Start by marking “Forsaken (The Exiled Crown #1)” as Want to Read:
Forsaken (The Exiled Crown #1)

Forsaken

(The Exiled Crown #1)

When a village is attacked by brigands, a vagrant princess takes it upon herself to see that justice is done at the point of a bloody sword. Forsaken is the first tale of The Exiled Crown, an ongoing short story series.

To ask other readers questions about Forsaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forsaken

Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

With Forsaken, Eric S. Fomley pens an ultra fast-paced story introducing his Princess of Grimdark: Ayla. This badass heroine leaping off the pages at you, ready to rip out your throat with her bare hands. Her brutal presence and shadowy past instantly inspiring a deep desire to know more, More, MORE!

Be warned though, this first installment is very, very brief; a quick glimpse into Ayla’s brutal world, where intense combat and bloody death can happen any second.
Nimrod Daniel
It was a nice fast-paced story about a highly capable vagrant princess who seeks to bring justice. The short story was nice and the writing is quite good, but feels more like a prologue, so I can’t say too much about it. When I finished reading I felt like “ok, and now what ?”.

I’m not sure this marketing model of releasing a series of short stories is the right one. Selling it as a collection of few short stories might work better.
As for the narrator – he’s ok, not more than that.

3.5/5

I got the
Goran Lowie
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story, fantasy
I quite like it! Although it's very short, it quickly manages to introduce you to Ayla, while giving glimpses of the world she inhabits. The fight scene was well-written. The only complain I can make is that it should've been longer!
Laura Hughes
Short and sweetly brutal, 'Forsaken' is the first in a (hopefully) long series of short stories about Ayla, a vagrant princess.

Fomley's tale is a solid, fast-paced introduction to a grimdark world populated by villains and their victims... and a badass, no-nonsense protagonist on a mission to save the latter by kicking the former's arses.

The writing is simple and to-the-point, and 'Forsaken' can be easily read in one sitting. Fans of grimdark fantasy will love this!
Alex S. Bradshaw
I enjoyed this for what feels like a short story to set off a serialised story, it definitely feels like the beginning of a grand, dark adventure.

It was an enjoyable read with lots of action and decent characters; I think that my main complaint about it is that is very short. It is billed as the start of a series of short stories so that's fine but as I'm not subscribed to 'Kindle Unlimited' I did feel that the price was a bit much for something that's about 12 pages long. If the author release
Kristen
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
(A bigger, prettier version of this review is here, on my blog.)

This is a short one. It's only 14 minutes long, but about half of that is literally this one vagrant princess just fucking slaying some bitches. So, it's short but it was quite an enjoyable 14 minutes of my time.

Quite a fast paced, bloody, and action-packed 14 minutes that introduced one Ayla, princess of... Echor? Ichor? Which is a kingdom far away.

My one criticism here is that this would have benefited about 100% from having a f
Eric Fomley
Feb 16, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I won't review my own work, but I will use this space to introduce Forsaken to you. If you like very short fiction, especially episodic short fiction, then I would encourage you to give The Exiled Crown series a try. I have several short stories planned for the vagrant princess of Ekor and I hope that you will join me along the way. As always, thank you so much for your time.
Frank Dorrian
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An uber-short piece of gristly grimdark flash-fiction by Eric Fomley, and while I'm not normally one for short stories (my read history will point you in the general direction of the sprawling tomes I usually drift towards) I was very, very impressed by Forsaken. Consider me swayed to Team Short Story!

Eric's first installment in what I'm hoping will be a long series is like a short, sharp shock, a lightning bolt of action, violence and bloodshed where the reader is thrust right into the middle o
Dionne
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was really good listening. I listened to it at least four times and never got tired of it. I especially like Aya. She was a great main character and I was looking forward to reading more about her. Ah well, that's life I guess.

The setting suited her and she was really very brave, I think. I loved her!
The Grim Reader
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Flash fiction Grimdark!

A nice short (very short, actually) slice of Grimdark. A female warrior comes across a savage sacking of a village by a group of Bonemen. Taking it upon herself to free the children the Bonemen have taken, our warrior bites off a bit more than she can chew but is fortunately aided by another prisoner and a new friendship is born.
A little on the short side but a bloody little tale featuring a strong female lead I'd like to read more from.
David
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty good story, despite being very short. The fight scene was great and Ayla looks like an interesting character, with whom I might sympathize . I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next stories in the series.
L.K. Evans
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
So this was another short story I devoured in what felt like 5 minutes. It’s only 30 pages, so that might’ve been the case.

It’s basically about Ayla—a Princess but not the Disney kind—rescuing a group of children from slavers. It’s a quick introduction to her character, and a hello from a secondary character that I imagine will have a bigger role in upcoming books.

With this being so singularly focused and short, I think I’d be hard pressed not to like it. We’ve got a kickass female character. Sh
Kelly
Mike
Ann-Iren
vaderbird
Goodreads Authors...: Free Audible Book and or Ebook 8 24 Apr 25, 2017 06:56AM

The Exiled Crown (2 books)
  • Storm Witch (The Exiled Crown #2)