Start by marking “Tarry This Night” as Want to Read:
Tarry This Night

Tarry This Night

In this dystopian, eerily relevant novel, a civil war is brewing in America. Below ground, a cult led by the deluded and narcissistic Father Ernst is ensconced in an underground bunker, waiting out the conflict. When "The Family" runs out of food, Ruth, coming of age and terrified of serving as Ernst's next wife, must choose between obeying her faith and fighting for survi ...more
Published October 16th 2017 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about Tarry This Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarry This Night

Paltia
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
You can’t fight against the word of god. Oh yeah, that’s what you think. In the extinguished light of the bunker Warren Jeff’s doppelgänger reigns supreme. Or, at least he thinks he does. A solemn story that galvanizes the reader, along with those few characters, to defiance and rebellion. There’s always those courageous few who manage to hold on to what they believe and fight back. Their little lights will shine in a whole new way.
Heidi Archer
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wanted more!! Great read. Well written. Dystopic and relatable to current events at the same time.
Vishaka Rajan
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought this was a very interesting cult fiction with dystopian elements thrown into it. The summary is quite apt: there is a cult with its leader living in an underground bunker waiting out the civil unrest happening above ground, but tensions are high and they are on the brink of starvation. It's the perfect setting for desperation to settle in and for something climactic to happen. I really liked that the story was told from multiple perspectives; it allowed us to understand the main charac ...more
Amardip
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookclub, recommend
This easy-to-read compact novel tells the story of a family cult that has been living in an underground bunker for many years after setting off a number of dirty bombs in a coordinated anti-government attack. A third-person narrator shifts perspectives between several main characters giving a personal view of the situation in the bunker from the vantage point of the cult leader, his wives, and some of the children. This mechanism of rotating viewpoint leads to greater character development, a be ...more
Jennifer Jamieson
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Civil War has divided America, and outdoors isn't always safe after groups of religious extremists carried out dirty bomb attacks all over the US and Canada. Father Ernst was a leader in the movement, and shortly after the attacks he moved much of his Family into an underground bunker to keep them out of the world. Since communications stopped a few years ago, he doesn't know much about the more recent war that erupted after his acts of terrorism. He doesn't really care.

Locked in their bunker fo
Elna
I'm a sucker for stories about cults and oppressive religions and women in these situations, AND retelling of the Lilith story.

Tarry This Night hit all of those buttons, and did so in a terrifyingly bleak, realistic and unblinking way. The truth is, living in a bunker for years with no specified end date and expecting to replenish your population from the same dwindling, starving supply of women is unfeasible and yet people try it or want to try it all the time.

The sense of hopelessness and in
Will
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2018
Haunting story of a cult living in an underground bunker. Dunnion reels the reader in by developing her characters through real time narrating but also flashbacks to life before the bunker. Dunnion deals heavily in the patriarchal archetype of extremist religious groups--centering the terrifying Father Ernst. But all is not right in the bunker and beliefs begin to waver. Once I got into it, I could not put it down. Dunnion take the reader on an intense rollercoaster, I was on the edge of my seat ...more
Heather
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lyrical and sadly beautiful. A bit rushed at the end, with some threads left dangling. Things tied up a little too neatly for such a raw and gritty story.

Also, this was listed as Teen in a few reviews, and while I wouldn't hesitate to give it to a mature reader, it's much more suited to an adult audience in my opinion.
Aleigh Bollon
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book fulfilled my reading checklist of "read a book solely based on the cover art". I did enjoy the story line once I dug deeper into the book, but I have to say this wasn't my favorite. It was lacking too many details and seemed to just graze over what was actually happening. This style/theme of writing isn't what I usually gravitate towards, but I'm glad to have read it.
Kelliann Gomez
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is probably one of the most terrifying things I've read in light of recent events, but somehow, despite the dark, serious tone of the book, my brain kept singing the theme song from The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately just an "it was okay." There were parts I found intriguing and parts I had to skim. 2.5/5.
Amanda Silva
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Very well written, interesting subject content, wish they had tied the ending together for all the characters a little better.
Cady
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short and very realistic bunker story. I want a sequel! But it's good on its own. For people who want a serious Kimmy Schmidt, try this.
Anna
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
The ending was not satisfying- it felt more like the book stopped rather than ended
Katrina
  • Heroes in My Head: A Memoir
  • Transcendent: The Year's Best Transgender Speculative Fiction
  • Moonstruck #1
  • Cousins
  • Kynship (The Way of Thorn and Thunder, #1)
  • Principles To Live By
  • Ball Peen Hammer
  • Thief in the Interior
  • Bears Make the Best Reading Buddies
  • Aptitude
Kristyn Dunnion's academic pedigree is matched only by her punk credentials. She studied English and Theatre at McGill and holds a Masters in English. She's also the bass player for a dykemetal band called Heavy Filth and is known to host burlesque parties and drag king shows.

She currently lives in Toronto.