Start by marking “A Very French Christmas: The Greatest French Holiday Stories of All Time (Very Christmas, #2)” as Want to Read:

A Very French Christmas: The Greatest French Holiday Stories of All Time

(Very Christmas #2)

A continuation of the popular Very Christmas Series, this collection brings together the best French Christmas stories of all time in an elegant and vibrant collection, featuring classics by Guy de Maupassant and Alphonse Daudet, plus stories by the esteemed 20th-century author Irène Némirovsky and contemporary writers Dominique Fabre and Jean-Philippe Blondel.

With a holid
Published October 10th 2017 by New Vessel Press

To ask other readers questions about A Very French Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Very French Christmas

Start your review of A Very French Christmas: The Greatest French Holiday Stories of All Time (Very Christmas, #2)
Classic reverie
I came across this collection of short stories when looking to see if any more English translation of Irene Nemirvosky's books. I was sold when I saw her included but several other authors would have had me bite anyhow!

A brief description below of each short story--

*The Gift by Jean Philippe Blondel (2017) A man in his seventies looking at his life and his thoughts on his family on Christmas. (I thought this one was interesting and like it)

*St. Anthony and his Pig by Paul Arene (1880) A hermit
Kristyn - Reading to Unwind
This is a short story collection like none I have ever read before. A few of the stories are uplifting towards the end of them and some gave me a lot to think about. I also want it to be Christmas time after reading the book.
My favorite story was in the beginning of the book with the old man who is out with his family. He goes into portions of his life and how it went wrong with him and his deceased wife. I loved getting his reflection back on life and how he came to be sitting with his family.
Jammin Jenny
I enjoyed this set of short Christmas stories from France. They all had something to offer. I really liked the one with the grandfather and the kid...that was a sweet one.
Amy
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Very French Christmas is a collection of fourteen short stories from various authors. These stories include:
The Gift by Jean-Philippe Blondel
Salivate and Bernadou by Alphonse Daudet
A Christmas Supper in the Marais by Alphonse Daudet
A Miracle by Gu
Emma
Experience Christmas as you have never before, with this unique, very French short story collection.

As you would know if you are familiar with French literature in general, the French cannot be described as the most optimistic people in the world. If there’s a yes, there’s always a BUT shortly after. This reflects as well in this collection of Christmas short stories, which makes it quite unique! If you want something different for your next Christmas, ask Santa to bring you A Very French Christ
Stephanie Dagg
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
What’s French about it

Short story collections by assorted authors can be hit and miss. Harnessing together authors from different periods with very different writing styles is quite risky. The logic behind such an enterprise is, I imagine, to seek to introduce the reader to a variety of writing united by some common theme or themes – as here where we have two in Frenchness and Christmas – at the same time bearing in mind that not everyone is going to like everything, but should at least like som
Donna
Jan 12, 2021 rated it liked it
This book is a collection of Christmas stories written by ten French authors including Guy de Maupassant, Victor Hugo, Anatole France, Irene Nemirovsky and others. Some were poignant but several were depressing rather than uplifting and celebratory as I had expected.
James
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cozy and warm collection of short stories from French authors primarily from the late 19th century and the last few years. Some were more memorable than others but all evoked the Christmas spirit. I think my favorite was the last tale, Noel.
Lucy Pollard-Gott
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: france
A Very French Christmas: The Greatest French Holiday Stories of All Time is a joy to hold and page through, as it is beautifully produced–not surprising since it comes from New Vessel Press. This collection of fourteen stories derives primarily from the late nineteenth century, the heyday of Christmas stories, one might say, given the popularity of annual Christmas tales from Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, and others. But A Very French Christmas feels very French, and also very fresh, owing to ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: france, christmas

Ridiculous. I'm sure it seems ridiculous. I've just read A Very French Christmas: The Greatest French Holiday Stories of All Time. I'm not in France. And it most certainly isn't December.

What's going on?

There are some people who always send you to the good books. Emma, of the blog, Words and Peace, and the organizer of France Book Tours, always sends me to the good books. I just couldn't resist a book of French Christmas stories. Even in August.

So why should you hear about A Very French Christma
Jacqueline
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am ashamed to admit I don’t have enough experience of reading the great French authors, so with contributions from names like Guy de Maupassant, François Coppée and Anatole France I thought this collection of short stories would be a perfect introduction and I wasn’t disappointed.

This selection of Christmas tales was full of beautifully written pieces, where the descriptions of winter helped to cool me down on a hot summer day, although I wasn’t really filled with the Christmas cheer I was exp
Aurora
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I think I signed on to read and review the book as more of a curiosity because I wanted to know how French christmas was different than the stereotypical portrayal of American and Dickensian christmas. I also think I was curious how I would feel about the stories considering that I don't celebrate christmas (closest is New Years in Russian style which is similar to christmas style as I learned when I came to America.) What I found out is interesting: modern stories like the first one as well as ...more
Carole
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is very interesting to read the style of Christmas stories written in the late 19th century. These 14 short stories are so finely written, that a only a few pages convey the real feeling. Already then, many people believed less in religion and yet they wittnessed Miracles. I was so amazed to read these stories were from 1892. One story said, the snow was 5 foot deep, a most unusual amount. But, the story "Christmas in Algiers" by Anatole Le Braz (1859-1926), written by a soldier could have be ...more
Melissa
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting collection of stories were interesting and cute. I read this on Christmas eve with my teenage daughters and they loved it. I left it on display in my living room for Christmas and my mother in law read and liked it too. Very entertaining.
Silver
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do not care for the conventional modern Christmas stories. They are frankly to warm and fuzzy, sentimental, and often romance oriented for my tastes.

Thus I like to go on a quest to find holiday themed books that break the convention and offer something different and unexpected.

This one caught my eye for a few reasons. For one because it is French and in addition to enjoying French literature as a whole I was curious as to how they would portray the holiday. Second I was intrigued by the fact
Shan
Dec 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
« He recalls the celebration of Christmas, which in our beautiful land of Provence is like a bonfire lighted in the heart of winter. He thinks of the walk home after midnight Mass, of the bedecked and luminous churches, the dark and crowded village streets, then the long evening around the table, the three traditional torches, the aïoli, the dish of snails, the pretty ceremony of the cacho fio, the Yule log, which the grandfather parades through the house and sprinkles with mulled wine »

Not bad
Jill
Dec 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
I love reading holiday-themed stories in December to help get me in the Christmas mood. While this book started off strong with some great short stories, they got progressively worse. What a bummer! You keep hoping the next one will be better....then, no.
Terzah
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
This is a fun collection of sometimes sad, sometimes uplifting stories for the Christmas season.
Bambi
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is just charming. What a wonderful Christmas gift from my mom. My favorite story in this volume is The Lost Child.
John Beckham
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holiday Cheerr

All the stories are wonderful relaxing reads. As tastee as Fine French wine. Don't miss Maupassant 's A MIRACLE, but I TAKE SUPPER WITH MY WIFE is the best.
Heather
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I may be naive, but I believe that Christmas stories should be uplifting. Most of these were very much not.
Athena Thomas
Dec 06, 2020
Mitz
Dec 07, 2019
Anne
rated it did not like it
Dec 06, 2019
Binita Thakker
Apr 12, 2020
Shiloah
Jan 03, 2021
« previous 1 3 next »

• Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • How to Think More About Sex
  • A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life
  • John Muir and the Ice That Started a Fire: How a Visionary and the Glaciers of Alaska Changed America
  • Rain Before Rainbows
  • Another Twist in the Tale
  • When the Mountains Roared
  • The Trowel and the Truth: A Guide to Field Archaeology in the Holy Land
  • The Eskimo Solution
  • Snow (St. John Strafford, #1)
  • The Outermost House: A Year of Life on the Great Beach of Cape Cod
  • The Dun Cow Rib: A Very Natural Childhood
  • Full Moon over Noah's Ark: An Odyssey to Mount Ararat and Beyond
  • Island Dreams: Mapping an Obsession
  • Tip of the Iceberg: My 3,000-Mile Journey Around Wild Alaska, the Last Great American Frontier
  • Akbar and Birbal: Famous Illustrated Tales
  • How's the Pain?
  • The Land Beyond: A Thousand Miles on Foot through the Heart of the Middle East
See top shelves…
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i ...more

Very Christmas (5 books)
  • A Very Russian Christmas: The Greatest Russian Holiday Stories of All Time (Very Christmas, #1)
  • A Very Italian Christmas: The Greatest Italian Holiday Stories of All Time (Very Christmas, #3)
  • A Very Scandinavian Christmas: The Greatest Nordic Holiday Stories of All Time (Very Christmas, #4)
  • A Very German Christmas: The Greatest Austrian, Swiss and German Holiday Stories of ALL Time

Related Articles

“How can they possibly know such things? No member of this family reads novels, except for mass-market bestsellers, clichéd thrillers with contrived plots, idiotic romances or discounted pseudoeroticism. And so forth. They drag the books around with them during the summer, glancing at a few lines and then quickly going back to their preferred activities—catching up on the latest gossip and convincing themselves that the life they’ve chosen is better than it is. Voilà. The absence of literature, among my children, is the most crushing failure of my existence. It’s not yours, Hélène, I know. You used to reproach my passion for reading. My dilettantism—you used to say there are so many other more interesting and certainly more useful things to do—fixing things around the house, rearranging the furniture, laundry, cooking. Don’t misunderstand me. I did my share of household chores, you can’t say otherwise, but it was never enough.” 1 likes
“I’m much richer than I appear and that, thanks to well advised investments, I’ve managed to amass a small fortune. They’ve casually tried to ask me about this. I’ve said nothing to confirm or deny the rumor. They tell “Grandpa” how happy they are to see him in good form; they shower him with charming, bland smiles, telling him about the latest exploits of the youngest grandchildren and bringing him up to date on the brilliant careers of the eldest. They remind him of the names of the first great grandchildren. And then in the end, when there’s not much of a response beyond a grunt or a gurgle, they lean back in their seats saying that “Grandpa” isn’t so easygoing, he always had a difficult character and that doesn’t change with age, he could still be a bit more polite and show a little more gratitude toward this family that spends Christmas Day with him; he barely smiles, it’s true, which seems to prove that he doesn’t enjoy it and that we organize the whole hoopla for nothing, he’d rather stay at home near the radiator with a book; ah yes, books, for “Grandpa,” you’d think they were more important than human” 0 likes