Start by marking “Exotiqa (Exotiqa World #1)” as Want to Read:
Exotiqa (Exotiqa World #1)

Exotiqa

(Exotiqa World #1)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Librarian's note: Alternate cover edition of ASIN B06WRWZRMN here.

The second YA SyFy dystopian Thriller released by the debut author M. Black, dubbed Divergent meets iRobot. This novel will appeal to a vast array of audiences. Filled with haunting questions of consciousness and artificial intelligence, identity and self-awareness, politics and love, life and death, the rea
Published March 1st 2017

Ashley
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was super awesome! I'd give this a 9/10 on my grading scale. Just the description of this book alone should make you want to read it. But I know you have to read the review, so here goes.

In this world we have humans and androids. We have computer software downloaded into our brains! What could go wrong? Perhaps a man with a plan to enslave us through the computer software? Our heroine must save the world from becoming zombies under one man's control!

Plot deserves a 5/5. It is just such an i
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I won a free copy of Exotiqa from a Ripley’s Booklist giveaway. To be honest, I don’t even remember entering it, since it doesn’t sound like a book I would choose for myself. With a few exceptions, I tend to stay away from novels with a lot of robots and/or space travel, so I may not be the best audience for this book.

In Fione’s 2055 Canada, androids are normal. Flexbots roam the cities or work in factories, and technology has allowed for humans to acquire biotic limbs or connect mentally to the
Ameetha Widdershins
Enjoyable despite several typos and minor editing errors. In a world where AI is starting to become sentient, where does one draw the line between human and robot? And what is the experience like for both? These themes are lightly explored while the protagonists attempt to discover and stop a plot to control all humans and robots via a biomechanical interface program. The technical specifications and the philosophizing are nicely balanced and don't dominate the story which picks up the action an ...more
Marie Pedrick
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whilst a little slow to get started once it does it leaves you wanting to know where it will go. Added into that some totally unexpected twists and turns. Definitely one to watch.
Angela
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a good story, but it wasn’t really my cup of tea. It reminded me way too much of iRobot. It is a wonderful young adult story, though. It is very well-written and keeps a solid pace. It does start rather slow, but picks up steam quickly.
B.B. Morgan
Jan 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
First, I’d like to share a few quotes that really nail the gist of this book:

“…her lips spreading like melted butter in a large, appreciative smile.”

“I watch her big lips move like ocean waves, so unpredictable.”

“Every time she gets technical, I feel my concentration go blurry.” – This describes my feelings toward this novel.

Exotiqa had a killer premise. Rouge robots. Questions of humanity. Friendship and love – what could possibly go wrong?

Well, everything.

This novel had everything that I hate:
Charles Remington
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The thrilling opening scene of Exotiqa by M. Black (the pen name of Ami Blackwelder) finds Flexbot 001001F2050A running for her life. With the introduction of Exotiqa software, things have taken a sinister turn at the headquarters of the global robotics manufacturer ImaTech, and she is determined to make a new life for herself on Vancouver Island. Hunted by robots who were once her friends and monitored by the company’s airborne tracker spheres she steals into the bedroom of a young stranger to ...more
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Imagine living in a world where humans are becoming like robots and flexbots are becoming like humans. Well Fione, Maci and Pix do just that. The humans have what they call slabs inserted into their brain and a device in their palms. A slab work more like computers and palms work more like a phone or tablet. Fione uses her slab for things like working with files and her palm for surfing the internet and texting her friends.

Maci has runaway/escaped from ImaTech and her creator. Maci is a Flexbot
Andrea Stoeckel
I normally open a review with a quote from the book I am reviewing, and without a doubt there are plants to choose from as the dog eared pages reflect. However, on that score, I’m coming out of left field with this quote:

“The needs of the many ...outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." [Spock tells Kirk towards the end of “The Wrath of Khan”-1982]

This quote more than any of the ones from the book sums up the ethical conundrum presented to the senscient beings inhabiting British Columbia Cana
Payal Sinha
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EXOTIQA is an interesting science fiction story revolving around artificial intelligence. It is a time when boundaries between human and machine are diminishing. The machines are developing human like qualities like defying of orders and developing a sense of self, while the humans are developing machine like qualities like sensing the mood, heartbeat and temperature of another mortal without actual physical contact and browsing through internet, television and other gadgets by having a machine ...more
Melinda Spieker
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I rated this book 4 1/2 of 5 stars. I really enjoyed reading this book. Exotiqa is the the first book in the Exotiqa World series. I feel this book is very well written and the characters are very well developed. I found myself becoming attached to the characters and cheering them on through out the story. It was very hard to put the book down! The story follows a young human girl named Fiona, who is growing up in a world where robots are a part of life and a person can access the internet, make ...more
Shanell Meek
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intense excitement and adventure.

Exotiqa is the first book in the Exotiqa World series by M Black. I don’t usually get into robots and such but I actually found this book to be quiet interesting. Black drew me in and held me captivated for the entire book. Imagine a world where humans are more robot like and robots are more human like everyday and you have Exotiqa. The book centers around the human names Fiona and the robot named Maci. Fiona is on a mission to stop Exotiqa before her friends an
Pegboard
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found Exotiqa, book 1 of the Exotiqa World, fascinating from the very beginning. When a rogue robot enters Fione’s bedroom at night, she is unsure of what she should do. More “accidents” are happening when humans step out of line and the robots go too far in controlling the situation. Fione searches for ways to sway the general public on this topic and just maybe this robot, Maci, is her key in unraveling the uneasy feeling she has around the robots uploaded with the Exotiqa.

Maci, on the other
Marina
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book you shouldn't miss. It already starts with an interesting event: a suspenseful escape. I read Thirty first and I don't regret choosing this order. It works both ways. The advised order is Book 1 and then Book 1.5, but like stated you can start with either one. Personally I liked knowing who this two in the beginning were exactly. Yet it is not necessary to know this background, after all Exotiqa is book 1.
I wish I had read this as soon as I heard of this series. It's great. And mo
C. Gonzales
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You will definitely want to have plenty of allotted reading time before starting this one. It was hard to put down. I was so engrossed in the story that I put off many of my important things to do. M. Black does a great job of creating a Plot that keeps the reader invested and guessing.

I really liked the balance that was present between these characters.

We are given a novel that does not unravel predictably and will keep the reader guessing and enjoying the ride the whole way through. The story
Janet Graham
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Page Turner – I Want More!
I was entirely captured by this book. I can’t wait to read the rest of the series. One reason that I read YA books is that they tend to be on the clean and cozy side. This one is surely that. The story is riveting and complex, I needed to take my time and savor it. There is plenty of action, love and robotics! The story has several different layers going on and I enjoy that level of complexity. This author has done a wonderful job of overlaying her world onto ours
Nicky Marriott
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A free read for a voluntary review...my benefit!

This is one of those books that really gets you to think about the world we live in today and the potential near future's we could all face if we are too blase about tech and where it's going!
As you can tell, I loved this story telling and the different perspectives that it is written in...very different viewpoints...each v.valid.
Give this book a chance to capture your imagination as it has mine...you won't be disappointed!
Your work grows on me M.B
Bailey Ember
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a vivid new world M. Black has brought us into!

Be prepared to become addicted to this story from the very beginning. Black has created characters who are engaging and unique. The story itself has so many aspects you would not expect. Yes, its a Cyberpunk Story, but there is so much more woven throughout.

The twists and surprises are plenty and will keep you flipping pages til the very end.
Cami Hensley
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Connecting with the main character is key for a reader to determine whether they will not only relate, but be invested in the story itself. Fione has one of those personalities that really drew me in. She was witty, entertaining, and real. Maci and Pix are just as endearing.

The plot flowed smoothly and I didn't feel like anything was forced or majorly missing anything.

I loved this novel in its entirety.
Molly
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy, dystopian adventure fans
Recommended to Molly by: Arc copy. Voluntary review
An accidentally rogue human, who used to hunt violent bots, a FlexBot with Consciousness, a MetaBot and some geeks save the world from a program designed to erase and redo everything: Exotiqa.

An edge of your seat action adventure. The characters speak from various perspectives. Someone who is a tech phobe has close friends who are various types of bots. Dedicated super nerds are both rebels and somewhat obsessed geniuses. Average citizens buying into a Progom without really recognizing it.

The
Alan T
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Robot Dystopia

Fiona 16, meets Maci, a flexbot who is escaping from ImaTech. Fiona's friend Pix is also a flexbot, but is undercover. The software program Exotiqa is being pushed for both bots and humans but appears to have undesirable side affects for both.

Good charectorization and plotting.
Rachel Barnard
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The technology of the world in 2055 has given humans the ability to easily connect with others using integrated robotic parts. The technology has also created robots that are more human-like than ever. For Fione, as a human, she doesn't think that the robots are still obeying their fundamental laws. For Maci, as a robot, she has found a way to elevate her consciousness outside of the parameters of the robotic laws. And now her creators are out to shut her down.

The difference in thought, characte
Samantha Turley
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy wow. This novel is unique and vivid and so different than other novels out there that it really takes you out of the box and book and into a completely different time and place. I loved the conflict in the story and the fact that these characters were different from each other yet found common ground. These three were so fun to follow!
DingyDeb
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic storyline, sort of a mix of Stepford Wives and Invasion of the Body Snatchers! You will love this fast-paced YA book of sentient robots and how software can infect them as well as humans. I did.
Jackie
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, amazing fantasy. Slow to start but happy I continued. Just loved it. First from this author but definitely not the last. Received an ARC
Sarah Fox
I received free copy in exchange for review. I loved the book!
Danielle Goodwin
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
M. Black's "Exotiqa" is the first tale in the Exotiqa World series. I don't usually read this genre, but this story really hooked me in! This is an interesting dystopian future. Make it a movie! The AIs are well thought out. Feels like Short Circuit for the modern era. I would love to read more by this author.
Beth Tilley
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
M. Black has pulled me into her futuristic world - Fione lives with her parents in 2055 - an age where robotic creatures live among humans. Some of the "Bots" are developing consciousness. Evil forces are trying to take over the world through the program Exotiqa. Join Fione and her bot friends, Pix and Maci, on a quest to save the world. Awesome climatic ending and I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Bobbi
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story is a mixture of I, Robot and A.I. Artificial Intelligence. There is a mixture of emotions that go throughout this whole story and gets you thinking that quite possibly it may actually happen in the real world. The robots and humans I had the pleasure to meet throughout this whole story intrigued me and kept me wanting to learn more of their stories. Love is very prominent as well. M. Black really pulls you in with this strange world, I can't wait for more.
Katie
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
highly unique

received this book in exchange free, am voluntarily reviewing
Brilliantly written in the style of Issac Asimov's I Robot, intriguingly surprising, highly unique, is an
engaging read, with beautiful characters
highly recommend.

Exotiqa World (2 books)
  • Sphere (Exotiqa World #2)
“You can have all the information on culture in the world–’ Pix continues.
'We don’t possess all the information on culture, just three thousand, five hundred and thirty-four petabytes of data on human culture,’ I correct.
Pix smiles and finishes, ’…But unless the words become a part of you, you never really understand, do you?”
1 likes