Start by marking “"Teeny": Professional Wrestling's Grand Dame” as Want to Read:
"Teeny": Professional Wrestling's Grand Dame

"Teeny": Professional Wrestling's Grand Dame

Rule #1: Be on time.
Rule #2: No foul language.
Rule #3: Stay away from the "arena rats."
Rule #4: NEVER break kayfabe.

Virtually every big name in wrestling in the second half of the 20th Century crossed paths with "Ms. Christine," as she was known to most. If they followed her rules, Christine "Teeny" Jarrett probably taught them a thing or two about staying out of
Published February 21st 2017

To ask other readers questions about "Teeny", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "Teeny"

Start your review of "Teeny": Professional Wrestling's Grand Dame
Andrew M Walsh
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Terrific story of the beginnings one of wrestling's greatest territories

Much has been written about Memphis wrestling over the years, but nearly all take place after 1980. This seems very well researched, I particularly enjoyed the detailed stories of Gulas & Welch. The highlight of the book for me, was the chapter of the much maligned 'high flier', second generation superstar George Gulas. Kudos to the author for spinning a wonderful tribute to his grandmother "Teenie". Well, well worth the
Jay Dougherty
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-2017
I heard this author talk about the book on the 6:05 Super Podcast. When he revealed that the book was written as a fictional biography, I was skeptical. I was wrong. This book is extremely well written, and the characters (including Teeny) all have distinct voices. Not only is it well written, but you will learn a lot about the history of the Memphis wrestling territory. Highly recommended.
Amanda Crumley
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
It was an awesome brilliant read that tugged at my heart strings !!! Love everything about this book , thank you .
Lucas
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I grew up watching wrestling so I was very excited to win a book that would shed some light on the time before the WWE (WWF). What I wasn't ready for was a life story about a woman who built a family foundation on the sport that would span some 50+ years.

You don't need to be a wrestling fan to enjoy this book, but I do think it helps.
Joseph Carano
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Won the book in a Goodreads giveaway. Very interesting book about the wrestling business and about the Jarrett family in particular. Has quite a few behind the scene stories as well as an insider's view of the business. If you like pro wrestling, this is a must read.
carla clifton
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from goodreads. If you're interested in wrestling or not this is a great book. In a world were men domaite it's nice to see a strong female present.
Robin
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who watches wrestling should read this book. Very interesting.
Robert W. Meyerholtz
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Teeny, Giant n the Wrestling World

Brannon Martin pens a biography of his grandmother, Christina "Teeny" Jarrett in great detail. Teeny for him was a loving and strong willed matriarch to both her traditional family as well as extended wrestling family. As an avid wrestling fan and very interested in the history of the sport, I was astonished to have not heard of her. She certainly needs to be both remembered and honored for her accomplishments. Not only was "The Grand Dame" told from her humble
Jason Presley
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wrestling
When I first learned about this book and saw it listed as an "historical novel", I wasn't entirely sure what that meant. Now, after having read it, and tremendously enjoyed it, I understand what that meant. While it is mostly historically accurate, in order to make it more of a story, Martin embellished a little here, added a scene there and generally made Christine Jarrett's story perhaps a little more engaging and readable than had it been a simple biography.

As with most wrestling stories, not
charles warburton
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful bio of one of the most important women in wrestling

What a great tribute to Christine Jarrett. I didn’t even know the author was her grandson but it lent a special touch.

The book goes into great detail about her life and her career working for Nick Gulas and later her son Jerry Jarrett.

Some minor dates and timelines are off in the latter part of the book but it doesn’t hurt the book whatsoever.
Jacob Bembry
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good Wrestling History

The story of Christine Jarrett, mother of Jerry and grandmother of Jeff. It offers a glimpse into the inner workings of pro wrestling in its regional territory days.
Adam
Mar 25, 2018
Michael
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, biography
Very informative and entertaining. Loved watching wrestling with my father in the 60's. This brings back fun memories of many of the stars back then. Teeny was an incredible woman and had such great principles. Wish I had her teach me financial principals when I was young. The wrestlers was so fortunate to have her guidance and discipline. A great look at these times of the sport.
Luke Faith
Jun 05, 2017
Midge
Apr 21, 2017

• The Last Gangster
  • Sumo's Strongest Men: Their Lives, Their Words (2nd Edition)
  • Why You Should Read Children's Books, Even Though You Are So Old and Wise
  • Self Help: Life Lessons from the Bizarre Wrestling Career of Al Snow
  • A 1980s Childhood: From He-Man to Shell Suits
  • A 1990s Childhood: From Bum Bags to Tamagotchis
  • I Never Said I Loved You
  • Bluegrass Brawlers: The Story of Professional Wrestling in Louisville
  • Backlash (Scott Harvath, #19)
  • My Last Supper: One Meal, a Lifetime in the Making
  • Use of Force (Scot Harvath #17)
  • Foreign Agent (Scot Harvath #16)
  • Blackout: A Pete Fernandez Mystery
  • The Wall
  • Vegas and the Mob
  • Short Stories from Hogwarts of Power, Politics and Pesky Poltergeists (Pottermore Presents, #2)
  • Hogwarts: An Incomplete and Unreliable Guide (Pottermore Presents, #3)
  • Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble