Start by marking “Jane” as Want to Read:
Jane

Jane

A reimagining of Charlotte Brontë’s classic novel Jane Eyre set in present day, written by acclaimed screenwriter Aline Brosh McKenna and Eisner Award-winning illustrator Ramón K. Pérez.

Growing up in a broken home in a small fishing town, Jane dreamed of escaping to art school and following the allure of New York City. When that dream becomes a reality however, it’s not
Published September 19th 2017 by Archaia

To ask other readers questions about Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane

Start your review of Jane
Lola
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics

Well, I had high, high hopes for this book. The comic itself is exquisite. I keep holding it in my hands because it really looks so precious and the art inside is very interesting.

But the story lacks. And it’s not because classics cannot translate into the modern world. One need only read THE SECRET DIARY OF LIZZIE BENNET to be proved wrong. Therein does not lay the problem.

First, Jane herself. Note her beauty: she is skinny, blonde, green-eyed, full lips, not one flaw… Of course no one in
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
This was kinda fun? I liked the art style and I loved Jane and Adele's relationship, but the ending? ummmmmm wtf
Caitlin
Sep 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I say this as someone who loves fanfiction: this reads like a self-insert Jane Eyre modern AU written by a 16 year old infatuated with Rochester. Discovering that McKenna originally titled the book "Rochester" and reading several interviews where she never mentions the titular character at all makes it clear she was far more invested in writing a love story for him than actually staying true to the source material. Calling the book "Hitchcockian" is also misleading: McKenna does manage a bit of ...more
David Schaafsma
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love Jane Eyre and have read it 2-3 times in the past year or two, so I know, I know, you might have warned me not to read a graphic adaptation by "one of the highest-grossing female screenwriters of all time." But I was curious, and I read and teach a lot of graphic novels so in some sense I feel obligated.

Maybe if I hadn't known it was based on Jane Eyre I might have thought it was a bit better--you know, just a romance--but it condensed the story and changed the ending. I wasn't a fan of
Scott
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The graphic novel Jane is based on Charlotte Bronte's 19th-century classic Jane Eyre, but I haven't read the original and my limited (i.e. non-existent) knowledge of it comes from a skit on SCTV, the classic Canadian sketch comedy series from the late 70's / early 80's, called 'Jane Eyrehead.' (pause) 'Airhead' - get it? This was comedy gold when I was a teenager. I really miss that show. Anyway . . .

Jane is set in modern-day New York City, featuring the plucky and likable college-age New
Teal
"A powerful modern day reimagining of Charlotte Brontë’s classic novel Jane Eyre."

No. No it isn't. The only true words in that sentence are "modern day." What a farce. DNF @ 30%, and I actually feel insulted.
Krista Regester
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was unexpectedly great! It totally kept me interested with each page and I loved the artwork.
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was so excited when I saw this book...but in retrospect it was probably a mistake to pick my favorite book as my first foray into graphic lit. I found the whole experience disappointing, because I feel that this "inspiration" omitted much that made the original so compelling. "Jane Eyre" is a complex narrative of a young woman's coming of age, and I felt that "Jane" skimped on too much character development, introspection, and plot in favor of the art work, art work which I felt in some cases ...more
Sara
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, reboot
A very serviceable retelling of Jane Eyre where a young art student becomes the nanny for an adorable, super neglected daughter of some sort of super rich enigmatic guy that was almost excellent until it suddenly and violently became a V.C. Andrews novel in the last ten pages. Which now that I think about it kind of makes sense since that's essentially what Jane Eyre was.

At any rate its a far better attempt at a reboot than many of the others I've read.
Gabriela
Absolutely stunning art and that's as far as it goes.
Aline Brosh McKenna took away all the wonderful complexity of the classic and turned it into a bland, cheesy Lifetime movie.
It is still entertaining, but if you loved Jane Eyre for her introspection, passionate and uniqueness, you will be very disappointed.
Kim Trusty
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
If it were possible to rate the art and the writing separately, the artwork would get a 3 and the writing would get a 1, so I'm settling on a 2 overall. I'm not sure why McKenna and Perez made the decision to present Jane as a typically pretty blonde. I'm not sure why McKenna chose to erase Bertha Mason from this story entirely. I'm not sure why the story descended into some sad, soap opera-ish climax but it did. With such incredible source material, I'm unsure how this adaptation went so ...more
Leah
Nov 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
I’m a huge fan of Crazy Ex Girlfriend, so I was super excited about this graphic novel. It was...a train wreck. Jane has no real depth or character complexity, no real growth (which is what Jane Eyre is predominately about), and the novel all but omits everything about Jane Eyre except the Rochester storyline, and it’s...well, a very “Mr Grey will meet you know” vibe with a slapdash of a seriously lackluster - yet somehow also weirdly disturbing - caper thrown in at the end. Also a lot of stuff ...more
Maggie Gordon
I think I liked this one more than most because I have never read the original Jane Eyre. This retelling reads like a bit of an overblown teen thriller, and I'm down with that. Plus the art is quite captivating. The book is more than a little ridiculous, but who doesn't like a little soap opera in their lives? (I bet you anything this is getting a movie treatment)
LeAnn Suchy
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Jane was just way too naive to be interesting. Rochester is a dick to her multiple times and she just forgives him instantly, for no real reason. The story with the brother Mason was just so soap opera-like that it was laughable.
Stewart Tame
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
So the elevator pitch on this one is Jane Eyre Set In the Present Day. I’ve actually never read Jane Eyre, though I've picked up bits and pieces of it through cultural osmosis. So I can't really comment on how faithful it is to the original or anything.

It is good though. Jane loses her parents at a young age, goes to live with her aunt, and, through hard work and determination, saves up enough to attend art school in New York City. While in her first year, she takes a job as a governess to a
Licha
Seeing quite a few bad reviews on this I'm almost embarrassed to say I thought this was cute and liked it. Maybe I would have disliked it more if I had read the original, but because I haven't I can't compare it to other fan fiction of this book, I thought it was a fun story about a young girl finding herself and finding love.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
In my opinion, this is better than the original that everyone is obsessed with - Rochester is less of a jerk.
Anna
me? enjoying jane eyre? it's more likely than you think when the art is this good.
Suad Shamma
Jul 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own, graphic-novels, 2018
I did not like this. At all.

Jane Eyre is one of my favorite all-time classics, and I felt like this graphic novel butchered the story and the characters and everything I ever loved about it. It was made into this Hollywood dramatic piece that I hated. Jane was annoying, her attachment and obsession with Rochestor and his daughter made no sense in this novel, whereas the way it gradually played out in the original was perfectly built to reach the point of catastrophe when she finally finds his
Ginny
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Loved the beautiful art and enjoyed some of the modern twists. However, it's hard for Rochester to seem anything but abusive when put in a modern setting and the mad wife in the attic was "translated" in a very odd, confusing and silly way. It's hard to condense a classic like Jane Eyre, and this one would have benefited from another 100 pages or so.
Steven Bell
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
(Just borrowing the review I wrote for my blog, keeping it as is.)

I read Aline Brosh McKenna and Ramon Perez’s Jane graphic novel.

It’s 200 pages long but it took me about an hour to read it. Ramon Perez’s art is rad and the story is… OK.

It’s a modern retelling of Jane Eyre. The trouble is that Jane Eyre is very much a product of its time. It’s not really a good example of an ideal romance. It’s an interesting, influential novel but would be offensive if written today.

So Aline tries to reframe it
Rachel
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, mount-tbr-2019
Jane Eyre is my all-time favorite novel and has been since the first time I read it twenty years ago. Jane is a modern retelling of the classic Bronte novel in graphic novel format. It's not a carbon copy of the original - here, Jane is an orphaned art student who moves to NYC to study art and Rochester is a mysterious hedge fund manager. Adele is his acknowledged daughter and Jane is hired to be her nanny. I won't say more. *no spoilers*

The art here is beautiful and except for a short section
Ryan
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is supposed to be a modern retelling of Jane Eyre. I have never read the real books, so I can not say how much of a retelling it is. Overall I like the idea. I found myself intrigued by the story, and with more questions than answers. I thought the ending was lacking. I am sure it comes close to the original story, but to me it seemed too soap opera. It’s been done a million times in other stories in other ways. Overall, a great read, but it needed more.
#LMPBC
#LitsyAtoZGN
Amanda Workman
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A modern day graphic novel version of my favorite novel. Loved the art and the setting and the character development. It lack a bit in the story telling, but the plot was compelling and fit the original narrative.
Janille N G
This was fun and different and a really quick read, but it certainly didn’t wow me. I’d recommend it to Jane Eyre lovers as an entertaining enough adaptation, although not the best one I’ve ever encountered. I liked the art style though!
Kendra
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting translation! I really liked the art, and Adele.
Kassy MacPherson
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this adaption! The graphics were excellent. I could not put it down! What a great story!
Heather
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a clever, modern re-imagining of Jane Eyre. Some familiarity with Bronte's novel is helpful, but not absolutely necessary.
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved this modern retelling of Jane Eyre in graphic novel form. It stayed true to the original story with a few modern twists and I liked the art.
Tommie
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this modern retelling of Jane Eyre. There were a few adjustments to make it more modern but they worked well. And the artwork was lovely. Jane Eyre has always been one of my favorite novels and I think this graphic novel lived up to it.

• Alice: From Dream to Dream
  • Mercedes
  • Le ragazze del Pillar (Le ragazze del Pillar, #1)
  • Inni alle stelle
  • My Boyfriend Is a Bear
  • Spinning
  • Luisa: Ici et là
  • Kiss Number 8
  • Giant Days, Vol. 7 (Giant Days, #7)
  • Melvina
  • Roots
  • Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos
Aline Brosh McKenna is an award-winning filmmaker and one of the highest-grossing female screenwriters of all time. McKenna is best-known for the film adaptation of the popular novel, The Devil Wears Prada. The screenplay is considered a modern classic, filled with memorable and oft-quoted lines, and features one of Meryl Streep's signature roles as the imperious magazine editor, Miranda Priestly. ...more