Start by marking “Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)” as Want to Read:
Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)

Our Dark Duet

(Monsters of Verity #2)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  25,761 ratings  ·  5,385 reviews
Kate Harker is a girl who hunts monsters. And she's good at it. August Flynn is a monster who can never be human. Nearly six months after Kate and August were first thrown together, the war between the monsters and the humans is a terrifying reality. In Verity, August has become the leader he never wished to be, and in Prosperity, Kate has become the ruthless hunter she kn ...more
Published June 13th 2017 by Titan Books

·  25,761 ratings  ·  5,385 reviews

Emily May
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because she knew a secret: there were two kinds of monsters, the kind that hunted the streets and the kind that lived in your head. She could fight the first, but the second was more dangerous. It was always, always, always a step ahead.

Oh shiiiiit. Schwab was not playing nice with our feelings when she wrote this book. I suspect she might be a bit evil, but, you know, in a good way.

Our Dark Duet picks up several months after the events of This Savage Song. August is busy fulfilling his monstr
Victoria Schwab
Apr 13, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Now that this book is written and edited and out in 2 months, I guess it's time to finally mark it as read <3
Hannah
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I WILL NEVER RECOVER
emi
Funny, she thought, that even monsters had fragile hearts.

10382950/5 stars

RIP EMI, 1998-2017

I'm so dead.

Victoria Schwab has killed me one too many times that I'm all out of lives.

I just can't.

The fact that this series is only two books and I'll never get to see my children again makes me so mad. I'm currently saving up for a lawyer so I can sue Victoria for emotional distress.

Also sorry, this review is a complete mess, much like myself right now. I've been trying to write it for three
Elise (TheBookishActress)
this was the most incredibly disappointing thing I have read in my life, I feel like I need to climb into a hole and cry and hide from my followers

Okay. You really want to hear it? Because I have thoughts.

First of all, I was not invested in the plot like, at all, and it is due to a fundamental structural flaw. In a series that is structured with each book playing into the next, as this one is, a good second book should be about the fallout of book one. But here, while the repurcussions of book o
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I loved this book so much but it damn well broke my heart. I'm almost at a loss for words. =(

The thing is, I had this documentary on low that I had watched before on Netflix and it has this really deep music on it. So, here I am reading through the book with this music and it's so perfect and the things that broke my heart with that music playing made it ten fold.

I need something fluffy and goofy to read now.

Victoria Schwab knows how to write a damn good book and they can get right under your
Kai
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"All monsters were not created equal."

4.5 Stars

This was so good. Much better than the first book. If you've read my review of This Savage Song you might know that I only rated it three stars. I struggled with the characters - especially Kate - and the predictability. Overall it just wasn't as spectacular as Schwab's previous novels. This one, however, was a huge improvement.

Where do I start? The plot was much more exciting and fast-paced. The characters felt more real and were more relatable, be
C.G. Drews
THIS BOOK LIVES TO TORTURE US. THAT'S ALL I CAN SAY. No wait. I also want to say: it was absolutely gorgeously darkly bloodily brilliant and I'm so so pleased. Also devastated. ALSO PLEASED. Part of me knew how it'd end, though, and I was right and I'm currently c r y i n g ... but it was good. It was a good and perfect book.

I don't want calm feelings anyway.

I also don't want this to be over because August and Kate are two very very very precious characters to me. And everything about this serie
amy ☂︎
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddy-read, 2017
fun fact: victoria schwab herself liked my pre-review, which looked somewhat like this:

____________

see you in hell, victoria

honestly i'm mainly mad at myself for not being prepared for the abysmal pain and endless suffering schwab's books tend to bring upon me, like @ past me why you always do this to yourself??? STAY WOKE BITCH

[something about me crying into my pillow]

satan is a woman and her name is victoria schwab

____________

so basically the ONE TIME my favorite author notices me is when i
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

“There were two kinds of monsters, the kind that hunted the streets and the kind that lived in your head.”

Look, no one is more disappointed by my rating than me. I adored the the first book! Everyone promised this was even better! I started reading as soon as my copy arrived, so excited!

description

(Did I read the same book as everyone else???)

Before you throw things at me, let me explain the problems I had.

Starting with the abysmal inconsistent pacing. This book is over 500 pages, and somehow no
Warda
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-fell-in-love
EDIT: so I've been thinking I'm willing to put myself through this numbing agony again because I miss my sweet child, August, like crazy. Probably not wise though... *sigh*

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I am numb again. My soul is not okay. Schwab has a way of making me feel numb with the ending of her books.

Ugh, I don't know how to review this. Fuck you, Schwab. You've left me completely devoid of feeling any emotion.

One thing I will mention though is the interesting take on what killing human beings can do t
Frankie Lovely
5 stars!

::UPDATE JULY 14, 2017::

IM STILL NOT FUCKING OVER IT! OMG!
KILL ME NOW I'M IN TOO MUCH PAIN!

(view spoiler)

::JULY 10, 2017::
I
AM
WRECKED
jessica
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
iiiim baaack!! i loved my soft little monster, august, way too much to stay away. <3

on a different note, i didnt think this was as good as the first book (only in the slightest). i still enjoyed it, but it felt a bit more dense than necessary. i definitely think this could have been shortened without compromising the story, but i didnt mind too much because of VSs writing. as with the first book, the writing was the highlight for me. malchai uprising? meh. new monster on the loose? its whatev
Teodora
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Taking another ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ from dear old Ilsa, bless her

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

„What happens when the effect kills the cause?”

I will confess: I am furious.
Furious of V.E. Schwab having such a great sense of writing and such an awesome imagination and such a cool touch to the narrative facts. Like, how dare you, V.E.?

Moving on, even though I am still not over you, Ms Schwab, this second book of the duology was slightly better than the first one, This Savage Song. I say slightly
may ❀
~ after 45.4 years, full review finally posted ~

At least once in your life, you will get the opportunity to have your heart, soul, and essence smashed and ground into smithereens by some words on pieces of paper. :) Cherish this feeling :) It’s a wonderful, monumental moment of your life. :) No regrets. :)

description

I want Victoria Schwab to wake up every morning knowing that I really really really DISLIKE her !!! hate is a strong word I TRUSTED her with my being and SHE FRICKEN PUNCHED ME IN THE THROAT ~m
April
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It wasn't easy. The world was
complicated. Life was hard. And so often, living hurt. So make it worth the pain." //

I think I died a little inside. I loved it so much yet hate that it's all over now. 🙁
sofia (sam willows)
6 out of 5 stars. All spoilers are marked.

holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit

THIS IS A FUCKING MASTERPIECE

how fucking dare you, miss victoria schwab. how fucking dare you play with my emotions like that.

*sighs*
*cries*
*screams*
*wipes tear*
*gets self back together*
okay, okay, I'm done ranting. Actually, I'll never be done. This book has skyrocketed its way into the second place my favorites list (let's be real, the first will always be Vicious) and I can't stop thinking about it.

honestly, how can so
Larry H
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

You know when you want to absolutely devour a book, but it's the last book in a series you love, so you're torn between reading it in practically one sitting and savoring it for as long as you can? That's the way I felt about Victoria Schwab's Our Dark Duet, the second and apparently final book in Schwab's Monsters of Verity series. (The first book, This Savage Song, was pretty fantastic, too. See my original review.)

"There were two kinds of monsters, the kind that hunted the streets and the ki
emma
a monster book has no right to be this boring.

and no book has the right to have so many errors.

review to come / 1.5 stars

--------------

so maybe i haven't liked a single VE Schwab book but god forbid that stop me from trying

(this'll definitely go well)
Simona Bartolotta
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
“So often, living hurt.”

3.5 maybe? Something between that and 4 stars, anyway.

•I must admit, I didn't remember much from This Savage Song. It was easy to brush everything up once I got started, but the first pages had me a little lost. And then something strange happened: my difficulty to get in sync with the story remained, only its cause shifted from my temporary lack of basic information to something that I'm still not really able to pinpoint with precision, but that is most definitely intern
Candace Robinson
Book one is still my fave, but I really liked this one! It took me a while to get into this book since Kate and August were separated for so long. Kate's snark was the best, and that ending was so good!!!! Full review on my blog https://literarydust.wordpress.com/20...
Chelsea Humphrey
I’m not sure why, but I didn’t seem to love this quite as much as everyone else. It was good, but maybe my expectations were too high for an over the top ending. I do think I did myself a disservice by listening to the audio instead of reading the print copy, as the many similar scenes seemed to run together in my head. I did think the resolution with a few of the characters was really well done, and of course the writing was beautiful because it’s Victoria-Freaking-Schwab. A unique story that I ...more
Sana
95% of the book: *dies of feelsfeelsallthefeels but pretty sure that since haven't really cried yet then probably not going to*
Last 5% of the book: *cries nonstop*

COULDN'T HAVE ENDED BETTER, REALLY. Like just all the things that this series is about always guts me and this book definitely intensified that by a lot, a lot
Heather
This book was amazing!!
If I am honest with you, I wasn't expecting it to be. I read This Savage Song last year and while I really enjoyed it, I just didn't love it so when this book came along I was expecting those same feelings.
I am so happy to be proved wrong. I loved the second book! It was easier to get back into the world of Verity and the monsters in them because you already know them.
This book isn't happy. It's a dark, gritty book about monsters and fighting and wrong vs. right but my go
mith
I won't be reviewing this but I did want to leave a small thought or two.
The book wasn't bad--it was a grey finale and I think if you liked This Savage Song, you'll like this one too. The reason it fell a little from my expectations is that it felt a bit slow at times? The book is over 500 pages and it feels like it. Somewhere around the middle, I wasn't eagerly awaiting what was going to happen next; I just wanted things to pick up the pace.
This, however, is probably just a me thing, so don't
Kimi
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book the other day but I forgot to update you guys because I was ... you know... sobbing.
Misstdennis
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
5000/5 stars
Obviously...

“Mourning was its own kind of music—the sound of so many hearts, of so many breaths, of so many standing together.”

Hey Victoria Schwab, is it okay if I refer you as Sloan for now on? That's okay? Cool.
You sadistic human being...

9 hours it took me to read this book. And in 9 hours, I didn't breath, eat, drink or feel my heart beating.
Not once.

That book was just something else. I'm legitimately struggling for words because I'm trying to hold myself together, but I'm failing
Romie
well, isn't that an unexpected amount of pain
Maria
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Am I actually supposed to carry on with my life after what I just read?
I hope my soul tasted delicious, @Schwab, and you didn’t choke on it !

I can’t. stop. thinking. about. this. series. If I don’t find out what happens next and how it all ends right now I might cry. Love is pain.
Nasom
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, fantasy
“People were messy. They were defined not only by what they’d done, but by what they would have done, under different circumstances…”

That was one dark, intense book. So much better than the first and what an ending 😭.

I’m going to miss my soft, violin playing, monster 💕
description

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Mage of Trelian
  • Blood for Blood (Wolf By Wolf, #2)
  • Ride On
  • ヴァニタスの手記 3 [Vanitas no Carte 3] (The Case Study of Vanitas, #3)
  • The Planet Thieves (The Planet Thieves, #1)
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
  • The Song Rising (The Bone Season, #3)
  • Untitled (Threads of Power, #3)
  • Krait's Redemption (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #5)
  • Runaways #1
  • The Demon's Surrender
  • Their Fractured Light (Starbound, #3)
  • 六花の勇者 (Rokka no Yuusha, #1)
  • Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2)
  • The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic (Grishaverse, #0.5 & 2.5 & 2.6)
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Burn (The Rephaim, #4)
Victoria is the product of a British mother, a Beverly Hills father, and a southern upbringing. Because of this, she has been known to say "tom-ah-toes," "like," and "y'all."

She also tells stories.

She loves fairy tales, and folklore, and stories that make her wonder if the world is really as it seems.

Monsters of Verity (2 books)
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
“People were messy. They were defined not only by what they'd done, but by what they would have done, under different circumstances, molded as much by their regrets as their actions, choices they stood by and those they wished they could undo. Of course, there was no going back - time only moved forward - but people could change.

For worse.

And for better.

It wasn't easy. The world was complicated. Life was hard. And so often, living hurt.

So make it worth the pain.”
269 likes
“There were two kinds of monsters, the kind that hunted the streets and the kind that lived in your head. She could fight the first, but the second was more dangerous. It was always, always, always a step ahead.” 212 likes