Start by marking “The Daughters of Ireland” as Want to Read:
The Daughters of Ireland

The Daughters of Ireland (Deverill Chronicles #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  2,069 Ratings  ·  181 Reviews
Ireland. 1925.

The war is over. But life will never be the same...

In the green hills of West Cork, Ireland, Castle Deverill has burned to the ground. But young Celia Deverill is determined to see her ruined ancestral home restored to its former glory — to the years when Celia ran through its vast halls with her cousin Kitty and their childhood friend Bridie Doyle.

Kitty hers
Published August 15th 2017 by William Morrow (first published July 14th 2016)

Lori
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Montefiore does a great job of including pieces of background from the previous novel to ensure an easy transition for the reader. This novel was much more of a family saga than the first; with focus being placed on several members of the Deverill & Doyle families instead of mainly Kitty. Looking forward to the last and final novel of this series. 4.5 stars.

Jess
Sep 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was pulled in by a pretty cover and few positive reviews on IG/GR. I slugged through this one and even finished. Then realized I'd lost some hours of my life over a book that reads like an Irish telenovela. So much angst over love, unrequited love, adulterous love, jealousy over misunderstandings that could easily be cleared up with a conversation, shady business dealings involving South African diamonds, and half hearted revenge plots x 2. I just found it to be lacking in substance. The char ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*3.5 stars
I came into The Daughters of Castle Deverill, the second book in a series written by established British author Santa Montefiore, having just read its predecessor, Songs of Love and War. Although it is not essential to have read the first book, Songs of Love and War, to enjoy The Daughters of Castle Deverill, I believe it enhanced my reading experience. It gave me a good handle on the characters and the scene that had been set. However, Montefiore does devote time in the Daughters of C
Teresa
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant!!!
I loved the first book in this trilogy and wondered if the second would come up to standard. It did. And it surpassed it. All the characters from the first book are here with the addition of new off spring as the years progress. There are twists and turns aplenty. I gasped out loud so many times with all the surprises coming my way. But the end just beat all. When Bridie's daughter goes in search of her real mother, the twist was totally unexpected! And the meeting in the
Pattie
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Already starting book 3...really enjoyed 1 and 2!
Anna
I gave 4.5 stars to the first book in this trilogy and deliberately saved this second installment for when I could curl up in a cosy chair and devour it uninterrupted; having finished work for the Christmas break, now was the perfect moment.

So what went wrong? It lacks the intimacy of the first book, and the feisty characters I'd loved first time round have now become two-dimensional and irritating. It jumps through the years with no pause to appreciate the present, meaning stories are rushed an
Tina
daughter of ireland pomegranit

When I read The Girl in the Castle  I didn't know it was book one in a trilogy.  That story ended well and didn't leave you hanging.  Maybe one little mystery at the end but otherwise, it could have been a stand alone novel.  It was quite a treat to find two more books were planned as I very much enjoyed the characters and plot.

The next book is titled Daughters of Ireland and picks up where book one left off.  The little mystery  at the end of book one explains who bought Castle Deverill.

The mai
Treacy
Brilliant can't wait till the third book next year !!!!!
Tina
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
daughter of ireland pomegranit

The mai
Haley
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it-read
At first, I felt like I was missing so many pieces of the puzzle. I jumped right into the deep end of the pool without floaties on. Who is this person, and this person? There is some kind of curse and the castle is doomed? There was a fire and EVERYONE is connected to everyone in some twisted way.

WHAT the WHAT?

Then I realized…this is the SECOND book in a trilogy. *facepalm*

Sometimes second books can stand alone–this one, however, cannot. And there is no indication on the cover that this is part
Marlene
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

In this second book in the Deverill Chronicles, following last year’s marvelous The Girl in the Castle, the focus shifts from Kitty Deverill to her cousin Celia, as the ownership of Deverill Castle falls out of the hands of the original line and into Celia’s collateral branch – with its better luck and greater fortune.

At least until the fall of 1929, when everybody’s fortunes take a plunge into the depths of the Great Depression.

The story here is still seen
Jeanette
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spotted this novel recently in a local charity shop and decided to purchase. My fault that I didn't realise that this is book 2 of a trilogy. Some books are easy to read as a stand alone, but found on this occasion that it wasn't so easy to pick up the story. I may purchase the first book sooner or later, as I do enjoy novels by this author.
Tracey
found this a slower read than normal for one of Santa Montefiore Books.
still an enjoyable read , just rather long and slow read with a lot of characters to remember.
Thea Jessen
I struggled getting through this one... not the cute romance novel with some family drama in it that I expected.

First off, I didn't connect to any of the characters. I didn't understand their motivations and actions, some of the "love stories" were just weird and misplaced, and the plot twists were just... okay.

I didn't like how the family curse was an actual curse from the 1600s, and that ghosts were actually real. However, that's just my personal preference. I think it would've been better i
Sandra de koning-vd pol
Ook deel II is zo indrukwekkend, je blijft lezen...nu in afwachting van deel III
Kristien Willems
Leuk vervolg op deel 1. Blijft boeienn dankzij de vele personages en verrassende verhaallijnen.
Carol Bee
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story and great characters, part of trilogy I believe. Can't wait to read the follow up. The story is set in South West of Ireland, in Cork, my favourite part of the island having spent many great holidays there. The author managed to capture the atmosphere of the countryside and coast of the area and reminded me of my walks through this wonderful part of Ireland
Deborah O'Regan
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the English version but cant find it on Goodreads.... great follow up to the first book . Songs of love and war. Cant wait for the third instalment .
Emily
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
The characters are very poorly written, and the plot is almost nonexistent. This was the worst book I've read this year.
Elaine Mennim Carver
Still loving this trilogy of books and can't wait for the next instalment.
Marijke
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wauw wat een geweldig boek.....
Colleen Turner
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Find my full review at http://aliteraryvacation.blogspot.com.

When I read and reviewed the first book in Santa Montefiore's Deverill Chronicles Trilogy, The Girl in the Castle, I knew this was a series I was going to love! Grand historic details and settings and dramatic situations made this a family saga that I couldn't get enough of. When the second book in the series, The Daughters of Ireland, came up for review I jumped at the chance to read it. What had happened to Kitty and Celia Deverill,
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
You wouldn't be interested in reading about the lives of three very different women living in Ireland with the Deverill Castle as the common setting? I was until I began reading The Daughter's of Ireland, at least that is what made me want to read the novel in the first place. To understand a few things, the novel takes place during 1925 to 1931 and involves the lives of three unusual women who have different motives for wanting essentially the same thing, true love and control. In the Edwardian ...more
Penny (Literary Hoarders)
The trilogy is called The Daughters of Ireland, or the Deverill Chronicles. Seems like they are being re-released...I've just finished #1 - Songs of Love and War - which has the different name from the original publication called, "Daughters of Castle Deverill".
Ellen Bossink
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mijn 2e Santa Montefioreboek en het 2e boek uit de Deverill serie heb ik geluisterd en gelezen via Bookchoice
Wat een heerlijk boek met prachtig uitgewerkte personages. Ook qua geschiedenis is het goed uitgewerkt. Ik houd van dit soort boeken. Nu lekker verder met deel 3!
Maria
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I loved the first book, but found myself skipping through pages in this one. The saga carries on well from the first book but it's a bit boring in some bits. It does set up well for book 3.
Carol Scheherazade
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Didn't realize its part 2/3 til end. Really enjoyed it tho. Reminded me of the family sagas from the @70s.
Denise Connon
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, looking forward to the next instalment.
Melissa Flanagin
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written!!!! I loved the characters and the settings.
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Celia, Kitty's cousin, somehow by sheer luck and marrying into a wealthy family, is able to buy Deverill Castle and while it's great they are keeping it in the family, it's still a loss to Kitty. Celia and her wealthy husband plan on restoring the castle to its original state while also adding in some of those extravagant modern amenities. Meanwhile Kitty is living in a smaller house nearby and although she should be happy with her husband and her adopted son, she can't help but long for Jack. A ...more
  • Die Jasminschwestern
  • La isla de las mil fuentes (Jamaika #1)
  • De verborgen geschiedenis van Courtillon
  • El secreto de Vesalio
  • Poet's Cottage
  • A Little Love (No Greater Love #4)
  • The Last Book
  • Undertaking Love
  • Country Loving (Talyton St George, #7)
  • Legacy
  • Met het bloed van mijn hart deel 2 (Outlander, #8)
  • Miss Match (Miss, #2)
  • Het meisje met het rode haar
  • Schuilplaats
  • De val
  • Ik wist het
  • The Heart Whisperer
  • A Nest of Sparrows
Born in England in 1970 Santa Montefiore grew up on a farm in Hampshire and was educated at Sherborne School for Girls. She read Spanish and Italian at Exeter University and spent much of the 90s in Buenos Aires, where her mother grew up. She converted to Judaism in 1998 and married historian Simon Sebag Montefiore in the Liberal Jewish Synagogue in London. They live with their two children, Lily ...more
More about Santa Montefiore

Deverill Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Girl in the Castle
  • The Last Secret of the Deverills (Deverill Chronicles, #3)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“She was one of those shallow people who rewrote their own history and believed in the absolute truth of their own version.” 0 likes
“There was nothing like losing something to make one value its worth.” 0 likes