Start by marking “Mr. Either/Or” as Want to Read:
Mr. Either/Or

Mr. Either/Or

Aaron Poochigian's Mr. Either/Or is an ingenious debut, a verse novel melding American mythology, noir thriller, and classical epic into gritty rhythms, foreboding overtones, and groovy jams surrounding the reader in a surreal atmosphere. Imagine Byron's Don Juan on a high-stakes romp through a Raymond Chandler novel. Think Hamlet in Manhattan with a license to kill.

Aaron
Published October 10th 2017 by Etruscan Press

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Either/Or, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Either/Or

Mattia Ravasi
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRt5k...
Featured in my Top 20 Books I Read in 2017

The best nine dollars you'll spend this year. Combines the most spectacular of plots on alien invasions and ancient curses with two majorly kickass main characters, all drawn in the sleekest iambic pentameter. Can turn from hilarious to majestic and back in the span of two lines.
Heena Rathore P.
Blog Rating: 4.5/5

Mr. Either/Or by Aaron Poochigian is a remarkably unique book that will simply blow your mind!

Initially, when I started reading this book, I wasn't sure what to expect from it, but as I read a few pages and started getting in the flow of the writing I knew I was in for good. In spite of being written in the form of poetry, this book has all the elements that make is a complete fiction in every sense. It has a beautiful characterization adorning a dramatic storyline which is fur
LindaJ^
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a real treat to read -- 4.5 stars rounded to 5 because of its uniqueness. I bought it after watching the Bookchemist's review on You Tube, as he made it sound so good.

This is a novel written in verse. It has great cadence and, surprising to me, I had no problem following this wacky story. Mr. Either/Or is a secret agent for some US agency. He is sent on two missions in this tale. In the first, he is sent to pick up a box that contains the evils of a certain dynasty stolen centuries ago
Dave
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mr. Either/Or is something completely different in format, tone, and presentation. While it is a gritty pulp story about magic and detectives and spies and gangs, it is presented in the form of extended sometimes rhyming alliterative prose. It is in that sense more like Allen Ginsberg's Howl or Jim Morrison's Celebration of the Lizard than anything a crime fiction reader is used to reading. It is more of an extended rap on crime fiction. There is a story that you can follow, but it plays a secon ...more
The Reading Bud
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-request
Blog Rating: 4.5/5

Danielle Urban
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Either Or by Aaron Poochigian is quite an interesting read. This novel, is layer out in a unique way. I was hooked. Aaron Poochigian is a talented writer indeed. His protagonist isn't like most. I loved how the words took me through the book. It was like reading one of my favorite literary novels - tone wise and had the alluring nature of the fictional reads I've read and come to love. Each section is intriguing. Readers like myself will drink up this work of fiction. Engaging, well-told, an ...more
Maryann Corbett
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolute page-turner of a plot, and a poetic pleasure too. Really inventive rhyming and great use of meter both sweep the reader along.
Bill
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the books that should become a ‘cult classic’ – a book that is so good and so unusual that word of it will spread from one to another till it becomes one of those legendary pieces of literature that light the literary world.

Who would know that a novel in verse could be one of those so hard to put down that I was up late last night finishing this thriller in verse, for that is what it is.

Part mystery, part crazy sci-fi invasion tale, part satire of thrillers and sci-fi, part love s
Kirsty
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: unfinished
I don't like noir fiction, and I don't like prose that relies heavily on alliteration. It's not you, book, it's me.
Malum
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
If Nabokov couldn't make me love the poem-as-novel, then Poochigian sure can't. Still, this was well done and fun for what it was.
J.D. DeHart
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An inventive and enjoyable use of verse. I always enjoy quality poetry and appreciate authors who push in new directions - this book is a wonderful example of both.
Suzie Sanchez
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That was great. This book had me laughing my butt off from start to finish and that left me one happy reader. A snarky yet romantic hero, an uptight yet passionate heroine, a salacious yet serious love story--it should be remembered as a ‘cult classic.’ Can't wait to read what else this author has for me!
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
*I received an ARC copy from the author for review, this does not affect my review*

A pleasure to read! I have only recently discovered novels written in prose, and I really liked this one. I loved the poetic telling, and the unique story told here. Unsure what to expect, I am both thrilled and impressed by how much I enjoyed reading this book!
Suze Lavender
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Mr Either/Or an FBI agent with a double identity as a student is involved in dealing with dangerous mythological artifacts, gang wars, bloody fights and battles with aliens. He's constantly under threat and tumult is always looking for him. However, there's an intriguing art historian who's often by his side. Therefore he must have the time for romance, while simultaneously trying to uncover evil plots against him and the people living in his city.

Mr. Either/Or is a story in verse. It's brill
Sydney
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Either/Or is one of the best books I've read this year. Equal parts beautiful poetry and fast-paced, can't-put-it-down thriller, this is the kind of book that will stick with you after you read it with the nuance to make each read a unique experience.
Mari LivTollefsonCarlson
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Take an ancient legend, warring gangs (including a septic group of misfit-zealots and an interplanetary crew), politics and two savvy agents, fashioned in epic verse, Aaron Poochigian creates his own genre. In MR. EITHER/OR, he saves the world through poetry, with the help of a student-cum-FBI interlocutor, Zack Berzinski (aka Bob), and his “would-be wife,” Li-Ling, a PhD curator at the Met. Or, characterized by the author: “the young man universal;/she, your trusty sherpa, showpiece/and better ...more
SanFranTrans
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Li-ling Levine is the best!
Alyssa
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this book, this book—it’s crazy. The hero is “you,” a secret agent named Zach Berzinski who lives undercover as a student at NYU. The rhythm of the poetry carries “you” through wild adventures all over (and under and on top of) Manhattan. The love-interest, Li-ling Levine, is my hero—she is so much smarter than “you” is but seems to love him anyway because of the craziness he brings into her life. Their lop-sided relationship is weirdly beautiful.
Paul Ataua
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Noir/ science fiction meets iambic pentameter. I had to give it a go, and I chose the audio-book version to get the best out of it. It was actually interesting and quite well done, but I couldn't help feeling the elements don't really go together, and I would have preferred a more straightforward version. Good attempt though!
Angela
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
If Quentin Tarantino and the Anglo-Saxon bard of Beowulf decided to write a verse screenplay for the next Men in Black movie it might look and sound a lot like Aaron Poochigian's "Mr. Either/Or." Modern verse novels are rare birds in the poetic universe--the last one I met was Suzy Zeus Gets Organized by Maggie Robbins (Bloomsbury 2005). Poochigian and Robbins are both New Yorkers and share a sense of the rhythm and cadence of city life, injecting their poems with a flagrant irreverence for high ...more
Pallavi Sareen
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Mr. Either/Or is different than the usual novels that I have encountered. With a plot and characters like a traditional novel, it is written poetically and I mean it in the literal sense. The book is written like poetry with rhyme schemes and stanzas while telling an intricate story which borders on thriller and mystery.
It is an action packed book that I enjoyed reading a lot. I loved how the protagonist added humor in proportions making this book highly entertaining.
One one hand there's an anci
QueenJ Reads
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

What I liked?

Oh my goodness! The rhyme was my favorite. I’ve rarely read anything like this where the author utilizes the rhyme of poetry with all the suspense of what is essentially a mystery novel of fiction with full-on development.

It was very clever. I loved it from start to finish!

What I didn’t like?

This was perfect in my opinion. I couldn’t find anything wrong with it.

Overall?

If you love poetry as well as thrillers, give this one a go. It’s all the way amazing and lit.
Alison
Nov 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I honestly did not understand the significance of writing this book in verse, and I felt that it undercut the plot. The writing was amateur in terms of style, fitting the style to the form and also convoluted and confusing a lot of the time. Referencing characters with constantly shifting adjectives made it hard to understand who was doing what, and what was going on. I'm thankful that the publishers sent me a copy to review, but it was not an enjoyable read for me.
Carol Randall
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Pat
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I guess I thought it was okay. But I'm just not hip enough or literate enough to have gotten all the references, innuendoes, etc. I got the gist but I'm sure I missed a lot.

A book in verse. So if you like an easy (?) read and one that apparently is / was the rage, go for it.
Christopher
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Karaktärerna är kanske lite väl endimensionella, och handligen är ibland lite för tokig. Ändå helt k. Själva diktandet är välgjort, enligt mig.
ZaraS  *book reviewer
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Adults
When I had read some reviews about this book I had very high expectations of it. I thought it would be an easy read with a more traditional poetry form. However, the reality was quite different. I’m sorry to say but I really struggled reading this book. There were some parts of the poems that did rhyme but much of them didn’t so I was left wondering whether it was meant to be a book of poetry or a novel which adopted an unusual format that I had not encountered before. I never really got this an ...more
Jean Simmons
  • Louise in Love
  • Against Love Poetry: Poems
  • Little Girls in Church
  • The Tennis Handsome
  • Rare and Commonplace Flowers: The Story of Elizabeth Bishop and Lota de Macedo Soares
  • The Alehouse at the End of the World
  • Their Brilliant Careers: The Fantastic Lives of Sixteen Extraordinary Australian Writers
  • Imaginary Friends