Start by marking “The Endless Fall and Other Weird Fictions” as Want to Read:
The Endless Fall and Other Weird Fictions

The Endless Fall and Other Weird Fictions

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
“I love getting lost in the world (Jeffrey Thomas) creates, and can empathize with the difficulties his characters face, because they are just so real. I envy those of you making your first acquaintance with this author.” – From the introduction by Matthew Carpenter

Respected as one of today’s leading figures of weird fiction for his striking imagination, versatility, and
Published February 21st 2017 by Lovecraft eZine Press

To ask other readers questions about The Endless Fall and Other Weird Fictions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Endless Fall and Other Weird Fictions

Forrest
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've known Jeffrey's work (and Jeffrey) for a very long time now, nearly twenty years. I must admit that I am one of those horrible acquaintances that pops up every few years (or more) and remembers "Oh yeah, Jeffrey. I wonder what he's up to?"

Well, my timing was good, at least, this time around. I had been poking around the Lovecraft eZine website and noticed that Jeffrey had a new book out at about the same time I had wondered what he (and his brother, Scott, also an excellent writer, though o
Matthew
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magnificent. Weird, enthralling, and truly memorable. An amazing collection that I never wanted to end. Full review to come.

5 out of 5 stars.
David Bridges
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jeffrey Thomas has been one of the most reliably entertaining writers I have read, and The Endless Fall just solidifies his spot as a go-to author for dark weird fiction. Most of what I have read from Thomas, both shorts and novels have been from his Punktown universe. I love Punktown and I plan on working my way through as much of that world as possible, but I wanted to give some of Thomas' other work a chance, therefore, I picked up The Endless Fall.

The opening story Jar Of Mist is a superbly
S.P.
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As wildly imaginative as his stories are, initially I’m drawn into Jeffrey Thomas’ universe by recognition. A character’s guilt, desire, or confusion, or a moment of reckless ambition, serves as a lure. Something is already off kilter in the character's world, when we begin.

The story might portray an unfortunate situation—a man renting an apartment following a separation; a father visiting the last residence of his deceased daughter—but soon it begins to move inexorably toward a dreamlike state.
Duane
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you came here for Punktown, you won't be disappointed, even though there isn't any in this collection. Instead what you get are masterful short works by a writer who knows his stuff and doesn't trot out the same setpieces that some of the others do. Jeffrey Thomas' work sits at the pinnacle of the so-called "New Weird", with a healthy dose of science fiction and a soupçon of stark staring horror embedded in the speculation.
I could tell you which story is my favorite, but it changes all the ti
Jon R. Meyers
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely brilliant collection! More in depth review to come...
Robin Edman
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Weird, sure, but also so close to where we live.
John Meszaros
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jefferey Thomas is pretty famous in the realm of Weird fiction. Among his most popular creations is Punktown, a city on a distant planet where hundreds of extraterrestrial races try to survive amid class struggles, social alienation and gruesome body horror. The stories in The Endless Fall are not part of the Punktown Universe, though they all share many stylistic themes with that grim, starry city.

Thomas’ tales are a parade of phantasmogoria. There are whispers all along the edges, hints of w
Clint
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
"Their sentience is so far-reaching, so complex, so unfathomable, that it is as though we are without sentience by comparison."

I've noticed that in the past few years Jeffrey Thomas has moved away from horror a little in the direction of sci-fi/weird. Not that he was ever a pure "horror" writer, he's always stood on multiple genres and surfed with them hard and fast. He's still thrashing the waves, fear not, but his focus here is more on oddball twist endings and freaky ideas than trying to scar
Paul
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here's my review from See The Elephant:

Falling Towards the Weird

Jeffrey Thomas will be familiar to many readers as the author of the Punktown series of stories – scratch that, Jeffrey Thomas is famous among weird and science fiction readers, RPG players, and even comic book fans, as author of the Punktown chronicles of bizarre alien, and occasionally cosmic-horrific, goings-on at that eponymous offworld meeting place for all kinds of races and beings. That’s one very well-realized and – of cours
Ryan Pidhayny
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first encounter with Jeffrey Thomas was in his earlier collection Unholy Dimensions and it absolutely did not click with me. Ultimately won over by the incredible cover art, I decided to give him a second chance with The Endless Fall. I could not have been more pleasantly surprised. The Endless Fall is a great and incredibly consistent collection of weird horror stories. The atmospheres and worlds Thomas builds in a small sample size are top-notch. There were only a couple stories that I wasn ...more
Greg Gbur
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Though I’ve been in a bit of a reading funk the past few months due to life, work and stress, I managed to find one thing that helped me break out of it: long airline flights. Between recent trips to Seattle and Los Angeles (which I should probably blog about), I ended up reading a lot of lovely books, including research for my upcoming cat physics book as well as some excellent fiction. I tend to stock up my kindle with a lot of books by authors I’m unfamiliar with, and one of those I tackled w ...more
Jason Williams
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great short story collection by Jeffrey Thomas.

It is hard to choose among them but a few that really stood out were The Dogs, Ghosts in Amber, and the Red Machine. That being said, there are no bad or weak stories in this collection.

The story that provides the title for this collection is a bit enigmatic and I would certainly love to see a longer version that provided more detail on that world and the pyramid entities.

Thomas always creates characters with a depth that makes you either lo
David Haendler
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection takes the reader into eerie and alien worlds. Thomas excels at creating a sense of encounters with the unfathomable, with 'Jar of Mists,' 'The Endless Fall,' and 'The Individual in Question' being the most disconcerting of the lot. There is a pervading sense of awe and horror, and I like that Thomas doesn't skimp on the former. Not all of the stories clicked for me, but I'm looking forward to reading more.
Volodymyr
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018, fiction
The best modern weird fiction stories you can get now.
A masterful continuation of works by genre titans.
Don’t know much about Lovecraft, though there is a plenty of stories influenced by his style,
but “The Individual in question” is obviously the piece that would be considered Kafka’s best short story, if only it was not written by Thomas.
Jon Hilty
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Good collection! Earlier on, some of the stories held my interest a bit less thoroughly, with the first half of the book being a mix of three to five star material to me. From about the halfway point, starting from Sunset in Megalopolis, more consistently I found myself thinking the stories were all four or five star worthy! Another great collection overall, and while I prefer the thematically linked stories in the Punktown setting, some of these equalled those in setting and enjoyment factors.
Christopher Hickey
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
He Does It Again

Jeffrey Thomas is on my Read On Sight list. He should be on yours. The Endless Fall did not disappoint; it is fierce, savage, and full of heart and love.
Allan Smulling
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-edition
This was my introduction to Jeffrey Thomas's work. I found all of the short stories interesting and entertaining. I entered reading this collection expecting Lovecraftian tales of horror, but was presented with more insightful and psychological studies in the weird and strange - more Ligotti than Lovecraft, minus the baroque writing style.

Thomas's writing is direct and vivid and provided a great page turning experience. I'm looking forward to reading more!
Donald
Jan 20, 2018
Dan Leonard
Jun 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Jeffrey Thomas is an American author of fantastical fiction, the creator of the acclaimed milieu Punktown. Books in the Punktown universe include the short story collections PUNKTOWN, VOICES FROM PUNKTOWN, PUNKTOWN: SHADES OF GREY (with his brother, Scott Thomas), and GHOSTS OF PUNKTOWN. Novels in that setting include DEADSTOCK, BLUE WAR, MONSTROCITY, HEALTH AGENT, EVERYBODY SCREAM!, and RED CELLS ...more
More about Jeffrey Thomas