Start by marking “Beneath a Burning Sky” as Want to Read:
Beneath a Burning Sky

Beneath a Burning Sky

'Exotic and mysterious - I was gripped by this complex tale'
Dinah Jefferies, author of number one bestselling The Tea Planter's Wife

A beautiful and heart-wrenching story of love and betrayal, set against a backdrop of British-occupied Egypt. Perfect for fans of Victoria Hislop, Dinah Jefferies and Leah Fleming.

When 22-year-old Olivia is coerced into marriage by th/>A
Published June 29th 2017 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about Beneath a Burning Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath a Burning Sky

Pouting Always
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Olivia's grandmother and her now husband Alistair conspired together to manipulate Olivia into marrying Alistair. Alistair's had originally coveted Olivia's sister, Clara, who ended up marrying his business partner. Though living with Alistair's daily abuse is draining, Olivia relishes being reunited with her sister Clara, whom she hasn't seen since they were children. Clara who is also living in Egypt sees Olivia often and tries to remind her of their childhood in Egypt, before their parents ha ...more
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

Back to Alexandria as a married woman after many years, Olivia encounters again the beloved sister she left behind as a little girl, and while the renewed relationship with Clara represents a glimmer of light in a desolating new life, the cruelty of the abusive husband who was imposed on her right before sailing from England is destroying any hope she might have harboured for a better future. Then the chance at happiness unexpectedly comes along with Captain Edward Bertram, but the clandestine f
Pauline
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I enjoyed Beneath a Burning Sky by Jenny Ashcroft. This was a romantic story with plenty of mystery and suspense, set in Egypt in the late 1800s.
I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Dash fan
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
5☆ Enchanting, Captivating, Page turner, Full of Mystery and Charm!

A beautiful first debut novel for Jenny Ashcroft.

Beneath a Burning Sky is a beautifully written story about love, romance, mystery, passion, secrets, intrigue its a beautiful historical fiction.

Beneath a Burning Sky is set in Egypt.
Egypt is one of my bucket list places to visit. So much rich history and character.
Jenny did not let me down on the descriptive encounters of Egypt and is beautiful
Jules
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Although I read this to the end and enjoyed parts of the story, it wasn’t really what I was expecting. I went into it thinking I was going to experience atmospheric historical fiction, but it felt more like a dramatic romance with love, lies and revenge.

Having been to Egypt twice many years ago, I was attracted to this book by its location. Unfortunately I didn’t feel this book brought Egypt to life with the intensity I’d hoped. It lacked the magic of exotic surroundings I was hoping
Agi
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 2017-releases

"Beneath a Burning Sky" is Jenny Ashcroft's debut novel, and boy, what a great debut it was! Gently and beautifully written, full of mysteries, romances, love, hate and intrigue, with characters that you are rooting for, mixing historical fiction, romance and mystery. It is full of hidden passion and intrigues and it truly surprised me in a very positive way - I'll be honest, I haven't expected it to be so good.

The characters are better than good. You love them or you hate to love them, but eve
Drew Irons
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
The missus said I should read this book. I judged it by its cover thinking it wasn't really my kind of thing. But, oh my, what a book! The writing is incredible and the pace is addictive but it's the characters that really pull you in. When was the last time you read a book and the characters stayed with you for weeks afterwards? Even the characters you're meant to hate, you still want to hit them long after they are out of your life. Olivia is a wonderful leading character, feisty and independe ...more
Kerry Fisher
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's so much packed into this book. The sensuous descriptions of Egypt and what it was like to live there as an expat in the 1890s. The brutality of a marriage - God, how I hated Alistair and wished curses upon him. The who/how/what of Clara's disappearance. And that love story. My, what a love story. Edward is possibly the most charming romantic hero I've come across in fiction. I kept wanting to cheer every time he came into the story. I loved Olivia - the gorgeous feistiness of a woman who ...more
Helen
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Beneath a Burning Sky" is Jenny Ashcroft's debut novel, and what a debut it was! Initially I was interested in this book because it takes place in Egypt and I love to learn about this ancient place - fact or fiction. This story was set mostly in Alexandria during the end of the 19th century, when Egypt was still under British rule. Not really knowing what to expect from a debut, I was transported to another place and time in this beautifully written tale.

Jenny Ashcroft has writte
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews on www.snazybooks.com

Beneath a Burning Sky is set in British occupied Egypt towards the end of the 19th century, and this country is a place I’d love to visit. I was excited to read about Alexandria during such an interesting time politically. One thing I discovered as I read on, however, is that the book is definitely more of a love story mixed with a touch of mystery and drama, rather than all about the country at that time. Obviously you get a sense of time and place from Jenny Ashcroft’s lovely
Louise
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written novel, full of adventure, mystery, romance and intrigue. I was swept up in this story, fittingly set in the sweltering and oppressive heat of late 19th century Egypt. I was rooting for the protagonist Olivia, and found this novel hard to put down. I'll be looking out for Jenny Ashcroft's next novel, it will be interesting to see what she comes up with next. Highly recommended if you like history, romance and mystery.
Andrea
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I have been immersed in this fabulous story of mystery, intrigue and romance. I can thoroughly recommend this book. I felt like I was there in 1891 Alexandria watching the story unfold. Excellent!
Ashley (BooksViaAshley)
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the publisher and the author for this opportunity!

I was initially interested in this book because it takes place in Egypt, and I'm a huge fan of all things Egypt! It takes place in Alexandria, during the end of the 19th century, when Egypt was still under British rule.

I had no expectations going in, and I was pleasantly surprised to find a beautiful, rich, historical mystery and love story. The writing is b
Rachel Burton
Every once in a while a book comes along that is so good you wonder how you will ever read anything else again. You question the quality of your own books. You get shivers every time you think about it. You can't drag yourself out of that world. You are good for nothing until you finish it. This is one of those books.

Jenny Ashcroft writes exquisitely, evoking every possible emotion and transporting you to late Victorian Egypt. This is so much more than historical fiction though; there's mystery
Michael Cayley
This is a melodramatic story set in Egypt under British rule at the end of the 19th century. Olivia, trapped in a marriage not of her choosing to a cruel man, Alistair, rediscovers the sister, Clara, from whom she was separated in childhood following the death of their parents. And then Clara disappears, leasing to an ineffectual police investigation and twist after twist in the plot. My problems with the book started early on, when I found the circumstances in which the sisters were separated, ...more
Carole (in Canada)
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fiction, Historical Romance -Victorian
My Rating: 3.5* rounded up to 4*

Traumatized by being torn from her older sister at the age of eight years old (after the death of their parents) by their bitter and controlling grandmother, Olivia is forced into a boarding school run by nuns. Before she comes of age, she is manipulated into marrying Alistair Sheldon, a wealthy cotton owner who is also cruel and controlling. He has his own agenda for marrying Olivia and it is not for the love of her. The only bright spot in the marria
Gill
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An evocative period mystery full of suspense, love, and superb historical detail. All the way through you’re rooting for Olivia, the main character. She’s experienced a terrible childhood and has just moved out to Egypt to be with her new husband - a sadistic and violent, embittered female-loathing individual who wanted to marry her sister!

Olivia is reunited with her long lost sister when she moves to Egypt and hopes to find some happiness at last, but then her sister mysteriously va
Mystica
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olivia and Clara two sisters, separated at a very young age due to the death of their parents. One brought up by a grandmother determined to keep the two girls apart. It was a maneuvered coincidence that brought them together in colonial Egypt, both brought to this country of their birth by marriage. One marriage seemingly happy, the other brutal, painful and abusive of the most horrific.

The setting for the story was excellent. England again in colonizing mode trying to hold this dis
Jeanette
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This must be one of the best novels that I have read in a long time. It was one of those novels that I had no desire to rush, as I was enjoying to much to do so. I never guessed from one page to the next, what would happen. So many twists! Even the ending didn't quite turn out how I expected it to. I will not write what the story is about for fear of spoiling for others, but I do highly recommend.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers. This is my honest review.
Alicia Hope
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most enjoyable, well written story - my internal editor hardly kicked in at all! :)
Maree
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous debut novel. It's not often I get lost inside a book but I did with this one.
Hannah (Sakurahan or ForeverBooks18)
Annette
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical romance set in colonial Egypt in the 1890s, this novel is also full of intrigue and mystery with a complicated plot that keeps the reader guessing right until the end.
Olivia, a young 22 year old orphan, is married to the despicable Alistair. She lives in Alexandria near her elder sister Clara from whom she has been separated for many years by their spiteful Grandmother. Clara is married to Jeremy, Alistair's business partner and they have two young children.
Stuck in a loveless
Margaret
I have mixed feelings about Beneath a Burning Sky by Jenny Ashcroft. I liked the historical setting – Alexandria at the end of the 19th century when Egypt was under British rule. It is a complex book but it is not so much historical fiction but more of a romantic story. Overall I enjoyed it but thought the book was melodramatic and I was hoping for more historical content.

There is a large cast of characters and although the main character, Olivia is convincingly described, many of th
Mrs
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to netgalley and publisher for a download of this book to review honestly.
This is a wonderful book, a love story, mystery and thriller all rolled into one sumptuous read. Olivia has had a terrible childhood,her parents dying in Egypt, separated from her sister and made to live with an unbearably cruel aunt who forces her into a marriage she's does not want, she then has to return to Egypt with her cold cruel and vindictive husband Alistair.
Here she reunites with her sister Cla
Michelle
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

Set in Alexandria, Egypt, in the late 19th century, this is a very entertaining read full of mystery and intrigue, secrets and lies. There is romance but it is rather lukewarm compared to the sweltering Egyptian heat. However, I found that to be a bonus as more time was spent on the actual story than on too much kissy-kissy stuff. I would have liked a bit more detail about the setting of the story but generally this is a very good bit of escapism.
Julie Williams
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was attracted to the description of this book as I am a fan of Dinah Jefferies and it is under the same Historical Fiction genre. It is a story of betrayal and love set in Egypt during the British occupation. There are many characters in this novel and lots of stories which all come together in the end, so I found myself having to concentrate quite hard.

Olivia a 22 year old is married to the horribly cruel Alistair, who I have to admit I loathed him pretty early on. But as he is a
Belinda
Suzanne
Something a little colonial. Illicit love and abduction set in the early underworld of Alexandria. Not a bad read.
Chandru CS
Good

I will be there at the same time I will be there at the same time you get off work today and tomorrow and see you soon
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Forecast
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3; Danny McRae, #3)
  • The Demons We See (The Dark Abyss Of Our Sins, #1)
  • Undead (Cursed Superheroes, #3)
  • Fire Lines
  • The Dream Engine
  • Madness (Shadow-Keepers, #1)
  • A Borgia Daughter Dies
  • Rhodi's Light (The Rhodi Saga, #1)
  • First Contact (Haunts For Sale #1)
  • Dorianna
  • Rise of the Sparrows (The Relics of Ar'Zac #1)
  • Wings Unseen
  • The Far Side of the Sun
  • The First Wife
  • Already Dead
  • Seasons of Sorcery: A Fantasy Anthology
  • Possess (Mary Hades #2)
Jenny Ashcroft lives in Brighton with her husband and two children. Before that, she spent many years living and working in Australia and Asia - a time which gave her an enduring passion for stories set in exotic places.

She has a degree in history, and has always been fascinated by the past - in particular the way that extraordinary events can transform the lives of normal people.

Her first book,