Start by marking “The Megarothke” as Want to Read:
The Megarothke

The Megarothke

Blade Runner meets Westworld via Resident Evil in this shocking, gripping debut sci-fi/horror novel infused with Nietzschean philosophy, exploring humanity's darkest desire for transcendence.

Seven years after the limitless depths of the Hollow War decimated Earth, leaving only 50,000 humans to fight for survival in Los Angeles, Theo Abrams is sent on a mission to destroy t
Published February 13th 2018 by Cinestate

To ask other readers questions about The Megarothke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Megarothke

karen
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: pagehabit
that i didn’t love this book was no real shocker to me - you tell me something is lovecraft meets nietzsche and i’m already on my merry way to another book's embrace. but since this came to me by way of the good people at pagehabit, i felt obligated to give it a chance. and, yeah - it’s not to my taste, because these types of horror novels never have been to my taste, but i can see its appeal to people who like their large-scale apocalypses laced with philosophy and cabals and chittering, metal- ...more
Dave
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A post-apocalyptic world where the handful of survivors battle against a creature so powerful that it plans to usurp all creation. A story that is reminiscent of Blade Runner and the Matrix with vast arrays of cyborgs and artificial intelligence beings replacing human life. The final battle in the vast tunnel world under Los Angeles that will determine the fate of the universe. A complex character, Theo, at the heart of everything whose life before the apocalypse was twisted, leaving him bitter ...more
TheReadingTortie
The Megarothke was given to me by the writer himself, Robert Ashcroft, at a conference we were both attending. We got along well and he mentioned his book that was coming out so, of course, I had to pick it up and he was kind enough to give me an advanced copy. I read the book and the writing, story, and the characters enveloped me and before I knew it, the entire cast had set up camp in my mind and I couldn’t get them out. One of the best feelings as a reader.

Set in a post apocalyptic world, th
Jess Hagemann
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read N' Reviews
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I actually wanted to rate this as a 3 1/2 star book but most sites don't allow for that 1/2 star unfortunately.
At first I was thinking that it was going to be another one of the stories (ok I haven't read a story like this before so I was thinking more like a movie, but still) where it's all going to be about robots and one person who does everything. I also thought that I might not finish it because its not a "thriller" or "suspense" book. Well, it wasn't about just one person and I did finish.
Alicia Balliett
Apr 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF 50%
I just can't get into it. I don't care about any of the characters or story...not even enough to write a decent review. I guess I don't have much to say other than I felt "blah" the whole time while reading this.
SA
Robert Ashcroft’s debut novel is a vivid, apocalyptic transcendence Science Fiction / Horror thriller set in a future where an expanded definition of Trans includes not only gender but AI, tech, philosophies and species.

Don’t start this novel on a night where you might have early plans for the next day: once you are sucked in you will either want to finish it in one reading, or you will have nightmares from the vivid storyline.

I received an Advance Reader Copy from Edelweiss and Cinestate in exc
Sandie
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, syfi, dystopian
Took me a minute to get into this one but once I did I enjoyed following it down the rabbit hole.
Steven
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I basically read this book in one sitting, and almost a year later, I'm still thinking about it. Time for a reread!
Charles Dee Mitchell
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the second page of his debut novel, Robert Ashcroft flaunts the anti-info-dumping dictum with one nimble paragraph. The gist: Massive attack from space. Almost all life on earth wiped out. Hideous monsters roam the wasteland. Fifty thousand survivors in Los Angeles are humanity’s one last hope. With that out of the way, we’re off.

There are patrols into the waste land, scenes of barrack life, and the mission to destroy the Megarothke, the AI thought to be behind all the destruction. This would
Claire Walker
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone who would not typically pick up a science fiction book, I was pleasantly surprised by Robert Ashcroft’s The Megarothke. Ashcroft did an excellent job of blending the more science fiction aspects of the book with the backstory of his main character, Theo. For example, I thought that I would be overwhelmed by the discussion about artificial intelligence, however, Ashcroft gives the presence of AI a personal feel by incorporating it into Theo and his family’s backstory. The character of ...more
A.E.
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Even though I'm a long time fan of the science fiction/horror genre, it's been a long time since I've picked up a book that wasn't high/urban fantasy. It wasn’t until I found myself with an ARC of Robert Ashcroft's first novel did I get back into reading sci-fi horror.

And damn, after such a long drought, "The Megarothke" welcomed me home with open, bloody, mechanical arms.

"The Megarothke" is set in 2051, seven years after “The Hollow Wars”, and follows Theodore “Theo” Adams as he and the last 50
Mike D
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a long time that I couldn't put down, it pulled me in at the beginning and didn't let me go until the very end.  With gripping characters, a horrific and detailed world, and plenty of philosophical ideas to keep you thinking after you have finished, The Megarothke is an absolute must read for fans of the post-apocalyptic, science fiction, or horror genres.  Robert Ashcroft's future vision is both stunning and horrific, yet his character's humanity is vivid and feels oh ...more
Alexandra Burt
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Megarothke by Robert Ashcroft

It’s 2048. Theo Adams has lived through “The Hollow Wars” and everyone who has survived is trying to stay alive. And then there’s the Megarothke, a creature living below the city of Los Angeles, and a team looking to destroy him, to save humanity. How the world ended up at this junction unfolds chapter by chapter.

“Blade Runner meets Westworld via Resident Evil in this shocking, gripping debut sci-fi/horror novel infused with Nietzschean philosophy, exploring hum
Kaitlyn Wooley
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Theo is a flawed human being just like any one of us, trapped in a world progressing far too fast. Where will all of that progress lead us?

The Megarothke by Robert Ashcroft is a haunting (cautionary? you decide) tale told in a rich post-apocalyptic world. The characters are realistic and relatable, which is something that can be more than a little hard to find these days. They are actually affected to the core by the post-apocalypse around them and what led to it rather than tossed haphazardly
Becky B
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't typically read horror/sci-fi, but I enjoyed this book. The book had very much of a video game or cinematic feel. The author created a terrifying apocalyptic world filled with strange creatures, AI and bio-hybrid AI, with intriguing characters to lead you through the mystery. I think my favorite creation was the weird little computer screen cat creature.
Jon Tyler
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I knew around the 5th chapter that I really should have stopped reading this book but I trudged through hoping that it would get better. It did toward the middle and then completely flopped at the end.
Gavin McHugh
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Robert Ashcroft's The Megarothke is an interesting idea (detailing life after a techno-pocalypse?) and it is done fairly well. Centring around ex-cop Theo Abrams as he attempts to put an end to the reign of terror of the Megarothke, a monster-like being that lives both in and out of the technological ether, bringing forth hordes of hybrid beasts (The Scourge) and technological demons to try to wipe out humans (In his words: To wipe the sins of man away).
Ashcroft chooses to focus a lot on the min
Amanda Reed-Collett
When I first received this book in my monthly PageHabit subscription, I was excited because the story line sounded interesting. Unfortunately, while reading the book, I felt lost most of the time. It felt like there were a lot of elements thrown into the story, but no clear explanation or conclusion for them. May times, the questions "Wait, what happened?", "Where did X come from?", "Did I miss something?", and "Da fuq?" Maybe my mind is not wired the right way to read this book and understand a ...more
Nanette Fernandez
Apr 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Well i just finished the debut novel of an internet troll, and it was the worst book ive ever read. If it wasnt for pagehabit sending it out in their monthly horror box, i doubt much of anyone would be reading this book aside from its target audience of trump supporters, anti-vaccers, and his fellow webbos.
Quanita
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Horror, sci-fi, action - all can describe this book. Real humans, cyborgs, and robots, so real they appear human, make up the cast of characters. The year is 2051 and war has decimated the earth. This story is too complex to explain, but it is definitely worth the read.
Mae
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*
James
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: give-away
Why so many unanswered questions?
Chris Sanders