Start by marking “Montreal Noir” as Want to Read:
Montreal Noir

Montreal Noir

(Akashic noir)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Akashic Books continues its groundbreaking series of original noir anthologies, launched in 2004 with Brooklyn Noir. Each story is set in a distinct neighborhood or location within the city of the book.

Brand-new stories by: Patrick Senécal, Tess Fragoulis, Howard Shrier, Michel Basilières, Rob Pobi, Samuel Archibald, Geneviève Lefebvre, Ian Truman, Johanne Seymour, Arjun B

Published November 7th 2017 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Montreal Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Montreal Noir

Maxwell
This was a fun reading experience because I just recently visited Montreal and picked this book up there. But on their own most of these stories were not that great. I do appreciate that this publisher gives local authors the opportunity to contribute to a collection about their city though. 2.5 stars
Catherine McKenzie
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My first ever short story has been included in this awesome collection!
Dave
Akashic Noir has published nearly eighty volumes of short stories, each centered around a geographic location, and has another half dozen already in the pipeline. Each volume such as DC Noir, Brooklyn Noir, Los Angeles Noir, Mumbai Noir, features writers familiar with the local terrain, the local flavor, and an editor from that locale. The locations include not just American cities but exotic international locales as well.

The unique aspect to Montreal is that, although it's a North American cit
Diana
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MONTREAL NOIR is one of the latest additions to Akashic Books Noir series. Each title is an anthology of stories, each story set in a distinct neighborhood or location within the respective city. (or state, as in MONTANA NOIR)
Each anthology follows a similar format - a map (love the map); a Table of Contents; an Introduction by the editors; and information about the authors - About the Contributors.
The Introduction is an integral part of the anthology - it is written by the editors and sets a to
Vera
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine noir collection from Akashic Books! These are always fresh and interesting and I always enjoy reading them!
M J
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A panoply of somewhat macabre, yet incredibly interesting stories that make the reader feel as if they have stepped into a twilight zone of sorts... jumping from story to story, where you never know if the ending will be a good one or something even more dark, leaving you wondering what happens next.

The cast of characters introduced are as compelling and complex as the stories... taking you on a journey into parts of Montreal that will either entice you to visit or will make you hesitant to boo
Tonstant Weader
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Montreal Noir is a collection of fifteen short stories centered on or around Montreal. Montreal is the center for Francophone Canada and this collection reflects that with a mix of stories written in English and French, It is one of the latest in the outstanding Akashic Noir Series of short story anthologies that takes readers to the cities of the world on a noir world tour.

Editors in these series sometimes go out of their way to include stories that are outside the conventional idea of noir, st
Woody Chandler
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was one of those instances where I wish that Goodreads would allow us the option of fractions of stars, vice whole stars only. I liked this at about 2.5, but I would not give it a 3.0 so I had to go with the lower option.

Why? It was an uneven entry in the series. The editors begin by telling us that it took longer to assemble this anthology than they had envisioned, but it did not seem like the extra time paid any dividends.

Part 1 was especially disappointing, eliciting reactions from me
Mkb
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this! I’m not in the habit of reading short story collections very often, but I think I enjoyed this one more because I did it right – I read one or two stories then took a break, then read another one or two stories, etc. Also, since I got to go to the launch, it was exciting to read the stories written by the people I’d met there. It also is always exciting to read stories set in the city where one lives.
Melisende d'Outremer
I read this immediately after "Buenos Aires Noir" and found myself comparing the two.

The stories are slight longer than BA Noir, with a more modern feel. These are stories from the streets, with the crimes more in your face, the violence brutal and ugly.

" ... its unsettling, its subversive, its palpable but its never obvious ..."

Loved every page!
M
Most of the ten anthologies I have read from the Akashic Noir series have been good, but this one is one of my favorites. The stories feature a variety of protagonists and situations. Who expects to find, among the usual suspects, guys who hunt coyotes for sport in the burbs of Montreal?

Free review copy from publisher through Goodreads First Reads giveaway.
Juanita
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Review: Montreal Noir by Jacques Filippi. 10/23/2017

This is a review for early responders of a book of short stories. I have noticed that most books with short stories, some you like and some don’t make sense. The first story was a leader. I enjoyed it and I thought the writing style was alright. I liked the traffic controller being challenged by a horrific evil person and thought they suited their creative role. Than moving on to the one about a person being accused of a double murder so he wen
A.G. Lake
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: noir, can-lit
I liked this book. Gave it five stars for its motivating effect on myself to write some short stories. These fifteen stories remind me there are many types of noir. Now I have to find a list explaining the different types of noir.

In my opinion most of these stories are like very gory criminal minds or Mtl mafioso stories. Many gory animal cruelty schticks and cruel child abductions before anyone thought of amber alerts. I can barely read these stories for the gore. They are not so much like Das
Kerry Pickens
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
This book is a part of a series on urban noir that features different cities by providing a variety of short stories for each location. Collections like these are often uneven, but I read them to find new authors that interest me. I find one this book is Ian Truman's story about some bar owners who get unintentionally involved with drug dealers because of a childhood acquaintance. The portrayal of a struggling family in the changing neighborhood and the crime inherent in that environment made fo ...more
Nouna
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I liked the style of this book, I somehow developed a love hate relationship with each story. Yes they are short stories, but some I found very tough reading. The translations were excellent. I know Montreal and clearly recognized the areas and could visualize the scene. I must have lost sight the the key work NOIR while reading, but was quickly reminded by the characters. Would I read more of the NOIR series, I doubt it. But I will definitely seek the individual authors and read more of t ...more
Sarah Anne
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Particularly enjoyed Rush Hour, Wild Horses, The Crap Magnet, Poppa, Journal of an Obsession and Milk Teeth.

The French short stories have been translated into English.
Valeria
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great way to get exposed to Canadian crime novelists. Really enjoyed this collection and I am looking forward to read other books in the series, getting to know different cities.
Dorothy
Lots of great (dark) stories in this collection. A real treat as well if you know the neighbourhoods referred to in the stories. Several new-to-me authors I will be checking out for my TBR.
Vintagebooklvr
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
3 1/2 stars. A variety of crime stories that are set in Montreal. They are of varying quality but over all they are good stories.
Cynthia Alice
Feb 19, 2018
Patricia Boyle
Apr 17, 2018
Arjun
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Warren Layberry
Jul 11, 2018
On the back of my books it says:

John McFetridge, author of Dirty Sweet and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, became fascinated with crime when attending a murder trial at age twelve with his police officer brother. McFetridge has co-written a short story collection, Below the Line. He lives in Toronto with his wife and two sons.

Akashic noir (1 - 10 of 98 books)
  • Atlanta Noir