Start by marking “Hard To Do: The Surprising, Feminist History of Breaking Up” as Want to Read:
Hard To Do: The Surprising, Feminist History of Breaking Up

Hard To Do: The Surprising, Feminist History of Breaking Up

Whatever the underlying motives—be they love, financial security, or mere masochism—the fact is that getting involved in a romantic partnership is emotionally, morally, and even politically fraught. In Hard To Do, Kelli Marìa Korducki turns a Marxist lens on the relatively short history of romantic love, tracing how the myth of economic equality between men and women has t ...more
Published January 9th 2018 by Coach House Books

To ask other readers questions about Hard To Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard To Do

Meg
Interesting! this is the second of the Exploded Views series that I've read this year. Korducki provides a concise rundown of the domestic partnership in western culture and women's socialization into holding onto partnerships. I wanted more of that second part than I got. I should look up the article she quotes from Dear Sugar (Cheryl Strayed) instead:

"Go, even though you love him.
Go, even though he's kind and faithful and dear to you.
Go, even though he's your best friend and you're his.
Go, eve
Shagufta
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
One of my finds at Toronto’s @typebooks, this was an interesting exploration of how relationships are posited to be the be all end all of female happiness and of how relationships shape women, disadvantage women, and overall tries to give a history of western partnerships. This is a very western account but the author does try to point out the the narrative is very western and white and includes critiques and perspectives of other theorists along the way. My critique is that I thought it would e ...more
Gillian G.
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the book we need right now. Korducki does what 90% of relationship columnists and therapists fail to do: talk about relationships through a systemic and historic lens. That might not sound scintillating at first, but trust me, this is not a text book. Having a deft writer point out, name and give well-researched examples of fears and suspicions you've always had but doubted... it's scintillating as hell. And deeply reassuring.

Korducki is an excellent writer and blends extremely relatable
Krystina
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
What I loved about this book was that it asks an important question. Why are monogamous relationships structured as a societal norm and is this structure still relevant for modern women? The author chooses to take a more quantitative approach to answering the question, skipping on real-life stories in the narrative. I don’t mind that approach, but the volume was so slim that the author didn’t have the space to dig into any subject in depth. Aspects of feminist Marxism are so complex that they we ...more
Leah Rachel von Essen
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kelly María Korducki’s Hard to Do: The Surprising, Feminist History of Breaking Up intrigued me from the start. I had read a good amount in both fiction and non-fiction about how the fight for the right to divorce is a feminist fight for women’s freedom and ability to choose for themselves.

Korducki’s book begins strong, with a fascinating set of questions about why modern-day women feel so much pressure to find the right man, about why they feel so bad about breaking up with “good men.” Her que
Kaylie
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. Smart and sharp, an economic history of marriage that emphasizes the increasing and unfair pressure on single-partner marriage to satisfy every need. Like a lovely feminist manifesto that draws the same conclusion I always do: RELATIONSHIP ANARCHY.
Kevin
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: canlit
My impression of this book changed as I read it. Sometimes it really felt like I was reading a dry history, but then other times it pumped out quick theses in informative, short bursts. It's no Most Dramatic Ever: The Bachelor in terms of punchy explorations of 21st century topics, but it does the job. Wish it had a bit more warmth to it, but I guess breaking up isn't wholly warm in itself...
Kyla Belvedere
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Didn't hold my interest the entire way because admittedly it was a bit above my level of understanding at some points, but this text got me thinking about topics surrounding relationships (ending) with a feminist lens. The voice is humorous; the book is well written and edited, so I am interested in seeing more in this interesting series.
Jena
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
While this was a fast and interesting read, I'm honestly not sure what its supposed to be about. Despite the title it really isn't about breaking up at all. It more about the history of women in relationships in general.
Nicola
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book wasn’t quite what I expected it to be. It was more of a historical recap of the feminist movement especially as it relates to the laws around marriage and divorce. It was a little dry but good information.
Randi
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was...good but strange. At some points, it was smart, sharp, and a joy to read. At other points, it was slow and dry. Overall, it's still worth a read.
Shimona Hirchberg
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Stopped at pg 60... not interested in continuing
Denna Bee
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish i read this book when i a single, as it summated so many inklings i had but had to work hard to form to concrete concepts. worth the read
Philip Bardach
Jan 21, 2018
Lydia Batke
Jun 23, 2018
Katelyn
rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2018
Cara
Sep 26, 2018
Lindsay
Jul 15, 2018
Rilla
Jun 11, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Ladies of Labor, Girls of Adventure: Working Women, Popular Culture, and Labor Politics at the Turn of the Twentieth Century
  • Storming Caesars Palace: How Black Mothers Fought Their Own War on Poverty
  • Black Bolshevik: Autobiography of an Afro-American Communist
  • Vimy: The Battle and the Legend
  • The Death of Conservatism
  • Never Done: A History of American Housework
  • The Miner's Canary: Enlisting Race, Resisting Power, Transforming Democracy
  • Rape: Sex, Violence, History
  • Cataloging the World: Paul Otlet and the Birth of the Information Age
  • Closer to Freedom: Enslaved Women and Everyday Resistance in the Plantation South
  • Buzz: A Stimulating History of the Sex Toy
  • Dear Current Occupant
  • The Presence of the Past: Popular Uses of History in American Life
  • Why Women Have Better Sex Under Socialism: And Other Arguments for Economic Independence
  • Faking It: The Quest for Authenticity in Popular Music