Start by marking “Thanks for Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
Thanks for Thanksgiving

Thanks for Thanksgiving

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  497 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Everyone knows that Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks - the question is, where to begin? From the turkey on the table to warm, cozy cuddles, life is full of small things and bigger pleasures. But what is most important is being able to share them with family!
Julie Markes reminds kids and adults alike about the little details that make each day enjoyable, while Doris Ba
Published August 17th 2004 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Thanks for Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thanks for Thanksgiving

Manybooks
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: for children and parents desiring a sweet book about being thankful
Although I find Julie Markes' narrative sweetly poetic, descriptive and really do love Doris Barrette's accompanying illustrations (lush, detailed and expressive), I was and remain a bit disappointed with and by Thanks for Thanksgiving, as there seems to be for the most part descriptions and depictions of non Thanksgiving based reasons for which to be thankful (such as school, music, playgrounds, pets, all important reasons for which to show gratitude perhaps, but for me, not really part of Than ...more
Kathryn
Love this one! The illustrations are absolutely adorable. This is exactly the sort of Thanksgiving book I was hoping for but having such trouble finding; a story with a contemporary family, yet a timeless quality, too--filled with things that children are thankful for in their own lives, but also with a fair share of autumn surroundings and a big ol' Thanksgiving feast at the end! It's a simple rhyming story but heart-felt sentiments and the illustrations really won me over.
Matthew
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-books
I didn't get the impression that this book was really about Thanksgiving until the end, but it's a good book about things for which children could be thankful. Further, the book wouldn't take more than a couple minutes to read. The illustrations are the part that might slow down the reader as there is a lot going on. Still, a book such as this could very quickly lead to a writing activity around Thanksgiving. Good book.
Annie Zuckerman
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holidays
This is a book about giving thanks. The story begins by three children giving thanks for Thanksgiving, turkey and pie. The three children proceed to list a variety of other things that they are thankful for as well, ranging from leaves, to school to piggyback rides, and concluding with the most important aspect-a loving family. This is a great book because of the simplicity yet effectiveness that it portrays. Markes uses rhyming sentences and action-packed illustrations to keep the audience intr ...more
Dolly
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book was featured as one of the selections for the November 2015: Thanksgiving discussion for the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Beverly
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
This is a wonderful book, even though it is not exclusively focused on the celebration of Thanksgiving, but is a celebration of everything we can give thanks for in our every day lives. I use this one in the Thanksgiving story time every year because it does have such wonderful, large illustrations, and has a short text, so that the shortest attention spans can sit still for it.
SamZ
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thanksgiving, owned
This beautifully illustrated book shares traditional things that children would be grateful for during the fall season. One of my favorites!
Jenny
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the illustrations in this rhyming book that reminds us of some of the things we have to be grateful for. The text is brief and rhymes, making it a good choice for young children.
Stephanie H (My Bookish Itinerary)
I really enjoyed reading Thanks for Thanksgiving with my girls. I love Thanksgiving, and this book is a wonderful example of all the things that I love and am thankful for on Thanksgiving. I think this is a perfectly wonderful story to read with children around Thanksgiving. The illustrations are beautiful and full of detail.

This review, as well as, Cutie Pie and Cutie Pie #2's thoughts can be found on my blog: My Bookish Itinerary
Brooke
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a short rhyming book that tells many things a child might be thankful for. It is sweet and perfect for story time.
Emma
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Josie x 2
Kate Puleo Unger
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books-read
This book lists general things to be thankful for. The rhyming stanzas make it a little less specific, but it's a good book to help kids learn the meaning of Thanksgiving. The illustrations are bright and colorful and enhance the text.

Ages 3-6

Donna Mork
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet. Shows all the things kids are grateful for, and what we all should be grateful for. Lovely illustrations too.
Christine Turner
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Featuring a simple text, this book reminds both kids and adults about the little things that make each day enjoyable.

Subjects

Thanksgiving Day -- Juvenile fiction

Gratitude -- Juvenile fiction.

Rhyme -- Juvenile fiction

I read this during storytime and it worked beautifully. The program included toddlers and the book was not too long. the illustrations are a bit busy for a storytime book, but I am very picky. It includes a page for readers to write their own special thoughts. Which of course
Laura Irrgang
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a sweet, simple story that captures the spirit of Thanksgiving. The children in the story are engaged in varied activities, so all kids should be able to find something to relate to. The soothing rhymes will be comforting to kids of all ages. "Thank you for umbrellas, rain boots and puddles...thank you for Mommy and warm, cozy cuddles." Doris Barrette's paintings are rendered in a rich palette of autumn colors. I recommend this sweet book to remind children of the joys of family and the ...more
Kimberly
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect book to introduce preschoolers to the fact that Thanksgiving is about being thankful for all of those special little things in their life. It includes short and simply rhymes that are incredibly heart warming and relatable. It shows kids being thankful for the food on the table to hopscotch to rain boots and puddles. We especially love the warm, beautiful illustrations that cover each and every page!
Holly Nelson
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Giving thanks is important when it comes to Thanksgiving and this book is a great example. This book is about a young boy and girl who celebrate together and give thanks for the love of family and friends. The detailed illustrations show what the kids are thankful with a crowded family. I would recommend this book for ages 3-6. I would use this book in my classroom when thanksgiving came around and use it as a read-aloud.

Kristy
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
This simple Thanksgiving book reminds us what we should be thankful for. I used this book as a talking point, asking the kiddos what they were all thankful for. Cute and rhyme-y. Not an exceptional book by any means, but it works well for a Thanksgiving storytime.

Good for Thanksgiving storytime (specifically!), otherwise it's Meh
Kendra
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thanksgiving
This is my favorite Thanksgiving picture book! I would love to own it someday. The text is simple and talks about things that we can easily relate to. The illustrations are amazing! It just brings back warm and cozy Thanksgiving memories and makes me feel grateful and warm and holiday-ish. I love it!
Michelle
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good rhyming scheme, nice, bold illustrations in rich , warm tones. This was a good book to help introduce the concept of Thanksgiving to my toddler and preschooler using everyday situations that they are familiar with. (ie."Thank you for play dates, for swings and for slides. Thank you for hopscotch and piggyback rides.")
Heather
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, thanksgiving
A short easy read good for all ages with nice illustrations. Perfect for our annual Thankful Leaves tradition. Each day in November my children write on a paper leaf one thing they are thankful for and then we hang it up as a garland on our mantle. This book works perfectly with many examples of what a child might be thankful for.
Ina
Nov 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
This book with its lovely pictures and simple rhyming text is a wonderful reminder of what Thanksgiving is really all about. It uses everyday images and simple text that even very young chlidren will understand and identify with and reminds them that play dates and piggy back rides and crisp apples are all things to be grateful for.
Jackie
Rosa Cline
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
The illustrations in this book are very bright and cheery bringing 'home' the simple one lines of being thankful of the many wonderful things that a child can be thankful for... from music dancing and art. Kisses, tucks in bed, moon, stars piggyback rides. A reminder to children that they can be thankful for everything that is great in their lives.
Lauren
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
A very beautiful book with a simple rhyme on each page of things a child (with a traditional family) would be thankful for. The illustrations are detailed and gorgeous covering almost every inch of the page. It's a nice calm book to read before bedtime during the thanksgiving season.
Salsabrarian
Simple rhyming text expresses gratitude for small and big pleasures, from sweet puppies to dress-up clothes. It ends with "thanks for the family I love!" Detailed paintings with bold, warm colors. Excellent Thanksgiving story for young children.
Mary Wescott
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book would be nothing without the illustrations. Doris Barrette just moved up my list to one of the best illustrators ever! Her pictures are the epitome of warmth, coziness and a feeling of home.
Alissa
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Many things that children are thankful for are related through simple rhymes. We found we could easily relate to the things illustrated in the book. The end of the book even includes a page to write things that you are thankful for.
Rachel
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: laurie-books
I Loved this book! The illustrations are absolutely stunning, and the message is very pleasant as well. There is a place at the end of the book to write what you're most thankful for that year, and I can see where this would be a sweet tradition of rereading every year at thanksgiving.
Charity
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, holidays
We loved this book. The pictures were colorful and happy. Most of the items the book mentions my own child could relate to
And be thankful for. So darling. One I would like to add to my own home library.
  • This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story