Start by marking “Gloria Takes a Stand: How Gloria Steinem Listened, Wrote, and Changed the World” as Want to Read:
Gloria Takes a Stand: How Gloria Steinem Listened, Wrote, and Changed the World

Gloria Takes a Stand: How Gloria Steinem Listened, Wrote, and Changed the World

Bloomsbury has acquired world rights to Jessica Rinker's debut picture book What Gloria Heard, a biography of Gloria Steinem, to be illustrated by Daria Peoples. Publication is scheduled for winter 2019, in time for Women's History Month and Steinem's 85th birthday.
Published March 12th 2019 by Bloomsbury Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Gloria Takes a Stand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gloria Takes a Stand

Sophia Gholz
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author Jessica Rinker masterfully captures the story of women’s rights leader Gloria Steinem. Gloria watches, wishes, learns and, most of all, she dreams. Gloria dreams of a world where people are “linked not ranked” and all have equal rights. Rinker invites the reader to take an inspiring trip through history, where they too will watch, learn, and dream. Gloria Takes a Stand includes intriguing back matter and is a must-read for people of all ages.
Amanda Sanders
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This biography describes Gloria Steinem with lots of verbs. This is a great way to talk about a woman of action. It is also lyrical in the way it combines 3 different verbs to draw attention to specific things Gloria has done throughout. That is also a great way to write about a writer. I really enjoyed this children's bio.
Caroline
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This boldly illustrated book will introduce generations of children to an iconic figure in the women's movement, and remind us all to listen, to dream, to speak.
Heather Weirich
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A necessary book for today’s youth. An important reminder to us all to listen, stand up and speak out.
This book will inspire us all to ask more questions, seek truth, and continue to fight for equal rights, equal standing and an equal voice in all aspects of life. A brilliant book that made my heart sing!
Beautiful illustrations by Daria Peoples-Riley.
I can’t wait to read more from Jessica M. Rinker.

Joe McGee
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Writing a complete and compelling story in a picture book is a challenge to begin with, but trying to deliver an honest and interesting story of a person’s entire life? That is something else entirely. Yet, Jessica Rinker manages to not only give the reader a wonderful view of the feminist icon, Gloria Steinem, but also deftly illustrates the civil rights movement, the amazing activists who worked with her and who she learned from, and subtly offer a call to action in a time when it is much need ...more
Lisa
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even as a little girl, Gloria Steinem knew what she wanted and wasn't going to do things any other way. From attending college when most women weren't allowed, to being a driving force in the women's libration movement, Steinem stood up for what she believed, and spoke out. She believed women and people of color should be "linked not ranked," she started Ms. Magazine and spoke all over about making life more fair for everyone. She listened, she acted, things changed.

Steinem is an icon, and this
Susan Lubner
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
An important, well written, beautifully illustrated biography about one of the world’s most iconic leaders and champion for women’s rights.
Julia Panebianco
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life
Awards: none

Grade levels: 3rd grade-5th grade

Summary: "Gloria Takes a Stand" tells the story of Gloria Steinem's life and how she joined the women's liberation movement to fight for equal rights. She had to help her family with their business and was restricted to go to school, because she was a female. Gloria set out to change that and fought for women's rights. She encouraged a new generation of feminists to stand up and demand equal rights for all people.

Review: This is a wonderful book to re
Laurie Wallmark
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to the life of Gloria Steinem, who worked tirelessly for the rights for all women.
Mandy Stallard
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookposse
I just read this book with my five-year-old daughter, and it sparked lots of important conversations. We even got a little side-tracked and watched some recordings of Martin Luther King, Jr. Definitely planning to add this to my library’s collection.
Steve Tetreault
What it’s about: This is a nonfiction picture book about feminist icon Gloria Steinem. It follows her from childhood to adulthood, pointing out important moments on her path to becoming an important historical figure.

What I thought: I appreciated that this book went out of its way to point out that as important as Steinem was, she did not work alone, or in a vacuum. The author makes sure to include nods to other important figures with whom Steinem worked.

I also liked that the afterword provide
Jana
This interesting picture book biography tells young readers about the life of Gloria Steinem, who was a champion for women's rights. Growing up during a time when women were discouraged from going to school, having careers, and being independent, Steinem broke all of the conventional rules. This book uses easy-to-understand narrative text and beautiful artwork to share how Steinem blazed a trail for women today. The book includes author's notes, timeline information, and resources for further st ...more
Edward Sullivan
Good introduction to the feminist leader and women's rights activist.
Kelly
It was okay. I liked that the story was succinct.
Samantha
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite. The illustrations aren't a style I respond to well, and the text wasn't my favorite either. I definitely think a biography of Steinem is needed, this just isn't the one for me.
Trevor
A decent short introduction to this feminist icon. But with unfortunately poor illustrations.
A
May 28, 2019
Erica George
Mar 12, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Jessica Rinker's debut picture book biography, GLORIA TAKES A STAND, comes out March 12, 2019 from Bloomsbury Children's Books.

Jess also writes middle grade and her debut novel THE DARE SISTERS comes out Fall 2020 and Fall 2021 from Macmillan/Imprint.

Jess got her MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts and works for Wild River Publishing as a developmental