Start by marking “Microservice Patterns” as Want to Read:
Microservice Patterns

Microservice Patterns

The monolithic architecture works well for small, simple applications. However, successful applications have a habit of growing. Eventually the development team ends up in what is known as monolithic hell. All aspects of software development and deployment become painfully slow. The solution is to adopt the microservice architecture, which structures an application as a ...more
Published 2017 by Manning Publications

To ask other readers questions about Microservice Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microservice Patterns

Start your review of Microservice Patterns
Alexei Shmidman
Dec 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Too many words, too little information. The size of the book can be reduced dramatically. Examples show an implementation with a custom framework, rather than an architectural approach.
Francois D’Agostini
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book has a lot of content and goes into a lot of details.
While it's nice to have such a comprehensive view, I felt sometimes that the book was getting into too much details.
We also can see that the author would like us to use the frameworks he has built (like the Eventuate framework) as he goes into a lot of explanations. But for people looking for generic, standard patterns, some solutions seem to be specific to these frameworks
Also, this is very specialized to the Java world
That being
Sebastian Gebski
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hmm, it was quite ... controversial.

What was meh?
* I was surprised that the author has used Eventuate to illustrate some of the concepts - I understand he's also an author of Eventuate, but if he meant to promote his tool this way, it should be expressed in a title/subtitle IMHO
* some of what I would call "core" patterns of microservices architecture were actually skipped - e.g. service discovery is barely covered; I don't refer to my own opinion on what does belong and what doesn't - as a
Julio Biason
Oct 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle, it
I have a rule: The "badness" of a book is directly proportional to the number of "as follows" the author uses in it.

And, oh boy, do they use "as follows" in this book (no, seriously).

The first 1/4 of the book is pretty good, showing patterns and giving explanations about it. The rest of the book is strongly focused on external frameworks and libraries and has almost no patterns discussion at all -- for example, the second 1/4 is, basically, focused on the author's framework -- a Java framework.
Nafise Eskandani
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book for anyone who wants to research on microservices. Maybe not a good book(in terms of having too many details) for the ones who only want to use this architecture in practice.
Johnny
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not at all what I expected from a book called Microservice Patterns. I expected something like Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software or Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code, where different patterns are presented, pro and cons explained and one can use it as a reference book when one needs to consider different options one has to create his own microservices.

What I got is a wordy book that starts with a story about the reason we should write Microservices.
Dina Bogdan
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting book that helped me a lot to understand some old DDD concepts like CQRS, EventSourcing, Saga etc applied in a microservices architecture. It also helped me a lot to understand how should you build a microservices architecture, from where you should start, how you should split in your monolith system into microservices and which are the criterias to build a new microservice.
Arun Mahendrakar
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We have started breaking a monolithic application into corresponding microservices. There were quite a few concerns we faced from simplifying the overall architecture to the need of an aggregation layer to making it scalable to testing strategies and so on. If you need answers to such questions, this book is totally relevant for you.

This book is heavy in terms of its technical strength and expertise. I've had to read and reflect on many points it illustrates. Concepts like scale cube, hexagonal
Svetlio Blyahoff
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
A very good read. Very enlightening on the peculiarities and main issues of developing a micro-service architecture apps. It's as well very helpful to use as an index and get back to whenever a given topic arises in practice since topics are well structured and separated.

As a small drawback I'd point out the strict coupling of the book terminology and examples to the Java (Spring) ecosystem. Also the author have used the opportunity to show of his framework. That's not bad at all. It might as
David Robillard
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: it
This is great book if you're new to microservices. If, on the other hand, you're already running microservices in production, then I'd skip this book. The author comes from a developer background and it shows in his examples. Which is sometimes good, sometimes not. I'd have preferred to have more SRE and DevOps culture in the book. And please don't take anything for granted with regards to security. OAuth 2.0 is simply not correctly explained in the book. Considering the amount of information ...more
François Wouts
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book, with a lot of useful concepts. I especially liked the reasoning for when to do microservices, and when not to. The author does have a strong bias towards event sourcing which I felt wasn't completely justified (little discussion of what could go wrong), but each chapter has a number of useful tips. Overall a very good read.
Colin Jones
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Occasionally in the weeds with code, but lots of great modern practical examples of real problems and tradeoffs. The sagas stuff in particular probably I need another read, because after reading Designing Data Intensive Systems I’m skeptical of safety issues. But overall a terrific resource that I’ll be recommending folks read as they’re thinking through problems like these.
Max Sakalouski
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend this book if you want to dig into the microservices world. The book contains a lot of examples and recipes. The only drawback is numerous marketing attempts of author's microservices framework. Other than that, a must read for a modern software engineer.
Shenyu
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I will keep as a reference and re-read for sure. The book covers almost all of the fundamental terminologies used in the microservice field. I learned a lot from this book and found a lot of knowledge was very practical to be implemented in the daily development.
Kirill
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent overview of a microservice's ecosystem. The author covers the way from a monolith application to a microservice one. This book is a great choice for whose who are not familiar with microservices and wants to get overview about them.
Debashish Mishra
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can consider it a refresher course on Microservices and it has good pointers on next steps.
Marian
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
All the microservice code looks like J2EE applications with huge complexity and a lot of code.
Viacheslav Snizhko

• Domain-Driven Design Distilled
  • Kubernetes in Action
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • Designing Distributed Systems: Patterns and Paradigms for Scalable, Reliable Services
  • Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
  • Terraform: Up & Running: Writing Infrastructure as Code
  • Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System
  • Clean Agile: Back to Basics
  • Cloud Native Patterns: Designing change-tolerant software
  • Kotlin in Action

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »