liz
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This is another well done historical fiction by Jamie Ford. In 1962, the World's Fair is in Seattle. Earnest, in his mid 60s, is looking back on his life. His wife is suffering from a rare form of dementia. Like Ford’s other books, this one focuses on Americans of Chinese descent and employs a back and forth narrative between two different times.

Ford draws you into his story immediately. It's always a bit of a shock what was considered acceptable in the old days. Raffling off a child at the 190
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Leaving your mother at age five, going with a stranger, and living in the bowels of a boat to America was not something anyone would wish for a child but what was done back in 1909.

Yung had to leave his mother because they both were starving, and her hope was for a better life for her son.

When Yung got to America, his name was changed to Ernest, and he spent his first few years at a school where he was always the underling even though a rich woman, Mrs. Irvine, was paying for his room and board.
Margitte
My first historical fiction read for 2019 and it was a good one. Sad, compassionate, informative, gripping and based on a true story.

I wanted to read this book for so long. However, the magnificent cover told me that it was going to be a heartbreaking novel and I needed some emotional traction to kick-start the journey. It became just as heartwarming as it was heartbreaking.

Imagine a twelve year old boy being raffled off on an auction in 1909 at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. It was call
Debra
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Lori
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite of Fords novels to date! I adore stories that allow elderly characters to revisit their pasts. So many amazing events happen during lifetimes that we take it for granted to ask our elders about them. I feel confident that this novel will be a huge success. 5 stars.
Karen Kay
I received this ARC from netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

Set in the early 1900's, 12 yr old Ernest is raffled off at the fair and won by a madam. We follow him as he grows up in the infamous madam's house. He is befriended by the daughter of the madam and a Japanese kitchen servant. Their friendship is the first love that Ernest has ever known.

I loved the way Ford weaves fact with fiction. I would definitely recommend this book. Must Read.

ETA: 2nd read was as good as the 1st!
Bkwmlee
When I finished reading Jamie Ford’s newest novel Love and Other Consolation Prizes, the first words that came into my mind were “heartbreaking” and “heartwarming.” I felt both emotions strongly throughout the time I was immersed in the story of Ernest Young, an elderly man in his 60s when the story begins in 1962, and his beloved wife Gracie, who is suffering from memory loss and barely remembers who her husband is. As Ernest stands outside the gates of Seattle’s newest world’s fair, the Centur ...more
Bam
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an unusual premise for a story: an orphan boy is raffled off as the prize in a lottery at a world's fair! Good grief! And believe it or not, that actually happened at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in Seattle, WA in 1909.

In real life, the child was a one-month-old baby boy named Ernest. The winning ticket was drawn but no one ever claimed the prize and it is not known what happened to the infant.

Jamie Ford uses this amazing true occurrence as the idea for his new book. His protagonis
Dianne
This is the love story you have been looking for. Sweet, simple and enduring, this is a tale of love in all of its forms as we follow one small boy on an amazing journey through life, from his innocent beginnings in China across an ocean in the belly of a ship to his new life in the United States, where he found love, friends and family that would endure throughout the decades of his life.

Set in Seattle, and spanning over 60 years, history will come alive as Ernest and his quiet gift of love and
Stacey
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 I really liked Ford’s previous novel, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet so when I saw he had a new novel, I was very excited to read it. Plus, with the Seattle setting I couldn’t go wrong. What I like about Ford’s writing is that historical details come to life.

Ernest is sent to the United States from China for a better life. He is adopted to a well-off family, but he never really fits in. He attends the 1909 World’s Fair in Seattle. It seems impossible that a young boy could be raffle
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)

The first introduction into the book starts with Ernest’s l
Dale Harcombe
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts in 1962 with Ernest Young at the opening of the new World’s fair. He is thinking about his wife Gracie, who he has known since childhood yet these days because of her illness she barely remembers him. The narrative then flips back to 1902 where Yung Kun-ai, as he was then known, struggles with events and some short time later leaving his mother to go by ship to America. On the ship he meets other young boys and girls of mixed race parentage being shipped out. Not all of them wil ...more
☮Karen
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The story starts with Ernest Young as a small boy after his Chinese mother has sent him sailing for a better life in America, where he is auctioned off at the 1909 Seattle Exposition.* That piece of history, that such a thing really happened, is a troubling one to be sure and was one of the more interesting aspects. But this is one of those times when I felt that the concept of a story was lost in the execution of it. The pace was uneven, slow to start, better in the middle, and an ending that s ...more
Karen
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another beautifully written story by Jamie Ford. I was drawn into Ernest Young’s world immediately. After Ernest’s mother abandons him, the 12-year old is raffled off at the World’s Fair. His life takes quite a turn when the woman who ‘wins’ him, a renowned madam of a high class brothel in the redlight district, puts him to work as her brothel’s houseboy. Oh, what that boy sees, hears and learns along the way - such a great ride!

As time goes by, Ernest’s affections grow for not one, but two girl
Marialyce
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgallery-books

Thanks to NetGallery and Ballantine Books for the advanced copy of this book for an unbiased review.

Life takes you in many different directions and it is often how you take to its direction that determines the path you will follow. In Jamie Ford's new novel Love and Other Consolation Prizes, this is so evident. In it we follow the life of a young Chinese boy Ernest Young, who is transported to America, on board a ship destined to land in Seattle. Aboard the ship are other children being
Stephanie Anze
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Healthy Boy to good home for the winning ticket holder."

Ernest Young has had a tough life. He may just be twelve years old but already has suffered after being sent from China to America in the cargo zone of a ship as an infant (along with other children), then becoming a ward of the state in Washington and not have any place to call home. But in a cruel twist of fate, Ernest's life is about to take a hard hit as he learns that he is the "prize" for the raffle to take place in the 1909 Alaska Y
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Ford's debut novel Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet was one of my absolute favorite reads, not only of the year I read it but one I still think about and consider in my top reads of all time, so it was no wonder how crazy excited I got when I saw he had another release coming out and in the same vein as his first. I don't think I've ever hit a request button so quickly as I did for it. In fact I stalked Netgalley until it was available because I just couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I ...more
Tina Woodbury
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
For all of my reviews: www.readingbetweenthepagesblog.wordpr...

This book is sad at times, but also very heartfelt and inspirational. It is based on a true story, which is one of my favorite types of books to read.

Juju finds a newspaper clipping from The Kennewick Courier.

Seattle – A boy, the charge of the Washington Children’s Home Society, was one of the prizes offered at the exposition. His name is Ernest and maybe he will have a surname if the winner, holding the proper ticket, comes to claim
Laurie Reilly
Historical Fiction at Its Absolute Best

Some authors are great storytellers. Some can skillfully transport you to a time and place in history. Jamie Ford does both in Love and Other Consolation Prizes. His research is impeccable. The backdrop of his tale is the 1909 World's Fair in Seattle, Washington. He describes many specific attractions at the fair - hot air balloon rides, babies in incubators, and the controversial queen of the fair who was (gasp!) of Inuit descent. He draws a picture of 190
Diana
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-stars
Jamie Ford has done it again. I remember after finishing Hotel on the Corner or Bitter and Sweet how it lingered in my mind long after I finished it. Love and Other Consolation Prizes has had the same effect on me.

Ford finds interesting points in history to weave into his fiction in such a way that I am glued to the pages. His “then and now” method of storytelling only reels me in even further. Beautiful writing and memorable read.
Joy D
Highly recommended! Poignant, subtle, philosophical story by an author who knows how to immerse the reader in a time and place.

The storyline follows the life of Ernest Young. Born in China, he is sent to America as a child by his starving mother to save his life. He survives the brutal trip when others do not and is taken into a children’s home as a ward of the state. His education is sponsored by a wealthy Seattle matron. When he expresses a desire to expand his horizons beyond the school, whe
Jamie Ford’s debut novel, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, spent two years on the New York Times bestseller list and went on to win the 2010 Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature. Jamie’s work has been published in 34 languages. Also, because Jamie feels weird writing about himself in the 3rd person, he’s going to say…

Hi, this is me.

Not a publicist. Not some weird aggregated bit of
“There are people in our lives whom we love, and lose, and forever long for. They orbit our hearts like Halley's Comet, crossing into our universe only once, or if we're lucky, twice in a lifetime. And when they do, they affect our gravity.” 6 likes
“We all have things we don’t talk about, Ernest thought. Even though, more often than not, those are the things that make us who we are.” 4 likes