Start by marking “Post-Truth: How Bullshit Conquered the World” as Want to Read:
Post-Truth: How Bullshit Conquered the World

Post-Truth: How Bullshit Conquered the World

2016 marked the dawn of the post-truth era. The year saw two shock election results, each of which has the potential to reshape the world: the UK's decision to leave the EU, and the elevation of Donald Trump to the office of U.S. President. The campaigns highlighted many of the same issues in their home countries: social division, anger at the elite, anti-immigration senti ...more
Published November 14th 2017 by Biteback Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Post-Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Post-Truth

Michelle
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Back in the day, I could just switch on BBC news and Moira or Michael - or Trevor over at ITV (remember how they used to interrupt the 9pm film on ITV for the news? That was annoying ...) would tell me everything I needed to know, BS-free.

Now, we get our news from a variety of sources - some of them corrupted, some of them biased, some of them - apparently - 'fake'. Who can we trust? Who will save us - Jim Acosta??!

I watch a lot of news, even though it has more commercials than its sister statio
Imi
A mixed bag, which is a shame, because once Ball got to the core of his argument it was a good read. Mildy outdated already, of course, but that's just the nature of writing about current affairs, and I was sure it would be when starting the book. My main problem was that a large chunk of the book was yet another blow-by-blow account of both Trump's raise to power in the US and the triumph of the Leave campaign in the UK's Brexit referendum. I have two problems with this. Firstly, unless you've ...more
Steven S
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Narasi penting bagaimana omongkosong (telah) merajai dunia."

Setelah menghabiskan "Post-Truth" milik James Ball, praktis buku ini masuk salah satu buku favorit saya di 2017. Dari mana saya tahu buku ini? Saya melihatnya sepintas di postingan instagram Ignatius Haryanto, pemerhati media dan peneliti senior Lembaga Studi Pers dan Pembangunan (LSPP). Ketika kemarin melihat-lihat di Kino, buku bersampul dominan kuning ini langsung saya sambar di rak "studi politik". Isinya cukup mengesankan. Semua i
David Cross
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you have any interest in how people find, digest and share information through old media, new media (who remembers new media?) or social media, then you'll find this book as fascinating as I did.

And if you don't have any interest in that subject, then you really should.
Terry Clague
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
An apt birthday gift (thanks Hywel), this was one of a slew of books published in the aftermath of 2016, something of an annus horribilis on many levels which could be characterised as an age in which various chickens came home to bullshit. Or something.

The author, a "data journalist", divides online opinion but clearly has a talent suited to the age - it may be that the technocratic tone and apparent ideological deafness does him no favours with some audiences. His book wants to argue that we'r
Alyssa Grace
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: political
You'd think the deluge of Trump/Brexit-related media would have reached saturation long ago, but by this point, I've pretty much given up hope of people ever tiring of news regarding America's clown-in-chief. I picked up James Ball's Post-Truth with the naive belief that it might cover a wider breadth than just those two topics that have bombarded the English-speaking world of late, but sadly, that is exactly what the book spends 95% of its time on. Without a doubt, Post-Truth is well-researched ...more
Tara Brabazon
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book. Read this book right now. If I can get enough people to read this book, then the world - teaching, learning, politics, militarization and nationalism - may also transform.

This book is about Trump and Brexit, but it is a 'how to' guide about how and why a reality television host became president and the majority of a nation voted against their own best interests.

It is a book about 'bullshit' and that is the correct word to use. How have absolutely irrelevant, pointless, wrong and
Paul
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first half of the book largely (and clearly) sums up a lot of what we already knew, but when it draws towards what we can do about the problems, and the obstacles to overcome, it is both eye-opening and sensible.

What we need now is someone to take heed
R Davies
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really clear articulation of the dilemma and dangers of how information is communicated, sold, weaponised and diffused to and by people for various agendas. Ball deploys a broad cover under the label,'Bullshit' beyond just "fake news" to include, partial-truths, absurdities, outright fabrications and disingenous reporting as they all serve to undermine collective consensus, the principle of an objective truth or any authority to which one could defer to, outsite of partisan preferences.

The fo
Stan James
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The biggest issue with Post-Truth is that the people who could most benefit from it will never read it. In fact, they'd likely just disregard it as more "fake news." For someone like myself, there is little in here that is revelatory. I am only too aware of the rise of not just fake news (both real and imagined) but also what author James Ball calls "bad news," which is not to say someone is calling to tell you your pet hamster Binky just had a very unfortunate accident, but is rather a descript ...more
Shaun Liu
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read that offers fairly good analysis of the problem of a post-truth society.
Ball analyzes a number of significant factors that contribute to a world filled with fake news. It's not just politicians but the economic incentive system for both old and new media (particularly social media) and for psychological and sociological reasons.

I was intrigued to learn that a small town in Macedonia cranked out large amount of fake claims during US election time because it's profitable to ma
ItchyFeetReader
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Knowing what people we disagree with actually say and think – rather than the straw men and caricatures we create in our heads – helps us bridge gaps, and makes it harder to demonise people whose politics are different from our own.

Ball succinctly digs beneath the catch all of “fake news” and explores how the emotional and sensationalised, the half truths and full on lies came to be so prevalent in US and UK politics and culture.

The book is structured in four parts. The first, “The Power of Bu
Pat
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Who is author James Ball? "James Ball has worked in political, data, and investigative journalism in the United States and in the UK for BuzzFeed, The Guardian, and the Washington Post in a career spanning TV, digital, print, and alternative media. His reporting has won several prizes including the Pulitzer Prize for public service." (Barnes and Noble)

In this book Ball looks into the rise of T rump and his first year of bs as well as the Brexit vote and its background. I admittedly skipped some
Mark Iliff
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Subtitled “How bullshit conquered the world”, its release soon after Brexit & Trump is very timely. I wish I could be more enthusiastic.

Ball does a great job of tracking the rise of strategic lying and giving some reasons for its success. I guess I’d hoped the bit where he suggests ways of fighting it would be stronger … optimistic of me perhaps, but surely a prime motivator for reading.

One surprising omission is any attempt to compare and contrast countries where the tactic works with thos
Nia Nymue
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure if this was a credible book, especially when I read the first chapter and saw that many of its sources are from Twitter/ online.

But I think it was still a really good read. It makes you think about what objectivity in reporting really is, and if it's possible, and I'm now much more aware of the various parts of an online article, and how sites are struggling to maintain professionalism while making money.

The writer offers some suggestions to various stakeholders at the end. They're
Greta
If truth is stranger than fiction, then Post-Truth trumps it all. The poster-boy (POTUS) in this narrative gets numerous mentions in this book about all the (fake) news that's fit to print. We live in interesting times, indeed.
Simplelife
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very good read through which I've learned a lot. Keep up the good work.
kapil
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
So and so. Chronicles the rise of fake news but doesn't go the root of the problem.
Gilla
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: media
Very deep investigation covering all angles of the spread of bullshit. A nice read if you want to know more about how personal behaviours, politics and media work all together.
Diana
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well worth a read for anyone interested in fake news, Brexit, the Trump election and the spreading of rumours in social media.
Roman Loban
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very important book and essential reading for everyone, who is interested in tackling media bullshit both from the left and right. James Ball is a truly talented journalist and writer!
Tom Bevan
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Mildly dated already (times are moving fast!!) but a good basic primer in understanding the biases and drivers behind our collective consumption of information, both true and false.
Mark H
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eye opening. Mr. Ball examines what Bullshit occurred and culminated in Brexit and the Trump Presidency. Depressing implications at times; however, do-able solutions are proposed.
Scott
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Very thorough examination of bullshit. Sobering to realize how pervasive it is. And how little we can really do to stamp it out.
Niamh Walsh
Dec 25, 2018
Mike McWean
Jul 27, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
“Trump has called the media ‘enemies of the people’.59 This is central to Trump’s approach to politics: whether a deliberate strategy or the result of lifelong habit, Trump has no respect for the idea of the fourth estate, a media holding power to account. Everything must be a row, not a debate – the media aren’t checking his claims, or his details; they’re standing against him and his supporters. Trump’s style of politics needs an enemy, and with Clinton dispatched in the presidential election, the media are the perfect choice for the role.” 0 likes
“The price that’s paid is the audience’s trust: if newspapers don’t differentiate the stories that they’ve put time and reporting resources into from those they run based on a single tweet, why should readers give any more credence to one than another? Even when looking at the quick turnaround ones, if sites change headlines – or entirely reverse a story – without anything flagging that they’ve done so, how are readers expected to know where they are in the process? By running nonsense alongside decent reporting, making no difference between the two, and almost never acknowledging when they’ve screwed up, outlets propagate the culture of bullshit – what’s true barely matters, if it’s entertaining.” 0 likes