Start by marking “Transhuman” as Want to Read:
Transhuman

Transhuman

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  500 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Jonathan Hickman and JM Ringuet present a mockumentary about the future, where genetically engineered humans are created by rival companies in an attempt to corner the market under the guise of bettering the world. Transhuman is an irreverent view of the origin of a new technology, the starting of rival companies, the piles of cash made from taking them public, and the mar ...more
Paperback, First, 120 pages
Published February 10th 2009 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Transhuman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transhuman

Anthony
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: digital, image
I really like Hickmans early creator owned work, nightly news and Pax Romana are amazing books, but this was a real chore to get through and not very fulfilling when I finished it.

It's done as almost a talking head documentary, with a presenter like character talking to the reader throughout the book, explaining what it is we're reading. And then there's the science, but because it's Hickman it's quazi-weird science fictiony science.

If this had focused on the evil plotting monkeys and the people
Thom Dunn
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book uses gorgeous artwork to tell an original story about the rise of Transhumanism as a corporate pissing match, and it embodies everything that is wrong with Jonathan Hickman as a writer.

Don't get me wrong, Hickman is incredibly creative and kind of a mad genius — he's just a terrible storyteller. I've come to accept this fact. TRANSHUMAN is told as a "documentary" about the rise of the 3 largest Transhumanist corporations, which I guess is a clever conceit, except (1) why make a fiction
Paul W.
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This was entertaining but a little too wink and nod for me. Hickman tries to mix some humor with an interesting subject, but instead ends up with less of both. He does some X-men analogues and but it doesn't show his usual cleverness and verve. Without any clear heroes or villains, it just seems somewhat flat. It could have and should have been better.
Rebekka
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the concept and story idea; however, found it difficult to concentrate and become fully immersed inthe world due to the documentary style story-telling. Felt like I was always on the outside; maybe that's what they wanted. More to come but those are my initial thoughts.
Dave Wenzlick
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Just OK.
Mike
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creator-owned
This book starts off with a catchy hook: documentary style storytelling, talking to the audience as if they already knew all the salient details of the story about to unfold. It's damned addictive, because Hickman tantalises the reader with hints and tidbits of massive changes to human history that he's deliberately withholding from us.

This book also surprised me with something I'm not used to from Hickman: emotional undercurrents and "dirty" art. Hickman has an ear for smarm and other passive-a
Anna
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Issue 1 - Interesting way to write this - in a documentary style. I'm feeling an underlying "badness" leaking through the pages that I'm sure will come up eventually.

Issue 2 - Losing interest here. All the money talk and business stuff is boring to me. Though I was a bit amused by the We3 reference...

Issue 3 - Still rather bored with the business jargon, even to the point where the story itself is getting boring. I don't much care about the monkeys. I care about the genetic enhancement stuff, bu
David Maine
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Jonathan Hickman came to my attention three years ago, when he was writing independent comics and publishing them through Image. his debut The Nightly News was fantastic, blending a strong visual/graphic arts sense with a fractured storyline. Transhuman is his follow-up and it's not quite as good. Although entertaining, it's short (four issues, or chapters, as compared to six), and it feels a little thin. It's still entertaining and the art is okay, but it's neither as good as The Nightly News n ...more
James
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
An early work by Jonathan Hickman, taking us through a tongue-in-cheek tour of a post-human future. Humanity has been transformed by robotic implants and genetic engineering, and "Transhuman" takes on a "behind-the-music" journey through the corporate misconduct and mutated super-monkeys it took to get there.

It's a decent idea, but the execution doesn't quite work. The story here is too slapdash to serve as a serious exploration of the concept, but there aren't enough laughs for it to serve as a
Eloisa
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this.
It is part of a series yet each volume has an independent story, so you don't miss out anything background-wise on some characters if you only read one of them, like I did.

I love this.
You pick it. Open it and start checking out the pages and the first thing that crosses your mind is: "webdesign". This comic looks like a website! Indeed, not only the design of the covers of the chapters calls out for the web user in me, but along the story there's little details that keep evoking the
Artur Coelho
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Esta obra saída da interessante mente de Hickman promete mais do que fornece. Pelo título e temática esperaríamos uma reflexão visceral sobre genética, cibernética e transhumanismo com a acutilância similar à de The Nightly News teve para com a manipulação dos media. Mas Hickman não vai por esse caminho. Constrói um divertido falso documentário sobre capitalismo desenfreado aplicado ao transhumanismo que mistura experiências com genética aumentativa ou cibernética. A crítica aos gigantes da info ...more
Nick
While I enjoyed most of this book, I couldn't help thinking that it might have been better at several points in the story with stronger editing. In a few cases, Hickman chose cute or snarky over believable, giving it a style halfway between a dark humor mockumentary and a serious cautionary tale. The blend did not always work well, although the ape versions of the X-Men and a nod to the series We3 were both amusing. The discussion of the boundaries of sentience and the morality of bio-enhancemen ...more
I liked the premise of the story but I can't say the book grabbed me. This story is imagining a future, a time when it's easy for people to purchase enhancements that let them live longer, healthier lives, or to purchase cybernetic limbs. The two different approaches to improving humanity had led to corporate warfare, and that's what the story focuses on, the leaders of the various companies responsible for the new technology.

It's set up as a documentary, told years after the events in question
Joe Young
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jonathan Hickman - Writer
Jim Ringuet - Illustrator

A very interesting story told as a documentary examing the rise, competition and decline of two companies responsible for the development of technology that led humans to the next level of evolution - hence the title "transhumans."

Gripping writing and fascinating ideas by Hickman carry this story. The art by Mr. Ringuet is mediocre and rather static. Still, if you're in the mood for a wordy, idea-rich comic this is right up your alley.

Recommended
Daniel Parks
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Genetically engineered super intelligent and super horny chimps brutally anger raping genitically engineered superheros? Sign me up! Extra kudos for the blatant shout out to Grant Morrison in the form of a panel showing the dog and cat from We3. Only 4 stars because it's not so much an in depth, fully formed story as it is just a series of twisted jokes riffing on an interesting sci-fi concept. He's done much better work (see The Nightly News), but this is still top notch insanity from one of th ...more
Tom
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting sci-fi satire set sometime in the near future. A documentary is being made about a pair of companies, originally fronted by a pair of angry ex-spouses, each trying to come up with a way of improving the human condition using various combinations of cybernetics or genetic engineering. I'm not sure I would call it all that funny, but let's say the final reveal on the last couple pages hammers the satirical message home, and it turns out there was a clue in the narrative the whole ti ...more
Brian
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, fiction, m
One of the most poorly told stories I've ever encountered in any medium. Hickman is one of my favorite writers, but this felt like pure masturbation, an idea he felt was too good for the world not to have, though he didn't feel like putting in any work to do it justice. It's 100% exposition, and tired exposition at that. I would not recommend this book to anyone. It only receives two stars instead of one because the art is decent.
waits4thebus
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Hmm. Documentary style story telling the age of genetic manipulation, or the beginning of the next phase of human evolution. There were moments of boredom, and the art wasn't really likeable, but the ending was interesting. I did like applying an analysis similar to writeups of Apple to something that hasn't happened yet. Predictably, even when we have the options of improving humanity, we are still selfish, greedy mammals.
Jason Alvey
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice work by Hickman, with the pseudo-documentary style and the social commentary with just-satirical-enough bite. JM Ringuet's art balanced the televisual approach and the fantastical content well - in all it's a pretty compelling read. Ostensibly a story about evolution, I was most intrigued by what Hickman had to say about business and innovation. A great example of what comics can be.
Malcolm Ross
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this because it said transhuman and I am a total sucker for that, I admit it.
But Hickman didn't disappoint. The comic reads like a documentary about the history of some future transhuman culture, playing prototypical but well fleshed out and interesting characters against each other. And the art is good too!!!!
Blake Petit
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really clever sci-fi story. It's a semi-thriller about a pair of tech companies racing each other to change the world with enhanced humans. The story is told in the form of a documentary after the race is over. The conceit works well and nicely hides a clever twist at the end. Some funny bits and some great science fiction make this one of my favorite works by Hickman.
Jeff Raymond
A strange, well-done story. Not really sure what to make of it - it's a satire of sorts, not always successful but not a failure either, but quick and interesting enough to be worth my time. Closer to a 3.5, I suppose, but I can't really figure out what I liked or disliked about it, if that makes any sense.
Dann
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cyberpunk, comics
As an academic/PhD candidate focusing on transhumanism/posthumanism, this comic was an interesting read. The art is gritty, but works well with the story. A little disappointed towards the end, but overall, I enjoy the faux documentary style. Nice concepts, and wonderful ideas.
Xavier
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
maybe 3.5 the book was enjoyable enough i suppose but like the story mostly goes nowhere. there's a lot of talk and not a lot of doing? i don't know but i do know this book had so few women but they were treated like shit so yeah.
Chris (The Genre Fiend)
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A confronting, stark portrayal of humanity's self-destructive quest for perfection, evoking a mashup of Gattaca, Planet of the Apes and the real-life machinations of companies like Apple and Microsoft. Bloody good stuff.
Nick Kives
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an odd book, but the last chapter brought it all together and made it great. It was kind slow since it was setup as if you were watching a documentary with a narrator who is doing interviews throughout to tell the story.
Daniel Edelman
Feb 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
An absolute insult to the medium of comics. You are given the privilege of doing ANYTHING by Image and the best you can come up with is a bunch of people talking to camera. And the art is horrible. This has taken the top/bottom spot as my least favorite comic of all time
Chad
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
a solid idea that just wasn't executed to the fullest potential. Mostly I'm disappointed that Hickman didn't do the art for this himself. His infographic-heavy style seems like it would have been a perfect fit for a faux documentary.
Matthew Campbell
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
a bit of a trifle compared to a lot of hickman's other work but enjoyable, well-written, especially for a series more about the politics of venture capitalism and the tech industry rather than the 'what-if' science fiction implied by its title.
Anoop Menon
Nov 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Starts off interestingly enough;as a mockumentary of the cutthroat pharmaceutical/cosmetics industry & how it exploits basic human nature,for profit.Yet the story/art/characters remain unimpressive.Hickman's best work? Nope,not by a long shot.
Goodreads Librari...: Is "comixology" a valid book format 5 103 Mar 20, 2012 04:47AM
  • The Massive, Vol. 2: Subcontinental
  • Fear Agent, Volume 4: Hatchet Job
  • Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison
  • Casanova, Vol. 1: Luxuria
  • Prophet, Volume 1: Remission
  • Ocean
  • Powers, Vol. 12: The 25 Coolest Dead Superheroes of All Time
  • The Infinite Horizon
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at
More about Jonathan Hickman...