Start by marking “Descendants (The Arete Series 1)” as Want to Read:

Descendants (The Arete Series 1)

There are lots of stories about the children of gods. But what about those cursed by the gods, and their descendants...

El, a seventeen-year-old has inherited an ancient and deadly power. She loses control of it, causing a horrific accident, and becomes the prey of a secret organisation, known as the Order.

Forced from her family and home, she hides in plain sight amidst the
Published April 12th 2017 by Rae Else

Start your review of Descendants (The Arete Series 1)
Always Pouting
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
El is gifted with powers that she has been forced to hide her whole life, living secluded at home with her grandmother until one day an accident happens with El losing control of her powers which brings her mother back into her life. El is forced to go into hiding with her mother in plain site of the Arete government, the Order. I enjoyed the book, it was faced paced and short which was nice, I kind of tire of reading fantasy books with huge info dumps about the fantasy universe because I mostly ...more
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
This is a low 3, which means that parts were enjoyable, but it needs a lot of work.

I love Greek mythology. I was that nerdy 10 year old who read The Odyssey. I also read Ovid at 10. And every other myth I could get my hands on. I love the Greek mythos, the idea of Olympus, the gods and goddesses watching humans, interfering in their affairs, and causing all kinds of mischief. So when I saw this title on Netgalley, I thought it would be a little this:

and a little this

And it was. But kinda like
Kirsty Hanson
Who doesn't love a good book about people who can manipulate the elements, a book where it is good versus evil? Descendants is a book about exactly that. With its captivating storyline and heart-wrenching plot points, I can guarantee that this will be a book that you won't be able to put down.

Kari Rhiannon (Moon Magister Reviews)
3 stars

I had mixed feelings whilst writing this review. On one hand, it was a quick paced YA thriller with interesting concepts and big ideas, but on the other, I finished reading this book and found it strangely soulless.

It has a great concept, binding mythology and technology, monsters and men. Why have your heroes be demigods when they can be the spawn of Gorgons instead? It's obvious that Else knows her classics and there are examples of that knowledge spread throughout the entire text.
Georgi_Lvs_Books
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC of Descendants, book one of the Arete series.

The story focus on El, who has a power that she has tried her best to contain all her life.

She has always been kept in the dark about what she is and has had to deal with a strict upbringing for her own safety.

Occasionally she can lose control and with that follow's consequences.

Word has spread of her power... The Order want her.

I found this story to be really intriguing. Kept me wanting more, loved all the characters.

I loved
Atlas
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-s
I used to wonder if we were carrying Eve's sin: to always bear the temptation of the serpent

* *
2 / 5

Descendants sounded and started off like it was going to be in the vein of Percy Jackson, before diverging in a wildly different direction at breakneck speed. Everything happens so fast in this short novel (210 pages) that I felt like I was getting whiplash. There's betrayals, characters appearing and disappearing and dying, plot twists occurring so quickly that I found it difficult to care all
Ronan
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced copy of Descendants before it's release in April. I'm not great at reviews, but here goes.

Descendants was an excellent read, one of those where I found myself reading cover-to-cover, even if it kept me up later than it should be!

It's set in the modern world, with ties to Greek mythology. We follow El, as she learns to control the abilities passed down to her, and explore the exciting world of elemental powers. I found the world incredibly immersive - picturing the
Miguel
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2017
This review first appeared on The Quirky Reader.

Rick Riordan sort of ruined other young adult novels with (Greek) mythological storylines for me. His Percy Jackson series is one of my all-time favourite books to read and even now many years later I still get a kick from them whenever I skim through the pages. But recently, I think I may have a found a new series with alotof potential to rebuild what Riordan has ruined for me in YA mythology.

Descendants revolves around seventeen year-old El
Ann Marie
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read many books this week but this particular book struck me and left me attached to the story. I would describe this book as a combination of Percy Jackson and Mortal Instruments. If those two stories would have a child it would be Descendants: Book One of the Arete Series written by Rae Else.
The story revolves around El. She grew up under her grandparents' care and was very sheltered. Knowing her capabilities at a very young age she longed for freedom and a normal life though she is
Veronica
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fast paced YA novel that has elements of Greek mythology in it. A teenage girl has mysterious powers that she is forced to hide until an accident forces her to come to terms and understand who and what she is.
I have to admit I had trouble reading this one at times and had to force myself to finish. More for the resolution than anything else. The writing seemed a bit choppy to me but then again it could just be that it was just not the novel for me. I think it will appeal to teens who
Joshua Grant
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rae Else builds an exciting new pantheon in Descendants. El has been cursed. Hunted and forced to flee from her family and everything she loves, she finds herself trapped in a war between two ancient factions. Else’s fresh take on mythology and choice to focus on those cursed by the gods versus the gods themselves was immediately appealing to me. Add into it smooth character development and a deep rich lore and Descendants quickly became one of my favorites! Check this one out, especially if you ...more
Kei • fiction court •
I thought was going to be a bit like Percy Jackson to be honest but it was far from that. El has powers that she's been forced to hide but she gets exposed after an accident which takes place so early into the story there's no time to even wonder about her. There's a lot of fire and thriller-y stuff with things happening just because and so many plot twists in such a small book that everything were happening so fast.
B
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very atmospheric story set in an intriguing world. A page turner which I can highly recommend.
Becca
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished reading my advance reader copy of The Descendants and I can't wait for the second book - what a rollercoaster it takes you on! It follows El, a young woman, who has grown up knowing she's different, inheriting powers far beyond the human world. She's been sheltered throughout her childhood but suddenly an accident happens which opens up a whole world of danger and mystery, which has been kept from her - with some terrifying consequences.

I found myself really connecting with El
Angela Neylin-D'Alton
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC copy of Descendants which is Book no 1 in the Arete series.
Its great to know that more is on the way.
I am out of my comfort zone with this genre but found myself completely drawn in and carried along with the story. It is a powerful book that is extremely well written. I would recommend it without reservation. A definite must read.
Christopher Schmitz
Rae Else’s Descendants was a quality read and I found it intriguing and engaging. It has a Percy Jackson kind of flair (which I noticed especially in the buildup of the main character,) but this world views the gifting of powers as more of a type of curse than a gift (kind of like how Marvel Comics has happy super-powered people like Spiderman but then it’s also got all of the X titles with its signature mutant characters… As much as I love Spidey, I’m more of an X-men fan than any other title, ...more
Cocktails and Books
I jumped on this book because of the greek mythology, but I ended up finding myself bored with the story. Descendants of Perseus who find themselves fighting against an order that wants to use their power. The action and intrigue should have kept me in its clutches. Instead, I found myself hoping things would get better. That El wouldn't grate on my nerves. That the broody Dan wasn't the ass that he was going off as. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.
Samantha Nash
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having received an ARC copy of this book, prior to its official release, I soon found that I couldn't put it down. It's a fast-moving, thrilling tale that combines legends from Greek mythology with the complexities of our modern world.

El, our heroine, is a mild-mannered, home schooled student on the brink of womanhood. We are swept up in her story of lost relations and incredible powers, while she struggles to find trustworthy allies and to master her gifts.

An immersive page turner from
Pheobe Pach
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. The author, Rae Else, has done a wonderful job of weaving mythology with contemporary and as a result, she’s created an amazing and exhilarating world that I want to live in.
El, the teenage protagonist, is a highly relatable character who I empathised with throughout. She is estranged from her mother. She lives with her overprotective grandmother and she can compel someone with her eyes. Struggling to cope with the weight of her magical gifts and the devastating
Ruairi
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't often write reviews, but when something extraordinary comes along I allow an exception; this book is one of those exceptions.
If I'm being honest, Descendants was a book that brought me back into reading after a lengthy dry spell. I couldn't of chosen a better book for such a situation.
I truly couldn't put this book down, and loved the storyline. With the ending crafted in such a perfect way, I can't wait for the next book.
☘Tara Sheehan☘
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I felt compelled to check this out because my kids are huge fans of Rick Riordan’s books and I was curious to see what a more ‘grown up’ version of the Greek mythology would read like.

Similar to Riordan, Else has set her mythos in a modern world that is incredibly detailed and her vivid writing will engage your senses in her version of what can happen if the Greek gods came to life. An excellent story line provides a thoroughly immersive experience through exposition to teach the reader more
Poulami
Originally posted on Daydreaming Books. Click this link to read an interview with the author!

*I received an eARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

This book was interesting, there were definitely ups and downs butoverall, I enjoyed it.

El can always manipulate people when she focuses too much on anybody. That's why her grandmother didn't let her out much but when one incident goes horribly wrong, her long lost mother resurfaces to take her with her. She is bewildered
Cassie James
description

Descendants is the first book Rae Else has gifted the world and I am definitely looking forward to more form her. Descendants is so good I forgot this was the authors debut novel I was just wishing for other books from her. I have read a lot of Fantasy and I never get tired of discovering new gems such as this. A perfect blend of mythology, fantasy and YA, Descendants is a book that'll leave you wanting for more.
It began with a bang (Or a thud!! Don't worry you'll understand). We get to meet El
Susan Angela Wallace
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Descendants by Rae Else.
El, a seventeen-year-old has inherited an ancient and deadly power. She loses control of it, causing a horrific accident, and becomes the prey of a secret organisation, knows as the Order.

Forced from her family and home, she hides in plain sight amidst the crowds of London, and is thrust into a world she never knew existed; one full of arete: beings with extraordinary powers like hers.

Arete are beings that can trace their lineage and powers from ancient Greece. They do
Crystal
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic YA urban fantasy! I love stories that include ancient mythologies, and Descendants exceeded my expectations with a unique take on this subject. The story focuses on seventeen-year-old El, a descendant of a terrifying and powerful god from ancient Greece. Much of her life has been sheltered from the outside world, her existence shrouded in secrecy and lies. El has to discover the truth of who she is, of who she can trust, and of her place in the secret world of Arete.

I like
The Book Filled Day
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This one I picked out because I really liked the sound of being Medusa’s descendant. I thought it could have some really cool tricks up its sleeve. Unfortunately, for me it just didn’t work out quite as well as I hoped.

Things I liked:

I enjoyed the world building. In parts, it could have been described better, but you could tell the author had a deep and thorough world built.
I liked El’s grandma, though I wish we would have got to know her better.
The idea of having powers of control over
Amy
Apr 04, 2017 added it
I liked the overall storyline and am interested in what happens next, however the book started kind of abruptly. I felt that I was playing catch up trying to figure out what was going on. Maybe if there had been a better introduction into what the arete were I wouldn't have been so lost. Once I was able to understand the world of the arete, about halfway through, then I really enjoyed the rest of the book. Interesting concept and look forward to seeing how things progress in book two.
Lisa
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Book Title: Descendants

Author: Rae Else

Rating: 5/5

Time it took me to read: 11 Days

Review: I was given this to read from Netgalley in return for an honest review. I found the beginning of this book a little quick, like i was thrown into alot happening all at once but as the story carried on it just got better and better and i found i couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed it and cant wait to read future books in this series.
Ceillie Simkiss
Read my full review HERE!
Joanne
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First I'd like to give a big thank you to the author for providing this through a Goodreads giveaway. The personally signed note inside was a very thoughtful touch.

For a debut novel, I was pretty impressed by Rae Else. It's a gutsy story which sets up for (hopefully) a good series.

The story in brief (I never give spoilers)- El discovers that she's of a family line descended from Perseus and that her paranormal abilities come from him. She's been closeted away for much of her life to keep her and
FREE BOOKS for Bo...: YA Urban-Fantasy: Descendants 3 29 Oct 06, 2017 06:39PM
Goodreads Librari...: Update cover of paperback edition 7 30 Mar 14, 2017 03:11PM
Goodreads Reviewe...: Review Request for YA Urban Fantasy 1 8 Mar 05, 2017 04:28AM

• Gods no More Book One
  • Spells & Death (Paranormal MI5, #1)
  • The Tetradome Run
  • A Dance of Dragons: Series Starter Bundle
  • Space Rogues
  • Mine to Take (Mine, #1)
  • Gateway (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)
  • Fairy-Struck (The Twilight Court, #1)
  • Sacrificed in Shadow (Ascension #1)
  • Starshine (Aurora Rising #1; Amaranthe #1)
  • The Wrong Girl (The 1st Freak House Trilogy #1)
  • A Spirited Manor (O'Hare House Mysteries, #1)
  • Witch's Bell 1 (Witch's Bell #1)
  • Wasteland (Surviving The Evacuation #2)
  • Family (Surviving The Evacuation #3)
  • Flight (The Crescent Chronicles, #1)
  • Autumn's Blood (The Spirit Shifters, #1)
  • Spin
Hi! I’m Rae. I’m an Urban-Fantasy author, most at home in the spaces between reality and the imaginary. When I am in this world, I reside in London with my husband. My Young Adult, Urban Fantasy book, Descendants is the first in The Arete Series and was published in 2017. The second book, The All Seeing Eye is out now.

I have previously published fiction with Fictuary magazine. I studied Classics