Start by marking “Keep in a Cold, Dark Place” as Want to Read:
Keep in a Cold, Dark Place

Keep in a Cold, Dark Place

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Reaching for her dream, Limpy unleashes a cute, fluffy, NIGHTMARE ...

Keep in a cold, dark place. That’s what’s written like some ancient law on every bag of potatoes the family farms. And it’s where Limpy fears she will always remain.

It’s also carved on a box of spheres she discovers in the cellar. Spheres that hatch.

Cute at first, the creatures begin to grow. Then the chi
Published March 7th 2017 by The Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about Keep in a Cold, Dark Place, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michael Stewart
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michael Stewart Hi, TJ, the genre is horror, but it's written for the middle grade market, typically 9-12 year old readers (but personally I love reading middle grade…moreHi, TJ, the genre is horror, but it's written for the middle grade market, typically 9-12 year old readers (but personally I love reading middle grade as well as writing it :) ). (less)

Laura Thomas
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can’t resist a good horror tale, and I very much enjoy ones spun for kids. I sure wish there had been more like this when I was young. But, you’re never too old to enjoy a gem like this.

Being a sweet, kind-hearted lass, Limpy doesn’t know any better when she places the box of eggs she discovered in the sun to warm. When one of the eggs hatches and out pops a cute little critter, she’s overjoyed. But then another egg hatches, and another. And what started as a kind act turns into horror.

Picturi
Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary)
Adult fans of the movie(s) Gremlins will find something to smile at within the pages of Keep in a Cold, Dark Place. Michael Stewart takes the furry to fury fuzzballs we all knew and loved, and twists their story just a bit to make it suitable for middle-grade fiction. Coos, cackles, and hijinks ensue when a young girl discovers something in family’s cellar that will have a permanent impact on everyone’s lives.

Taking place on a small potato farm in a small, podunk town with a Great Depression air
Janet Robel
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Too cute for words! Limphetta has grown up never knowing her mom and being raised by her dad and brothers. Growing up on a potato farm hasn't been easy for her, and she longs for freedom. Unknowingly, unleashing evil puts a new perspective on life. These creatures are up to no good. This is great for middle readers and adults alike. Just the right amount of scare for some.
Sherry Fundin
The cover for Keep In A Cold Dark Place by Michael F Stewart is sooo good, I knew I had to read this. I immediately thought of Gremlins and figured I was in for one hell of an adventure…and I was right.

Limpy is a poor young girl with large dreams. I get very angry over the way most people treat her. It takes all kinds to make up this world, and she does more than her fair share. Here dead mother haunts her thoughts. She is devoted to her family and her art. Her creativity and originality would p
Beth
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sorry Michael it took me so long to get around to reviewing this book. nuts!! I have been super busy, life always gets in the way, I am a reading machine, that's me!!! ... reviewing is sometimes a full time job ...& you don't get paid (humor, but seriously how can you get paid to read? sign me up!! please.) ... I love reading ... thank you Micheal for giving me this read ... LOVED IT!! I was such a fan of Gremlins as a kid. Watched it more recently ... it is like going to my childhood, they ...more
Ashley Aponte
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. The story was entertaining, and had a good message. The story flowed well, and the author had me at the edge of my seat for most of it. It was an interesting take on a well known myth, and the connection that the creatures had with the humans was unique. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a tame horror.

#TheUnratedBookshelf
Elke
Reminiscent of the Gremlins, but more gruesome, 'Keep in a Cold, Dark Place' is a perfect story about the opening of Pandora's Box and the cutest little furry creatures that make your heart weep...that is, until they grow into something more 'fangy' than furry. Once I saw the cover, I just knew I had to read this book - reading the summary was only a formality born from habit here, but it did confirm that my impulsive reaction was not a mistake.

The story begins harmless enough, introducing our f
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Limpy, whose family owns a failing potato farm on the brink of foreclosure, desperately wants to escape to art school and pursue her dream. When she discovers a mysterious box containing even more mysterious eggs in the cellar, she unwittingly unleashes a historical nightmare that threatens to tear apart the final threads holding her family together.

Limpy is the only daughter in her family and was unlucky enough
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**This book was reviewed via XPresso Blog Tours**

We shape our own worst nightmares, and so we hold the key to their banishment. Sometimes the things we fear the most need never be feared at all. Stewart's Keep in a Cold, Dark Place is a witty commentary on fear, and how we often let it get the better of us. Ignore your fears at your own peril, for ignored and neglected fears can turn into raging monsters that overtake your life.

Limpy lives in a rather provincial town, a village really, on a pot
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
This one my first novel by this author but I will certainly be checking out more as this was a fun MG horror story.

Limpy wants nothing more than to leave her home on the potato farm and her answer to that is through her art and winning a scholarship if she can get her entry done in time and get her dad to approve. That would be the hardest part. One day when doing chores she finds a weird box in the ground with some funny writing on it. Curiosity gets the best of her so she opens it and finds s
Pat Cummings
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Limpy's lot is not a happy one; like Jerusha Bromley in Michener's Hawaii, she seeks escape from a family potato farm where she toils without respect or appreciation. The girl's daily duties include all the cooking and cleaning, plus grading potatoes, bagging them, stitching the bags shut, and toting them down into the cool, dry cellar for storage.

At school, she supplements her ordinary education with Internet research. If only the local art academy will accept her project, a fabric-art portrai
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)

Audio Audits
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, horror
Limpy is a motherless child. She has big plans for her future if she can just figure out how to overcome not only her own fears but the fears of her entire family. Time’s a ticking though. Limpy’s family may lose their home and there are things lurking in the basement. Things meant to stay in the dark and when brought into the light begin to feed off the fears of Limpy and her kin.

This is a children’s book, but trust me when I say this scary story will give adults the chills too and that’s a goo
Kathy Finfrock
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this novel about a young girl desperate to find a way off the farm she has lived her whole life. She has a good shot at winning a scholarship to a prestige art school, but lacks the support of her family. Her dad wants nothing but for her to cook, clean, and work the potatoes on the cursed land. She has enemies at school and yet she persists in working on her art project in order to submit it before the deadline. Things get exciting when she finds the hatchlings. Mischief abounds as he ...more
J.B. Rockwell
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A super fun read that's extremely well-written. The Gremlins comparison is obvious (kids finds cute little monster that turns out to be HORRIBLE MUST KILL IT MONSTER) but this is in no way a rehash of that story. The monsters here (chupacabras) are friends and companions for lonely Limpy--a girl raised on a potato farm who dreams of something better, including a family that is, well...nicer than grumpy old dad and her mean old brothers. But when thungs go south--and they do, big time!--Limpy and ...more
Michelle
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

When a cache of brightly coloured eggs hatches into a clutch of cute furry creatures Limpy O'Malley thinks she's found some new friends. But when the creatures mischief takes a darker turn Limpy and her family and friend, Emmanuel, find themselves in a race against time to save the family farm and their own lives.

An entertaining story for middle graders but not really enough scares or peril for older, teenage, children. Perhaps the most disturbing pa
Jasmyn
This was such a cute book! But if your younger one is scared easily, I'd steer clear. There's a good dose of scary on the pages with bullies, monsters, curses, and life screaming down on Limpy. There's a lot going on in the book, and the author does a great job of weaving the different elements together into one complete story with all the loose threads wrapped up so nicely.

First, we have Limpy's quest to get out of the small little hole of a town she lives in. She hates the town, she hates her
Bonnie Keck
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Unlimited There was just something a bit off to me for some reason, liked it but not luved it type thing.

Ever think about Gremlins or gremlins or things that go bump in the night and then some? This is worse than that, deadlier, and is a whole lot harder to beat. I might not be wanting potatoes any time soon, either. Gotta luv the cover art too. Would like to see a picture of the stuffed toy and the potato sack art.

4 is to equal 4 on amazon.
Maria
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for middle graders and for some adults as well. The story is well developed and very intriguing. You find yourself wanting to know what happens next and next and next, then first thing you know it's already the dawn. I think young readers will absolutely enjoye this one.

disclaimer: I got a copy from netgalley for my honest review.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Limpy is a young girl who lives on a potato farm with her father and brothers. Her dream is to go to art school and one day leave the farm. Limpy’s mother died when she was born and for as long as Limpy can probably remember she has worked on the farm with her father and brothers. Limpy’s father has never gotten over her mother’s death and keeps a potato sack in the music room so they can remember her and never forget.

Limpy is working in the cellar one day sorting out bags of potatoes when she
Troy Martin
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a book which I won and I'm so happy I did!

Very enjoyable and it has a good message, which I won't reveal as that would be a spoiler.
Safiyyah El-kher
rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2017
Kelli Bergeman
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Limphetta has one desire, to get off the potato farm where she works until her fingers bleed, leaving her no time to work on her art. Limphetta also has one fear, that she will never get off the farm. Keep in a Cold, Dark Place by Michael F. Stewart combines the real life struggle of a young girl with the excitement of mischievous, fantastical creatures that at first seem harmless, but soon show their true identities. In the spirit of Gremlins, this tale has a wonderful balance of reality and fa ...more
Rachel T
Jul 14, 2017
Julie Williams
Jul 14, 2017
Veronica
Limpy knows that there is more to life than the family farm and wants a chance to shine at art school but it seems like she will never get the chance. While storing potatoes in the cellar, Limpy finds a mysterious box and makes the huge mistake of opening it. Inside she finds mysterious eggs which hatch into adorable creatures. Or so she thinks. Limpy discovers the creatures are not what they seem and she needs to find a way of undoing the damage she has done and salvage any chance she has to go ...more
Kristina Aziz
Jun 25, 2017
Michael F. Stewart is the winner of the 2015 Claymore Award and author of the Assured Destruction Series (a Foreword Book of the Year Honorable Mention, Library Journal's Best Self Published Book 2015: runner-up, semifinalist in the 2014 Kindle Book Awards, and winner of The Creation of Stories: Best YA Award at the Toronto International Book Fair).

He likes to combine storytelling with technology
More about Michael F. Stewart...