Start by marking “Gloria Takes a Stand: How Gloria Steinem Listened, Wrote, and Changed the World” as Want to Read:
Gloria Takes a Stand: How Gloria Steinem Listened, Wrote, and Changed the World

Gloria Takes a Stand: How Gloria Steinem Listened, Wrote, and Changed the World

Bloomsbury has acquired world rights to Jessica Rinker's debut picture book What Gloria Heard, a biography of Gloria Steinem, to be illustrated by Daria Peoples. Publication is scheduled for winter 2019, in time for Women's History Month and Steinem's 85th birthday.
Published March 12th 2019 by Bloomsbury Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Gloria Takes a Stand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gloria Takes a Stand

Start your review of Gloria Takes a Stand: How Gloria Steinem Listened, Wrote, and Changed the World
Sophia Gholz
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author Jessica Rinker masterfully captures the story of women’s rights leader Gloria Steinem. Gloria watches, wishes, learns and, most of all, she dreams. Gloria dreams of a world where people are “linked not ranked” and all have equal rights. Rinker invites the reader to take an inspiring trip through history, where they too will watch, learn, and dream. Gloria Takes a Stand includes intriguing back matter and is a must-read for people of all ages.
Amanda Sanders
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This biography describes Gloria Steinem with lots of verbs. This is a great way to talk about a woman of action. It is also lyrical in the way it combines 3 different verbs to draw attention to specific things Gloria has done throughout. That is also a great way to write about a writer. I really enjoyed this children's bio.
Caroline
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This boldly illustrated book will introduce generations of children to an iconic figure in the women's movement, and remind us all to listen, to dream, to speak.
Shaye Miller
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This nonfiction biography is about the work of Gloria Steinem to kickstart the women's lib movement. She was/is diligent and never gave up hope on a future where life would offer equal opportunities to women. The back matter contains an author's note, an illustrator's note, a timeline, and a bibliography. The artwork in this book was created with black sumi ink, gouache, and watercolor on paper, and then digitally composited in Photoshop.

For more children's literature, middle grade literature, a
Steve Tetreault
What it’s about: This is a nonfiction picture book about feminist icon Gloria Steinem. It follows her from childhood to adulthood, pointing out important moments on her path to becoming an important historical figure.

What I thought: I appreciated that this book went out of its way to point out that as important as Steinem was, she did not work alone, or in a vacuum. The author makes sure to include nods to other important figures with whom Steinem worked.

I also liked that the afterword provide
Heather Weirich
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A necessary book for today’s youth. An important reminder to us all to listen, stand up and speak out.
This book will inspire us all to ask more questions, seek truth, and continue to fight for equal rights, equal standing and an equal voice in all aspects of life. A brilliant book that made my heart sing!
Beautiful illustrations by Daria Peoples-Riley.
I can’t wait to read more from Jessica M. Rinker.

Joe McGee
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Writing a complete and compelling story in a picture book is a challenge to begin with, but trying to deliver an honest and interesting story of a person’s entire life? That is something else entirely. Yet, Jessica Rinker manages to not only give the reader a wonderful view of the feminist icon, Gloria Steinem, but also deftly illustrates the civil rights movement, the amazing activists who worked with her and who she learned from, and subtly offer a call to action in a time when it is much need ...more
Martha
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-3-biography
Reading about Gloria's childhood so clearly described, gives perspective to her later ground breaking decisions in life. Raised as an only child with parents who appreciated her independent thinking, Gloria was encouraged to follow her own path. She resisted getting married early, the expectation for women in the 1950s. Raised by a mother who knew the power of education, Gloria went to college, then traveled to countries, such as India, that respected the strength of women gathering together to ...more
Lisa
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even as a little girl, Gloria Steinem knew what she wanted and wasn't going to do things any other way. From attending college when most women weren't allowed, to being a driving force in the women's libration movement, Steinem stood up for what she believed, and spoke out. She believed women and people of color should be "linked not ranked," she started Ms. Magazine and spoke all over about making life more fair for everyone. She listened, she acted, things changed.

Steinem is an icon, and this
Susan Lubner
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
An important, well written, beautifully illustrated biography about one of the world’s most iconic leaders and champion for women’s rights.
Julia Panebianco
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life
Awards: none

Grade levels: 3rd grade-5th grade

Summary: "Gloria Takes a Stand" tells the story of Gloria Steinem's life and how she joined the women's liberation movement to fight for equal rights. She had to help her family with their business and was restricted to go to school, because she was a female. Gloria set out to change that and fought for women's rights. She encouraged a new generation of feminists to stand up and demand equal rights for all people.

Review: This is a wonderful book to re
Laurie Wallmark
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to the life of Gloria Steinem, who worked tirelessly for the rights for all women.
Mandy Stallard
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookposse
I just read this book with my five-year-old daughter, and it sparked lots of important conversations. We even got a little side-tracked and watched some recordings of Martin Luther King, Jr. Definitely planning to add this to my library’s collection.
Jana
This interesting picture book biography tells young readers about the life of Gloria Steinem, who was a champion for women's rights. Growing up during a time when women were discouraged from going to school, having careers, and being independent, Steinem broke all of the conventional rules. This book uses easy-to-understand narrative text and beautiful artwork to share how Steinem blazed a trail for women today. The book includes author's notes, timeline information, and resources for further st ...more
Edward Sullivan
Good introduction to the feminist leader and women's rights activist.
Ben Truong
Gloria Takes a Stand: How Gloria Steinem Listened, Wrote, and Changed the World is a children's picture book written by Jessica Rinker and illustrated by Daria Peoples-Riley. It is a biographical picture book about a tribute to feminist icon, activist, and writer – Gloria Steinem.

March, at least in my part of the world is Women's History Month, which I plan to read one children's book, particularly a biography, which pertains to the subject everyday this month. Therefore, I thought that this boo
Tracyesine
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I love Gloria Steinem, and this isn't a bad little book about her. I think I'm a little hard on it because I just finished My Life On the Road, and I can see how this author seems to have taken an overview of that and asked an illustrator to help her turn it into a children's book.

It's average and fine and I'm always glad when there are children's books about feminism that don't begin and end with Susan B. Anthony (who was awesome, but not alone and not the last). However, I didn't get an enormo
Amy
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This picture book biography of activist Gloria Steinem chronicles her life and work in way that is accessible for children. Every few pages, a rhythmic refrain (of sorts) of three simple sentences summarizes that phase in Steinem’s life. A brief look at Steinem’s childhood and education is followed by a closer look at her work in establishing Ms. magazine and fighting for equal rights. Direct quotes are throughout the text and backmatter provides further sources and a timeline. Mixed media illus ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Gloria Takes a Stand: How Gloria Steinem Listened, Wrote, and Changed the World by Jessica M. Rinker, illustrated by Daria Peoples-Riley PICTURE BOOK, BIOGRAPHY Bloomsbury 2019 $17.99. 9781681196763

BUYING ADVISORY EL, MS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE
Teresa
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve long heard of Gloria Steinem, but I knew almost nothing about her. This picture book is a terrific way to learn about what led to Gloria being a part of the revolution for women’s rights. It distills her story into a manageable read and yet does not dullen any important parts. I recommend this inspiring book.
Miss Sarah
An elementary and up picture book biography of civil rights activist Gloria Steinem showcasing her strategy of listening to people before trying to change things. Her focus was on rights for females.
Kelly
It was okay. I liked that the story was succinct.
Samantha
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite. The illustrations aren't a style I respond to well, and the text wasn't my favorite either. I definitely think a biography of Steinem is needed, this just isn't the one for me.
Melinda Bender
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chronicles the struggle women activists went through, like Gloria Steinem to achieve the freedom women in the U.S.A. have today. Inspiring story for young girls.
Leslie
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had the opportunity to hear Gloria Steinem speak recently and she was amazing!
Trevor
A decent short introduction to this feminist icon. But with unfortunately poor illustrations.
Deidre
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this more than I thought I would, the cover doesn't really do it justice. The illustrations are actually really great.
Leslie Morrison
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adore Gloria Steinem, and I was so excited to introduce her to my children. All three kids were completely absorbed in this beautiful book. 😊
Alexis
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book made me want to get out and change the world. Jessica Rinker did a fantastic job of detailing Gloria's life in a way that made me see how strong she was from the start, yet how she also grew through her life experiences. I knew very little of Gloria and now I want to know more. I also thought the illustrations by Daria were absolutely beautiful. They felt artistic and captured the elements of the story wonderfully. I definitely would recommend this book and I thank Jessica for sending ...more
Nick
Nov 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Undefeated
  • P.S. Be Eleven (Gaither Sisters, #2)
  • Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
  • A Computer Called Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Helped Put America on the Moon
  • Another
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • It Began with a Page: How Gyo Fujikawa Drew the Way
  • Superheroes Are Everywhere
  • Mary Wears What She Wants
  • Just Like Rube Goldberg: The Incredible True Story of the Man Behind the Machines
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • I Wonder
Jessica Rinker is also known as Jess Rinker.

Jessica Rinker's debut picture book biography, GLORIA TAKES A STAND, comes out March 12, 2019 from Bloomsbury Children's Books.

Jess also writes middle grade and her debut novel THE DARE SISTERS comes out Fall 2020 and Fall 2021 from Macmillan/Imprint.

Jess got her MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts and works

News & Interviews