Start by marking “Goblin Market and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Goblin Market and Other Poems

Goblin Market and Other Poems

A collectible new Penguin Classics series: stunning, clothbound editions of ten favourite poets, which present each poet's most famous book of verse as it was originally published. Designed by the acclaimed Coralie Bickford-Smith and beautifully set, these slim, A format volumes are the ultimate gift editions for poetry lovers.

Goblin Market and Other Poems was Christina Rosset
Published August 24th 2017 by Penguin Classics (first published 1862)

To ask other readers questions about Goblin Market and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goblin Market and Other Poems

Start your review of Goblin Market and Other Poems
Julie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wax-poetic
I've spent the weekend with Christina Rossetti, and I now feel a fire in my chest that is threatening to blast open my rib cage and send shards of bone flying in every direction.

I've also got a sob in my throat that I can't swallow down and won't let me sleep.

I just feel so damn sad and angry that we've spent more than one millennium telling women that if they follow their hearts and fall into the crazy chaotic chasm of carnal love before marriage. . . they will be soiled
Paul
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Goblin Market is a narrative poem written by Christina Rossetti in 1859, eventually being published in 1862, along with the rest of the poems in this collection. Goblin Market has been much argued over and there are numerous interpretations; the themes of temptation, salvation and sacrifice and the seemingly sexual imagery have ensured the debate will continue. The plot is simple; two sisters (Laura and Lizzie) live together (their age is never specified). They hear the call of the goblin mercha ...more
Steven Godin
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-britain, poetry
Charming and elegant collection of poetry including the classic 'Goblin Market' which I would say is one of the best to be written from her era. It's always nice to delve back into poetic history where life was a million miles away from today's hectic world. A nice glass of wine, the flutter of birds in the trees and a gentle ripple across the water. Reading bliss!
Eliza
These are such amazing poems! I don't know why Rossetti isn't more known!
Francesca Calarco
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this edition, the first half of the collection is composed of (some) poems from the original Goblin Market and Other Poems (1862) and focuses predominantly on love and relationships. The second half contains poems from The Prince's Progress and Other Poems (1866), which takes a tonal shift focusing more on religion and death. While variable in content, the quality is consistently beautiful. Christina Rossetti is exceptionally good at expressing bitter sentiment with sweet prose.

The titular poem, "Gobl
Emily May
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
“We must not look at goblin men,
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?”
Nikki
Oct 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I've never actually read any of Christina Rossetti's poetry before, as far as I know. Which is actually kind of sad, because I loved it. The imagery in the main poem, Goblin Market, was lovely, and the fairytale aspect of it, too. I liked a lot of the other poems in the volume as well. Makes me glad I got it this semester and had chance to enjoy it whole, before I have to pick it apart next semester!
Doug
Sep 28, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The trite of one sister with a fruity addiction
And the other's vicarious affliction.
Rossetti's lines are jagged,
Her rhymes often free;
She's like Doctor Seuss, without the PhD.
Claxton
There's no button for "I respect it, but it ain't my cup o' tea..."
Lily Wren
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I often find that when I write reviews I waffle on far too much. All I can say about this book is that I find myself wanting more. I want to drink in more of Christinas' poetry and find out more about her, her life and history.

I was introduced to her through my love of her brothers' art. Dantes' art and Christina's poetry seem so compatible.

The Goblin Market is such a wonderful tale of desire, wanting, haunting and love. So much more than the initial thoughts (at the time) of it being a childr
Wes Benchoff
Nov 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: such-smut
Really bad free rhymes, odd Puritan conceptions of sex and women, incest imagery, etc.

It's like something your grandma would get for you. When you were 10, to keep you from having sex, if she knew you liked Tolkien and Lewis. Yes, it really is that bad.
Karen
There are some beautiful verses in this volume, with themes of gentle heartbreak, death and longing. The poems take a sharp religious turn towards the end, and I found these less enjoyable.
Vicki
Rossetti wrote beautifully, but her overweening pessimism was not good for my mental health. The story of "Goblin Market" was interesting, but its style was the least attractive in the book. I much preferred some of the shorter poems, such as "Song" and "The First Spring Day."
Kate
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous poetry, flitting between love, seasons, folklore and death.
Cheyenne Dunnett
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found the devotional poetry hard-going but overall, this anthology was amazing. More notes to come when I have time for writing lengthy reviews!
Mindy
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: other
Christina Rossetti is probably my all time favorite poet. Many of her poems deal with death or a sense of loss. But this poem carries such a fantastic story. While I enjoy the fun about the goblin men, it's the sister's bond that carries the most weight in this poem. At least for me. I could read it a million times over (probably have!)and never tire of it.
Jessica
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, own, poetry
This poem is so visually naughty, I love it.
Matthew
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
At my funeral, I want some mysterious woman in black to arrive on that bleak and gray scene and sing 'When I am Dead my Dearest', perhaps my widow.
Elizabeth
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a little girl, I had a poetry anthology of classic poems for children, and there were a number of Christina Rossetti's poems in it. I think I must have been about six years old when I told my mum that Christina Rossetti was my favourite poet. Something about her work really struck me as a child, and I was absolutely enchanted. I still enjoy those same poems as an adult (I still have that poetry anthology), but it recently occurred to me that although I read a fair bit of poetry as an ...more
Cela Day
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goblin Market never grows old. It's a vivid portrayal of the relationship between two sisters who are very different people, and explores the sickening knowledge of knowing someone you love is in peril but not being able to ward off the danger, and the lengths one might need to go to help your loved one in the end. And all expressed as marvelous poetry. Love it!
Nick Traynor
The titular poem didn't represent the rest of the material in the volume, which alternated between piety and despair. The poems were not complex in language or structure and as such seemed more contemporary than they are. Lots of recurring words and themes, expressing a persistent suffering and a longing for purity.
Ksenia Chernyshova
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, classics-read
It was nice to reread and realise how wildly I misunderstood it the first time I read it.
(I wonder if a few years later I'll reread it again and say the same thing? :) )
Dave
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite like Goblin Market, but felt lukewarm about most of the other poems.
Natassa
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m not gonna lie. I definitely didn’t read the devotional pieces at the end as properly as I maybe was expected to...
Justine
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was just beautiful.

Even if some poems are overtly religious, I loved this collection so much. Already can't wait to reread it!
I read 'Goblin Market', 'In an Artist's Studio' and 'Winter: My Secret'.
Eloise Mcallister
some bangers, some clangers
Gabi Leoncini
Despite my rating, I quite liked 'Goblin Market', 'Cousin Kate' and 'Maude Clare'.
J.M. Hushour
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely dark wonderful things pepper these often dismal and discreet works. Rossetti, who forswore intimate attachments throughout her life, dogs the loinal riches with such tempestuous pieces as "Goblin Market" (need help interpreting it? Substitute every mention of fruit or syrup with the genital of your choice) and "The Convent Threshold", a lament for unconsummated yet unyielding love. There are lots of great little strange things in and around these poems, and they're so damn lyrically engag ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems
  • My Last Duchess and Other Poems
  • In Memoriam
  • Great Sonnets
  • Selected Poems
  • Complete Poems and Selected Letters
  • The Works of Anne Bradstreet (John Harvard Library)
  • Poems and Prose
  • The Dead and the Living
  • Easter 1916 and Other Poems
  • Complete Poems and Translations
  • Songs for the Open Road: Poems of Travel and Adventure
Christina Georgina Rossetti, one of the most important women poets writing in nineteenth-century England, was born in London December 5, 1830, to Gabriele and Frances (Polidori) Rossetti. Although her fundamentally religious temperament was closer to her mother's, this youngest member of a remarkable family of poets, artists, and critics inherited many of her artistic tendencies from her father.

J
“For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one totters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands”
428 likes
“We must not look at goblin men,
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?”
141 likes