Start by marking “Higher Is Waiting” as Want to Read:
Higher Is Waiting

Higher Is Waiting

Beginning with his earliest memories of growing up a shy boy in New Orleans, Perry recalls the moments of grace and beauty in a childhood marked
Audio CD
Published November 14th 2017 by Books on Tape (first published 2017)

Start your review of Higher Is Waiting
Patrice Hoffman
I was stuck between giving Tyler Perry's Higher Is Waiting a 3-star rating but I took a breath, listened to what I think he's referring to as the voice of God and had to be honest with my heart and self and give it a 4-star rating. I tend to rate books on emotion rather than what Book-snobs might because the world is full of authors. Some share amazing stories that stay with us until we die, encased in the perfect prose, while introducing us to remarkable characters who we long to share a beer w ...more
Myrna
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
In the inspirational book Higher Is Waiting, Perry shares personal stories and details of his faith. He shows one in despair can prevail.
Patty
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a treat! I love this book and would highly recommend it to everyone. I took notes and have listed them below:

Love this..."Sometimes in life, son, when you pray and you've said and done all you can, then all you have to do is stand and wait, and listen. Just stand". That is what Mr. Butler, the blind man he helped cross the street one day, told young Tyler.

When she, meaning Tyler's mom Maxine, went to her aunts asking for help and advice, one of them told her, "He's a good man (referring to
Abbi
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"We all have gifts given to us by God. Look for yours."

A friend of mine gifted me this book for Christmas and I'm so glad that she did. I enjoyed Higher Is Waiting way more than I thought I would. I love the mini essays Tyler Perry wrote to tell his story. The book is really encouraging and will remain on my nightstand, so that I can periodically re-read some of his essays. If you identify as a Christian, I believe that you'll appreciate Tyler's story and the lessons he's learned on his journey
Lorilin
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, arc
I've always been a little obsessed with Tyler Perry. I've never seen his plays (which is how he got his start), but I love his movies. They can get cheesy at times, sure, but Perry has a knack for telling a relatable, funny, and insightful story. He's entertaining (and Oprah seems to love him), so I've always been interested to know more about his story.

Higher Is Waiting is mostly a memoir, but also somewhat of a Bible study-type devotional. The book is divided into a bunch of little chapters wh
T. Renee
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book took me back to Sunday School when I was ten. Loved that aspect of it. All in all it was really a great read the only negative is that I wasn't completely captivated, it was a book a felt needed to be read in stages rather than all the way through at once. Stand out moment for me in this book was how you could feel TP's excitement and joy in the description he gave of visiting his Aunt Mae, a woman without riches, a fancy house, or anything worth real worldly value. But I love the sinc ...more
Debbie Lockledge
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not having seen any of Tyler Perry's movies, I saw an interview with him about this book & was intrigued. It was an amazing read, very inspirational with an amazing amount of his personal history included. Throughout the book, I felt more and more like I knew him and members of his family whose stories he shared. I strongly recommend this book. ...more
Judy D Collins
From the hilarious creation of Madea, Perry delivers an inspiring memoir and words of encouragement in HIGHER IS WAITING —with a combination of his own unique blend of spiritual hope and southern humor over a ten-year period of his personal journals. Top Memoir of 2017.

From the multi-talented author, writer, actor, director, comedian, producer, filmmaker, playwright, songwriter, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, Tyler Perry is the mastermind behind nineteen theatrically released feature fil
Janet
From the publisher - Higher Is Waiting is a spiritual guidebook, a collection of teachings culled from the experiences of a lifetime, meant to inspire readers to climb higher in their own lives and pull themselves up to a better, more fulfilling place. In this gem of a book, Tyler Perry writes of how his faith has sustained him in hard times, centered him in good times, and enriched his life.

Ely Nuku
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favourite quotes

“Sometimes in life, son, when you pray and you’ve said and done all you can, then all you have to do is stand and wait, and listen. Just stand.”

“And after you’ve done everything you need to do and it seems as if the world isn’t stepping up to meet you, what do you do? Stand. Listen. Wait patiently. Keep waiting. And ask yourself, “Have I ever offered someone my shoulder?”

“I learned to be careful about sharing my dreams. I found out there unfortunate souls who I came to think of
Jenn
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny, poignant, uplifting and eye-opening. Part autobiography, part lesson on introspection, Tyler Perry's book is one of the best books I've ever read (or listened) to. His anecdotes, inspirational Bible quotes and suggestions for making the world a better place one small act at a time were perfectly blended into a book I couldn't wait to finish.
Rita
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Some good parts -- similar to others I've read like this -- more like a devotional -- I like more indepth autobiography reads for nonfiction. Did remind me (& I have shared it with others) to get out of the guilt trip of the past -- don't face the back of your driver's seat, but face forward and move on. ...more
Chad Brady
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I got this book for Christmas, knew nothing about it other than it was written by Tyler Perry. I started reading it with a skeptical mind, just an autobiography from someone I only tangentially cared for. Wow, was I wrong!!! A phenomenal book filled with short stories of life lessons and faith! Many things included really made me think about some things in life.. highly recommend!!!
AfroLit
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a short Audio book and so very inspiring. If you have received his emails and loved how uplifting they can be to your day this book is exactly the same. The Biblical scriptures anchor and provide comfort to his messages. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dorothy
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I feel like I know more about Tyler Perry after reading this book. This book is very inspiring. It will motivate those that feel like they just can't make it, that their day will come soon "if" they believe and put forth the effort! :)
Vanessa
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good chapters that can be used as devotions. Each talks about how to live a better life includes scripture to show what to do. Glad I got to know Tyler Perry's life stories.

This was a book club group for me and Tracy.
Darlene Meyers
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Great inspiration and insight by Tyler Perry. Words of wisdom and encouragement for all who read it!
Jimilee Allen
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pleasant book on life and battles that can really shape you. But inspirational and goes to show you that as long as you keep fighting for your life and what you want anything is possible .
Margaret
I really appreciate the author's life story and spiritual experience, my attention was engaged to the very end. His perspective and wisdom is the heart and soul of this fantastic book.
Mediaman
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm unsure what readers are giving this book four or five stars, but they must have very low standards or low expectations of the author. This simplistic "inspirational" book is 48 tiny chapters that are basically Perry's random thoughts on life that include few practical applications. There are a couple very minor personal stories included but they are so vague that I learned almost nothing new about Perry.

Most of the points he makes are things you've heard before and sound like a 13-year-old'
Shannon
Higher is Waiting

I Picked Up This Book Because: I like Tyler Perry. I am endlessly curious about the life journeys of others so why not read this.

Part memoir, part inspiration, part spiritual study guide. Tyler shares his story largely using the metaphor of a tree. He speaks of his roots, his branches and leaves. He speaks of his tough life growing, his close relationship with his mother and Aunt Mae. He seeks to tell these stories not solely for entertainment but so others can
Lori
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a lucky goodreads giveaway winner of "Higher is Waiting" by Tyler Perry. Tyler Perry shares his life experiences to write of his beliefs in God and how his faith has guided him through life. He is honest about the ups and downs he has experienced and how his faith in God helped him. He breaks his book into four sections. "Planting the seeds" "Nourishing the roots" "Branching out" and "Harvesting the roots" He shares some of his favorite bible quotes and has some questions at the end of eac ...more
KnowledgeSpecter
One of the better books I’ve read on personal development and success. What I particularly liked about this book where the small but personal chapters that each had a lesson in them. The book also followed the theme of a tree, from its roots to the blossoming and I really liked his descriptive nature in the books.
Dee Dee G
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are spiritual, you will probably like this a lot. Unfortunately I could relate a lot to his childhood and became an angry adult until I worked on me. If had read this in my early twenties I probably would’ve put this book back. Now at 45 I understand it.
Emily
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a mix of autobiography, self help and religion. I liked the way Tyler Perry tells his tale. Each chapter is short and the book doesn't take very long to read. Its a short book that made me long for more. I wish there were more books like it. Tyler has a lot to tell and hopefully this will not be the end of his writing of books. If you like any of Tyler Perry's tv shows, plays, or movies then read this book. You will be glad you did!
Nathalie
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
Blah.
Sheila Healy
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
writing an auto biography, then paying someone else to read, just doesn't work.
Tracy Sereti
Sep 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I love Tyler. It's a nice book. Easy and short read.
I, however, felt like he was not as candid and raw as I expected. My expectations were up there considering the type of a film writer he is. It's like he only handpicked parts of his life that resonated with the Christian teaching that he was trying to put across and that doesn't sound so real.
Leandra
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I was gifted this book as a going away present. The book is sooo sweet, simple and inspiring. Tyler Perry tells his life story in small vignettes of how God saw him through his pain, struggles and dreams. I love that he never gave up - 7 years for his first play!! That is inspiration in itself. At the end of each chapter - there are 48, he give an introspective question, a bible verse and an affirmation. I would consider this a devotional to read with a partner or a bible study. It was refreshin ...more
Jara
Jul 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Only true, mature Christians can discern that Tyler Perry is a very high-level "Balaam". He went from New Orleans to Atlanta (attracted to "Freaknik" and the rich, religious blacks!) to conquering Hollywood (epicenters of religious witchcraft), preaching a false Jesus and a false gospel with a false prophet spirit. If you are a fan of his work and believe that you're Christian, then consider this a warning about your salvation. Double-check your relationship with Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

JESUS:

• Hurricanes: A Memoir
  • If Someone Says "You Complete Me," Run!: Whoopi's Big Book of Relationships
  • Let Love Have the Last Word
  • I Am Number 8: Overlooked and Undervalued, but Not Forgotten by God
  • Living in Color: What's Funny about Me: Stories from in Living Color, Pop Culture, and the Stand-Up Comedy Scene of the 80s & 90s
  • The Wait: A Powerful Practice for Finding the Love of Your Life and the Life You Love
  • Destiny: Step into Your Purpose
  • The Selected Poems, 1968-1995
  • All Things Are Working for Your Good
  • Unsuccessful Thug: One Comedian's Journey from Naptown to Tinseltown
  • Black Privilege: Opportunity Comes to Those Who Create It
  • "From the Mind of Madea": The Biography of Tyler Perry
  • Crushing: God Turns Pressure into Power
Tyler Perry is an American playwright, actor and film director. His best-known character is Mabel Simmons, more commonly known as "Madea," an overbearing but well-intentioned woman who serves both as comic relief and as the loud voice of conscience to the protagonists of Perry's plays.

News & Interviews

“Root People may be hard to find because they’re not trying to be seen. They do their work underground. But quietly and without fanfare, they provide help and support and nourishment. They are happy when I thrive.” 3 likes