Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Dandelions” as Want to Read:
Dandelions
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Dandelions

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  298 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Beautifully spare and deeply strange, Dandelions—exploring love and madness—is Kawabata’s final novel, left incomplete when he committed suicide in April, 1972. The book concerns Ineko’s mother and Kuno, the young man who loves Ineko and wants to marry her. The two have left Ineko at the Ikuta Mental Hospital, which she has entered for treatment of a condition that might b ...more
Paperback, 128 pages
Published December 12th 2017 by New Directions (first published 1972)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Dandelions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dandelions

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
3.51  · 
Rating details
 ·  298 ratings  ·  34 reviews


More filters
 | 
Sort order
Ana
Nu inteleg: autorul cartii acesteia a primit premiul Nobel pentru literatura. Nu inteleg de ce. Nici nu stiu cum sa scriu o recenzie pentru lucrarea de fata pentru ca nu m-a impresionat cu nimic. Dialogul este simplu, povestea nu este atat de interesanta, iar lectura este mult prea laxa pentru ceea ce as considera eu un autor demn de Nobel. Este primul autor japonez care a primit premiul, si cred ca o sa mai citesc alte carti de-ale lui ca sa gasesc scriitura pentru care a fost aclamat.
Bookaholic
Multă senzualitate și tandrețe e de găsit în romanele construite în jurul conceptului specific culturii japoneze tradiţionale – mono no awere –, potrivit căruia secretul vieţii constă în puterea de a vedea şi de a savura frumuseţea efemerului, de a putea simţi freamătul vieţii pe suprafaţa lucrurilor… Flori de cireș, păpădii, licurici, bătaia mereu alta a clopotelor care sunt menite să spele păcatele și emoțiile distructive, priviri şi suflete care se hrănesc cu frumuseţea „nimicurilor” trecătoa ...more
Gardy (Elisa G)
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
È risaputo che Kawabata fosse uno scrittore incapace di lasciare andare i suoi romanzi, sempre pronto a correggerne anche le minime asperità con aggiustamenti e riedizioni continue.
Quando si suicidò sulla sua scrivania venne rinvenuta l'ennesima versione del suo capolavoro, Il paese delle nevi, che dalle prime bozze alla sua morte il premio Nobel non smise mai di modificare.

La pubblicazione in inglese di Dandelions consegna quindi al lettore italiano un romanzo differente rispetto alle version
...more
Connor
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
"deeply strange" is correct. The novella is two people connected by an absent third, bound together by a few repeating symbols. A tree carving, a bell ringing, a man falling off a cliff on horseback. They are sort of motifs for the whole work.

It wasn't exactly my favorite Kawabata, but it was of the most interesting.
ريوف
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: رواية
الرواية التي انتحر كاواباتا قبل أن يتمّها، تبدو مكتملة وقادرة ببعض من مسودّتها على أن تصف ضمن الأعمال العظيمة الرائعة. عدم انتهائه من كتابتها لم يشعرني بنقصٍ فيها، ربّما لأنني بشكل ما انشغلت بما هو موجود منها عمّا غاب، حتى أنني لفرط الانشغال بعد أن قلبت آخر صفحة لم أفكّر فيما كان سيحدث بعد ذلك ووضعتها جانبًا مأخوذة بفرط الرقة التي تناول فيها الحب، الصلات الإنسانيّة، الغياب وأثر الغياب، الاختلاف في حب الإنسان عينه وما تخلّفه طبيعة هذا الحب من اختلاف في معرفة هذا الإنسان أيضًا، طبيعة الحب وما تتيح ...more
Mihai07
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mi-a plăcut în special prima parte foarte mult, povestea mi-a captat atenția şi mă făcea să mă transpun în acel univers. ultimele 60 de pagini mi s-au părut mai puțin reuşite şi s-a simțit clar faptul că autorul avea să se sinucidă înainte de terminarea cărții, întrucât insuflă foarte multă tristețe şi melancolie.
Chris
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: japanese-fiction
Emmerich has made some nice contributions to English translation of Japanese prose and poetry, but this is not one of them. This translation feels overall too academic, inartful, and altogether untrue to the original. With Dandelions, there are too few things about which I'm happy that Emmerich does and too many things that he does with which I disagree.

In my view, the major flaw: One thing that I've always admired about Kawabata's writing is how seamlessly he can weave differing narrative point
...more
J.M. Hushour
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Oddly, underlying the strengthened sense of her reality was at the same time an increased anxiety about the possibility that she was a fiction."

Kawabata's final, unfinished novel is a strange, like staring into the eye of a duck. That he never finished is both frustrating and intriguing, for in its unpolished form one can get a sense of what K's writing mechanism was and how much he stripped down initial drafts. I say this because the structure of "Dandelions" is very strange. It is, unlike his
...more
Erin
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book, but it was not very easy to read. To read this is to listen to an ongoing circular conversation between 2 people over the course of a day, which is interesting because it made it so apparent that unlike many books, Kawabata captured beautifully what real conversation sounds like. It has the appearance of not being carefully constructed with a coherent narrative. Characters repeat themselves and argue the same topic while coming to different conclusions without acknowledging or ...more
Will E
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Too bad it was never finished. This is pretty great but is missing, not necessarily an ending, but some key piece to tie some really compelling threads together.
Jonathan yates
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a little piece of magic that will continue to make me believe in the power of literature to see the world as a bigger place. His attention to detail, both physical and emotional is unmatched.
Jason
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yasunari Kawabata’s DANDELIONS belongs to a rarified category of novels left uncompleted on account of their author’s suicide. Perhaps the most recent book of some note to occupy this category is David Foster Wallace’s THE PALE KING, an absolutely fascinating novel, perhaps my very favourite book by Wallace, which I suspect has failed to receive the full appreciation it merits on account of folks having decided that it is incomplete. This raises a number of questions, not the least of which pert ...more
Sorin Hadârcă
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, asia
E oarecum ciudat să termini un roman a cărui scriere a fost întreruptă de moartea scriitorului. Într-un fel e memorabil așa... Să-l termini într-un fel imaginar, dar pe ce linie de subiect? Să urmărești traiectoria tensiunii erotice dintre mama eroinei și iubitul ei? Sau să rezolvi misterul cecității care-i estompează trupul logodnicului? Încurcată situație...
Gabrielle Jarrett
The unfinished novel of Kawabata (2017 translation by Michael Emmerich) remained unfinished because Kawabata choose to end his life. Is Dandelions the reveal of his own struggle with his death? With his life? It is certainly a ping-pong game of the struggles of two protagonists, possibly imparting Kawabata's own struggle. The decision to suicide is very often a ping-pong debate. The two protagonists, Ineko's mother and Ineko's lover have just left the young woman Ineko in a clinic or treatment ...more
Brooke Salaz
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strange, unsettling, dark tale of a mother and her daughter's boyfriend dropping off the daughter at an insane asylum. After travelling to a sparingly described town by train whose defining feature is a profusion of dandelions, they reluctantly leave Ineko with the other 'lunatics' because of her increasing bouts of somagnosia where she will cease seeing the body of another. We only meet her through their reminiscences and thoughts about her for the few hours of the novel's duration from the dro ...more
Wolfe Tone
When I first heard this was coming out I did a little dance in the room. A new Kawabata!

Yasunari Kawabata is my absolute idol and is for me on a different level altogether from other authors. This is his final unfinished novel, though you wouldn't notice it but for a few minor temporal mistakes. Kawabata was a perfectionist and he worked on this novel on and off for almost a decade, as he did on most of his books: constantly editing.

This novel is beautifully written in Kawabata's typical poeti
...more
Robert Ullrich
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Posthumously translated and published here in the States by Michael Emmerich, Dandelions wades in a fractured dream that's as mad as the plot.

The incompleteness is what made me enjoy it more thoroughly than I anticipated. The temporal hiccups, the dialogue centric writing, the brief pauses to remind us of the landscape of not only Ikuta, but of Ineko, her mother, her father and her lover, Kuno, give this short novel the hints of realism that are only capable through the rawness of this narrative
...more
Bgwara
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dans la petite ville tranquille de ...... se trouve, perdu au milieu des pissenlits, un hôpital pour personnes atteintes de désordres mentaux. La mère d'Ineko et son amant y dépose la jeune femme avant de repartir emplis de doutes au son de la cloche du monastère.
Un dialogue s'établit alors entre eux où chacun exprime ses doutes, ses angoisses, des réflexions philosophiques sur la folie, la mort, le destin, l'amour... La scène dans l'auberge où chacun, bien que dans deux chambres différentes, co
...more
Nathan Truong
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
As a first Kawabata read, I think I've made the wrong choice according to other readers on here.

It's strange. It's metaphysical. It asks what it means to have a body and what it is to lose sight of things physical, metaphorically and and physically.

The story moves mostly through dialogue that remains colloquial. Same parts of old stories told between the husband and his mother-in-law will flow in and out and up again like how they happen in brunches or drunk murmurs in low key bars.

There are
...more
Milky Mixer
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This whole book is one long conversation between the mother and the lover of a woman they've deposited in a psychiatric clinic (she only appears in a flashback or as part of their conversation). Mildly interesting but definitely repetitious, with occasionally beautiful imagery.
Ionela Dan
O carte cu o poveste interesanta si neterminata. Oare boala lui Ineko avanseaza sau dispare in acel spital de nebuni? Merita aceasta dusa acolo sau mai bine se casatorise cu Hisano?
Stephen Douglas Rowland
Some of the writing here is exceptional, as one would expect from Kawabata, but what little story it has is simply not that interesting and overly repetitive, ultimately coming to nothing (as one would, I suppose, expect from an unfinished work). For curious Kawabata fans only.
Mace
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I had a difficult time feeling connected to this book. I struggled to understand any of the characters, who had very odd and specific ideas of what mental institutions are like. I constantly felt like I was missing something, and I'm not sure if it's a translation issue, or just a me problem.
Ioana
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O lectură ușoară, care mi-a plăcut
Warren
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
A nice little novella
Iulia Iancu
did not enjoy it
Bogdan Raț
Cand eram mica, mi-era frica de intuneric, si odata l-am intrebat pe tata: "De ce exista noaptea?" Imi amintesc ce mi-a raspuns: "Daca ar fi mereu lumina, n-am mai putea dormi". Si atunci, cine ne-a dat noaptea?" "Probabil ca zeul care-i face pe oameni sa doarma." "Zeul Somnului? Ce fel de zeu e? Unde e?" "Nu putem sa-l vedem pentru ca dormim."
Alis
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book makes you wonder...
Raluca
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kawabata's personal touch and take to an atypical love story. Too bad he did not come to end the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »

Readers also enjoyed

  • Cat Town
  • The Gourmet Club
  • The River Ki
  • Child of Fortune
  • The Word Book
  • La belva nell'ombra
  • In
  • The Apprenticeship of Big Toe P
  • Self Portraits: Tales from the Life of Japan's Great Decadent Romantic
  • A Dark Night's Passing (Japan's Modern Writers)
  • Kanikosen. El pesquero
  • Once and Forever
  • Los relatos
  • On Parole
  • Bullfight
  • Isle of Dreams
  • Tangled Hair: Selected Tanka from Midaregami
  • The Woman and the Puppet
See similar books…
1,993 followers
Yasunari Kawabata (川端 康成) was a Japanese short story writer and novelist whose spare, lyrical, subtly-shaded prose works won him the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1968, the first Japanese author to receive the award. His works have enjoyed broad international appeal and are still widely read today.

Nobel Lecture: 1968
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prize...
No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »
“The bonds between men and women predate language, and while the words we have used to express those ties may have grown exceptionally subtle and refined since language first arose, they are still just words. Words make our loves richer and more complicated, yes, but much has also been lost on their account - shrouded in the trappings of the age, drunk on the vacuity of artificial thrills. The progress of language is both a friend to love between the sexes and its enemy. Such love abides, it seems, in the mysterious depths where language cannot reach. Perhaps it's a slight exaggeration to say that the language of love is a stimulant, a drug; but whatever led us humans to create such a language , it was not life itself - which is the root of love - and therefore that language cannot engender the life that is the root of all else.” 2 likes
More quotes…