Start by marking “Čovek po imenu Uve” as Want to Read:
Čovek po imenu Uve

Čovek po imenu Uve

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  435,722 ratings  ·  54,163 reviews
Upoznajte Uvea. On je džangrizalo – jedan od onih koji upiru prstom u ljude koji mu se ne dopadaju kao da su provalnici zatečeni pod njegovim prozorom. Svakog jutra Uve ide u inspekciju po naselju u kom živi. Premešta bicikle i proverava da li je đubre pravilno razvrstano – iako je već nekoliko godina prošlo otkako je razrešen dužnosti predsednika kućnog saveta. Ili otkako ...more
Published February 20th 2017 by Laguna (first published August 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Čovek po imenu Uve, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Leeann
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  435,722 ratings  ·  54,163 reviews

Emily May
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, 2014
Update: I had planned to leave this post as it is, but after seeing the continued kind responses, I thought it best to inform you that my grandad passed away just before Christmas. Thank you to everyone who commented about this review and about him, but it seemed wrong to not let you know. It's always hard to lose someone who has been such a huge part of your life from day one, but please know that he died a happy old man, peacefully, surrounded by his family. And isn't that the best any of us c ...more
Lynda
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of quality swedish fiction
"Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the greatest motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take som ...more
David V.
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received as an ARC from the publisher. Started 5-8-14. Finished 5-11-14. First let me explain what happened to me while reading this book aloud to my wife as she was preparing dinner. I'm 70; she's almost 70. I'd read the first page, laughed out loud and decided she'd like to hear it read. I read, we laughed and nodded knowingly, then I got to the end of chapter 4 and completely lost it---I couldn't continue through those last few sentences. My wife said I should quit since she knows that I cry ...more
Nicholas Sparks
This novel, set in Sweden, tells the story of Ove, who can best be described as a curmudgeon. The story takes place after the death of his wife, and shows how healing can occur with the unlikeliest of people, in the unlikeliest of ways.
Miranda Reads
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He went through life with his hands firmly shoved into his pockets. She danced.
Ove is the quintessential grumpy old man.

He lives in a little development, where he spends much of his time patrolling and reporting rule-breakers.

Even when he was younger, Ove has always been...particular.

He had a steward set of principles and absolutely compromised them.
Men are what they are because of what they do. Not what they say.
But then...Sonja came into his life.
She just smiled, said that she loved b
Debbie
Argh! It’s hard not to start this review with a bunch of expletives, because this book pissed me off royally! Shit! See, I can’t even hold it in. The cat and the fat were the straws that broke the camel’s back.

Let’s start with Ove not liking the cat. Not liking the cat is one thing. For some reason bitching about a cat is supposed to be funny, but to me it’s annoying. Ove kicking the cat a couple of times cranked my wincing up a notch. But there was a way worse cat crime: Ove was going to leave
Elyse Walters
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is a tale that makes you appreciate life!

I vote *OVE* as 'character-of-the-year'! The author has created the most memorable character to be found in a novel --in years.

*OVE*, is an unassuming man. He likes routines, and rules. He's an honest man. Doesn't smile and give compliments -- but he's a man of integrity.

To watch OVE grow - heal the loss of his wife -and allow his neighbors to love him (and love them back) -- is is a treasure.

This book has great humor & great heart!

Its a perso
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was such a nice story! It's about the transformations we go through in life and how different events within our life affect, shape us, and make us who we are today.
PirateSteve
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Ove - gruff, insensitive, antisocial - Ove
6 months in widower finds nothing remains to live for.

The writing/English translation of Ove's story is top-notch. The story-line itself plays very well with this character study.The story moves forward, then comes a little back story, we move forward again and this pace continues through out the book at finely tuned measurements.
But that's not why 5 stars.
My 5 stars comes because every time the story moved forward, someone touched on my emotions.
An
Megan Johnson
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I have been reading more and more, I have realized that it is not always beneficial to give each book a 5 star rating just because you got to the end of it. This book, I mean THIS BOOK deserves a 5 star rating. If I could give it more than I would, but alas I cannot. :(

So, here's the review. Greif is a strange thing, I have heard many people say. I have lost people in my life, but not in the way that Ove has in this book. Ove mother dies when he is young, leaving Ove and his father. His fa
Mio
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book expecting some easy entertainment, you know, a few giggles here and there. I did not expect to spend almost half an hour crying my eyes out after finishing it - and yet, that's exactly what I did.
Ove is a grumpy old man. He wants things to be "right" and doesn't think twice about the fact that he isn't always perceived as fair - and that always keeping to the truth can actually make people stay away from you.

This book is a journey. For Ove, for Ove's surroundings and for the
Candace
This definitely isn't my usual type of book, but I'm glad I read it. Every once in a while, you have to change things up a little. 'A Man Called Ove' was a great choice for me.

Ove is a wonderful character. He is opinionated, cantankerous and utterly set in his ways. He is a man that has been left behind in many ways, unwilling to adapt and unable to understand the thought process that drives "modern man" in this technological era.

When his new neighbor's failed attempts to back a trailer up draws
Debbie "DJ"
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor
When I began reading A Man Called Ove, I thought what a clever tale of an angry old man. The kind that believes rules and regulations are of utmost importance, that see the world filled with stupid people, and is always right. The way the author describes him and his actions are hilarious, as I have known a few Oves myself. They have their principles!

The only person Ove had and loved dearly, was his wife, Sonja. She has just passed away, and all Ove wants to do is kill himself, but those pesky
emma
FINE. I’M CHARMED.

Everyone said it. Everyone in the whole world agreed: this book is lovable as hell. Everyone stated, in unison, “It is impossible not to fall in love with A Man Called Ove.”

I, the queen of unpopular opinions (yes people definitely call me that, and not just me, in an attempt to get people to think it’s a nickname and start using it), thought I knew better.

I did not know better.

This book sneaks right into your heart. Even if you think you have a heart of stone, surrounded by a t
Matthew
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent heartwarming and humorous book. Basically, a series of short stories about a man called Ove that all combine together into an awesome all-encompassing storyline.

Ove is a grumpy old man who has a cynical approach to everything. But, how he got this way, combined with the relationships he "accidentally" develops lead to a lot of unexpected twists and turns.

One of the things I loved about this book is that seemingly serious situations end up hilarious, while scenes that seem to
Carol
OMGOSH, what a wonderful novel! I now have my first super-favorite of 2015!

This is a story of the deep and everlasting love of a contrary 59 year old man who struggles each and every day to cope with the pain and loss of the only person who ever understood him, and the never-ending guilt of not preventing a horrible tragedy.

It is also a comical and entertaining account of A Man Called Ove and his peculiar ways....an honest man with strict principles who abhors "the men in white shirts" that have

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I laughed. I cried.
If you want a contemporary that will warm you up inside this is the one you should read.
It also gave me some strong vibes of the movie Gran Torino!

4 or 5 stars I'm not sure yet!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

OMG! I love this book! I have laughed until I thought I was going to stroke out! Ove is a character everyone should read about. I would love to meet someone like Ove! He just tells it like it is and doesn't give a crap what anyone thinks!

I loved every little thing about this book! I only wish I would have started it sooner. It sat in my stacks for a few weeks.

There are some really sad things in the book and I was crying at the end but there are mostly funny and touching things in the book. You
jessica
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh, the feels! this story is charming, heartwarming and touching. it is not surprising this book has received so much praise and attention.

this is the book that made me fall in love with fredrik backman as a storyteller. he has crafted a story that undeniably tugs at your soul and causes your heart to double in size. it was such a delight to watch ove learn how to love his life and those around him.

this is everything you could want from a feel-good story and more!

Julie
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman is a 2014 Atria publication.

After I read ‘Britt-Marie Was Here’ and really enjoyed it, my Goodreads friends strongly recommended this book, and were positive I would love it. I vowed to fit the book in as quickly as possible, and was thankful my library had a copy and the wait list wasn’t monstrous.

I have no idea where to begin! This an amazing story, with the most interesting characters, humorous and emotional situations. The writing is unusual, with presen
Luffy
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! So down to earth, so wacky, so funny, and so maudlin. The end was unexpected and it's worth reading the entire book by itself. The book is less than 350 pages long and it reads like a page turner.

Ove is a militaristic sort of guy. He is so since quite a long time, but is it only a trait on the surface? Underneath that hard exterior is a sad and lonely guy. The author, Fredrik Backman's treatment of Ove's arc is brilliant. Ove, like most memorable characters, has an arc, where
Snotchocheez

I've read all my GR friends' wildly divergent reviews of Fredrik Backman's debut novel A Man Called Ove and can find something to agree with in each of them. Nods to those who enjoyed the comedy of errors. Nods to the ailurophiles who despised Ove's treatment of the cat. Nods to those who couldn't get enough of Ove's archetypal curmudgeonly character. Nods to those who found Ove's transformation from hating the world to being a reluctant hero an unlikely and transparently feel-good-y a
James
Why This Book
I run a monthly poll on the ThisIsMyTruthNow blog via my Book Bucket List. Followers get to choose from a list of the twelve books I own and want to read in the near future. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman was selected as the book I should read in March 2018. I added it to the list because I really enjoyed his novel, Beartown, and thought this was the next logical step. A good friend of mine was interested in reading the novel, too, so we made this a buddy read. I'm so excit
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Kelly (and the Book Boar)
I've always had a thing for grumpy old men.

Not in a pervy way you nut job! I've always favored them in real life because probably I'm one of those people who tolerate little bullshit and they fit that for me.

Plus most of them really don't like people.

Ove is my kind of people. He comes across as a pretty big curmudgeon. All he wants to do is commit suicide. People won't leave him alone long enough to do it. He misses his outgoing wife and doesn't think he has much to live for.
Then the neighbo
Mandy
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mischenko
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read. Many emotions here. We'll written. *((Wow!))* I could read it all over again!
Maureen
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm probably going to be crying about this book forever.

There are so many things to love in this book. It's a story about an old crotchety man unwillingly being thrust into friendships that change his life, as well as a bit about his past too. There's really nothing I didn't love about this book. It had me laughing one minute and tearing up the next, and by the end I was bawling.

I also listened to the audiobook which was SO GOOOOD.
Hannah Greendale

Ove is a surly man who keeps to himself. He cares about rules, routine, and being left alone to go about his business. His quiet life is upended by chatty new neighbors who flatten his mailbox, drive over his flowerbed, and insert themselves into his house and his life with careless disregard for his needs. Though Ove prefers to be free of their nuisance interruptions, they’re the first of many whose lives
Algernon (Darth Anyan)

A man named Ove knocked on my door and asked if I have space on my shelves for a stray book about an angry, bitter, contrarian, (view spoiler) old man. I hesitated for a second, thinking I don't need to get more depressed than I already am, but then I took another look at his wooden clogs, his out-of-fashion clothes and frowning brow, and decided: "What the heck! I'll give it a try! I'll read a couple of chapters and see how I feel about it."

Ove is fifty-nine.
He drives
Jen
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alright. This book pissed me off. It took far too much time to get some traction. I lost my buddy along the way and was tempted to join her, if not for some rave reviews. So, I persevered. And then I was no longer pissed off at Backman or Ove. I rather got a little sentimental even, by the end of it.

Ove is a grumpy old man (he's only 59 but you would think he was ancient). He's an introvert who has lost his wife which translates to he has lost his life. His mission is to commit suicide to be rec
ALL IS LOVE : next book ideas ? - May - June 2019 7 6 Jun 23, 2019 12:54PM
Who do you think would be the best actor to play Ove? 84 346 Jun 20, 2019 10:04AM
Eclectic Readers: Episode 50: A Man Called Ove 1 2 Jun 09, 2019 12:29PM
Eclectic Readers: A Man Called Ove 1 2 Jun 09, 2019 11:38AM
Eclectic Readers: A Man Called Ove 1 2 Jun 09, 2019 11:38AM
Play Book Tag: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman-3.5 Stars 1 11 May 31, 2019 10:14PM

• Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The Rent Collector
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Running Barefoot
  • An Irish Country Doctor (Irish Country #1)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • A Fall of Marigolds
  • Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
  • Mudbound
  • The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
  • The Language of Flowers
  • Anna Karenina
  • White Oleander
  • The Life We Bury (Joe Talbert, #1; Max Rupert, #1)
  • Sjukdomen (Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar, #2)
Fredrik Backman is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove (soon to be a major motion picture starring Tom Hanks), My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry, Britt-Marie Was Here, Beartown, Us Against You, as well as two novellas, And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer and The Deal of a Lifetime. Things My Son Needs to Know About the World, his first work ...more
“People said Ove saw the world in black and white. But she was color. All the color he had.” 863 likes
“To love someone is like moving into a house," Sonja used to say. "At first you fall in love in everything new, you wonder every morning that this is one's own, as if they are afraid that someone will suddenly come tumbling through the door and say that there has been a serious mistake and that it simply was not meant to would live so fine. But as the years go by, the facade worn, the wood cracks here and there, and you start to love this house not so much for all the ways it is perfect in that for all the ways it is not. You become familiar with all its nooks and crannies. How to avoid that the key gets stuck in the lock if it is cold outside. Which floorboards have some give when you step on them, and exactly how to open the doors for them not to creak. That's it, all the little secrets that make it your home.” 788 likes