Start by marking “Blitz” as Want to Read:
Blitz

Blitz

Children's Book, Fictional Novel
Published by Houghton Mifflin (Weekly Reader) (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Blitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blitz

Clare O'Beara
This book is like Smoky in being an American version of Black Beauty, in this case set in a town where a fire engine is pulled by horses. Blitz is a handsome red bay who does his best to rush to the fires with his partner horse and a kind owner.
We learn a lot about historical issues such as how fire fighting was organised with a chemical wagon, water pump wagon and a ladder and hook wagon, in that order, being sent.

Sadly after an accident Blitz is sold and his life goes badly downhill. The ill
L.M. Ransom
I remember reading this book when I pretty young. I believe my grandma had a copy of it, a soft cover with a different illustration. My hubby bought the hard cover copy for me for Christmas this year, and I was excited to read it again.

It's a great story, about a beautiful red bay horse that learns to pull a fire engine. He is in an unfortunate accident, and sold. Lame because of the accident, he falls into the hands of a miserly bitter old man who feeds him nothing but junk hay and whips him wh
Joshua Centanni
Enjoyed this more as a kid. Critical scholars who read this will note textual eccentricities that raise questions about authorship.
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
This was one of those books that I read until both front and back covers fell off and the pages were worn uneven and loose in their bindings.

I will have to reread it at some point to have an adult opinion on the book, but at around age 8-10 I loved the book.
Alaine
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my all time favourite book as a child. I remember hiding under the covers reading with a torch until Mum caught me so the next morning I woke up as soon as the sun came up so I could keep reading the story. It was so sad I was crying really hard when Mum got up a few hours later. She got cranky with me for reading books that made me sad. But I loved the story and I still remember most of it.
J.J.
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my FAVOURITE horse book as a little girl, but it's hard to find a copy nowadays - mad props to my bro for finding me one a few years back! Even twenty-someodd years later I still remember almost the entire plotline to a tee!
Nicole Rubano
Nov 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was one of my favorite books as a kid
Hildegart
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses
This is a great book! I misplaced my first copy so when I saw another copy in a thrift store, I bought it! Now I have two copies for my bookshelves- can't go wrong with that!!
John Krafty
I read this book in grade school and it still stays with me. A heartwarming story of an abused horse who comes across a lonely child and they become "friends".
Sherri Keller
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, favourites
This was one of my favourite books growing up. I must have read it at least a hundred times at our cottage.
Sandy
I think I read it at least 17 times... me and horses when I was young... dreams that did not pass until I was an adult... sweet, wonderful horse-story read.
Suzi
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book when I was young - I read it sooo many times!!
Sharon Brown
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to Sharon by: A Teacher
As a kid, I read this book a Hundred times. It is my all time favorite childs book. I am old now, I just remember a child who saved a severely abused horse from going to slaughter for 5 dollars, once He nursed it back to health and gained the Horses trust, he found the Horse was still young. The Father is AWESOME in this, as He helps teach his boy how to care for a living thing, an animal who when I was a kid, was thought by the older generations to not have feelings and "It" was suppose to Prod ...more
Nancy
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three stars for the book itself, fourth star added for pure nostalgia. The overall plot is familiar: horse has terrific upbringing, owner forced to sell horse to Bad Folk(TM), horse is abused, horse becomes mean, horse is rescued by Good Folk(TM), horse recovers. It's similar to both Smoky the Cow Horse and Black Beauty (though Black Beauty is told from the POV of the horse himself.) If you love those two books, and don't mind a story hung on a similar frame, then you'll love this. I'm guessing ...more
Linda
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses
I found this well-read paperback at a garage sale, and it's one of the few horse books that I hadn't read growing up. It's absolutely wonderful. Besides being a good horse book, it's also interesting historical fiction, taking place during the time when horses still pulled equipment to put out fires. A perfect middle grade read, and I even blinked back a few tears. Really good book!
Olivia
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a heartfelt story of kindness and gentleness.
Tara Choate
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a child and when I picked it up the other day, it was just as good.
Rena Sherwood
It's an American version of Black Beauty, but it is very good. Great illustrations, lots of action, a nice dog and much shorter and more understandable to 21st century readers than Black Beauty.
Maya
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is the book that sealed my love for horses.
Claire
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-reads
Read it for school, thought it was good.
K.J. Klemme
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another childhood book that I loved enough to hunt down again.
Stef
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book when I was in 4th grade and loving it.
Ellen Nelson
May 20, 2015
Tbird_74yahoo.com
Sep 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Beatty was born in New Canaan, Connecticut. From 1924 until 1929 she attended the Boston Museum School. She trained as a sculptor. Frederick W. Allen was the daily instructor at that time with Charles Grafly coming up from Philadelphia twice a month to give criticisms as head of the Sculpture Department.

Her works were exhibited nationally and won a number of awards. A one-woman show of her sculptu