Start by marking “A Cherry Sinister Murder (Slice of Paradise Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
A Cherry Sinister Murder (Slice of Paradise Mystery #1)

A Cherry Sinister Murder

(Slice of Paradise Mystery #1)

Faith Franklin is a dreamer.  She dreams of cakes & pies.  She dreams of crepes & brownies.  And, more than anything, she dreams of making a career of serving her delicious treats to an adoring public.

So, when her grandmother calls and asks her to move to Florida to help run her café, she cannot get out of Minnesota fast enough!  And before she knows it she is s
Published March 8th 2017 by McGovern Books

To ask other readers questions about A Cherry Sinister Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cherry Sinister Murder

Noriko
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A cute cozy mystery with likeable characters and a nice story where the heroine trying to realize her dream.

The writing is solid and the story kicks off pretty nicely with Faith, the heroine, having an opportunity fall into her lap after miserably failing in her previous jobs. The first chapter is quite strong and gripped me straight away. The conflicts with a begrudged cupcake shop owner, Joanne is also well depicted and compelling, there are lots of moments where I was emotionally engaged and
QNPoohBear
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Kindle freebie

20-something Faith Franklin has a passion for baking beautiful and scrumptious treats. She bakes when she is feeling sad, when she's feeling happy and when she wants to create something new. She loves the challenge of developing the perfect flavor combinations and designs. Yet she's stuck working at a corner store and living with her mother. When her grandmother Bessie calls to offer Faith a chance to run "Bessie's Place", a tea room in Florida, Faith jumps at the chance.
Tari
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun and quick to read mystery. I've decided to randomly pick some first in series that aren't going to take me terribly long to read before I need to start reading some book club books.

Faith lives with her mom, Diana in cold and snowy MN, longing for her own cafe/bakery while her mom just longs to be an author instead of a proofreader. A call from Faith's Grandma Bessie changes her life. She has offered for Faith to run her tearoom in Paradise, FL. With new kittens that her mo
Christine
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies
This is the first book in the slice of paradise series. Faith Franklin is living with her mother working at a job that she doesn't like. She dreams of owning her own bakeshop. When her grandma Bessie, calls and tells her she wants Faith to run her tearoom. Faith accepts and moves to Florida with her two kittens to start fresh. When she arrives, she discovers just how much work her grandmothers tearoom needed. Faith, along with her coworker, Laura, and Laura's cousin, Nathan, set out to renovate ...more
Deanna
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, mystery
A Cherry Sinister Murder by Nancy McGovern and Cyra Bruce is the beginning of the Slice of Paradise cozy mystery series. Faith Franklin's only passion is baking; so when her grandmother calls want her to come run her cafe, Faith is thrilled and immediately sets out for Florida. While she is still renovating the cafe, the owner of a nearby business complains that she cannot serve cupcakes. Faith tries to be polite, but it doesn't work. The outlook quickly takes a turn for the worse when the woman ...more
Kate ★
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2019-reads
Not a fan. The title and book cover caught my eye, but after reading the book, nothing seemed to stand out.

I love mystery and murder novels, but this one wasn't interesting at all. I'm glad it was a short read so I wouldn't have to go through more pages. The plot was a terrible case of unfortunate coincidences, but a lot of it were unbelievable that even solving the case was short of exciting.

The characters we forgettable. I initially liked Laura but even her got a bit annoying in the middle whe
Doreen
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge-2017
Editing mistakes & rushed feeling

I enjoyed the character development & the beautifully described baked goodies. The murder & consecutive events leading up to figuring out who was responsible was poorly constructed & there were issues with editing that set my teeth on edge from the start. This could have been a great book if more time had been taken.
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This ended up being a good read. Faith moves to Florida to help out her grandma. Shortly after she gets there a woman is murdered. Of course the police think she did it. So with the help of her new friends they try to figure out who did do it. I will admit that I was surprised with how it all went down but in a good way. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the series is going to. go.
Julianne O'Brien
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I needed something lighter to mix it up after some heavier reading. This fit the bill. However, it didn't wow me. I don't know if it was because there were two authors but it just fell flat. It seemed more like some one's school creative writing assignment than a published novel. There were a lot of things about the setup that didn't seem to make sense. Bessie supposedly owned the land/building and they could remodel without talking to Ellis, but yet he controlled when people could access things ...more
Jenn
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
This was pretty awful. The dialogue was atrocious. It was stilted and unbelievable. It honestly read like a middle schooler's first foray into writing. The MC and her new BFF thought each other was HILARIOUS, but nothing they said was really all that funny. The flirting was juvenile.

Also, what was with the property manager guy threatening to fire everyone. Would he really have that power to fire employees of independent businesses? I wouldn't think so.

The mystery was also very thin. There just
Eunice
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder
Where do I begin? I really thought that this murder mystery book was just delightful! The book revolves around Faith Franklin, a young 20 something who has a love of baking. She has no direction in life until her grandmother asks her to come to Florida and run her café. Faith begins to remodel the café and change up the menu in preparation for the remodel when suddenly the owner of a cupcake place finds out that Faith plans on having cupcakes at her location too. This might not seem like an issu ...more
Bev
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
Faith Franklin lives with her mother in California. Faith is always baking things, her mother tells her she could make a living being a baker, but Faith has no money, and no experience in the business. It has been a dream of hers since she was seven years old to own her own bakery. Then her Grandmother Bessie calls from Florida. She wants Faith to move to Florida and help her with Bessie's Cafe. Grandma Bessie gets an apartment for her to live since Grandma lives with someone else for assistance ...more
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this one, because I've liked other books by Ms. McGovern. However, Faith had very little to recommend her. She spends half the book in a panic and the other half wishing she could just bake and ignore all the other responsibilities of a bakery. Frankly if her grandmother hadn't handed it to her, she would have never gotten it off the ground in real life. The side characters all felt flat, and it felt like she only solved the mystery through stumbling onto key evidence and ...more
Stef
The MC is very likeable, as is her newfound friend. Other characters around her remain flat, but are promising.
I love the idea of calling the focal location "A Slice of Paradise", and I can see everything that's being done to make said place shine. But will that make this café shine in the eyes of people hitherto unwilling to be turned into customers?
The plot took off well, but the range of suspects was extremely small.
There was no real "sleuthing" on part of the MC, but she does work out what h
Leah
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This takes place in Florida. It involves two bakers, a gardener, romance, and a public argument. The argument is between the two bakers, and the romance us between one of the bakers and the gardener. The death of Joanne, on of the bakers, is made to look like Faith is the murderer. The mystery isn't the main focus of the story, romance is. The resolution of the mystery was a bit silly, but I did like it.
Holly
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable new series debut! Faith moves to help her grandmother Bessie with her bakery. Bessie takes a much needed vacation and Faith begins renovating the bakery. Faith, her new friend and coworker, Laura, and Laura ' s cousin Nathan work together to figure out what happened to Joanna, a bitter rival. This is a very pleasant cozy mystery with a surprise twist ending. There are no violent scenes or graphic desciptions.
Sandra Hernandez
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent

I cant decide if I enjoy this book or if it was just okay. The characters are decent. My favorite is the grandma though her role is small, the main characters were OK a bit annoying, Lauren gets mad way to easily. I feel this book was written by an amateur who had a good idea but the storytelling kinda fell. If I read more from this series I hope the stories are better and the characters improve
Lori Mills
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great cosy mystery

I read this authors paranormal books and loved them, so I decided to read this even tho not paranormal and loved it! I really got hungry reading it! Faith was living in Minnesota and moved to Florida to take over her grandmother's tea room. A lot happened to her in such a short time including a murder. I'm buying the second book now. Oh and there is a recipe at the end!!
Reader43
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new series and new authors for me.

As I am not a baker, I am fascinated by the combinations true bakers introduce in both bakeries and novels. The authors are new to me and I will be looking for other books by either one or both. I like the series beginning and the unexpected ending, I did not see that coming. I received this free and am writing an honest review.
Sharon M. Turner
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Faith moves to Florida.

Given the chance to move to Florida and renovate her Grandmother's beach side shop has given Faith the chance she has always wanted. Within days she finds herself involved in a murder and then as the prime suspect she is also accused in a beating also. All she wants to do is make beautiful desserts and take care of her Grandma.
Lauren
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a cute story about a woman who moves to Florida to help her grandmother with her business. Of course she decides to overtake the entire business and in doing so upset other business owners. When one of them whines up dead she finds herself as suspect number one. Entertaining read I just wish we had a little more backstory on one of the cops.
E
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this Kindle freebie cozy mystery. I think part of the problem was that it was written by two authors; it was too disjointed and did not flow well. There are 5 of these mysteries (the entire set was free). If I get desperate, I might give #2 a chance, but I have too many other good books to read.
Rebecca
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 star or a smidgen more

The pacing was too slow for the genre. It was focused more on the main character and the murder was introduced late. That shortened the investigative time frame significantly, making it less interesting. Also I don't believe the sheriff or deputy would have missed the crucial clue.
Lisa Crenshaw
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an ok cozy mystery but I would not say it stood out among any other authors. The dialogue was a little simplistic as well as the thinking of the main character. In a way, it almost seemed more juvenile instead of people in their 20s. There was quite of bit of talk that included "like" which is one thing I am not fond of hearing and certainly don't care for in reading.
gary c lehn
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great job done..

I enjoyed this story, it seems I say that about most stories, but not all. I found this story to be a pleasure to send a night of reading, you women where able to keep you totally in the dark, darn I can usually get a good idea of who fun it, not even close this time! Thank youse!
Kathy
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading a box set of these Slice of Paradise mysteries and will admit that I loved every one. They're all set in Florida and revolve around newbie to town Faith. She can't seem to do anything right in the local authorities' opinion who are, of course, more than willing to pin the recent murder on her. That's all I'm going to say except that you'll enjoy the whole series.
Alysha
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
Absolutely delightful! Faith finally gets to see her dreams realized when her Grandma Bessie hands over her café. With her adorable balls of fluff Cirrus and Nimbus in tow, they make new friends in Laura and Nathan. Hilarity and chaos abound.
Val
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It was just okay

I didn't altogether care for this book. At first it seemed to jump in time and I had a heck of a time following along. After the murder I thought the deputy was stupid and not fit for the job.
Krystyna
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cupcakes can be poison

Enjoyable. Can cupcakes be bad for your health?
The characters are real, the situation is believable and the story is well written. It even has a touch of romance thrown in. Recommended.
Cindy
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cherry Should Not Go On Top

I think this was a cute, cozy mystery set in Florida in a tearoom. I know that one recipe was given at the end but the others in the book sound delicious too!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Buttered and Scrambled With Murder (A Josie Rizzo Cozy Mystery #4)
  • Oodles of Poodles (Pet Rescue Mystery #4)
  • Witch Happens (The Summer Sisters Witch Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Perfectly Pickled (Mina Kitchen #4)
  • Two O'Clock Heist (Inspector Rebecca Mayfield Mystery, #2)
  • Good Witch Hunting (Witchless in Seattle, #7)
  • Cat in a Yellow Spotlight (Midnight Louie #26)
  • Attorney-at-Paw (A Chrissy the Shih Tzu Mystery, #1)
  • Case of the Fleet-Footed Mummy (Corgi Case Files, #2)
  • A Tangled Teaser (Witches of Hemlock Cove #3)
  • Fashion Faux Paw (Dog Walker Mysteries, #6)
I'm a mother, wife, homemaker, pet lover, teacher, student, reader, writer, drinker of tea & wine (depending on the time of day) and sleep-deprived dreamer. I live in Syracuse, NY, with my husband, Doug (also a writer with books available on Amazon), our three children and too many furred & feathered friends to list!

Slice of Paradise Mystery (5 books)
  • The Cheesecake Fake (Slice of Paradise Mysteries #2)
  • The Blackmail Flour Trail (Slice of Paradise #3)
  • Banana Whip Safari Trip (Slice of Paradise Mystery #4)
  • Pecan Flan Murder Plan (Slice of Paradise Mysteries #5)