Start by marking “Grand Jury” as Want to Read:
Grand Jury

Grand Jury

The New York police seize more than a million dollars tainted with heroin powder, implicating two elderly and distinguished Chinatown residents. Their case is rushed before the grand jury.

Susan Linwood and David Clark are strangers before being asked to serve in the name of justice. Yet as prosecutor Dan Mahoney presents the drug-conspiracy case, they soon become completel
Published May 10th 1996 by Dutton Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Grand Jury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grand Jury

Carey
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was deeply hooked by the storyline. In fact I highly recommend reading this book. Engaging and you can see our two main protagonists change personally as they go through the story.
I even was writing in the book my reactions to the story. For example goons in this book will murk ya for around $25 USD (Hong Kong currency conversion). Also one protagonist, Susan, wrote an Op-Ed in a newspaper accusing the DA of taking shortcuts and how they seize assets and get to keep them (even if no criminal c
Chuck
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A facinating legal thriller that starts with an inside view of the Grand Jury and carries through Chinatown, Hong Kong, the country of China, and back to New York. I felt the word pictures were beautiful, the characters had depth, and the language was real.

It is a very long book but held my interest until the very end. Not much physical action in this one, but lots of intrigue and plot turns. Other reviewers called it, "Riveting", "...engrossing", and "...suspenseful". I would agree!
Tabitha Rohm
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will be honest, I could not get into this book. I couldn't follow the characters, the story line, or problem. There was a lot of jumping around from one scene to another scene. If I was watching a movie of this book, I would probably have a seizure trying to keep up (and I'm not prone to seizures).
Katherine
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!!! What a wonderful, satisfying read!! Grand in scope, characters, setting, and insider police and grand jury stuff. A clear look into Chinese dealings of a non legal nature and their outcome.
Bern Callahan
An interesting premise, good plot, would benefit by being about 150 pages shorter
Maurean
Well....while Mr. Friedman does spin an interesting web of intrique and his characters are very detailed and multi-dimentional (altho, I didn't really like the heroine of this one), I think this one could have been just as well-written and entertaining, in about 200 pages less. At nearly 700 pages, I found myself 'skimming' some of the more irrelevent passages, just to get to the end! Yes, a tad long, but entertaining enough that I would probably read others by Friedman.
Jessica
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I don't know what to think about this book. Overall it was good. There were parts that were very slow. Part of me feels it was intentional based on the cultures in the book and how deliberate they appear to be. And then, when it comes to the end it's just over. I feel as though some of the middle could have been cut back so there was more time to focus on the end. There were parts of the story that may not have been necessary.
Marilyn
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about the grand jury process. I don't think I want to be involved with the lives of those appearing in front of the grand jury. The involment almost proved fatal. There was a lot of action in this book for the primary characters and it kept my interest clear through. All in all, it was pretty good read.
Ellen
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Took forever to read. Blah
Dona Krueger
Wish this had a 2 and 1/2 rating because it didn't reach three for me. The information about drugs, dirty cops and China was extremely interesting, but what happened with her son, Charles? It seemed that the book ended prematurely - even with 690 pages. There are things left unresolved (as in life) but somehow it felt as if Friedman ran out of energy to complete the novel.
Elizabeth
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have another Philip Friedman book that I have enjoyed rereading many times over the years, but for some reason I'd never gotten another by him. This one was just as good as the one I'd already read. I'm going to keep my eyes out for more by him next time I hit the library.
Jim Moffett
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
12-96
Scott
Oct 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too long, too dull, not a good read.
Susan
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, gave-away
It was not interesting enough to read quickly, but good enough to finish.
Eric_W
Not a bad story, but the narrator of this audiobook drove me nuts. Couldn't finish.
Cws
Oct 02, 2008 added it
Shelves: adventure
A Fri
Marianne
Nov 17, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book had great potential but was very tedious to read. I abandoned it after 100 pages that took days to read.
Jerry-Mac
Nov 21, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Anna-Maria
Laborious reading ... to much legal complexity and not enough storyline ... wrapped up rather abruptly.
Ilana
Jun 10, 2011
Mom
Aug 24, 2011
Karen
Oct 04, 2012
Darlene Ball
rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2015

• Key Witness
  • Adept
  • Guilty Pleasures
  • A Key to the Suite
  • Arabesk (Cetin Ikmen, #3)
  • Why Things Bite Back: Technology and the Revenge of Unintended Consequences
  • The Magdalene Cipher
  • Play to the End
  • Day of Confession
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • F2f (R)
  • Skinner's Mission (Bob Skinner, #6)
  • Without Mercy (Sean Dillon, #13)
  • While Other People Sleep
  • The Last Raven  (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #7)
  • The Good Liar
Philip Friedman’s novels Reasonable Doubt, Inadmissible Evidence and Grand Jury spent a total of 26 weeks on The New York Times’ bestseller lists, and appeared on bestseller lists around the world. His cold war thriller, Termination Order, called “one of the best of the year,” was a New York Times Notable Book. He is also the co-author of The Pilates Method of Physical and Mental Conditioning, the ...more